New BSC commish.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

New BSC commish.

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:58 pm

https://twitter.com/BigSkyConf/status/726109013088169985

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: New BSC commish.

Post by DaCats21 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:09 pm

Good resume. 10 years with the Big Ten and experience working for NCAA. Two sport athlete at Texas A&M

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:50 pm

I don't like her, the nose looks too much like bobby Hauck-

FTG- GO CATS GO!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:08 pm

DaCats21 wrote:Good resume. 10 years with the Big Ten and experience working for NCAA. Two sport athlete at Texas A&M
Big Ten experience = Big Plus
NCAA experience = Big Minus!

In all seriousness, I'm glad to see this hire as I think the Big Sky will benefit from someone coming in from the outside and bringing some fresh ideas to the table.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:19 pm

So at this point in time, what are the biggest priorities for the big sky conference, and what skill set is most needed to leave this conference in to the future?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:13 pm

wbtfg wrote:So at this point in time, what are the biggest priorities for the big sky conference, and what skill set is most needed to leave this conference in to the future?
Good question. Keeping 14 bosses (Presidents) and 14 athletic directors happy has to be a very tough gig.

Figuring out what to do with football after Idaho comes in. 14 teams is a lot. Do we split into two divisions or even split into two separate conferences. And if there is some sort of split-where is the line drawn. Do we try to get even bigger by courting New Mexico State?

Building the Big Sky basketball tournament.

Maintaining and improving the football TV deal with ROOT.

Getting a TV deal for basketball.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:48 pm

mslacatfan wrote:I don't like her, the nose looks too much like bobby Hauck-

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:45 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:So at this point in time, what are the biggest priorities for the big sky conference, and what skill set is most needed to leave this conference in to the future?
Good question. Keeping 14 bosses (Presidents) and 14 athletic directors happy has to be a very tough gig.

Figuring out what to do with football after Idaho comes in. 14 teams is a lot. Do we split into two divisions or even split into two separate conferences. And if there is some sort of split-where is the line drawn. Do we try to get even bigger by courting New Mexico State?

Coming from the Big Ten I'd be willing to bet a 9 game conference schedule will be on the table, along with 2 divisions. And the Big Ten also made a rule about not playing any FCS schools so it'll be interesting to see if she takes a similar approach with D II and lower division schools. Not saying that'd happen but I'm sure it'll be discussed. I would also think with such a large conference a bigger TV deal is important. I would gladly watch another conference game on Saturdays if they televised more than one each Saturday.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:19 am

In football, helping the Conference and it's members navigate the changes coming at the FBS level. There is greater and greater separation between the Power 5 FBS Conferences, and the Group of 5 FBS Conferences. You are really starting to see it with the SEC TV deal, and the recently signed Big 10 TV deal. This will have implications on the lower conferences - we are starting to see it with Idaho and New Mexico State. Obviously this effects FCS (as we're seeing with Idaho).

There's more of these changes to come....and we need to position ourselves as a conference and as a school to best take advantage of them.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:56 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

Coming from the Big Ten I'd be willing to bet a 9 game conference schedule will be on the table, along with 2 divisions. And the Big Ten also made a rule about not playing any FCS schools so it'll be interesting to see if she takes a similar approach with D II and lower division schools. Not saying that'd happen but I'm sure it'll be discussed. I would also think with such a large conference a bigger TV deal is important. I would gladly watch another conference game on Saturdays if they televised more than one each Saturday.
The FBS promotes a conference championship game which makes divisions sensible, the FCS however makes conference championships games prohibitive, I don't think divisions are the best thing for the Big Sky, maybe go to 3 rivals instead of 2. this should make it easier should we need to add or drop a team in the future. Splitting into 2 conferences doesn't make sense either, we have more strength and stability together, granted we still only have one AQ but I don't think it matters, top steams will still get in and have a shot at the playoffs, bubble teams will still be on the bubble.

Idaho should help with the tv deal, they are in the footprint of Root NW, I thought the TV deal included some BB. Yes the tv deal needs expanded but only if streaming is done for all games and the Root games are no longer excluded. I get Root so it doesn't matter to me but all games should be available online.

On the surface this looks like a good hire to me.

I hope that with replay being used now the conference will improve the reffing by holding them (refs) accountable, the bonehead reffing calls are a big problem IMO and the conference is directly responsible for no doing anything about it. Bad refs make the Big Sky look bush league.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:25 am

The Big Sky and ROOT have both been saying that they are working on streaming for years. I would make that a priority in contract talks.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:59 am

I didn't even know what they were in the past.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:20 am

TomCat88 wrote:

I didn't even know what they were in the past.
I would have to say that I didn't know what they were either, which in my case can maybe attributed to not following it closely enough. When someone like TomCat says it however it makes me wonder if that might say something about the past commissioner and what level of leadership and vision he was bringing to the table. I look forward to the energy and vision the new commissioner can provide.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DaCats21 » Tue May 03, 2016 2:37 pm

New Big Sky commish: Value in FBS games

(STATS) - In moving from an FBS conference that is opposed to scheduling FCS schools anymore to an FCS conference thriving off the challenge of facing the bigger schools, Andrea Williams may find it hard to stand on one side of the fence.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... mes-050316

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue May 03, 2016 5:29 pm

Big Sky Breakdown: New commissioner Andrea Williams talks about her vision for the Big Sky Conference
http://skylinesportsmt.com/andrea-willi ... ence-call/

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:08 am

Just remembered twitter will be streaming some NFL games this year. Being the first ncaa conference to partner with twitter for live streaming would be huge. Want to increase viewership? How about 800 million possible viewers.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Mon May 09, 2016 7:29 pm

Colter, this was very informative. Thank you for giving us access. It is much appreciated.