Colorado CB John Walker -- grad transfer to MSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: Colorado CB John Walker -- grad transfer to MSU

Post by Cat Grad » Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:Does the grad transfer rule say that you can only transfer to a program that has a Masters Program in a discipline that your original school does not? If so, I wonder what programs we have that CU and UNLV do not that our new Olineman and new CB are studying in.

Or am I mis-remembering something.
I don't know if this is actually a grad transfer rule application as a kid has always been able to leave FBS and transfer to an FCS school AND play immediately.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon May 02, 2016 4:56 pm

Yes but they changed the one and done rule like 8 years ago or so?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon May 02, 2016 4:58 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:Does the grad transfer rule say that you can only transfer to a program that has a Masters Program in a discipline that your original school does not? If so, I wonder what programs we have that CU and UNLV do not that our new Olineman and new CB are studying in.

I don't know if this is actually a grad transfer rule application as a kid has always been able to leave FBS and transfer to an FCS school AND play immediately.
And if you think about it, what is our record against Colorado over the years anyway? Didn't we beat them the last time we played them and how'd they do in the BSC? Middle of the conference standings?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

And if you think about it, what is our record against Colorado over the years anyway? Didn't we beat them the last time we played them and how'd they do in the BSC? Middle of the conference standings?
Grey Dawn?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

4thecats
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by 4thecats » Mon May 02, 2016 5:19 pm

It seems we get too excited about these drop down players and more often then not, come away being let down. I will hope for the bestbest, but l will have to temper my excitement.. 2nd string and got the "most improved" award. In my experience, that's usuallyusually a feel good award to someone who is lacking in the talent area.. Hope I am pleasantly surprised

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon May 02, 2016 5:21 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Grey Dawn?
You mention a parody. It's similar to a question you posed in another thread about NDSU getting worn out in our conference. :lol: Even with over twenty more scholarships, I doubt Colorado could finish in the top half of the Big Sky year in and year out. They're too mellow...

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Mon May 02, 2016 5:28 pm

4thecats wrote:It seems we get too excited about these drop down players and more often then not, come away being let down. I will hope for the bestbest, but l will have to temper my excitement.. 2nd string and got the "most improved" award. In my experience, that's usuallyusually a feel good award to someone who is lacking in the talent area.. Hope I am pleasantly surprised
I think we have had more drop downs that didn't do anything for our program than drop downs that actually helped our program. I was sold on Marino like everyone else. That kid could have been hearing his name called in Chicago on draft day. Hope this kid turns heads come September and takes advantage of this opportunity.

Punters are people too!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon May 02, 2016 5:30 pm

4thecats wrote:It seems we get too excited about these drop down players and more often then not, come away being let down. I will hope for the bestbest, but l will have to temper my excitement.. 2nd string and got the "most improved" award. In my experience, that's usuallyusually a feel good award to someone who is lacking in the talent area.. Hope I am pleasantly surprised
Or you can watch his 30 minutes of highlight tape and use your eyes. "Most Improved" means you got better...period. For example, Steph Curry got second in the "Most Improved" category for the NBA this year. I don't think Mr. Curry lacks in the talent area. Some of our best players through the years have gotten "Most Improved" awards during the offseason and spring ball. And if you are second string at a PAC-12 school, that usually means you are good enough for 1st string or provide quality depth at the FCS level. And what is wrong with being excited about players who can potentially help our football team? Until proven otherwise, I have no reason to believe John Walker isn't going to help our secondary in one way or another.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

KittieKop

Re: CB grad transfer

Post by KittieKop » Mon May 02, 2016 5:34 pm

lutecat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:I don't see much of a similarity. I doubt that Colorado fans will be upset that a backup cornerback has left to play at MSU, but it's certainly reasonable to expect some fans at a FCS school to be temporarily upset when a starting QB that's considered one of the best in the nation leaves. I mean you can't really chide MSU fans that were upset over Prukop leaving at this point.
Do you want to POKE THE BEAR THAT IS PapaG on this issue? It already derailed multiple threads back in December and January. I agree that from the angle you described, it isn't quite comparable. However, we are using the rule to our advantage now so shouldn't it really be a wash at this point?
Someone already poked the bear, Kittiecop a few days ago about Ash, lets just not poke this bear too.
This bear is OK and over it. I say we poke PapaG. :lol:

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon May 02, 2016 6:26 pm

KittieKop wrote:
lutecat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:I don't see much of a similarity. I doubt that Colorado fans will be upset that a backup cornerback has left to play at MSU, but it's certainly reasonable to expect some fans at a FCS school to be temporarily upset when a starting QB that's considered one of the best in the nation leaves. I mean you can't really chide MSU fans that were upset over Prukop leaving at this point.
Do you want to POKE THE BEAR THAT IS PapaG on this issue? It already derailed multiple threads back in December and January. I agree that from the angle you described, it isn't quite comparable. However, we are using the rule to our advantage now so shouldn't it really be a wash at this point?
Someone already poked the bear, Kittiecop a few days ago about Ash, lets just not poke this bear too.
Let's not, I'm not sure I can take 50 posts in a row.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon May 02, 2016 6:31 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
lutecat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Let's not, I'm not sure I can take 50 posts in a row.
I just found it funny. No need to revisit it. I hope this young man enjoys a fall in Bozeman and has a big impact on the field.

Have you run into my brother in Billings yet? He moved there last June.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Mon May 02, 2016 8:18 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
I think we have had more drop downs that didn't do anything for our program than drop downs that actually helped our program. I was sold on Marino like everyone else. That kid could have been hearing his name called in Chicago on draft day. Hope this kid turns heads come September and takes advantage of this opportunity.
But then half of our recent (5yrs) draft picks was a drop-down.

