Colorado CB John Walker -- grad transfer to MSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Colorado CB John Walker -- grad transfer to MSU

Post by Hawks86 » Sun May 01, 2016 12:49 pm

https://twitter.com/BrianHowell33/status/726620474910765057

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

snowxlt
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: CB grad transfer

Post by snowxlt » Sun May 01, 2016 1:29 pm

Position: Defensive Back
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 180
Year: Junior
Hometown: Washington, D.C.
High School: H.D. Woodson
Experience: 2 Letters
AT COLORADO: This Season (Jr.) - He ended spring practices listed second at both right cornerback and the nickel positions. The coaches selected him as the recipient of the Hale Irwin Award, presented to the most improved defensive back during spring practices.

2014 (Soph.) - He appeared in all 12 games, including seven starts, in playing 438 snaps from scrimmage, the most by any part-time starter on defense. He was mainly in at the nickel position (where he made all seven of his starts) in recording 28 tackles (19 solo, one for a loss); he also had two tackles for zero gains, three third down stops, a forced fumble, one quarterback pressure, a touchdown save and five passes broken up. He had a career/season-high five tackles (four solo) against Hawai’i, and had four tackles three other times (Colorado State, Arizona State, Washington). He had 12 special teams points on the season, coming via five tackles (four solo, three inside-the-20), with one downed punt, a forced fair catch, a first downfield credit that altered a return and a touchdown save.

2013 (Fr.-RS) - He played in 10 games, starting one (at nickel back at Arizona State), but missed the last two games after suffering a hip contusion in practice (on November 19). He was in for 85 snaps from scrimmage (46 in his one start), and was credited with seven tackles (three solo). He had two tackles (one unassisted) against Arizona State, with one stop in five other games. On special teams, he earned 15 points in CU’s elaborate scoring system, tying for the fourth-most on the team; he was in on seven tackles (four solo, one inside-the-20), along with five knockdown blocks and two forced fair catches. He had a tremendous spring, recording 22 tackles (21 solo, one for a loss) and five third downs stops in the four main spring scrimmages.

2012 (Fr.) - Redshirted; practiced the entire fall in the secondary. He suffered a severe cut to his hand and in particular his flexor tendon on the third day of practice that ticketed him for a redshirt year.

HIGH SCHOOL - As a senior, was ranked the No. 51 cornerback in the country by ESPN.com, which also ranked him as the No. 6 player from the District of Columbia and No. 118 overall player in the Atlantic Region. SuperPrep ranked him as the No. 7 player from Washington D.C., and No. 48 player in the Mid-Atlantic Region (the eighth defensive back). He was named All-Met (Metro Area Washington, D.C.) by the Washington Post and the Pigskin Club of Washington, D.C. He had 84 tackles (57 solo) with four quarterback sacks, three forced fumbles and two interceptions while averaging over three pass break-ups per game; all three of his forced fumbles were picked up by fellow CU signee De’Jon Wilson. He was stellar on special teams as the gunner on punt return and also played on kickoff return. He blocked three kicks on the season, two punts and a field goal. H.D. Woodson was his third high school in four years, as he attended Archbishop Carroll High School his sophomore and junior seasons, playing quarterback as a sophomore and cornerback as a junior (48 tackles, 29 solo). He attended Frost Friendship Collegiate his freshman year but did not play any sports. Under coach Greg Fuller, Woodson was 6-5 his senior season; under Rick Houchens, Carroll was 6-4 his junior year and 2-8 his sophomore season.

ACADEMICS - He is major in Sociology at Colorado. He was on the Honor Roll throughout high school, attaining a perfect 4.0 grade point in his final three quarters, and was Woodson’s salutatorian.

96 Engineering and 99 Education

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Sun May 01, 2016 1:36 pm

Welcome to MSU! Looks like a solid player and a good student.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun May 01, 2016 1:48 pm

Brief video analysis:
Pretty good ball skills. Definitely looks to get physical and tries to make a play. Good speed as well. Kept up with the receivers for Cal in the few plays I looked at.

Not ideal size but seems to hold his own. Excited to see him in August. At the very least, depth is a good thing.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Sun May 01, 2016 3:57 pm

Thank God of Football we got another experienced CB/Nickel. Can't hurt our secondary to have two guys coming in that have started Pac12 games.

Welcome John Walker!

And welcome Johnnie Walker, but that's a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon May 02, 2016 8:18 am

This guy definitely looks good on tape. He's got a ton of experience. MSU is now solid at cornerback with Alley, Strong, Hale and Walker. Not to mention Dodd, Evans, Harris, Gates and Stern. Nickel and dime packages look really good.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon May 02, 2016 11:08 am

So he quit on his teammates at CU and the grad transfer rule is a joke!

Isn't that what we're supposed to say?

Anyhow, more help for the defense. Welcome to the Bobcat family!!

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon May 02, 2016 11:12 am

Not sure I follow what you're saying PapaG.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon May 02, 2016 11:13 am

iaafan wrote:Not sure I follow what you're saying PapaG.
Prukop...

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon May 02, 2016 11:18 am

iaafan wrote:Not sure I follow what you're saying PapaG.
He is an Oregon fan and defended Dakota throughout his transfer to the Ducks. He made some valid points through the process and others made good points against the transfer rule as well. The "quitting on your teammates" is a valid argument and debatable point in my opinion. But I also think the "he graduated and should be able to do what he wants" argument is valid as well. We have now used the rule on two current players on our roster: Patrick Carroll from UNLV and John Walker from Colorado. Maybe we should have embraced this rule more in the past instead of being stubborn on it and not having a backup plan in place if a kid uses it to his advantage. Just a thought.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon May 02, 2016 11:19 am

I don't see much of a similarity. I doubt that Colorado fans will be upset that a backup cornerback has left to play at MSU, but it's certainly reasonable to expect some fans at a FCS school to be temporarily upset when a starting QB that's considered one of the best in the nation leaves. I mean you can't really chide MSU fans that were upset over Prukop leaving at this point.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon May 02, 2016 11:22 am

iaafan wrote:I don't see much of a similarity. I doubt that Colorado fans will be upset that a backup cornerback has left to play at MSU, but it's certainly reasonable to expect some fans at a FCS school to be temporarily upset when a starting QB that's considered one of the best in the nation leaves. I mean you can't really chide MSU fans that were upset over Prukop leaving at this point.
Do you want to poke the bear that is PapaG on this issue? It already derailed multiple threads back in December and January. I agree that from the angle you described, it isn't quite comparable. However, we are using the rule to our advantage now so shouldn't it really be a wash at this point?

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Colorado CB Walker transferring to MSU

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 02, 2016 11:36 am

Walker has played in 30+ games and started several primarily as a nickel back.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Re: Colorado CB Walker transferring to MSU

Post by catsrback76 » Mon May 02, 2016 11:44 am

TomCat88 wrote:Walker has played in 30+ games and started several primarily as a nickel back.
I hope he has skills enough to play the dime back!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon May 02, 2016 11:50 am

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Mon May 02, 2016 12:14 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:I don't see much of a similarity. I doubt that Colorado fans will be upset that a backup cornerback has left to play at MSU, but it's certainly reasonable to expect some fans at a FCS school to be temporarily upset when a starting QB that's considered one of the best in the nation leaves. I mean you can't really chide MSU fans that were upset over Prukop leaving at this point.
Do you want to POKE THE BEAR THAT IS PapaG on this issue? It already derailed multiple threads back in December and January. I agree that from the angle you described, it isn't quite comparable. However, we are using the rule to our advantage now so shouldn't it really be a wash at this point?
Someone already poked the bear, Kittiecop a few days ago about Ash, lets just not poke this bear too.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon May 02, 2016 12:37 pm

I'll try and remember to put the players name in the title next time Tom. :wink:

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 02, 2016 3:44 pm

Hawks86 wrote:I'll try and remember to put the players name in the title next time Tom. :wink:
The new AD says we gotta start doing the little things, so... :)

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

kmax
Site Admin

Re: Colorado CB John Walker -- grad transfer to MSU

Post by kmax » Mon May 02, 2016 4:22 pm

Merged and retitled.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Re: Colorado CB John Walker -- grad transfer to MSU

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon May 02, 2016 4:30 pm

Does the grad transfer rule say that you can only transfer to a program that has a Masters Program in a discipline that your original school does not? If so, I wonder what programs we have that CU and UNLV do not that our new Olineman and new CB are studying in.

Or am I mis-remembering something.