OWN THE STATE

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: OWN THE STATE

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:44 pm

GetEm_Griz wrote:
DriftCat wrote:My favorite quote of the article:

“I’m not worried about the University of Montana,” Choate said.

As in, not worried about them and not in competition with them because they won't compete with MSU going forward. The tide has turned and it is becoming more and more evident. Just look at the Gazette article about UM's recruiting class and the comments from griz fans up in arms about the lack of in-state recruits. "We are Montana" will have to be changed to "We are a small % of Montana"......you better believe Choate knows what this rivalry means......he has already said it in his initial press conference.

GO CATS, FTG!
LMAO Griz fans who are complaining about "not having enough in-state players" don't get it. The Griz and the Cats cannot compete on a national level without quality out of state recruits. Personally, I couldn't care less if we have 5 or 20 players on the roster from Montana. Yes, it''s great having local boys on the team but If you can land an out-of-state player who's better than a Montana kid, I want that out-of-state player on my team.
Why not have both? At the end of the day, the best player wins out when they are on the roster whether they are from Montana or out-of-state.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:45 pm

As in, not worried about them and not in competition with them because they won't compete with MSU going forward. The tide has turned and it is becoming more and more evident. Just look at the Gazette article about UM's recruiting class and the comments from griz fans up in arms about the lack of in-state recruits. "We are Montana" will have to be changed to "We are a small % of Montana"......you better believe Choate knows what this rivalry means......he has already said it in his initial press conference.
A couple of questions.
First, Choates quote sounds a lot like what Bobby Hauck might say... the guy BN crucifies as satan himself. So why is it OK for a Bobcat coach to say this and if a Griz coach had said the same thing... he would be a Prick or worse?

2nd question: Serious question, what has turned?
Do you think that because msu has signed more Montana kids to play football, that that changes things... really, how has that turned or changed anything?

The point is that NO ONE KNOWS which in-state guy will be a star or IF ANY WILL BE!
I would even say that over the years the Griz have been extremely lucky with instate guys that became stars and headed to the NFL. But there is not a single soul alive that though that those guys coming out of HS would end up in the NFL. Look at the list: NO ONE WOULD HAVE GUESSED the NFL for ANY OF THESE GUYS when they were signed at UM...

Carpenter
Coyle
Anderson
Mariani
Reynolds
Tripp
Wagenmann

So why is it that cats fans assume that signing more instate guys all the sudden makes them a shoe in for success in the future?

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:54 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:

A couple of questions.
First, Choates quote sounds a lot like what Bobby Hauck might say... the guy BN crucifies as satan himself. So why is it OK for a Bobcat coach to say this and if a Griz coach had said the same thing... he would be a Prick or worse?

Do you think that because msu has signed more Montana kids to play football, that that changes things... really, how has that turned or changed anything?

The point is that NO ONE KNOWS which in-state guy will be a star or IF ANY WILL BE!
I would even say that over the years the Griz have been extremely lucky with instate guys that became stars and headed to the NFL. But there is not a single soul alive that though that those guys coming out of HS would end up in the NFL. Look at the list: NO ONE WOULD HAVE GUESSED the NFL for ANY OF THESE GUYS when they were signed at UM...

Carpenter
Coyle
Anderson
Mariani
Reynolds
Tripp
Wagenmann

So why is it that cats fans assume that signing more instate guys all the sudden makes them a shoe in for success in the future?
Who said anything about more? We got the better overall quality this year :wink: But no what it comes down to really is how you recruit out-of-state and that has been proven every year by the best programs. The in-state players will play their asses off for their school. um and MSU will always have Montana kids contributing on their rosters and each year one group of Montana kids will outshine the other group. So far, Bob Stitt has done very well on getting out-of-state kids to um. Choate got nine out-of-state players (eight are star rated players) to join up this year in a short period of time (just like Stitt did last year) and I expect him to be very successful in the years to come for Bobcat recruiting. Montana State and montana will be fun to watch for years to come under these two coaching staffs. Like Gregorak said, the Big Sky should come down to MSU and um every year. It is the way it should be.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:01 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:

A couple of questions.

