Fullerton to retire

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Fullerton to retire

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:28 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Fullerton to retire

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:29 pm

And there was great rejoicing throughout the land! Maybe Peter Fields knew and is positioning himself to be the next commissioner....and no I don't really believe that :D

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:30 pm

Does this mean instead of going to Reno for Basketball tournaments it can go back they way it's supposed to be?

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:32 pm

about time!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:36 pm

Since the presidents and AD's vote on everything? Why do people dislike Doug?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:14 pm

I've actually always been impressed with him in interviews - he seems to be quite forward-thinking. Hope the conference can find that same quality in a replacement.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:24 pm

SonomaCat wrote:I've actually always been impressed with him in interviews - he seems to be quite forward-thinking. Hope the conference can find that same quality in a replacement.
The only thing that can really be criticized is the failure to get both North Dakota schools into the conference, IMO.

Missing on NDSU was huge in retrospect in that they would play the role UM did for years until MSU, EWU, and a few others made a greater investment in football to level the playing field.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:47 pm

Let's hope the" Peter(Fields)Principle" is out of the question. :kicksrock: #-o

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:49 pm

PapaG wrote:
SonomaCat wrote:I've actually always been impressed with him in interviews - he seems to be quite forward-thinking. Hope the conference can find that same quality in a replacement.
The only thing that can really be criticized is the failure to get both North Dakota schools into the conference, IMO.

Missing on NDSU was huge in retrospect in that they would play the role UM did for years until MSU, EWU, and a few others made a greater investment in football to level the playing field.
Agreed, it would have been great to bring all of the Dakotas in, IMO. My impression was that he didn't have much say in that decision and that (as with every major decision) the presidents made that call. But one could fault him for not being persuasive enough to convince them to change their minds.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:55 pm

His heading of the referees (I believe he's in charge of all of that) leaves a lot to be desired. I don't know what it is, but it screams utter incompetence.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:56 pm

Let's also hope that when Idaho drops down, the new commish pushes for 2 smaller conferences rather than a 14 team conference. Or at the very least a North/South 2 division conference where MSU, UM, EWU, UND, ID, ISU and PSU are in the same division and the other 2 conference games every year are cross overs to the other division that rotate every year. Same as the FBS conferences with 12 or more teams.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:01 pm

Well, he killed funding mechanisms at MSU and people (me) still hold a grudge for that.

As commissioner, he's done OK. He secured the stability of the conference as well as a major TV contract. But yeah, missing the Dakota's and poor reffing is a stain on his record.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:04 pm

In all fairness, is there any fanbase that thinks it's conference referees aren't terrible?

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:06 pm

SonomaCat wrote:In all fairness, is there any fanbase that thinks it's conference referees aren't terrible?
True, but apples to apples, the Missouri valley has higher quality than us.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:14 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:Well, he killed funding mechanisms at MSU and people (me) still hold a grudge for that.

As commissioner, he's done OK. He secured the stability of the conference as well as a major TV contract. But yeah, missing the Dakota's and poor reffing is a stain on his record.
This is his biggest and best achievement IMO. Root sports televising at least 1 game a week is huge for the fan bases in the area and the conference in general.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:15 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
SonomaCat wrote:In all fairness, is there any fanbase that thinks it's conference referees aren't terrible?
Fair point. I really have no idea what different conferences do in terms of managing/training/etc., referees so I have always been in the dark about what differences exists from conference to conference behind the scenes.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:24 pm

Much like Fields, I always thought Fullerton did alright and never understood the hatred.

Rob Ash for Commissioner! 8)

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:53 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Since the presidents and AD's vote on everything? Why do people dislike Doug?

He gave us the North Dakotan........

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:01 pm

SonomaCat wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Fair point. I really have no idea what different conferences do in terms of managing/training/etc., referees so I have always been in the dark about what differences exists from conference to conference behind the scenes.
Honestly, it's an issue of accountability. There have been monumental eff ups in the past and from my understanding, disciplinary action has not taken place. Some of these calls have cost players games and field position/scores. For example, Mike Rider got ejected from a game from a TEXTBOOK tackle. There was nothing made of that call or the referee after the case. I would've liked to see at least some sort of public explanation. If there was I apologize, but there seems to be no transparency. I have a video of the tackle if you want to see it, too.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:36 pm

What Vike_king said.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!