Montana Recruits 2017

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Swan30
New Recruit

Re: Montana Recruits 2017

Post by Swan30 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:10 pm

Mark Estes is no relation to the Estes's in that area.

catsack
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catsack » Sun May 29, 2016 10:22 pm

Hey vim did you notice the highlights of the TB from Big Fork last year against Troy ! That's Opland he blows through on his way for a TD . Opland is the kid who's helmet goes flying not sure who the other kid he breaks free of is !

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun May 29, 2016 11:16 pm

catsack wrote:Hey vim did you notice the highlights of the TB from Big Fork last year against Troy ! That's Opland he blows through on his way for a TD . Opland is the kid who's helmet goes flying not sure who the other kid he breaks free of is !
You should also have noticed Sean's own teammate ran into him on that play while he was trying to make the tackle which actually popped his helmet off. But I do like Farrier. He runs hard!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Mon May 30, 2016 8:44 am

catsack wrote:Hey vim did you notice the highlights of the TB from Big Fork last year against Troy ! That's Opland he blows through on his way for a TD . Opland is the kid who's helmet goes flying not sure who the other kid he breaks free of is !
:roll:
Saying one kid is good, isn't saying another is bad. Farrier is a good football player, does it make you feel better bashing another football player?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon May 30, 2016 9:06 am

Bemiller49 wrote:
Saying one kid is good, isn't saying another is bad. Farrier is a good football player, does it make you feel better bashing another football player?
He's a griz fan from Polson. He'd rather bash a Cat recruit than promote his guy.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

catsack

Post by catsack » Mon May 30, 2016 9:49 am

Bemiller49 wrote:
Not once have I said anyone is bad ! I just think those two players are in the same league just trying to figure out why Vim gives so much love for one not much for the other! So show me who I was bashing Ben!!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon May 30, 2016 10:00 am

catsack wrote:
Bemiller49 wrote:
Not once have I said anyone is bad ! I just think those two players are in the same league just trying to figure out why Vim gives so much love for one not much for the other! So show me who I was bashing Ben!!
Full disclosure, is your last name farrier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Mon May 30, 2016 10:01 am

catsack wrote:
Bemiller49 wrote:
I will look back, but I know you have bashed Opland a couple times. What makes you think they are in the same league? Serious question, not making fun.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon May 30, 2016 10:07 am

catsack wrote:
Bemiller49 wrote:
Okay guys cool it. I give love to Sean because he deserves it. He is also in the 2016 class so I don't give any insight into 2017 kids in the 2016 thread. If you've noticed, I haven't even given my scouting reports on any 2017 kids. So Matt is not an exception. When comparing the two, Sean is about 25 lbs. heavier, a step faster, a three time all-state pick, two inches taller, and a better overall athlete. Matt runs very hard for 5'9", 170 lbs. but he will have to get bigger to get recruited by the Cats or the Griz. He will however be ranked high on the running back list going into his senior season. Lets let his senior season play out. It should be a good one.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Mon May 30, 2016 10:10 am

VimSince03 wrote:
catsack wrote:
Bemiller49 wrote:
Okay guys cool it. I give love to Sean because he deserves it. He is also in the 2016 class so I don't give any insight into 2017 kids in the 2016 thread. If you've noticed, I haven't even given my scouting reports on any 2017 kids. So Matt is not an exception. When comparing the two, Sean is about 25 lbs. heavier, a step faster, a three time all-state pick, two inches taller, and a better overall athlete. Matt runs very hard for 5'9", 170 lbs. but he will have to get bigger to get recruited by the Cats or the Griz. He will however be ranked high on the running back list going into his senior season. Lets let his senior season play out. It should be a good one.
Sorry Vim, wasn't trying to start anything. I was seriously wondering. But thanks for getting this back to the right topic. And yes, Farrier is a good football player.

catsack

Post by catsack » Mon May 30, 2016 10:29 am

VimSince03 wrote:
catsack wrote:
Bemiller49 wrote:
Speaking of polson kids what about the 6'5 320 pounder for polson I believe is a senior this year? I sure as hell wasn't trying to start a pissing match! Just pointing out he's a fine athlete, hell both the Cats and Griz have running backs in that size category!

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Mon May 30, 2016 11:01 am

catsack wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
catsack wrote:
Bemiller49 wrote:
Speaking of polson kids what about the 6'5 320 pounder for polson I believe is a senior this year? I sure as hell wasn't trying to start a pissing match! Just pointing out he's a fine athlete, hell both the Cats and Griz have running backs in that size category!
6'5' 320??? Wow!

catsack

Post by catsack » Mon May 30, 2016 11:24 am

Bemiller49 wrote:
catsack wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
catsack wrote:
Bemiller49 wrote:
6'5' 320??? Wow!
He's a big boy I believe he played mainly defense towards the end of the season. He looks all of 300+

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Mon May 30, 2016 12:49 pm

I got to watch Troy Anderson compete last weekend. Man, he can move. Especially for someone that tall.

catsack

Post by catsack » Mon May 30, 2016 5:33 pm

Bemiller49 wrote:
catsack wrote:
Bemiller49 wrote:
I will look back, but I know you have bashed Opland a couple times. What makes you think they are in the same league? Serious question, not making fun.
Just to answer your question based off of stats alone they are very comparative Farriers junior year just over 2000 all purpose yards Oplands junior year 1576 and his senior year 1887 I believe. They are both fine athletes and I wish them both good luck!!

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:03 pm

Look, my un-educated view on the Class/quality subject is this. Class AA enjoy certain advantages that Class C doesn't necessarily enjoy. At least the top teams. Not the bottom feeders year in and year out like some of the "cough cough" Missoula teams. I would argue Class AA has better coaches across the board. Maybe I'm wrong. Tell me a class C coach that measures up to Jack Johnson or the guys that have made their way thru Helena in the last 20 years. The bigger schools can afford better weight-rooms. 6 man is a different animal than 11 man. Class C favors speed. Its not as choked up with people. 12 guys on the field vs. 22. A lot more space to run away from people. I think its easier for a great athlete to out-athlete other players in Class C. But great athlete doesn't mean great football player. Yes, the athletes can be phenomenal, but look at the argument that a QB coming from a pro-style in college has a shorter learner curve than the one coming out of a spread. And yes, the other guy can have a bigger upside, but when you're talking high school to college.....if I'm debating between two similar players from AA and C and its close, I would go AA. Sure. I could be totally off-base here. Like I said, my un-educated opinion.

Vim. It would be interested for you to do a comparison like you did with Cat v. Griz recruiting classes with AA and C players from the last 20 years. There are always examples of great C players and dud AA players. But what percentage of each of been successful. I know you don't have anything but time so........

And basketball is a completely different animal than football. Everyone plays the same game with 5 on 5. Only consideration would be depth in basketball.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:16 pm

lutecat wrote:Look, my un-educated view on the Class/quality subject is this. Class AA enjoy certain advantages that Class C doesn't necessarily enjoy. At least the top teams. Not the bottom feeders year in and year out like some of the "cough cough" Missoula teams. I would argue Class AA has better coaches across the board. Maybe I'm wrong. Tell me a class C coach that measures up to Jack Johnson or the guys that have made their way thru Helena in the last 20 years. The bigger schools can afford better weight-rooms. 6 man is a different animal than 11 man. Class C favors speed. Its not as choked up with people. 12 guys on the field vs. 22. A lot more space to run away from people. I think its easier for a great athlete to out-athlete other players in Class C. But great athlete doesn't mean great football player. Yes, the athletes can be phenomenal, but look at the argument that a QB coming from a pro-style in college has a shorter learner curve than the one coming out of a spread. And yes, the other guy can have a bigger upside, but when you're talking high school to college.....if I'm debating between two similar players from AA and C and its close, I would go AA. Sure. I could be totally off-base here. Like I said, my un-educated opinion.

Vim. It would be interested for you to do a comparison like you did with Cat v. Griz recruiting classes with AA and C players from the last 20 years. There are always examples of great C players and dud AA players. But what percentage of each of been successful. I know you don't have anything but time so........

And basketball is a completely different animal than football. Everyone plays the same game with 5 on 5. Only consideration would be depth in basketball.
So for a quick response, Class C has 8-man and 6-man. Not just 6-man vs. 11-man.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:09 pm

Braxton Reiten. Columbia Falls.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:58 am

VimSince03 wrote:
catsack wrote:
Bemiller49 wrote:
Having coached Farrier and watched Opland his whole career, Opland deserves all the love he gets. He's as good an athlete and competitor as you'll see in Montana. He's bigger, faster and he jumps higher than Farrier. Opland might not have had as many all-purpose yards last year because he had to play QB last year just so he saw the ball on every play. Having said that, Farrier is as tough and competitive as anybody you'll ever watch. He runs hard and he runs well, but you'd like for somebody 5'9 to be a legit 4.4 guy. He's probably a 4.7 but he's a gamer. We'll just have to see how his senior year plays out.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:11 pm

https://twitter.com/SlimKimmel/status/740352417934381057

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."