OWN THE STATE

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: OWN THE STATE

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:05 pm

That would actually be fun to research. Pick a 4 year time frame. Draft a team from the Cats,griz, and Frontier. Consisting of only MT guys. Could there actually have been a team that would have been competitive nationally?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:05 pm

VimSince03 wrote:The real question is when are the two boards gonna settle this thing once and for all on the field in a pick-up game of tackle football.

There will be pulled hamstrings, thrown-up beer, slap fights, men moving really slowly for their age, the one tough guy who lifts a lot of weights but has zero athletic ability, women shaking their heads at their husbands, arguments not getting solved with logic (wait that already happens), etc.
Sounds like fun!!! Sign me up.

:suds: :suds:

DriftCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriftCat » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:16 pm

GetEm_Griz wrote:
catatac wrote:
seataccat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
DriftCat wrote:My favorite quote of the article:

“I’m not worried about the University of Montana,” Choate said.

As in, not worried about them and not in competition with them because they won't compete with MSU going forward. The tide has turned and it is becoming more and more evident. Just look at the Gazette article about UM's recruiting class and the comments from griz fans up in arms about the lack of in-state recruits. "We are Montana" will have to be changed to "We are a small % of Montana"......you better believe Choate knows what this rivalry means......he has already said it in his initial press conference.
A couple of questions.
First, Choates quote sounds a lot like what Bobby Hauck might say... the guy BN crucifies as satan himself. So why is it OK for a Bobcat coach to say this and if a Griz coach had said the same thing... he would be a Prick or worse?

2nd question: Serious question, what has turned?
Do you think that because msu has signed more Montana kids to play football, that that changes things... really, how has that turned or changed anything?

The point is that NO ONE KNOWS which in-state guy will be a star or IF ANY WILL BE!
I would even say that over the years the Griz have been extremely lucky with instate guys that became stars and headed to the NFL. But there is not a single soul alive that though that those guys coming out of HS would end up in the NFL. Look at the list: NO ONE WOULD HAVE GUESSED the NFL for ANY OF THESE GUYS when they were signed at UM...

Carpenter
Coyle
Anderson
Mariani
Reynolds
Tripp
Wagenmann

So why is it that cats fans assume that signing more instate guys all the sudden makes them a shoe in for success in the future?
That’s a fair post. It might be the most thoughtful thing you have ever posted on here. With you being a mod on egriz I am always amazed at the crap you post over here.

The first question about Choate and BGB is like comparing apples to oranges. Choate has never said anything derogatory towards the UM. Hauck did it all the time. Everything that came out of his mouth was some sort of childish derogatory comment about “STATE”. He really was a classless jack ass when he dealt with sports writers, fans and players. Comparing that to Choate saying he doesn’t care what the UM does is not a serious comparison.

The second question is absolutely right. Nobody knows who got the better recruiting class or whether anything will change as far as the recent past of the UM dominating the Cat/Grizz rivalry. Nobody can deny that the two schools have had some amazing in state recruits, most of which have been walk-ons for both schools. Personally I don’t think we need to recruit nationally to compete in the BSC. I believe we can compete at the FCS level with the majority of the players being in state. I think this attitude is reflected by Coach Choate as well but not shared by coach Stitt over at the grizz. It will be interesting to see who is right in the next few years. Mike Kramer had an amazing recruiting class his very first year at MSU with a bunch of in state kids with no rivals stars after their names. We want players at MSU that want to be bobcats, trying to compete with places like Washington for players is not a recipe for success.
Disagree, and why would you even want to test that theory? We've debated this time and again on here, and the state of Montana just simply doesn't have enough D1 players to go around year after year. Yes, they will likely give 110% to the program, but there are SO MANY better players available out there from other states year after year.
Bingo. You have to recruit out of state if you want to compete at the national level in Montana.
Here's the thing.....there isn't anyone in their right mind that thinks either team could compete on a National level with ONLY MT kids.

The funny thing is, and why I decided to stir the pot in the first place, all the grizeased fans out there used to hang their hat on the fact they had more MT kids and would beat the drum on how this made their team more successful because MT kids knew the rivalry, had a better work ethic, wanted it more, etc. Where do you think the derogatory term Boz Angeles came from in regards to Bozeman?

Now that the coin has flipped this year with MSU getting more, quality recruits from in-state, they aren't as important in order to build a solid program. Funny is all.

I'll bet you this, next year if UM has more in-state recruits than MSU all the grizeased will be right back beating the drum.......

F.K.A. - MM7CAT

Triple C
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Triple C » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:36 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
lutecat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
DriftCat wrote:My favorite quote of the article:

As in, not worried about them and not in competition with them because they won't compete with MSU going forward. The tide has turned and it is becoming more and more evident. Just look at the Gazette article about UM's recruiting class and the comments from griz fans up in arms about the lack of in-state recruits. "We are Montana" will have to be changed to "We are a small % of Montana"......you better believe Choate knows what this rivalry means......he has already said it in his initial press conference.
A couple of questions.
First, Choates quote sounds a lot like what Bobby Hauck might say... the guy BN crucifies as satan himself. So why is it OK for a Bobcat coach to say this and if a Griz coach had said the same thing... he would be a Prick or worse?

Yeah. I thought the same thing. It's just that he didn't make it sound so "dickish" like BH would've.
You guys are also missing the other quote where Choate said the University of Montana is an outstanding place and he told recruits to look around if they feel they need to.
And most over here dont understand that the Stitt quote was not reported correctly... IE He never said it.
Oh, I understand the context and that's exactly why I quoted the tweet from AJ for my signature line. It's no different than 90% of the drivel that gets posted daily on egriz and after enough quoting, eventually becomes gospel. Hopefully this "quote" does as well. Glad to see so many Griz fans trying to defend his actual words. It's quite funny, really.

Stitt: "Griz got 5 best in state. Small Montana class, but quality" Translation? "We didn't want all of the ones we offered"

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:16 pm

Does the name John Wooden ring a bell? Had a modicum of success as a men's bb coach at an LA area college. His philosophy was always focus on the things you can control. I'll bet Jeff is a student of John. There is nothing that Jeff can do about any other program so he is going to focus on what he can control.

This site and others like it are full of posters demonstrating their low self esteem. It does have entertainment value and some are masters at it - whether they realize it or not.

Ultimately, we are talking about a games here. As my brother says " I root for the grizzlies any time they are not playing the Cats." The important product of all of these activities is that we should produce people who are interested in and capable of being good solid contributors to the success of mankind.

I hope we are all wildly successful in that endeavor. Now on to the games!!

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

bertram
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bertram » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:11 pm

News Guy Ryan Greene posted the below video to YouTube today: Cats Camp, old footage I am guessing due to shorts, no shirts and/or sleeveless Ts (and Prukop tossing ropes)

Didn't want to create a new thread just for this video, and this thread seemed as good of a place to post it as any