The Defense

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: The Defense

Post by Bemiller49 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:54 am

Hawks86 wrote:Here is my depth chart going into spring ball.

+1

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:56 am

Bemiller49 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:Here is my depth chart going into spring ball.

+1
It's not too far off. :wink:

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

asstastic
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by asstastic » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:11 pm

LaBoy
Hutchins
Clark
Bray
Bignell--
Fa'anono
Rollins
Robinson
Wilcox
Yates
Brownlow
Jeffries
Naotolo
Wright
Thomas
Griffiths
Ferritter
Sheridan--

There Are 18 DL on our roster from last year. We graduated 2, did we loose any others?

Kidd
Benson
Marks
Jobman
Finch....

I have to think that with this many DL players on the roster, we could find 4 out of this group. How does it happen that we recruit 20 every year and we dont have 4 out of a group of 16 who could play defense tackle?

Yates, Thomas
Wilcox, Naotolo
Brownlow
Wright
Griffiths

Punchin Griz fans in the mouth since 2002 [-o<

#RTD

19-4-0

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:45 pm

asstastic wrote:LaBoy
Hutchins
Clark
Bray
Bignell--
Fa'anono
Rollins
Robinson
Wilcox
Yates
Brownlow
Jeffries
Naotolo
Wright
Thomas
Griffiths
Ferritter
Sheridan--

There Are 18 DL on our roster from last year. We graduated 2, did we loose any others?

Kidd
Benson
Marks
Jobman
Finch....

I have to think that with this many DL players on the roster, we could find 4 out of this group. How does it happen that we recruit 20 every year and we dont have 4 out of a group of 16 who could play defense tackle?

Yates, Thomas
Wilcox, Naotolo
Brownlow
Wright
Griffiths
Thomas graduated

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:20 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Hutchins
Clark
Bray
Bignell--
Fa'anono
Rollins
Robinson
Wilcox
Yates
Brownlow
Jeffries
Naotolo
Wright
Thomas
Griffiths
Ferritter
Sheridan--

Kidd
Benson
Marks
Jobman
Finch....

Yates, Thomas
Wilcox, Naotolo
Brownlow
Wright
Griffiths
Thomas graduated
yup... its amazing how incompetent the people are that run the athletics webpage... you would not think it would be THAT hard to update something like that (it was probably brought up a dozen or so times throughout the football season). I can't wait for the summer countdown!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

asstastic

Post by asstastic » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:43 pm

Well sh;t

Punchin Griz fans in the mouth since 2002 [-o<

#RTD

19-4-0

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:04 pm

Look at the 49ers before Jim Harbaugh and then look at what he did with basically the same team that sucked the year before he came there. If you don't think coaching is a huge part of a teams success, then you are wrong. I think our defense will be a lot better this year mainly because I think the coaching staff will do a much better job of coaching these young men.

Punters are people too!!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:12 pm

I think you guys are a lot higher on Strong than I am. It's really too bad he couldn't have redshirted, and it's not really his fault, but he was completely outmatched on the field. I'm hoping he becomes a good starter in his upper class years, but all American? I would be shocked. Honestly, and not to diss him, because it's not his fault and he played his best, but the fact that he was starting is a major indictment on our DB's and recruiting.

desmond1957

Post by desmond1957 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:14 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Bonafide players: Bignell, Hale.
Almost there players: Clark
Potential players: Collins, Fa'anono, McCabe, Garcia, Alley, Yates, Hutchins, FCollins, Braun.
Got a chance players: everyone else.

Unless 3-4 players move into the bonafide category and another 3-4 move into the "almost there" category, MSU will need 5-6 players to transfer into those two categories. Otherwise it won't be pretty come 9/16.
Interesting you put Collins as a "POTENTIAL" player, the redshirt freshman started every game and played every down as the Cat MLB, ended up as the second leading tackler {88} on the team behind soph Bignell {101}, led both teams with 15 tackles in the last game {Cat-griz} all while playing hurt from before mid-season!! If you ever came to practice you would have seen that he wore a red "No-contact" jersey from about the 4th game on yet never came out for a single play except when he hit someone so hard in a game he would tear up his helmet!! You know more about former Cat's than I do, how many redshirt frosh have started and played every down with more tackles?? Plus having to learn while switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 at mid-season? By listing Hale who has yet to play a down and Clark {great potential but 28 tackles in 2015) above him IMO disses a kid who busted his ass last year.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:38 pm

Collins is good, but I want to see him play downhill more. Exceptional year for a freshman though.

