The Defense

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: The Defense

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:42 am

TomCat88 wrote:
desmond1957 wrote:He's around 230 now and plans to be close to 240 by fall,with his huge frame he could easily carry 245-250. The kid is going to be scary,especially with his attitude on the field and 3 years to develop.
Sounds like you think he has POTENTIAL. :wink:
Nice. Tom wins.

Just curious here. You have guys who have potential and guys who have a chance, which I would argue mean the same thing. So realistically do the guys in the last category not have a chance? Should there be a category for that, or is there nobody that doesn't have a chance? I don't know the personnel that we'll. I wouldn't want you to name names, but I'm wondering if there's anybody on the roster where you just wonder how they even gave him pads.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:55 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:Oh boy, what's the over under on how soon that certain poster will be here to school us all on weight gain and what's possible and good or bad?
I hope all our players are gaining weight but I hope even more that they are all working on maintaining and improving their quickness and speed.
We all want pounds and speed but I'll take a few less pounds if it means more speed.
Choate sounds more interested in length and wing span. Keeps us all guessing. Size? Strength? Speed? Nope, you're all wrong, wingspan.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:16 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
desmond1957 wrote:He's around 230 now and plans to be close to 240 by fall,with his huge frame he could easily carry 245-250. The kid is going to be scary,especially with his attitude on the field and 3 years to develop.
Nice. Tom wins.

Just curious here. You have guys who have potential and guys who have a chance, which I would argue mean the same thing. So realistically do the guys in the last category not have a chance? Should there be a category for that, or is there nobody that doesn't have a chance? I don't know the personnel that we'll. I wouldn't want you to name names, but I'm wondering if there's anybody on the roster where you just wonder how they even gave him pads.

Look at the roster, look at the upper class men, then consider if you've seen that player on the field. If so, garbage time? How'd he do? If not, well... If he looked foolish in garbage time, well....

I think there's about 7-8 maybe more that for whatever reason, aren't going to be part of the team after spring ball.

I think a lot of those are walk ons anyway, but roster space is scarce. I hope we don't criticize Choate as much as our sisters to the west are criticizing Stitt for trimming the fat.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:19 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Nice. Tom wins.

Look at the roster, look at the upper class men, then consider if you've seen that player on the field. If so, garbage time? How'd he do? If not, well... If he looked foolish in garbage time, well....

I think there's about 7-8 maybe more that for whatever reason, aren't going to be part of the team after spring ball.

I think a lot of those are walk ons anyway, but roster space is scarce. I hope we don't criticize Choate as much as our sisters to the west are criticizing Stitt for trimming the fat.
Please tell the truth when you make statements like that. There is exactly ONE poster who isn't happy with the "house cleaning" (UMGriz75). He is also "that guy" that every board has. I actually think he's a Cats fan who just likes to mess with egriz posters. Perhaps it's you?? It was pointed out on a couple threads that it isn't as much house cleaning as it is other circumstances. For example:

Carlson - sounds like some concussions and also wanting to get more involved in youth ministry
Burke - retires due to concussions
Pflug - not seen as QB of the future and given a chance to take talent elsewhere
Logwood - injured too much and decided to hang it up
Henderson - had a tough year academically and declared for draft instead of be ineligible
Nacarrato - wasn't going to be utilized in same capacity and took talents elsewhere
Parker - seemed to not get along with coaches and took talent elsewhere
Janssen - no idea on this one. Had s good freshman season and then buried in depth. Maybe transferring?
Peoples - wants to be a QB and transferred to Tech
Vis - good receiver who was converted to a LB and wasn't a perfect fit. Maybe transferring to be a receiver?
Paolina - not sure on this one

So it looks to me there are only a few who were so-called cut. I would say they were given an honest assessment of their future as a Griz and some decided to leave, transfer, or hang it up all together.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:30 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Nice. Tom wins.

Please tell the truth when you make statements like that. There is exactly ONE poster who isn't happy with the "house cleaning" (UMGriz75). He is also "that guy" that every board has. I actually think he's a Cats fan who just likes to mess with egriz posters. Perhaps it's you?? It was pointed out on a couple threads that it isn't as much house cleaning as it is other circumstances. For example:

Carlson - sounds like some concussions and also wanting to get more involved in youth ministry
Pflug - not seen as QB of the future and given a chance to take talent elsewhere
Henderson - had a tough year academically and declared for draft instead of be ineligible
Nacarrato - wasn't going to be utilized in same capacity and took talents elsewhere
Janssen - no idea on this one. Had s good freshman season and then buried in depth. Maybe transferring?
Vis - good receiver who was converted to a LB and wasn't a perfect fit. Maybe transferring to be a receiver?

So it looks to me there are only a few who were so-called cut. I would say they were given an honest assessment of their future as a Griz and some decided to leave, transfer, or hang it up all together.
You sound a little (actually a lot) defensive. You are probably right, your abrasive and arrogant coach called each player in and gave them an honest assessment. He then said you can retire, transfer or I can CUT you.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:49 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Nice. Tom wins.

