Bakken Bowl

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bakken Bowl

Post by Cataholic » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:20 pm

Creating new rivalries is a great idea. Maybe Marana Cat should put in the recent marketing job in the athletic department.

I also like the appeal of an ND rivalry, but as others have alluded to, it is not practical. It is just too far away. Strangely enough, MSU might be the second closest Big Sky school for UND, hence the rivalry designation. ISU makes no sense since nobody cares about ISU football. Cant have a rivalry if their fans dont show up. EWU has already developed into an important game every year and makes the most sense.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:22 pm

Siouxfan wrote:UND finally has a football coach that can take us to the next level. Two freshman were standouts last year in a good recruiting class. and this class should be even better. The team will start spring practice in March because our brand new indoor practice center on campus allows it. Before we had to wait til April when the anow melted. UND is on its way up, back to where we were feared and hated, even by NDSU.

And that holds for men's basketball too. Although we don't have a good coach, he recruits well. UND has traditionally had the strongest basketball programs in the Dakotas.

The Bakken will be back. Numerous petrochemical plants are on the drawing board, and eastern ND is still in boom times. North Dakota is expected to rise to 1.4 million people by around 2030, easily out distancing Montana.
Maybe you should read some newspapers. Oil is not going to be the driving force of the economy that it once was. Dramatic shifts in geo-politics drive fundamental changes in the oil economy. I think you are overly optimistic about the recovery of the area.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:38 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Siouxfan wrote:UND finally has a football coach that can take us to the next level. Two freshman were standouts last year in a good recruiting class. and this class should be even better. The team will start spring practice in March because our brand new indoor practice center on campus allows it. Before we had to wait til April when the anow melted. UND is on its way up, back to where we were feared and hated, even by NDSU.

And that holds for men's basketball too. Although we don't have a good coach, he recruits well. UND has traditionally had the strongest basketball programs in the Dakotas.

The Bakken will be back. Numerous petrochemical plants are on the drawing board, and eastern ND is still in boom times. North Dakota is expected to rise to 1.4 million people by around 2030, easily out distancing Montana.
Maybe you should read some newspapers. Oil is not going to be the driving force of the economy that it once was. Dramatic shifts in geo-politics drive fundamental changes in the oil economy. I think you are overly optimistic about the recovery of the area.
Oil will always be a driving force until a viable inexpensive form of energy is available to all humans across the earth.

Until we can have a grid system in place for that oil will be a driving force.

It is extremely naive to think otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:47 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
thefrank1 wrote:

Oil will always be a driving force until a viable inexpensive form of energy is available to all humans across the earth.

Is it possible that your opinion is defined by your location? Myopia does not give an accurate perspective.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:52 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
thefrank1 wrote:

Is it possible that your opinion is defined by your location? Myopia does not give an accurate perspective.

Not at all. I'm not in the oil business.

Wishing something to be true and it actually being true are just two separate things.

I would absolutely love to have everyone in the world have access to solar powered or electric powered cars. However manufacturing and the grid system has a ton of way to go.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:11 pm

Marana CAT wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:I'd be more excited about your idea if they had renamed themselves the Frackers. There's just something about that name that would have been guaranteed fun.
As it is yeah I guess it would be fun to develop the rivalry more. I had plans to go to that game last year but instead had to go to a funeral. It could have been worse, it could have been my funeral.
I see where you're coming from with the name but it doesn't exactly jump right out at a person.
About the money, maybe this should go into the quiet phase until crude recovers. The activity over there could take awhile to pick up again.
I don't know about you but the "Brawl of the Wild" had to grow on me for a few years...

Yes things have slowed down but there is still big money out there that can maybe find a home at MSU....
I still refuse to call it the brawl of the wild. It's just cat/griz.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:12 pm

I started the subject on the UND board.

I like the idea.

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/2276 ... ower-bowl/

Nodak78
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Nodak78 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Exxon just released a study and basically said the mix of energy will not change much except for coal which will decrease and natural gas will increase. Solar and wind will be about the same percentage something like 3 percent. This study reaches out to 2040. My about a century or more before wind or solar dominates energy
Is it possible that your opinion is defined by your location? wind and solar is a black hole sucking money and providing little to no energy. None at a profitable rate.

The bakken will be providing energy for decades to come.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:20 pm

That is exactly what I would expect from a study by Exxon.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:41 pm

Nodak78 wrote:Exxon just released a study and basically said the mix of energy will not change much except for coal which will decrease and natural gas will increase. Solar and wind will be about the same percentage something like 3 percent. This study reaches out to 2040. My about a century or more before wind or solar dominates energy
Is it possible that your opinion is defined by your location? wind and solar is a black hole sucking money and providing little to no energy. None at a profitable rate.

I assume this addressed my post as that is the context, if that is incorrect, sorry about that.

Yes my opinion is formed by my experience, I have spent more than 40 years in the national and international energy field, combined with world input. Once Saudia Arabia and other major oil producers conclude, as they have, that oil is no longer worth more tomorrow than today their production philosophy changes. The context for my post was economic activity not purely production. With oil prices likely to remain well below the boom prices the economic value once seen is unlikely to return any time soon.

It was that simple, nothing about alternative energies. It is clear some are sensitive about that.

Nodak78
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Nodak78 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:54 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Nodak78 wrote:Exxon just released a study and basically said the mix of energy will not change much except for coal which will decrease and natural gas will increase. Solar and wind will be about the same percentage something like 3 percent. This study reaches out to 2040. My about a century or more before wind or solar dominates energy

I assume this addressed my post as that is the context, if that is incorrect, sorry about that.

Yes my opinion is formed by my experience, I have spent more than 40 years in the national and international energy field, combined with world input. Once Saudia Arabia and other major oil producers conclude, as they have, that oil is no longer worth more tomorrow than today their production philosophy changes. The context for my post was economic activity not purely production. With oil prices likely to remain well below the boom prices the economic value once seen is unlikely to return any time soon.

It was that simple, nothing about alternative energies. It is clear some are sensitive about that.

The Bakken is a technology play now most companies can make money at $40 a barrel. on the other hand Saudis Arabia can fund their government unless it is $90 per barrel. Production needs to reduce and it is now but at a slow pace. Next year oil should be back to close to $60 and the Bakken will be humming.

This is off topic. So yes lets get this rivalry rev'd up.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:11 pm

I don't foresee much shift in our energy sources either in the near future. Oil and gas industry will continue on historical cycles.
I do hold a positive opinion of the fact that the industry is being pushed towards capturing more of the natural gas side product of oil production.

Back on the subject of football. We host a tailgate every home game where many folks with MonDak ties meet. We plan on ramping that experience up this next year in paricular with the UND game.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:26 pm

The game is 9-24. Does anybody know if this is MSU homecoming?

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=37141

85CatGrad
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 85CatGrad » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:56 pm

How dare you come on this board spewing facts and reality. The view is much better when our heads are in the sand. Damn you! "Ain't nobody got time for that!"

Nodak78
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Nodak78 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:00 pm

85CatGrad wrote:

How dare you come on this board spewing facts and reality. The view is much better when our heads are in the sand. Damn you! "Ain't nobody got time for that!"
Damn to hell let's play football. I have been to the last 2 games UND played in Bozeman and can't wait for this fall. :) :) :)

85CatGrad

Post by 85CatGrad » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:21 pm

Nodak78 wrote:
85CatGrad wrote:

Damn to hell let's play football. I have been to the last 2 games UND played in Bozeman and can't wait for this fall. :) :) :)
I'm with you Nodak78! Let's get this rivalry started! You guys suck! :wink: :wink:

Nodak78
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Nodak78 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:13 pm

85CatGrad wrote:
Nodak78 wrote:
85CatGrad wrote:

I'm with you Nodak78! Let's get this rivalry started! You guys suck! :wink: :wink:
I believe next year will be more of a defensive battle. :D :D

Marana CAT

Post by Marana CAT » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:37 pm

onceacat wrote:
85CatGrad wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:I can live with Bakken Bowl.
Let's not forget coal, wind and hydro in those areas. Maybe we could call it the Energy Bowl or Power Bowl.
This is wrong on so many levels.

1. The Bakken is basically dead until oil recovers to at least $60/barrel. The Bakken wells run out really fast relative to other oil, and are expensive to start. Coal is in even worse shape. Every major coal company is on the brink of bankruptcy-and those aren't ever coming back. The market for coal is going the way of the Kodak camera. At lest the Bakken will fire back up when the price of gas hits $4 again, but until then, all those royalties aren't going to make a lick of difference in the economic decline of Eastern Montana & Western North Dakota.

2. I've never understood the bromance on this board for UND. I've got nothing against them, but its a freaking 12-13 hour drive to get there, through some of the most desolate country on God's green earth. FWIW, the BSC has decided that we and UND are rivals, so they are the only team in the BSC we are going to play every year. Fine, but there are 5 Big Sky schools (UM, EWU, ISU, WSU, and SSU) that are at least 4 hours closer. Portland and Flagstaff are the same distance, but there is a direct flight to Portland, and the combination of flight/drive to Flagstaff is about 2 hours easier than Grand Forks. Same with Sac State & Davis. Plus, Flag, Portland, and SLO are all vacation destinations in and of themselves. Grand Forks-not so much.

3. One year does not turn UND into a contender. If in 2 years they still have a winning record, call me back. In the meantime, there's a pretty good chance that last year was lightning in a bottle. UND struggled with an MSU team that was horrible on the road (and it took the worst game of Prukops career to make it happen) I'm going to lay odds that UND is the ISU of 2015. Or, remember how solid Sac State was 2 years ago. Or Poly the year before that. Great year, but no sign of a turnaround in the near term. When UND can post a winning record 3 years in a row, lets talk.

I don't mean any of that to sound douchy, even though it probably does. But for the time being, UND is one of the odd men out in the Big Sky. I'm not sure why all our fans have such an affinity for them.
Chill out Francis!!! I was just putting out an idea... And for your information there are a lot of dedicated Bobcats that have to travel 6, 7, and 8 hours just to get to a Bobcat game in Bozeman. Driving or taking the train to Grand Forks is actually easier for some of them... It was just a fun idea because there is a great deal of people that have ties in Eastern Montana and Western North Dakota.. Good people that could make this game into something cool..

And I don't care if oil production today and the next 20 years runs at zero %... My point was getting people involved that already have benefited from oil the last 10-15 years and possible oil companies looking to invest in something worth the effort that supports BOTH programs... They have not spent all of their money on Strippers and hot pockets..

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:32 pm

Marana CAT wrote:
onceacat wrote:
85CatGrad wrote:
Let's not forget coal, wind and hydro in those areas. Maybe we could call it the Energy Bowl or Power Bowl.

1. The Bakken is basically dead until oil recovers to at least $60/barrel. The Bakken wells run out really fast relative to other oil, and are expensive to start. Coal is in even worse shape. Every major coal company is on the brink of bankruptcy-and those aren't ever coming back. The market for coal is going the way of the Kodak camera. At lest the Bakken will fire back up when the price of gas hits $4 again, but until then, all those royalties aren't going to make a lick of difference in the economic decline of Eastern Montana & Western North Dakota.

2. I've never understood the bromance on this board for UND. I've got nothing against them, but its a freaking 12-13 hour drive to get there, through some of the most desolate country on God's green earth. FWIW, the BSC has decided that we and UND are rivals, so they are the only team in the BSC we are going to play every year. Fine, but there are 5 Big Sky schools (UM, EWU, ISU, WSU, and SSU) that are at least 4 hours closer. Portland and Flagstaff are the same distance, but there is a direct flight to Portland, and the combination of flight/drive to Flagstaff is about 2 hours easier than Grand Forks. Same with Sac State & Davis. Plus, Flag, Portland, and SLO are all vacation destinations in and of themselves. Grand Forks-not so much.

3. One year does not turn UND into a contender. If in 2 years they still have a winning record, call me back. In the meantime, there's a pretty good chance that last year was lightning in a bottle. UND struggled with an MSU team that was horrible on the road (and it took the worst game of Prukops career to make it happen) I'm going to lay odds that UND is the ISU of 2015. Or, remember how solid Sac State was 2 years ago. Or Poly the year before that. Great year, but no sign of a turnaround in the near term. When UND can post a winning record 3 years in a row, lets talk.