Anacomando

Post by Anacomando » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:49 pm

Collins and Bignell are very talented players. Going to be a great year for both.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:05 pm

desmond1957 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:Bonafide players: Bignell, Hale.
Almost there players: Clark
Potential players: Collins, Fa'anono, McCabe, Garcia, Alley, Yates, Hutchins, FCollins, Braun.
Got a chance players: everyone else.

Unless 3-4 players move into the bonafide category and another 3-4 move into the "almost there" category, MSU will need 5-6 players to transfer into those two categories. Otherwise it won't be pretty come 9/16.
Interesting you put Collins as a "POTENTIAL" player, the redshirt freshman started every game and played every down as the Cat MLB, ended up as the second leading tackler {88} on the team behind soph Bignell {101}, led both teams with 15 tackles in the last game {Cat-griz} all while playing hurt from before mid-season!! If you ever came to practice you would have seen that he wore a red "No-contact" jersey from about the 4th game on yet never came out for a single play except when he hit someone so hard in a game he would tear up his helmet!! You know more about former Cat's than I do, how many redshirt frosh have started and played every down with more tackles?? Plus having to learn while switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 at mid-season? By listing Hale who has yet to play a down and Clark {great potential but 28 tackles in 2015) above him IMO disses a kid who busted his ass last year.
I heard he's bulked up quite a bit the last 2 months. What's he weigh now?

desmond1957

Post by desmond1957 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:14 pm

He's around 230 now and plans to be close to 240 by fall,with his huge frame he could easily carry 245-250. The kid is going to be scary,especially with his attitude on the field and 3 years to develop.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:26 pm

bobcat99 wrote:I think you guys are a lot higher on Strong than I am. It's really too bad he couldn't have redshirted, and it's not really his fault, but he was completely outmatched on the field. I'm hoping he becomes a good starter in his upper class years, but all American? I would be shocked. Honestly, and not to diss him, because it's not his fault and he played his best, but the fact that he was starting is a major indictment on our DB's and recruiting.
I definitely wish he could have redshirted, that extra year makes a huge difference. He has all the tools you look for though- He has great size for a CB, really athletic, fast, sounds like he is a hard worker and football smart (his dad was a coach, right?)... I just see a ton of potential with him.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:15 pm

With the D receiving a boost in the secondary from Hale and having tons of guys returning that saw playing time last year it's hard to imagine there won't be vast improvements. While I do agree that Strong had a rough year and probably should have redshirtrd I also agree that he could be one of the best we've seen by the time it's all said and done. The kid is as athletic as it gets. He could play any sport he wanted to. With a defensive minded head coach, some great position coaches and a full year on the team to get stronger I see big things from him in the coming years. And several others as well.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:00 am

desmond1957 wrote:He's around 230 now and plans to be close to 240 by fall,with his huge frame he could easily carry 245-250. The kid is going to be scary,especially with his attitude on the field and 3 years to develop.
OMG! I am really trying guys to refrain from this weight gain crap but posts like this make it very hard!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:06 am

gtapp wrote:
desmond1957 wrote:He's around 230 now and plans to be close to 240 by fall,with his huge frame he could easily carry 245-250. The kid is going to be scary,especially with his attitude on the field and 3 years to develop.
OMG! I am really trying guys to refrain from this weight gain crap but posts like this make it very hard!

You can do it gtapp! Overcome the urge!

Will power
Will power

VICTORY

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:45 am

Hutchins
Clark
Bray
Bignell--
Fa'anono
Rollins
Robinson
Wilcox
Yates
Brownlow
Jeffries
Naotolo
Wright
Thomas
Griffiths
Ferritter
Sheridan--

Kidd
Benson
Marks
Jobman
Finch....

Yates, Thomas
Wilcox, Naotolo
Brownlow
Wright
Griffiths
DE's at this level don't have to be freaks of nature, at least from a size & athleticism perspective. 6-2/6-4 240-260 aren't that unusual. DT, on the other hand is a totally different story. DT's with adequate size & athleticism are really unusual.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:06 am

Sounds like you think he has POTENTIAL. :wink:

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:40 am

Oh boy, what's the over under on how soon that certain poster will be here to school us all on weight gain and what's possible and good or bad?
I hope all our players are gaining weight but I hope even more that they are all working on maintaining and improving their quickness and speed.
We all want pounds and speed but I'll take a few less pounds if it means more speed.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!