Montana Recruits 2017

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Re: Montana Recruits 2017

Post by Go Scats Go » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:58 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote: Can you use academic aid without it counting toward the 63 scholarship limit?
http://diycollegerankings.com/can-colle ... hips/6267/

Looks like really smart freshman can be exempt,otherwise, it counts?????
The report you showed said it does not count if the HS student has...
Division 1
Top 10% of the high school graduating class
Achieve a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.50
Score 1200 or higher on the SAT or ACT sum score of at least 105

Michael McGinnis is a 4.0 (or near) student and I believe the ACT is taken Junior year... so I am pretty sure he qualifies.
Last edited by Go Scats Go on Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:01 pm

I think Stitt does have a better view of this then most coaches.

At his previous job... they had zero football scholarships and he had to find football players that were great students.

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:15 pm

All FCS teams are allowed 63 full scholarships to fill the 94-man fall camp roster and the 105-man regular-season active roster. In an effort to spread the wealth and attract more talent to Montana State, the staff has identified high academic achievers and tried to get them financial aid in an effort to free up money for MSU’s football scholarship pool. MSU junior wide receiver Mitch Herbert is one example of a player who will receive both academic and athletic aid next season.
http://skylinesportsmt.com/bobcats-recr ... ew-regime/

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:59 am

Hawks86 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote: Can you use academic aid without it counting toward the 63 scholarship limit?

Looks like really smart freshman can be exempt,otherwise, it counts?????
Thanks for the link, I was always curious how that worked. So essentially, the answer is no, academic scholarships do not count against athletic scholarship unless there are special circumstances for athletes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:09 am

If a player does really well academically (top 10%, 3.5 gpa, high SAT or ACT), then you're allowed to give them some academic aid and have it be exempt from counting against your 63 scholarships.

If a player has a hardship (low income family), they you're allowed to use academic (Pell Grant) aid and have it be exempt from the 63.

I'm pretty sure all coaches are very well versed in this trade. You might run into problems if you're giving out academic aid to athletes when there are general students that need it. I would imagine UM, with its declining enrollment, has to keep an eye on that.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:15 am

TomCat88 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
JDoub wrote:
from Sidney. He wasn't in Vim's top 60 in April. Had a decent track season for a Junior (1st place 100m at Eastern A divisionals, 2nd place at state A). Went to griz camp, apparently where they offered him (according to egriz a full scholarship). Don't know if it's at WR or FS with the griz, just by his stats you'd have to guess defense, but they're always adding WR's over there so who knows?
I am guessing its not a full scholly (Its unknown) with his academic prowess. Stitt and staff are really good at getting academic eligible athletes to commit. And at the end of the day the player or parent doesn't care where the money comes from just that school is paid for.

will be fun to see how his Senior year goes.
Why would he do that?
Can you use academic aid without it counting toward the 63 scholarship limit?

We're doing it. Austin Barrette for example.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:44 am

Yes, if anyone is doing it, then MSU is definitely doing it. MSU is flush with high quality students and the sports programs are no different. I'm sure a large number of MSU athletes qualify for academic aid due to their classroom abilities.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:04 am

Go Scats Go wrote:I think Stitt does have a better view of this then most coaches.

At his previous job... they had zero football scholarships and he had to find football players that were great students.
I think your theory can work both ways. Stitt was limited with who he could recruit at Mines. Now, he can recruit any kids with subpar academics. His criteria has changed and it would seem academics will no longer be his main focus in evaluation of kids.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:12 am

Cataholic wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:I think Stitt does have a better view of this then most coaches.

I think your theory can work both ways. Stitt was limited with who he could recruit at Mines. Now, he can recruit any kids with subpar academics. His criteria has changed and it would seem academics will no longer be his main focus in evaluation of kids.
Academics has been a huge focus for every college coach and if you look at Stitt recruits, the kids he has brought in have been excellent in the classroom out of high school. If academics isn't one of your main priorities, the kid isn't going to make it past his first year.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:47 am

I've always been confused on this point. What exactly are the rules regarding "academic" scholarships for athletes?

It would certainly seem that if it was allowable for athletes to get full ride "academic" scholarships that some used car magnate in Alabama would have a billion dollar endowment set up in no time offering "academic" scholarships to every kid on the football team beyond the ones who received athletic scholarships.

