2016 Offensive Line

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

2016 Offensive Line

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:19 am

https://twitter.com/CoachArmy/status/721188448611098624 Top Row: Coach Brian Armstrong, Wade Webster, Colin Hammock, Jake McFetridge, Kash Perry (between McFetridge and Gillis), Caleb Gillis, Wilson Brott (between Gillis and Mahoney), Dylan Mahoney, Monte Folsom
Bottom Row: Mitch Brott, J.P. Flynn, and Alex Neale

Not Pictured: Lane Knows His Gun (walk-on who likely won't make roster out of spring if I had to guess), Garrett Gregg (took center and left guard reps), Doug Hanson (injured and I don't know if he will play his senior year), Bryan Wilkes (injured during spring; roster spot should be safe)

Not going to lie, they were a pleasant surprise this spring. They weren't perfect but those reps last year for Dylan Mahoney and Caleb Gillis paid bigger dividends than we might have thought. Alex Neale has been a godsend at center. Two freshman also got their feet wet with the starters: Mitch Brott (Right Tackle) and Jake McFetridge (Left Guard). Wade Webster also got good reps between minor injuries this spring and will provide good depth.

Mahoney, Gillis, Flynn, Neale, Folsom, Brott, McFetridge, Webster gives us eight deep on the line and I wouldn't be surprised if we brought in another for more depth. It won't be as big of a line as past years but I don't think that will be a major issue from what I have been told.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2016 Offensive Line

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:22 pm

That's good to hear. I think lots of fans were apprehensive with Armstrong coming from the NAIA ranks and running the OL. I've had more than one person shake their head at the notion of three ex-Frontier guys on the staff. Nonsense, of course, but a reality. I always point out that Choate, Messingham, Miller, Hout, Alexander, Gregorak, Ioane, Pitre all have DI experience, so the NAIA presence isn't that large.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:16 pm

I think a lot of the NAIA buzz was created because Choate hired those guys early. If where your coaches were is an indication of where you're going, then MSU is in good hands.
Choate: Boise State, UW
Messingham: Iowa State OC, So. Mississippi
Miller: Boise State
Hout: WSU, BSU
Pitre: Colorado
Alexander: UW, BSU (30 NFL starts)
Gregorak: UW/UM

I didn't realize this, but Gregorak was at UM 12 years and coached 29 all-BSC linebackers it says in his bio. Unless that's a typo, that's five years with all three LBs making all-BSC and seven years with 2 of 3 making it.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:16 pm

iaafan wrote:I think a lot of the NAIA buzz was created because Choate hired those guys early. If where your coaches were is an indication of where you're going, then MSU is in good hands.
Choate: Boise State, UW
Messingham: Iowa State OC, So. Mississippi
Miller: Boise State
Hout: WSU, BSU
Pitre: Colorado
Alexander: UW, BSU (30 NFL starts)
Gregorak: UW/UM

I didn't realize this, but Gregorak was at UM 12 years and coached 29 all-BSC linebackers it says in his bio. Unless that's a typo, that's five years with all three LBs making all-BSC and seven years with 2 of 3 making it.
Speaking of Gregorak...the first time I remember him was 11-19-2011. The Bobcats were having a tremendous season. After a 10-27 loss to Utah the Cats rolled on undefeated putting up 38, 43, 36, 31, 38, 41, 31, 54, 44. Then came 11-19. The griz came to Bozeman to face the #1 Bobcats. The Cats offense was hammered on every level. I remember Termaine Johnson walking up to the scrimmage line and blitzing DM time-after-time. The Cats had no answer. The TV camera showed a jubliant Gregorak time after time. I recall asking myself, "why can't we get someone like him?" :D

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:46 pm

Things certainly are set up better for 2016 than 2007. MSU was rocked by a drug scandal, had APR problems that led to scholarship reductions and a new coaching staff made of from guys mostly from Drake. MSU comes into the Choate era off a clean slate with a highly decorated coaching staff.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:38 pm

iaafan wrote:Things certainly are set up better for 2016 than 2007. MSU was rocked by a drug scandal, had APR problems that led to scholarship reductions and a new coaching staff made of from guys mostly from Drake. MSU comes into the Choate era off a clean slate with a highly decorated coaching staff.
I guess it depends upon how you look at it. In 2007, we were also coming off our best season in 22 years, since the 1984 NC season. Currently, we're coming off our worst season in 15 years, since the 0-11 season in 2000. That being said, I'm very excited about the new coaching staff, and very optimistic about the future of MSU football. The program may indeed be better off in some ways than it was nine years ago, but I'd say that it's actually sort of a mixed bag, when comparing the current situation, versus the situation at the time of our last coaching change.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:24 pm

John K wrote:
iaafan wrote:Things certainly are set up better for 2016 than 2007. MSU was rocked by a drug scandal, had APR problems that led to scholarship reductions and a new coaching staff made of from guys mostly from Drake. MSU comes into the Choate era off a clean slate with a highly decorated coaching staff.
I guess it depends upon how you look at it. In 2007, we were also coming off our best season in 22 years, since the 1984 NC season. Currently, we're coming off our worst season in 15 years, since the 0-11 season in 2000. That being said, I'm very excited about the new coaching staff, and very optimistic about the future of MSU football. The program may indeed be better off in some ways than it was nine years ago, but I'd say that it's actually sort of a mixed bag, when comparing the current situation, versus the situation at the time of our last coaching change.
We were loaded with talent up and down the lineup in 2007 when Ash took over from Kramer. Yes, we were limited in scholarships but the team was in great shape player wise. I think we are quite thin right now especially on the defensive side of things and I am not convinced that up front on offense things are going to be good. I have high hopes but I think the upcoming season is going to be very disappointing.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:21 pm

seataccat wrote:
John K wrote:
We were loaded with talent up and down the lineup in 2007 when Ash took over from Kramer. Yes, we were limited in scholarships but the team was in great shape player wise. I think we are quite thin right now especially on the defensive side of things and I am not convinced that up front on offense things are going to be good. I have high hopes but I think the upcoming season is going to be very disappointing.
Wow! There's going to be a winner and loser in this one.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber