Montana Recruits 2017

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Montana Recruits 2017

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:25 am

I'm pretty excited about the Peyton Hanser commitment. He was more of a late bloomer than his older brother Dylan. But Peyton had an underrated junior season at OLB for the Rams and also played second fiddle to Jacob Hadley at WR. He took off his senior season at OLB and earned All-State honors. He also started to fill out physically by going from 180 his junior season to 205 his senior season. He fits the mold of the type of OLB Choate wants to recruit: 6'4", long arms, runs well, and plays physical. Welcome aboard Peyton!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:43 am

VimSince03 wrote:I'm pretty excited about the Peyton Hanser commitment. He was more of a late bloomer than his older brother Dylan. But Peyton had an underrated junior season at OLB for the Rams and also played second fiddle to Jacob Hadley at WR. He took off his senior season at OLB and earned All-State honors. He also started to fill out physically by going from 180 his junior season to 205 his senior season. He fits the mold of the type of OLB Choate wants to recruit: 6'4", long arms, runs well, and plays physical. Welcome aboard Peyton!
Yep! I saw him up in Havre last weekend. Couldn't believe how much he filled out from last year to this year. This is a great, under-the-radar get for MSU.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:06 am

Dylan Hanser was 6'5", 210-215 lbs. his senior year for Billings Central. Played TE and OLB. Here is his hudl: Of course, Dylan now is the starting Rush Outside Linebacker at WSU and is up to 240.

Peyton is 6'4", 205 lbs. and moves/plays almost exactly like his brother.

Interesting fact from the 2013 Montana Recruiting Class: Dylan Hanser (OLB), Tucker Schye (MLB), and Mac Bignell (OLB) were the starting linebacker trio in the 2013 Badlands Bowl. Can't really say that trio hasn't been successful at the next level. Sure, Tucker has been moved to DE but he is definitely a productive asset for the Griz on defense and is the favorite to wear #37 next year.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:43 pm

Updated with the Top 30 now. Results are coming in final so no adjusting in January this year.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:29 am

Looks like the in-state recruiting is fairly split this year. I think unless a kid is obviously at a whole other level, like a Matt Miller, Brock Osweiler, that the top 5-10 MT recruits each year don't have a lot of seperation between them, and will be anyone's guess to see how they perform in college. Obviously I'm excited we have some of the top rated recruits in the state, but it is hard to see if our class will be better than the Griz's in 2 to 3 years.

I love the kids we got this year but the Griz certainly got some studs too.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:43 am

CelticCat wrote:Looks like the in-state recruiting is fairly split this year. I think unless a kid is obviously at a whole other level, like a Matt Miller, Brock Osweiler, that the top 5-10 MT recruits each year don't have a lot of seperation between them, and will be anyone's guess to see how they perform in college. Obviously I'm excited we have some of the top rated recruits in the state, but it is hard to see if our class will be better than the Griz's in 2 to 3 years.

Great job by the coaching staffs to keep them all in-state.

grizband
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by grizband » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:59 am

CelticCat wrote:Looks like the in-state recruiting is fairly split this year. I think unless a kid is obviously at a whole other level, like a Matt Miller, Brock Osweiler, that the top 5-10 MT recruits each year don't have a lot of seperation between them, and will be anyone's guess to see how they perform in college. Obviously I'm excited we have some of the top rated recruits in the state, but it is hard to see if our class will be better than the Griz's in 2 to 3 years.

Both in state classes look solid...would have loved Keaton Anderson to play for the Griz, though

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat_gld » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:56 pm

The difference within the 2-3 years may be the quality and consistency of respective coaching staffs. I'm liking our chances!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:37 pm

File this under the "we all knew it was coming" category....Ryan Arnston committed to Carroll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:29 am

Man the Tribune sees it a little different than you Vim. I'm only through the RB's but they have them as Arntson and Paro. Unless I missed it you don't even have Paro on your list. WTF? I'm kidding of course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:36 am

lutecat wrote:Man the Tribune sees it a little different than you Vim. I'm only through the RB's but they have them as Arntson and Paro. Unless I missed it you don't even have Paro on your list. WTF? I'm kidding of course.

I think the Tribune and I match up pretty well. Ryan Arntson was my top rated RB and he is in the Top 30. Paro will be in there somewhere.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:14 pm

I just realized I was referencing your preseason list. Not the final draft.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:46 pm

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/2016-all-us ... tball-team

Bobcat and Griz recruits well represented. Nate Dick earned offensive player of the year while Troy Andersen won defensive.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:17 pm

Troy Andersen's senior year highlight. Hard to find kids that can move that well at 6'3", 210 lbs. :shock:

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:12 pm

If there is an argument out there that Luke isn't the same athlete post-cancer (still incredible how quickly he bounced back), that argument would be incorrect. His senior highlight film and this little clip on his twitter page show he is just as good as his junior season...maybe better.
https://twitter.com/luke_gonzo/status/814474593599557632

In my opinion, Luke is the best QB recruit out of Montana this year (yes better than Nate Dick, Tanner Wilson, Callahan O'Reilly, and Bryson Deming) but both in-state schools have stocked up at that position. However, Luke is getting recruited as an athlete and he is a pretty good free safety. Could also be a natural WR in college. I just think as a QB, he has all the tools and he is a natural thrower. Will be interesting to see where he goes. According to a Skyline Sports article a few weeks ago, he has heavy interest from MSU and UM (which surprise me because the family is heavy Griz supporters) but no solid offer. UND and a potential walk-on spot at Texas Tech is still a possibility. Assuming it will come down to the visits in January since he hasn't announced anything yet. Should be a national story with what he went through this year.

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:56 pm

I am surprised Luke hasn't been named to any of the allstar games. Overall, it looks like the talent at class B isn't quite what it was last year.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:13 pm

Bemiller49 wrote:I am surprised Luke hasn't been named to any of the allstar games. Overall, it looks like the talent at class B isn't quite what it was last year.
I'ts positional. At QB, Nate Dick was the GPOY and the best high school QB in the state this year. And then you dig into the athletes named to the offense by the Great Falls Super-State team (Tadan Gilman, Callahan O'Reilly), his stats don't match up with those two at QB. And he isn't as good of a safety as Keaton Anderson and Troy Andersen. He is a safety selection for the Shrine Game for the East side.

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jdevries » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:46 pm

"Projected Value" means a lot for ALL of these recruits....

Bobcat For Life

Football games are won at the LOS

Glen47
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Glen47 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:03 pm

Also made the USA Today Montana 2nd team as QB...

Glen47
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Glen47 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:32 pm

Got to remember class B doesn't have the luxury to play all senior and junior on there starting lineup?