I don't mean any of that to sound douchy, even though it probably does. But for the time being, UND is one of the odd men out in the Big Sky. I'm not sure why all our fans have such an affinity for them.
Chill out Francis!!! I was just putting out an idea... And for your information there are a lot of dedicated Bobcats that have to travel 6, 7, and 8 hours just to get to a Bobcat game in Bozeman. Driving or taking the train to Grand Forks is actually easier for some of them... It was just a fun idea because there is a great deal of people that have ties in Eastern Montana and Western North Dakota.. Good people that could make this game into something cool..

And I don't care if oil production today and the next 20 years runs at zero %... My point was getting people involved that already have benefited from oil the last 10-15 years and possible oil companies looking to invest in something worth the effort that supports BOTH programs... They have not spent all of their money on Strippers and hot pockets..

1) Bakken well is not short in life even though expensive to drill.
Don't forget the Mission Canyon, 3 Forks(part of the Bakken), and the Devonian as examples of the Williston Basin as well.
https://www.ndoil.org/?id=78&advancedmo ... ken+Basics
http://thebakken.com/articles/1357/eog- ... akken-well
2) 1st paragraph Marana's response.
A little worried about the use of the word bromance! :lol:
3) I believe UND's football program has shown signs of getting consistently better. Even though MSU could have played better in GF last year, we should give some credit to
UND for slowing our offense. Ratelle(sp?) and #6 were ballers.
Improvement of their facilities, FCOA, and large alumni numbers with deep pockets will ensure that the hockey school will get better in football.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:46 pm

kwcat wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:
onceacat wrote:
85CatGrad wrote:

1) Bakken well is not short in life even though expensive to drill.
Don't forget the Mission Canyon, 3 Forks(part of the Bakken), and the Devonian as examples of the Williston Basin as well.
https://www.ndoil.org/?id=78&advancedmo ... ken+Basics
http://thebakken.com/articles/1357/eog- ... akken-well
2) 1st paragraph Marana's response.
A little worried about the use of the word bromance! :lol:
3) I believe UND's football program has shown signs of getting consistently better. Even though MSU could have played better in GF last year, we should give some credit to
UND for slowing our offense. Ratelle(sp?) and #6 were ballers.
Improvement of their facilities, FCOA, and large alumni numbers with deep pockets will ensure that the hockey school will get better in football.
Sorry-I wasn't trying to start a whole oil/no-oil thing. But its a simple fact that the Bakken is done for the time being. NoDak is facing a $1B state budget shortfall. All I was saying is that its going to be uphill sledding to pay for facilities upgrades and to bring FCOA to fruition. And there just isn't that much money in Eastern MT. Gallatin County has more per capita income than all but 1 county in Eastern MT, and most of North Dakota as well. And that's with 30% of our population being students. The notion that somehow Eastern MT or Western ND is going to "make it rain" is pretty far-fetched. I'm from Glendive. I don't see a lot of money sloshing around there-I see a lot of people that live in a really economically depressed area that have had a couple of good years. Even though the boom, more people were leaving the oil patch to move to Bozeman than vice versa.

I know there are a number of fans along the hi-line and in Eastern MT that drive 6-8 hrs for a Bobcat game. No disrespect there: but the majority of fans at a Cat home game are more or less local. As such, it makes a whole bunch more sense to drive to the games that are either a reasonable weekend trip (ISU, WSU, EWU) or a vacation destination (NAU, PSU, SLO, even Davis).

As far as UND being "on the rise..." I guess we'll just wait and see. Like every team in the BSC, they have a couple of great players (Ratelle, Santiago). Is that enough to build a pipeline to compete for a BSC championship? My guess is no-they looked horrible in Bozeman last year, and if Prukop hadn't made some unforced errors, they would have lost to a pretty mediocre Cats team at home. I see them being a .400-.600 team for the foreseeable future. Remember, ISU looked like a playoff team last year, and SLO the year before. I'm waiting to see.

With that said, we play them every year, so I'm going to enjoy it. I hope we have a great showing in Grand Forks every other year-maybe someday I'll even go to a game there. And I have had almost universally good interactions with everyone I've ever met from south Canada. So heres to a future of uninterrupted Cat dominance over the formerly no-names!