Carpenter
Coyle
Anderson
Mariani
Reynolds
Tripp
Wagenmann

Who said anything about more? We got the better overall quality this year :wink: But no what it comes down to really is how you recruit out-of-state and that has been proven every year by the best programs. The in-state players will play their asses off for their school. um and MSU will always have Montana kids contributing on their rosters and each year one group of Montana kids will outshine the other group. So far, Bob Stitt has done very well on getting out-of-state kids to um. Choate got nine out-of-state players (eight are star rated players) to join up this year in a short period of time (just like Stitt did last year) and I expect him to be very successful in the years to come for Bobcat recruiting. Montana State and montana will be fun to watch for years to come under these two coaching staffs. Like Gregorak said, the Big Sky should come down to MSU and um every year. It is the way it should be.
My point is that there are MANY bobcat fans that are hanging their hats on being vastly improved because they have SO many more instate guys... there is little to no proof of that. Need to wait a few years.

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:05 pm

So? Should I start a post on what many griz fans are saying? Go Moderate Go.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:06 pm

Hawks86 wrote:So? Should I start a post on what many griz fans are saying? Go Moderate Go.
English...

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:07 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:

A couple of questions.

Carpenter
Coyle
Anderson
Mariani
Reynolds
Tripp
Wagenmann

That’s a fair post. It might be the most thoughtful thing you have ever posted on here. With you being a mod on egriz I am always amazed at the crap you post over here.

The first question about Choate and BGB is like comparing apples to oranges. Choate has never said anything derogatory towards the UM. Hauck did it all the time. Everything that came out of his mouth was some sort of childish derogatory comment about “STATE”. He really was a classless jack ass when he dealt with sports writers, fans and players. Comparing that to Choate saying he doesn’t care what the UM does is not a serious comparison.

The second question is absolutely right. Nobody knows who got the better recruiting class or whether anything will change as far as the recent past of the UM dominating the Cat/Grizz rivalry. Nobody can deny that the two schools have had some amazing in state recruits, most of which have been walk-ons for both schools. Personally I don’t think we need to recruit nationally to compete in the BSC. I believe we can compete at the FCS level with the majority of the players being in state. I think this attitude is reflected by Coach Choate as well but not shared by coach Stitt over at the grizz. It will be interesting to see who is right in the next few years. Mike Kramer had an amazing recruiting class his very first year at MSU with a bunch of in state kids with no rivals stars after their names. We want players at MSU that want to be bobcats, trying to compete with places like Washington for players is not a recipe for success.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:10 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:

A couple of questions.

Yeah. I thought the same thing. It's just that he didn't make it sound so "dickish" like BH would've.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:16 pm

lutecat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:

A couple of questions.

Yeah. I thought the same thing. It's just that he didn't make it sound so "dickish" like BH would've.
You guys are also missing the other quote where Choate said the University of Montana is an outstanding place and he told recruits to look around if they feel they need to.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:18 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
lutecat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:

A couple of questions.

You guys are also missing the other quote where Choate said the University of Montana is an outstanding place and he told recruits to look around if they feel they need to.
And most over here dont understand that the Stitt quote was not reported correctly... IE He never said it.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:26 pm

Oh man! Who cares? We'll find out in four or five years which school has the best coach, best team and we'll let it go at that. I don't remember or even care but a coach I used to pay attention to once said something to the effect that your records says it all as far as being a coach. I hope we can keep the Rensvoldt kid from Polson in state next year because he's something special.

RationalGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RationalGriz » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:30 pm

This thread is priceless! There are only so many Montana kids that are D1 football players every year. Sometimes UM gets more and sometimes MSU gets more, and these kids decide based on any number of reasons. Stitt has not abandoned recruiting Montana kids, and of course he wants to get all the best in-state kids every year as does Choate. Last year, UM did very well recruiting Montana kids and this year I will admit that MSU got some kids that Montana would have loved to sign. I laugh every year when either fan base declares victory because they recruited more Montana kids....and not because I don't respect what Montana kids bring to each program, but because it is only a small part to what makes a program successful. I will also add, and many people won't like this train of thought, but UM and MSU love in-state kids because they can use the scatter gun approach. They can get quantity by only offering walk-on or little money in hopes that they get a little quality in most years for all those fringe players.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:31 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
lutecat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:

A couple of questions.

And most over here dont understand that the Stitt quote was not reported correctly... IE He never said it.
Really? because I've seen it printed in like 5 newspapers... And you think Choate saying he's not concerned with UM is somehow a slight? Dude, your skin is about as thick as a 12 year old girl.

What's more telling is I challenge you to find user posts here bashing griz recruits, I bet you can't find 1, but I can find several egriz posters bashing cat recruits for no reason other than they're cat recruits... Stay Classless grizzlies.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:36 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:So? Should I start a post on what many griz fans are saying? Go Moderate Go.
English...

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:37 pm

RationalGriz wrote:This thread is priceless! There are only so many Montana kids that are D1 football players every year. Sometimes UM gets more and sometimes MSU gets more, and these kids decide based on any number of reasons. Stitt has not abandoned recruiting Montana kids, and of course he wants to get all the best in-state kids every year as does Choate. Last year, UM did very well recruiting Montana kids and this year I will admit that MSU got some kids that Montana would have loved to sign. I laugh every year when either fan base declares victory because they recruited more Montana kids....and not because I don't respect what Montana kids bring to each program, but because it is only a small part to what makes a program successful. I will also add, and many people won't like this train of thought, but UM and MSU love in-state kids because they can use the scatter gun approach. They can get quantity by only offering walk-on or little money in hopes that they get a little quality in most years for all those fringe players.
Very good points all-around!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:23 pm

seataccat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:

A couple of questions.

Carpenter
Coyle
Anderson
Mariani
Reynolds
Tripp
Wagenmann

That’s a fair post. It might be the most thoughtful thing you have ever posted on here. With you being a mod on egriz I am always amazed at the crap you post over here.

The first question about Choate and BGB is like comparing apples to oranges. Choate has never said anything derogatory towards the UM. Hauck did it all the time. Everything that came out of his mouth was some sort of childish derogatory comment about “STATE”. He really was a classless jack ass when he dealt with sports writers, fans and players. Comparing that to Choate saying he doesn’t care what the UM does is not a serious comparison.

The second question is absolutely right. Nobody knows who got the better recruiting class or whether anything will change as far as the recent past of the UM dominating the Cat/Grizz rivalry. Nobody can deny that the two schools have had some amazing in state recruits, most of which have been walk-ons for both schools. Personally I don’t think we need to recruit nationally to compete in the BSC. I believe we can compete at the FCS level with the majority of the players being in state. I think this attitude is reflected by Coach Choate as well but not shared by coach Stitt over at the grizz. It will be interesting to see who is right in the next few years. Mike Kramer had an amazing recruiting class his very first year at MSU with a bunch of in state kids with no rivals stars after their names. We want players at MSU that want to be bobcats, trying to compete with places like Washington for players is not a recipe for success.
Disagree, and why would you even want to test that theory? We've debated this time and again on here, and the state of Montana just simply doesn't have enough D1 players to go around year after year. Yes, they will likely give 110% to the program, but there are SO MANY better players available out there from other states year after year.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

GetEm_Griz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by GetEm_Griz » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:44 pm

catatac wrote:
seataccat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:

A couple of questions.

Carpenter
Coyle
Anderson
Mariani
Reynolds
Tripp
Wagenmann

Disagree, and why would you even want to test that theory? We've debated this time and again on here, and the state of Montana just simply doesn't have enough D1 players to go around year after year. Yes, they will likely give 110% to the program, but there are SO MANY better players available out there from other states year after year.
Bingo. You have to recruit out of state if you want to compete at the national level in Montana.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:47 pm

GetEm_Griz wrote:
catatac wrote:
seataccat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:

A couple of questions.

Carpenter
Coyle
Anderson
Mariani
Reynolds
Tripp
Wagenmann

Bingo. You have to recruit out of state if you want to compete at the national level in Montana.
Some Cat fans and Griz fans posting logically, rationally, and agreeing with each other? I don't like this one bit. Nope, not one bit. Here, I'll fix it.

Eat a dick.

Fwiw, I completely agree with you. And I think a decent portion of the cat fans in here are coming off like little bitches. I also think the majority of egriz, Payton Lives especially, come off as mentally imbalanced imbeciles.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:51 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:
English...
Scram :D

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:55 pm

The real question is when are the two boards gonna settle this thing once and for all on the field in a pick-up game of tackle football.

There will be pulled hamstrings, thrown-up beer, slap fights, men moving really slowly for their age, the one tough guy who lifts a lot of weights but has zero athletic ability, women shaking their heads at their husbands, arguments not getting solved with logic (wait that already happens), etc.