What kind of rules are in place to prevent that kind of abuse (or less obvious abuses where an athlete would get an unspoken preference for legit academic scholarships)?

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:18 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Academics has been a huge focus for every college coach and if you look at Stitt recruits, the kids he has brought in have been excellent in the classroom out of high school. If academics isn't one of your main priorities, the kid isn't going to make it past his first year.
Vim thanks again for speaking truth. If there is one coach the Griz have had as of late that is ultra-focused on academics, it is Stitt. This can be seen in his last recruiting class and his transfers. Some think he is almost over-the-top with it as he literally gives these kids the equivalent of a job interview with his 60-question questionnaire. He wants to attract great athletes who will come in and get good grades. He puts a ton of emphasis on this. To your point, I'm sure Choate will be doing the same. He strikes me as that kind of guy, which is great.

It is also how he has been able to spread the financial aid so successfully across so many athletes. He is finding kids who can get partial football and academic dollars. I reported on that quite a while ago but was met with some opposition that it was illegal and UM would get themselves in trouble. Nothing illegal about it. Just have to find the right kids who qualify with good grades and SATs/ACTs. He and the staff have done an amazing job at this.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:24 pm

To your point, I'm sure Choate will be doing the same. He strikes me as that kind of guy, which is great.
Has already done it with his first recruiting class. Recruiting coordinator Michael Pitre has spoken on the subject when he took over as recruiting coordinator.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:57 am

SonomaCat wrote:I've always been confused on this point. What exactly are the rules regarding "academic" scholarships for athletes?

It would certainly seem that if it was allowable for athletes to get full ride "academic" scholarships that some used car magnate in Alabama would have a billion dollar endowment set up in no time offering "academic" scholarships to every kid on the football team beyond the ones who received athletic scholarships.

What kind of rules are in place to prevent that kind of abuse (or less obvious abuses where an athlete would get an unspoken preference for legit academic scholarships)?
I found the answer to my own question:

These rules actually make a lot of sense ... they are trying to accomplish a pretty tough goal (prevent abuse), and they seem like they probably do a pretty good job of doing that. The only major loophole would be relating to a high school with lots of grade inflation, but that's a pretty narrow issue.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:28 am

I think no one answered your question, because Hawks86 had already posted that link.

So can you continue to receive academic aid and have it not count against the 63 scholarship total after your freshman year, or is that just a one-time deal?

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:46 pm

iaafan wrote:I think no one answered your question, because Hawks86 had already posted that link.
Thanks.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:57 am

Grizaddict wrote:
Vim thanks again for speaking truth. If there is one coach the Griz have had as of late that is ultra-focused on academics, it is Stitt. This can be seen in his last recruiting class and his transfers. Some think he is almost over-the-top with it as he literally gives these kids the equivalent of a job interview with his 60-question questionnaire. He wants to attract great athletes who will come in and get good grades. He puts a ton of emphasis on this. To your point, I'm sure Choate will be doing the same. He strikes me as that kind of guy, which is great.

It is also how he has been able to spread the financial aid so successfully across so many athletes. He is finding kids who can get partial football and academic dollars. I reported on that quite a while ago but was met with some opposition that it was illegal and UM would get themselves in trouble. Nothing illegal about it. Just have to find the right kids who qualify with good grades and SATs/ACTs. He and the staff have done an amazing job at this.
A great example of this is the WR Transfer from UMASS that signed this summer with UM. I believe most coaches are looking for theses kids at the FCS level. For FBS its harder because ALL scholarships are full scholarships, so its strange to say but if the academics are not paying the full bill, it could actually hurts the players chances to be FBS.

In a new environment, (Lamarriel) Taylor became a 4.0 student and National Merit Scholarship winner, he's already sitting on a postgraduate scholarship, earned through a series of science tests taken and aced in high school.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:02 am

Considering their declining enrollment numbers, shouldn't UM be using its academic aid on non-athletes?

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:12 am

iaafan wrote:Considering their declining enrollment numbers, shouldn't UM be using its academic aid on non-athletes?
Is that the best you got... lame.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:18 am

You know what's really lame? Reneging on a bet.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:42 am

Hawks86 wrote:You know what's really lame? Reneging on a bet.
+1