Montana Recruits 2017

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Montana Recruits 2017

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:21 am

iaafan wrote:
Bemiller49 wrote:
And did you see Luke has cancer. :( Super sad stuff.
Luke who has cancer?
Luke Gonsioroski. Put up a thread about it.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue May 03, 2016 11:30 am

Some recruiting tidbits on the Montana kids:

- The University of North Dakota coaches have put their hat in the ring on the top players in the state. They are making a strong push to get into this state and if they can land a player, usually that can lead to more in the future. I felt this would happen sooner or later with them. NDSU puts some interest out their in Montana but they mainly focus on the Midwest. I plan on paying attention to this as the year goes on with UND.

- The MSU coaches literally may have went to every school in the state which would be one hell of a road trip if done by one person. They are using the "don't leave any stone unturned" approach in terms of recruiting the entire state. It looks like the coaching staff split into territories of Montana during the first week after spring ball and now BJ Robertson will continue to travel the state as the rest of the coaches have begun to establish their out-of-state areas.

- The state has a lot of "athletes" in this upcoming class that can play multiple positions at the next level. When trying to determine what position the coaches are recruiting them at, just take a look at which MSU coach follows them. BJ basically follows every kid in Montana who has any type of potential in 2016 so you can expect him to follow all the kids. It isn't always accurate because some coaches just have good relationships in Montana and will recruit the kid regardless of position. But if you are trying to convince a kid to come to your program at a different position they are currently playing at, usually the position coach helps sell them on how they want to use them in the system.

- Coach Choate hasn't even coached a game yet but he already has created significant buzz around the state with how he builds relationships and selling the vision he has for the program. Not only should we expect Choate to recruit well in-state but out-of-state as well. We will get quality student-athletes under Choate's watch and I'm excited to see how his first full year of recruiting will go.

- For the 2017 class, track is finishing up in May and then it will be the summer camp circuit.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue May 03, 2016 12:41 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Some recruiting tidbits on the Montana kids:

- The University of North Dakota coaches have put their hat in the ring on the top players in the state. They are making a strong push to get into this state and if they can land a player, usually that can lead to more in the future. I felt this would happen sooner or later with them. NDSU puts some interest out their in Montana but they mainly focus on the Midwest. I plan on paying attention to this as the year goes on with UND.

- The MSU coaches literally may have went to every school in the state which would be one hell of a road trip if done by one person. They are using the "don't leave any stone unturned" approach in terms of recruiting the entire state. It looks like the coaching staff split into territories of Montana during the first week after spring ball and now BJ Robertson will continue to travel the state as the rest of the coaches have begun to establish their out-of-state areas.

- The state has a lot of "athletes" in this upcoming class that can play multiple positions at the next level. When trying to determine what position the coaches are recruiting them at, just take a look at which MSU coach follows them. BJ basically follows every kid in Montana who has any type of potential in 2016 so you can expect him to follow all the kids. It isn't always accurate because some coaches just have good relationships in Montana and will recruit the kid regardless of position. But if you are trying to convince a kid to come to your program at a different position they are currently playing at, usually the position coach helps sell them on how they want to use them in the system.

- Coach Choate hasn't even coached a game yet but he already has created significant buzz around the state with how he builds relationships and selling the vision he has for the program. Not only should we expect Choate to recruit well in-state but out-of-state as well. We will get quality student-athletes under Choate's watch and I'm excited to see how his first full year of recruiting will go.

- For the 2017 class, track is finishing up in May and then it will be the summer camp circuit.
I love hearing things like that. It makes me very excited about the future of the program.

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Tue May 03, 2016 2:53 pm

John K wrote:

I love hearing things like that. It makes me very excited about the future of the program.
+1

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue May 03, 2016 3:24 pm

John K wrote:

Not that our previous Coach didn't support the other MSU athletics (he did) but Choate just has attacked it in a different way.
https://twitter.com/AndyCurtisKBZK/status/718241283932823552

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:27 am

Note: If anyone feels slighted that a kid isn't on here, I'm still going through rosters and seeing if any kids stand out. I'm still finding a lot of new ones every day. I start the review process by going through every All-state list at each class level and continue to the all-conference lists. Then I start to look at rosters because sometimes kids get buried on all-conference lists because other kids get accolades at the same position. Basically, some positions are better across the board in terms of talent so some really talented kids don't get recognition. Happens a lot at the AA level. The ranking on the front page will continue to grow to show more kids.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Thu May 05, 2016 4:56 pm