You sound a little (actually a lot) defensive. You are probably right, your abrasive and arrogant coach called each player in and gave them an honest assessment. He then said you can retire, transfer or I can CUT you.
Yep I'll defend truth as opposed to make-believe stories that get spread over here. See the list above. Who would you say was cut? Maybe 3 players. Do you think Choate won't do the same thing? You better hope and pray he does in an effort to upgrade talent. I have no problem whatsoever with Stitt, Choate, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, and every other coach in America making tough decisions to make the team even better. In fact I welcome it.

GRIZ1STCATS2ND
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZ1STCATS2ND » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:23 pm

"Do you think Choate won't do the same thing? You better hope and pray he does in an effort to upgrade talent..."

^^^ This ^^^

But when he does you had better just thank the player and wish him the best and not say another word or 75 will come over here and start throwing Bernieisms at you.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:46 pm

I'd love to see choate tap into his SEC ties (muschamps) for dline help.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:49 pm

I figure scholarships are a 1 year renewable deal. Whether it's renewed or not depends on your play. I have no problem with that. That's also why some schools are starting to offer 4 year scholarships.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:17 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Nice. Tom wins.

I really don't want to get into a 4 direction semantics debate like that thread. "The sky is blue" "No, the water is blue." "No, the sky is grey" "No, the water is green."

Point being, 75 was right about some things, but let's just agree that Stitt is doing what he needs to do. Does it suck from certain aspects of how players lives are affected? Sure, but for one reason or another, they are occupying a roster spot and can no longer justify their occupation of that spot. Did they make personal sacrifice to get that spot in the first place? Absolutely, but if you can't produce anymore because your injuries prevent it or if you never developed into a D1 caliber player for lack of effort or for lack of genetic disposition, meaning you didn't grow into the position, you're cheating your teammates out of the opportunity to get someone who can or will contribute.

Oh, and it was more than 75 that had concerns, but you're right, I could have worded that better.

It doesn't change the point of the post though.

Both teams have fat that needs trimmed.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:35 pm

https://twitter.com/CoachChoate_MSU/status/696532563297325056

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:56 pm

Hawks86 wrote:https://twitter.com/CoachChoate_MSU/status/696532563297325056
Hopefully this is a lesson on defensive speed as well.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:19 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
We are going to be better on defense.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:17 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Nice. Tom wins.

Yep I'll defend truth as opposed to make-believe stories that get spread over here. See the list above. Who would you say was cut? Maybe 3 players. Do you think Choate won't do the same thing? You better hope and pray he does in an effort to upgrade talent. I have no problem whatsoever with Stitt, Choate, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, and every other coach in America making tough decisions to make the team even better. In fact I welcome it.
I never said that Choate or Stitt shouldn't cut players. You went to some extent to prove that the house cleaning at UM was simply attrition. I simply pointed out that a retirement or transfer can be the product of back room discussion indicating they are going to get cut. You even alluded to the back room discussion in your original post. Given the arrogance of Stitt, what makes you think he didn't tell these guys they weren't good enough to play for the Griz?

As far as I am concerned, I hope Stitt keeps doing what he is doing. From his message of "our money is better spent on out of staters" to "if your not good enough, we will kick you to the curb". I bet this will win over a lot of recruits! Keep up the good work!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:25 am

Common Cat wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
YES!!! He is right!The Super Bowl once again shows that as much fun as offense is to watch, it is defense that determines who wins. We need our defense to develop this year, and I think we will under our new coaches.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:08 am

Common Cat wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
I would hope so...
115th out of 123 teams and 472 Y/Game
And giving up 34.3 per game....

If msu had a D given up around 26 PPG they would have been contenders.

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

NikeCats6
New Recruit

Post by NikeCats6 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:37 pm

Let's just hope we get more transfers and we have depth, what kind of defense are we planning on running? And linebackers looking pretty strong what about safety's and defensive backs?

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:17 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Nice. Tom wins.

Interesting that you both think a player who has ALREADY accomplished (see my FIRST POST) what Grant has as a Cat freshman still ( according to Tom) has only POTENTIAL and now according to knw may be viewed as one who " has a chance" to contribute. Your confidence in the future of our defense looks somewhat underwhelming!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:37 pm

desmond1957 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Nice. Tom wins.

Interesting that you both think a player who has ALREADY accomplished (see my FIRST POST) what Grant has as a Cat freshman still ( according to Tom) has only POTENTIAL and now according to knw may be viewed as one who " has a chance" to contribute. Your confidence in the future of our defense looks somewhat underwhelming!!
If you already think he's filled his potential then why are you saying he's "going" to be scary?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

UMGriz75
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by UMGriz75 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:40 pm

Grizaddict wrote:Please tell the truth when you make statements like that. There is exactly ONE poster who isn't happy with the "house cleaning" (UMGriz75). He is also "that guy" that every board has. I actually think he's a Cats fan who just likes to mess with egriz posters.
That's odd. I did not criticize the "housecleaning" at all. To the contrary, I said that Stitt needs to do what he thinks he needs to do. I took a so-called "fan" to task for implying that those leaving the team did so because they lacked intelligence, ability, character or work ethic. Kids that want to play football and lose their chance, don't need to be slandered by idiot fans on their way out the door. Had nothing to do with Stitt.

Interesting that was such a difficult point for you to comprehend.

Please tell the truth when you make statements like that.