Trying to remember drop downs, without researching it, you mentioned Marino, from memory: (I know there's a lot more)
Marino -
Carter +
Tappan ?
Keeton +
Knight + then -
Sandland ++
Brown +
Barnett +
Thomas +
Kempt +
Akpla +
Robinson +
Rolovich +

+ meaning they played and made positive contributions
- meaning bad apple or non- contributor
++ all- American and NFL draft pick

To me, if we get playing time production from a drop-down we are better off for taking them, with the obvious exception of Marino. Therefore helping our program.

What other drop-downs have done nothing for our program? It seems to me we have been better off for taking drop-downs all things considered. Remember only about one in four HS recruits end up playing out their eligibility. I doubt drop-downs overall have that low of a track record for us.

It looks to me like we've got two drop-down DBs that can and should contribute this year, and for sure a drop-down center that will contribute. I'll take them.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Mon May 02, 2016 8:43 pm

Marino never play a down for ASU. He was a gray shirt. All he gets credit for is having a big head and being a douche bag.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Mon May 02, 2016 9:12 pm

I agree wholeheartedly, the drop downs haven't worked out lately. Having said that, we obviously need help on defense and I'm open for any drop down right now because the defense has been that bad lately. But your right, they haven't been any more impressive than say a three year recruit.

If your left, you aren’t right.

4thecats

Post by 4thecats » Mon May 02, 2016 9:42 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Or you can watch his 30 minutes of highlight tape and use your eyes. "Most Improved" means you got better...period. For example, Steph Curry got second in the "Most Improved" category for the NBA this year. I don't think Mr. Curry lacks in the talent area. Some of our best players through the years have gotten "Most Improved" awards during the offseason and spring ball. And if you are second string at a PAC-12 school, that usually means you are good enough for 1st string or provide quality depth at the FCS level. And what is wrong with being excited about players who can potentially help our football team? Until proven otherwise, I have no reason to believe John Walker isn't going to help our secondary in one way or another.
Nothing wrong with being excited.. I would have been joining you in the excitement in the past. I was just pointing out my lack of enthusiasm this year as I have been let down with my expectations of a drop down players too much.
I hope the most improved is to the level you speak of and I am wrong. Our defense was so atrocious last year, that new coaching alone was not going to help. Our personnel was just not good enough. So like some have said. The drop downs can't hurt. I just invision a drop down coming in and starting.. Not just giving depth.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:53 pm

4thecats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Nothing wrong with being excited.. I would have been joining you in the excitement in the past. I was just pointing out my lack of enthusiasm this year as I have been let down with my expectations of a drop down players too much.
I hope the most improved is to the level you speak of and I am wrong. Our defense was so atrocious last year, that new coaching alone was not going to help. Our personnel was just not good enough. So like some have said. The drop downs can't hurt. I just invision a drop down coming in and starting.. Not just giving depth.
Do you consider JC transfers to be drop downs?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

4thecats

Post by 4thecats » Mon May 02, 2016 10:17 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
4thecats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
You know, that is a good question.. I guess if I think about it, I do have a sense of excitement for a JC transfer. Maybe not as_much as a true fbs drop down, but I do have expectations for them to have an immediate impact. Maybe my expectations are too high for them as well.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 02, 2016 10:22 pm

4thecats wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
4thecats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
You know, that is a good question.. I guess if I think about it, I do have a sense of excitement for a JC transfer. Maybe not as_much as a true fbs drop down, but I do have expectations for them to have an immediate impact. Maybe my expectations are too high for them as well.
I think you might be blending them together. FBS drop downs have good success rate, but JC transfers do not.

toM StUber

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon May 02, 2016 11:04 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
4thecats wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
4thecats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
I think you might be blending them together. FBS drop downs have good success rate, but JC transfers do not.
In Bozeman. Snyder at Kansas State did very well with JUCOs.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Tue May 03, 2016 12:17 am

TomCat88 wrote: I think you might be blending them together. FBS drop downs have good success rate, but JC transfers do not.
Exactly.

Guys are at a JC for a reason.

Many of our drop-downs actually played at the schools they came from, and contributed here.

Des Carter played at UAB and started for us

Brown had limited PT at Baylor and is in the WR rotation for us. Didn't expect too much when he came in, being a walk-on at Baylor and DP's bud

Sandland played at Miami but didn't start, he had a great year for us and is our only draft pick in recent years

Barnett started at Texas before his injury, and started for us

Keeton started at Nevada and started for us

Robinson played at Nebraska and earned the starting FB nod there before starting for us - stud

Kempt started games at Oregon and started for us before McGhee came along

Akpla from Oregon became an all-time great at MSU

Honestly, the only disappointing drop-down I can think of is Marino. And as was mentioned he never played a down at ASU. In fact, he was a non- qualifier and never even enrolled at ASU, so technically he wasn't even a drop-down.

The drop-downs coming in this year should all contribute right away. The only one I'm not sure about is Carrol from UNLV, even though he is 6'5" and 320. The one that worries me a little is Nate Dogg's kid, but Choate knows him and his story first hand so I trust Coach.

I can't mix drop-downs with JC transfers. To me, it's like we're a AAA ball club, guys coming from the majors will have a different expectation from me than guys coming from A or AA ball clubs. But I don't expect anyone to come in and Chuck Norris the Big Sky, not even the best player in the SEC.