My wife met BJ Robertson a couple weeks ago. He was walking through the school and noticed she had Cat gear on and the principal told him that she was a big cat fan, so he stopped and had a 10 minute conversation with her. She said he was really nice and very well spoken, so I'm glad we've got such a good representative of the MSU program traveling through the state and building relationships. Good job coach!
Last edited by blueandgoldblitz on Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Thu May 05, 2016 7:23 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:

My wife met BJ Robertson in Eureka a couple weeks ago. He was walking through the school and noticed she had Cat gear on and the principal told him that she was a big cat fan, so he stopped and had a 10 minute conversation with her. She said he was really nice and very well spoken, so I'm glad we've got such a good representative of the MSU program traveling through the state and building relationships. Good job coach!
BJ is a really good guy. His dad John was a great guy and one hell of a cowboy. I'm sure glad BJ is on our staff. =D^

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:35 pm

In the above photo is Mac Bignell (#3) during his junior season playing for Drummond. In high school, he was about 6'1", 180 lbs.

Fast-forward to last year and he is a 6'1", 205 lb all-big sky linebacker.

I did this as a reminder as I'm looking at these Class C players going into their senior season. The saying goes, "If you are good enough, you will be found." But sometimes that isn't even enough. I heard from a lot of people back in the day saying Mac wasn't big enough to play in the Big Sky but then those same people would say a certain AA player (at the same size) was a surefire FCS talent. Then after getting no offers, Mac goes and dominates the all-star games...still nothing. Walks on in the fall, redshirts, and turns into a very good scout team player. By the time he is a freshman, he makes the two-deep and is a core special team contributor. Then he gets his chance as a sophomore and thrives.

Just another remind that after signing day is over, all that matters is what you show on the football field and in the weight room. If you don't get a scholarship, don't complain. Instead go earn yourself one!

PS: Class C players can be just as good as Class AA players. If people make the argument that a Class C kid isn't going to succeed just because of the "level of play" argument, I'm not talking to you anymore. 8)

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu May 26, 2016 5:03 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Image

In the above photo is Mac Bignell (#3) during his junior season playing for Drummond. In high school, he was about 6'1", 180 lbs.

I did this as a reminder as I'm looking at these Class C players going into their senior season. The saying goes, "If you are good enough, you will be found." But sometimes that isn't even enough. I heard from a lot of people back in the day saying Mac wasn't big enough to play in the Big Sky but then those same people would say a certain AA player (at the same size) was a surefire FCS talent. Then after getting no offers, Mac goes and dominates the all-star games...still nothing. Walks on in the fall, redshirts, and turns into a very good scout team player. By the time he is a freshman, he makes the two-deep and is a core special team contributor. Then he gets his chance as a sophomore and thrives.

Just another remind that after signing day is over, all that matters is what you show on the football field and in the weight room. If you don't get a scholarship, don't complain. Instead go earn yourself one!

PS: Class C players can be just as good as Class AA players. If people make the argument that a Class C kid isn't going to succeed just because of the "level of play" argument, I'm not talking to you anymore. 8)
The level you play doesn't mean much. You don't get good in games, you find out how good you are and how good you need to get in games. You get good mostly by doing drills/training on your own. Bignell, Kirk, McGhee, Daly, Owens and many others will tell you this. Camps and practice are where you learn the drills that you need to do on your own.

The owner of one of the biggest camps in America said, "you get good by practicing A-L-O-N-E." Saying that doesn't help his business.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

topey711
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by topey711 » Thu May 26, 2016 5:16 pm

I agree with you Vim, if a kid can play, they can play. For some reason people think AA football in Montana is stacked with all the talent. I've watched film and while the level of play is higher, it's not anywhere near what people make it out be. I know it's not football but at the Billings Hotel senior classic basketball tournament ALL FOUR AA teams lost to class B. And I believe it varies from year to year. People need to remember that most of the kids coming from smaller schools have not had the advantages that kids from big schools have. Give these kids the good facilities, equipment, coaching, support etc. and they thrive.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:05 pm

