Bakken Bowl

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Nodak78
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Bakken Bowl

Post by Nodak78 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:18 am

Some on the siouxsports.com board talking about this have mentioned different names for the bowl game. Some like the tie un with Lewis and Clark. I like that. They spent quite a bit of time in both states. Another mentioned an oar for the trophy with wins from each school on either side of the oar. This adds to the rivalry.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:26 am

The Lewis and Clark connection makes sense. How about naming the trophy "Pompey's Pillar"? That will really confuse the rest of the nation.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Nodak78
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Nodak78 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:18 am

thefrank1 wrote:The Lewis and Clark connection makes sense. How about naming the trophy "Pompey's Pillar"? That will really confuse the rest of the nation.
You think we could just scratch the scores on the Pillar each year. You are right most people would have to google the Pompey's pillar.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:12 pm

Scratching the scores on the pillar is a hell of an idea. The losing team must perform the task and risk the penalty of federal prosecution. :D

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:17 pm

onceacat wrote:
85CatGrad wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:I can live with Bakken Bowl.
Let's not forget coal, wind and hydro in those areas. Maybe we could call it the Energy Bowl or Power Bowl.
This is wrong on so many levels.

1. The Bakken is basically dead until oil recovers to at least $60/barrel. The Bakken wells run out really fast relative to other oil, and are expensive to start. Coal is in even worse shape. Every major coal company is on the brink of bankruptcy-and those aren't ever coming back. The market for coal is going the way of the Kodak camera. At lest the Bakken will fire back up when the price of gas hits $4 again, but until then, all those royalties aren't going to make a lick of difference in the economic decline of Eastern Montana & Western North Dakota.

2. I've never understood the bromance on this board for UND. I've got nothing against them, but its a freaking 12-13 hour drive to get there, through some of the most desolate country on God's green earth. FWIW, the BSC has decided that we and UND are rivals, so they are the only team in the BSC we are going to play every year. Fine, but there are 5 Big Sky schools (UM, EWU, ISU, WSU, and SSU) that are at least 4 hours closer. Portland and Flagstaff are the same distance, but there is a direct flight to Portland, and the combination of flight/drive to Flagstaff is about 2 hours easier than Grand Forks. Same with Sac State & Davis. Plus, Flag, Portland, and SLO are all vacation destinations in and of themselves. Grand Forks-not so much.

3. One year does not turn UND into a contender. If in 2 years they still have a winning record, call me back. In the meantime, there's a pretty good chance that last year was lightning in a bottle. UND struggled with an MSU team that was horrible on the road (and it took the worst game of Prukops career to make it happen) I'm going to lay odds that UND is the ISU of 2015. Or, remember how solid Sac State was 2 years ago. Or Poly the year before that. Great year, but no sign of a turnaround in the near term. When UND can post a winning record 3 years in a row, lets talk.

I don't mean any of that to sound douchy, even though it probably does. But for the time being, UND is one of the odd men out in the Big Sky. I'm not sure why all our fans have such an affinity for them.
This WAS a natural rivalry going back to the 60's. I disagree that we shouldn't try to fire it back up again.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz