Beau Sandland - NFL Combine Invite

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Re: Beau Sandland - NFL Combine Invite

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:32 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
kwcat wrote:Just another commentary and update from the Packers on this one.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/ ... z441hznRvH
The Pack just signed Jared Cook, a first rounder a few years back, but never amounted to much in St Louis. I'm not sure how much of that is Cook or St Louis, but they gave him a fist full of cash so I think it's easy to say GB is probably not going to draft Beau. Which sucks cause I'm a Pack fan and that would be sweet.
1) He was a 3rd round pick.

2) They didn't give him that much money. Plus the contract is most likely incentive based.

3) It's only a 1 year contract, so it's basically a trial. I don't think this keeps them from taking a late round flyer on Sandland. He's probably a 5th-7th rounder, so I wouldn't be surprised if they take him, or another TE in that range.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:01 am

bobcat99 wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

The Pack just signed Jared Cook, a first rounder a few years back, but never amounted to much in St Louis. I'm not sure how much of that is Cook or St Louis, but they gave him a fist full of cash so I think it's easy to say GB is probably not going to draft Beau. Which sucks cause I'm a Pack fan and that would be sweet.
1) He was a 3rd round pick. True, I misread this

2) They didn't give him that much money. Plus the contract is most likely incentive based. his salary is 2.75 mil, with .9 mill in incentives... That's a lot of money to throw at someone if you don't think they're going to work out.

3) It's only a 1 year contract, so it's basically a trial. I don't think this keeps them from taking a late round flyer on Sandland. He's probably a 5th-7th rounder, so I wouldn't be surprised if they take him, or another TE in that range.
I wouldn't count on them drafting anyone at TE, they still have Rodgers too. It seems to me like it's more of an insurance policy with the one year deal, everything I've read about Cook is the pack have wanted him for a while now.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:42 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

2) They didn't give him that much money. Plus the contract is most likely incentive based. his salary is 2.75 mil, with .9 mill in incentives... That's a lot of money to throw at someone if you don't think they're going to work out.

I wouldn't count on them drafting anyone at TE, they still have Rodgers too. It seems to me like it's more of an insurance policy with the one year deal, everything I've read about Cook is the pack have wanted him for a while now.
His salary is tied for 28th in the NFL for TE's, so he's in the 30's salary wise...it's not that much money. If they like a guy like Sandland, Cook isn't going to keep them from drafting him.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:53 am

bobcat99 wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

His salary is tied for 28th in the NFL for TE's, so he's in the 30's salary wise...it's not that much money. If they like a guy like Sandland, Cook isn't going to keep them from drafting him.
Plus the Pack have tons of picks this year, including 4 in the 4th round. They have always liked to draft and develop their own guys so I would still say it could happen.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:41 pm

CelticCat wrote:
John K wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

I'm going to guess that it was mostly a function of playing for the Rams. They've had a bunch of high draft picks over the last few years, and very few of them have really lived up to expectations. I don't know if they've drafted poorly, or if the coaching staff just hasn't done a very good job of developing these players, or maybe it's both to some degree. I tend to believe that Jeff Fisher is highly overrated. Sorry to derail this thread, but I'm a very frustrated Rams fan. The last couple of years, everyone has been expecting them to take a big leap forward, but so far it hasn't happened. They haven't been .500 or made the playoffs since 2004. The "Greatest Show On Turf" days are a distant memory.
Also a Rams fan, and agree with that assessment. I can't tell if the Rams just kill talent, or Rams management can't draft for sh*t. I would probably say 75% the system, 25% bad scouting, at least on high draft picks.

2002 - #31 Robert Thomas OLB - who?
2003 - #12 pick, Jimmy Kennedy DT Penn State - who?
2004 - #24 Steven Jackson - that was a good one
2005 - #19 Alex Barron T - looked good on paper, was mediocre for 5 years, out of the league by 2011
2006 - #15 Tye Hill - good rookie season, out of the league by 2011
2007 - #13 Adam Carriker - Adam Carriker - Out of the league by 2012
2008 - #2 Chris Long - yes!
2009 - #2 Jason Smith T - injured, struggled, out of the league after just 4 seasons
2010 - #1 Sam Bradford - well at least he is still a starting QB in the league
2011 - #14 Robert Quinn - stud
2012 - #14 Michael Brockers - has been a solid DT
2013 - #8 Tavon Austin - could be so much better somewhere else
2013 - #30 Alec Ogletree - Solid enough
2014 - #2 Greg Robinson T - Decent at best but improving
2014 - #13 Aaron Donald - stud
2015 - #10 Todd Gurley - Rookie of the year

Man that is a depressing list of washouts and wasted draft picks.
I remember thinking at the time of the RG3 trade, that if they do a good job of drafting, they should be able to assemble a foundation of good young players that could set them up to be good for the next 10 years. Obviously it hasn't worked out that way. They've certainly had their fair share of draft busts, but again, I'm not sure if they just really suck at evaluating talent, or if their coaching staff isn't doing a very good job of developing that talent. Personally, I don't understand why everyone seems to think that Jeff Fisher is such a great coach. If you look at his record at Tennessee, it's not really all that good. In about 15 years there, he won only one playoff game, other than the year they went to the Super Bowl.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:28 pm

CelticCat wrote:
John K wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

I'm going to guess that it was mostly a function of playing for the Rams. They've had a bunch of high draft picks over the last few years, and very few of them have really lived up to expectations. I don't know if they've drafted poorly, or if the coaching staff just hasn't done a very good job of developing these players, or maybe it's both to some degree. I tend to believe that Jeff Fisher is highly overrated. Sorry to derail this thread, but I'm a very frustrated Rams fan. The last couple of years, everyone has been expecting them to take a big leap forward, but so far it hasn't happened. They haven't been .500 or made the playoffs since 2004. The "Greatest Show On Turf" days are a distant memory.
Also a Rams fan, and agree with that assessment. I can't tell if the Rams just kill talent, or Rams management can't draft for sh*t. I would probably say 75% the system, 25% bad scouting, at least on high draft picks.

2005 - #19 Alex Barron T - looked good on paper, was mediocre for 5 years, out of the league by 2011
2009 - #2 Jason Smith T - injured, struggled, out of the league after just 4 seasons

Jimmy Kennedy was a highly touted player. Everyone liked the pick when it happened. Just ended up a bust.
Jackson and Long were great. 05-07, and 09-10 were bad.

But everything they've done after Bradford has been pretty solid.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:02 am

CatBlitz wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
John K wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

Jimmy Kennedy was a highly touted player. Everyone liked the pick when it happened. Just ended up a bust.

So does that support my theory, that Fisher just isn't that great of a coach, despite his reputation?

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:48 am

Yeah, Fisher is average at best. But his teams play physical (dirty in all reality) so people like him. It's amazing he keeps getting jobs.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:55 am

bobcat99 wrote:Yeah, Fisher is average at best. But his teams play physical (dirty in all reality) so people like him. It's amazing he keeps getting jobs.
And the Rams just signed him to a new contract. :roll: I think they're giving the Browns a run for their money, for the title of "worst organization in the NFL".

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:02 am

John K wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:Yeah, Fisher is average at best. But his teams play physical (dirty in all reality) so people like him. It's amazing he keeps getting jobs.
And the Rams just signed him to a new contract. :roll: I think they're giving the Browns a run for their money, for the title of "worst organization in the NFL".
But Les Snead has great hair! :roll:

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:36 am

Plus Fisher is the father of a former griz player. So he's got that against him most importantly.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:16 pm

lutecat wrote:Plus Fisher is the father of a former griz player. So he's got that against him most importantly.
It's even worse than that...the son is now an assistant coach for the Rams, and former UMer's Trumaine Johnson and Chase Reynolds play on the team. I think you've solved the mystery of their suckage...it's the ex-Griz factor.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:55 pm

John K wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
John K wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

So does that support my theory, that Fisher just isn't that great of a coach, despite his reputation?
I was just responding to Celtic's comment, but yes, you are correct and I agree. I'm afraid of what he's going to do to Mariota.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:29 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
John K wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
John K wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

I was just responding to Celtic's comment, but yes, you are correct and I agree. I'm afraid of what he's going to do to Mariota.
I'm not sure what you mean by that? Mariota doesn't play for the Rams.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:01 pm

John K wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
John K wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
John K wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

Obviously a brain fart. Still thinking of him in Tennessee clothing.

And anyway, I think he's a decent drafter and defensive coach but he is terrible with offense in general. Which he can't seem to overcome right now.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:33 am

CatBlitz wrote:
John K wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
John K wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
John K wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

And anyway, I think he's a decent drafter and defensive coach but he is terrible with offense in general. Which he can't seem to overcome right now.
I figured that was the case, but you got my hopes up there for a minute...thinking maybe somehow the Rams talked the Titans into giving up Mariota in a big blockbuster trade that I hadn't heard about. :lol: I thought that was probably too good to be true though. I guess they're still stuck with Case Keenum as their QB.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:09 am

John K wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
John K wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
John K wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
John K wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

I figured that was the case, but you got my hopes up there for a minute...thinking maybe somehow the Rams talked the Titans into giving up Mariota in a big blockbuster trade that I hadn't heard about. :lol: I thought that was probably too good to be true though. I guess they're still stuck with Case Keenum as their QB.
Haha, sorry about that... :lol:

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:22 pm

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/717569239486312449

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:26 am

Beau has risen into Mike Mayock's top 5 list at TE!
https://twitter.com/Rand_Getlin/status/722613045755662336

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:53 am

VimSince03 wrote:Beau has risen into Mike Mayock's top 5 list at TE!
https://twitter.com/Rand_Getlin/status/722613045755662336
That's cool! Thanks for sharing Vim! =D^