2016 QB Competition - We have some good ones.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: 2016 QB Competition - We have some good ones.

Post by FTG247365 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:24 pm

I personally liked watching a QB develop over the years, having a starter for 3 to 4 years who is the field general, like McGhee. My pick would be Hoy, cause he has the wheels, then I'm not sure would be back up. I saw McChesney in High School play, he could be the sleeper in the bunch. Not sure on Folsom, I heard he is a great Athlete. Murray is going to be interesting to watch, tall and fast. Going to be a great year for QB's, wide open.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:52 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
grizpack wrote:McChesney is a really good player. But he isn't a BSC QB.
Him and Will Weyer are in very similar situations.
Does McChesney's brother start on our OL?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:57 pm

I hate to jinx the guy, but Murray looks absolutely awesome, physically. A 6-4 QB that can move like that...how did he not go P5? I know he's raw, per Choate, but when's the last time the BSC has had a 6-4 QB with his athleticism?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:00 pm

grizpack wrote:McChesney is a really good player. But he isn't a BSC QB.
I honestly would have said the same thing about John Edwards, Andrew Selle, Jordan Johnson, and Dickenson. I was young when Dickenson played but his size alone and arm strength weren't even top tier Big Sky coming out, but they all got a chance and killed it. Selle and Edwards I did watch a lot and they didn't appear big sky either out of high school.I guess you never know until they get a chance.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:03 pm

Walk-on wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:The only thing that worries me is completion percentage. My biggest preference in a QB is accuracy and Bruggman seems to have struggled with his since high school. Now, a lot of things affect completion percentage numbers (throw aways, drops, etc.), and I haven't watched film, but I want whoever wins to be accurate. Watching some QB's who throw the ball in the dirt in front of the wide receivers just ticks me off :D
He'd better be accurate and a good team leader and clock manager, and other tangibles/intangibles; because 4.80s 40-time is pretty slow for a Bobcat QB.
I would bet 4.8 is better than average across all divisions for a QB. If your smart like great QBs in the big sky present and past, you don't have to run a good forty.

If your left, you aren’t right.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:15 pm

Lulay ran a 4.70 forty, for comparison.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:24 pm

CatBlitz wrote:Lulay ran a 4.70 forty, for comparison.
I've run close to a 5.6 forty...for comparison.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:45 pm

VimSince03 wrote:

Try it with 2 pencils up your nose and then we'll talk.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:52 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Try it with 2 pencils up your nose and then we'll talk.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:58 am

I had not really watched Murray's highlights yet... holy cow, impressive:

He looks like a taller version of Prukop when he runs/scrambles. Its obvious that he has a lot to learn and develop on the passing side of being a QB... but wow, the guy is an athlete. As they say- "you can't teach speed"

FTG- GO CATS GO!

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:39 am

mslacatfan wrote:I had not really watched Murray's highlights yet... holy cow, impressive:

He looks like a taller version of Prukop when he runs/scrambles. Its obvious that he has a lot to learn and develop on the passing side of being a QB... but wow, the guy is an athlete. As they say- "you can't teach speed"
Finally watched his highlights. Man, that kid can play. It'll be interesting to see if he sticks at QB. He can certainly run but he has some good height too.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:24 am

CatBlitz wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:I had not really watched Murray's highlights yet... holy cow, impressive:

Finally watched his highlights. Man, that kid can play. It'll be interesting to see if he sticks at QB. He can certainly run but he has some good height too.
My first thought- He looks to have the potential of a future all big sky player at QB... But maybe move him to WR, and he could have the potential of an All American type player. Pretty rare to get a WR at this level that is 6'4'' with 4.5 speed... just a thought. It will be curious to see how his career plays out.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:27 am

I would doubt a 4 year high school starting QB would get moved to WR. I know it happened in TRod's case, but he had experience at WR and other positions. I think this kid is a QB.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:31 am

Counter Assault wrote:I would doubt a 4 year high school starting QB would get moved to WR. I know it happened in TRod's case, but he had experience at WR and other positions. I think this kid is a QB.
I agree. That kid has some of the best field vision I think I've ever seen.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:31 pm

catatac wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:I would doubt a 4 year high school starting QB would get moved to WR. I know it happened in TRod's case, but he had experience at WR and other positions. I think this kid is a QB.
I agree. That kid has some of the best field vision I think I've ever seen.
Armanti Edwards got moved to WR in the NFL after winning 3 (?) national championships at Appalachian State. Julian Edelman. Braxton Miller.

You put the best talent you can on the field wherever you can put them. If Murray is a better fit for the team at WR, you do it in a second. And if he can translate to Safety or DB, you do that. At this point, both Hoy and Murray look like potential BSC all stars. You don't let guys with that much talent sit on the bench-you make sure you get both of them onto the field.