AA players have the advantage of finding out how good they aren't more readily than lower division players. It isn't the level, it's the amount of quality work you put in. Bobby Knight's old saying, "Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." He wasn't just talking about team practice.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu May 26, 2016 8:19 pm

topey711 wrote:I agree with you Vim, if a kid can play, they can play. For some reason people think AA football in Montana is stacked with all the talent. I've watched film and while the level of play is higher, it's not anywhere near what people make it out be. I know it's not football but at the Billings Hotel senior classic basketball tournament ALL FOUR AA teams lost to class B. And I believe it varies from year to year. People need to remember that most of the kids coming from smaller schools have not had the advantages that kids from big schools have. Give these kids the good facilities, equipment, coaching, support etc. and they thrive.
Totally agree, the bigger schools obviously have deeper teams which means more talent overall, but if you take the best from each level most people would be surprised how good smaller schools are. In 2005 I played in the HIT tournament, the real HIT tournament before it moved to Havre and diminished, and we played the AA for the championship and beat them. That AA team had Charlie Cox, Jack Mcgillis, Bobby Howard, and Jordan Haskell. They were good, but so were us little old class B guys.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Thu May 26, 2016 8:20 pm

Question .... It seems like a landfall of offers are coming in each day. I don't remember this many in years past? Are we casting a larger net or is it the proliferation of social media that has burgeoned the awareness ?

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu May 26, 2016 10:02 pm

Common Cat wrote:Question .... It seems like a landfall of offers are coming in each day. I don't remember this many in years past? Are we casting a larger net or is it the proliferation of social media that has burgeoned the awareness ?
Social media awareness. Coach Ash and crew always threw out offers early. Most of the kids we offer now will likely go FBS but it's good to try and get them hooked now instead of being a late offer later. Kids remember the early offers. Also good to remember that recruiting is an inexact science. You get them interested any way you can. Summer camps are a big deal when it comes to offers, especially for the Montana kids.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu May 26, 2016 10:13 pm

Mac is a beast, but can any of us truly imagine how hard college would have been if we couldn't hear!? I had a hard enough time as it was, but to not be able to hear! Props to this kid, I bet he will do whatever he wants in life.

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Fri May 27, 2016 9:09 am

Off topic a little (Montana Recruits 2018) but related to Drummond & Class C, I see they have a three sport sophomore star named Mark Estes who has put up some outstanding track & field marks this spring. Out of curiosity, would anyone know if he is distant relative to the legendary Wayne Estes of Anaconda? Just seems that Drummond has been the beneficiary other athletic Anaconda family transplants.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri May 27, 2016 9:44 am

arvcat2 wrote:

Off topic a little (Montana Recruits 2018) but related to Drummond & Class C, I see they have a three sport sophomore star named Mark Estes who has put up some outstanding track & field marks this spring. Out of curiosity, would anyone know if he is distant relative to the legendary Wayne Estes of Anaconda? Just seems that Drummond has been the beneficiary other athletic Anaconda family transplants.
May be some family relation. Mark is definitely already on the 2018 radar. Future wide receiver or safety.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri May 27, 2016 10:24 am

[quote="TomCat88"]The level you play doesn't mean much. You don't get good in games, you find out how good you are and how good you need to get in games. You get good mostly by doing drills/training on your own. Bignell, Kirk, McGhee, Daly, Owens and many others will tell you this. Camps and practice are where you learn the drills that you need to do on your own.

The owner of one of the biggest camps in America said, "you get good by practicing A-L-O-N-E." Saying that doesn't help his business.[/quote]

Very few fans understand this. A lot of people I talk to seem to think playing a ton of games will make you better. There are things that happen in games that make you better, but most non-skills things like learning to breathe, handle the crowd, how the pre-game routine works...stuff you don't get in practices. Getting good mostly happens away from team practices and games.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat May 28, 2016 9:20 am

VimSince03 wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:

May be some family relation. Mark is definitely already on the 2018 radar. Future wide receiver or safety.
I believe Waynes's brother, Ron, has some kids/grandkids that live in the Phillipsburg - Drummond area. I think they combined the two programs for football. An Estes decendant played basketball in Anaconda a couple of years ago and lit up the Snake Pit on a regular basis. You might also recall the Huot brothers from the early nineties in Anaconda. They were Wayne's nephews and ended playing football at Oregon State. Cory became a team captain and linebacker at OSU.