OWN THE STATE

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Re: OWN THE STATE

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:54 pm

aucat wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
DaCats21 wrote:What in the hell is Hero Sports?
The MSNBC of sports
Or maybe even worse, the Fox News of Sports! I think they are the
consistent winners of the "pants on fire" competitions hands down!
Either way ;)

mcg
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mcg » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:51 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:Seems some Griz fans now think they can't compete at the elite level without bringing in a lot of out of state guys. They point to NDSU, who doesn't have too many ND guys on the roster.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
They have a pretty valid point too.
So we should just ignore the best players in Montana? I've said this before and I'll say it again. Montana recruiting has not been the problem for the Cats over the past 10 years. We have struggled to evaluate our out-of-state talent. I broke it down in two posts back in November. Our attrition rates in out-of-state talent over that span is about 50-60% meaning about half of the players we have recruited from out-of-state have stuck around or made an impact. That isn't good enough and it needs to change. Have we had all-time greats in that span? Absolutely! But the other half of those recruits are misses by our coaches.

And to add another point to what "Griz Fans" think, Stitt and Co. offered:

Chase Benson
Michael Jobman
Jake Sessions
Derek Marks
Balue Chapman
Kyle Finch
Jacob Hadley

It isn't like the Griz didn't want those Montana players. If people want to tell me I'm a liar on this info, PM me and we will have a chat.
The griz list the following MT players as signed;

Jed Nagler...........Whitefish (only one on offense)

Trace Bradshaw.....Bozeman
Trase LeTexier......Jefferson
Cole Rosling.........Capital
Jace Lewis...........Townsend

Of the 5 above, I'm assuming that Nagler is getting a 'full' scholarship and that MSU offered a 'full' scholarship as well. However, of the 4 remaining recruits does any know if;
MSU made scholarship offers?
UM offers include scholarships?
MSU offered Trace after he committed to the Griz. Trace stayed put. MSU offered Rosling a partial like the Griz. Trase and Jace were PWO's and remained that throughout the process. However, on all these recuits, Bradshaw was the only one that wasn't a known Griz fan. And also, these five kids are very good football players that should succeed in Missoula. I have the same feelings on our Montana kids.
Then specific to the topic thread...."OWN THE STATE" when it comes to competing for MT scholarship players;

MSU 7....Benson, Jobman, Sessions, Marks, Chapman, Finch, Hadley
um 3.....Nagler, Bradshaw, Rosling

Could the PWO players end up being very high impact players......sure (i.e. Brad Daly, Caleb Schreibies)....but what we know today, logic and the numbers show that we 'OWN THE STATE" this year. I think credit goes to;
Coach Choate
MSU coaching staff, particularly Robertson, Bo, Kane, Armstrong
Coach Ash
Perhaps the reason the team in Bozeman signed so many players from Montana is that the coaching staff's deep roots in Frontier Conference football made it the primary place they were able to go.

BWahlberg
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BWahlberg » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:53 am

lutecat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
DicTater wrote:
Why would anyone go read egriz? That will just rot your brain. Life and sanity are too fragile to deal with that cesspool of irrationality. do yourself a favor and swear it off, you'll feel better and live longer.
I agree with this. One used to get some decent information over there, and I think Wahlberg still tries, but I just went and looked at it the other day and read a few threads and it was like reading a bunch of junior high kids try to out smartass each other.

When PR apparently looks to be one of the most reasonable posters there at this point, and Wahlberg from what I read seems like a beaten-down adult after trying to communicate with unruly children for too long, it's not really worth it at this point.
Dude. You're not lying. Lately PR and 75 seem to be more rational than most. Scary. And I'm the same. I used to get a lot of info from there. I knew more about the players on that team than 75% of griz fans, I'd say. I had a conversation with some griz fans I'd never met watching the opening game vs. NDSU. I told them stuff they'd never heard. But now I get bored reading all the BS trying to find good info. I notice Remax posts less now too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
I still post plenty. Just less in the off season.

And PapaG I think you're sometimes right about me, haha

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:22 am

mcg wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:Seems some Griz fans now think they can't compete at the elite level without bringing in a lot of out of state guys. They point to NDSU, who doesn't have too many ND guys on the roster.

So we should just ignore the best players in Montana? I've said this before and I'll say it again. Montana recruiting has not been the problem for the Cats over the past 10 years. We have struggled to evaluate our out-of-state talent. I broke it down in two posts back in November. Our attrition rates in out-of-state talent over that span is about 50-60% meaning about half of the players we have recruited from out-of-state have stuck around or made an impact. That isn't good enough and it needs to change. Have we had all-time greats in that span? Absolutely! But the other half of those recruits are misses by our coaches.

Chase Benson
Michael Jobman
Jake Sessions
Derek Marks
Balue Chapman
Kyle Finch
Jacob Hadley

It isn't like the Griz didn't want those Montana players. If people want to tell me I'm a liar on this info, PM me and we will have a chat.

Of the 5 above, I'm assuming that Nagler is getting a 'full' scholarship and that MSU offered a 'full' scholarship as well. However, of the 4 remaining recruits does any know if;
MSU offered Trace after he committed to the Griz. Trace stayed put. MSU offered Rosling a partial like the Griz. Trase and Jace were PWO's and remained that throughout the process. However, on all these recuits, Bradshaw was the only one that wasn't a known Griz fan. And also, these five kids are very good football players that should succeed in Missoula. I have the same feelings on our Montana kids.
Then specific to the topic thread...."OWN THE STATE" when it comes to competing for MT scholarship players;

Could the PWO players end up being very high impact players......sure (i.e. Brad Daly, Caleb Schreibies)....but what we know today, logic and the numbers show that we 'OWN THE STATE" this year. I think credit goes to;
Coach Choate
Coach Ash
Perhaps the reason the team in Bozeman signed so many players from Montana is that the coaching staff's deep roots in Frontier Conference football made it the primary place they were able to go.
Are you serious with this post? Look at how many of the guys we signed from MT were also offered schollys by the Griz.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:47 am

Its kinda funny that we (Cats vs. Griz fans) have this debate every single year. As some people realize, you truly have no idea who WON the in state recruiting battle until a couple years from now.

Safe to say though, THAT ON PAPER- Last year the Griz definitely won, this year the Cats definitely won. IMO, this is not even close to debatable.

I am a HUGE fan of the Bobcats MT recruits this year, great class. Plus, we still don't even know who the walk-ons are going to be, and they always turn out to be the best players, haha.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Bobcat Jim
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Jim » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:52 am

mcg wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Chase Benson
Michael Jobman
Jake Sessions
Derek Marks
Balue Chapman
Kyle Finch
Jacob Hadley

Coach Choate
Coach Ash
Or perhaps the 10 young men that committed to the Cats wanted to go to the biggest and best university in the state to get the best education.

catsack
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catsack » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:03 am

mslacatfan wrote:Its kinda funny that we (Cats vs. Griz fans) have this debate every single year. As some people realize, you truly have no idea who WON the in state recruiting battle until a couple years from now.

Safe to say though, THAT ON PAPER- Last year the Griz definitely won, this year the Cats definitely won. IMO, this is not even close to debatable.

I am a HUGE fan of the Bobcats MT recruits this year, great class. Plus, we still don't even know who the walk-ons are going to be, and they always turn out to be the best players, haha.
Since Ash took over the amount of scholarships Mt kids get has skyrocketed . The odds of preferred walkons becoming superstars has went way down. Ten years ago this same class would have have gotten at least half of the money they got this year.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:05 am

catsack wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:Its kinda funny that we (Cats vs. Griz fans) have this debate every single year. As some people realize, you truly have no idea who WON the in state recruiting battle until a couple years from now.

Since Ash took over the amount of scholarships Mt kids get has skyrocketed . The odds of preferred walkons becoming superstars has went way down. Ten years ago this same class would have have gotten at least half of the money they got this year.
Last year we allotted about 3.5 scholarships to 6 Montana kids. The other five were PWOs. Griz fans need to start providing some hard stats when they make these arguments. You guys are losing that battle daily. If the kid deserves a scholarship, he deserves a scholarship. Do we have to go over the "Griz and Cats gave out comparable offers to Montana kids this year" again? 10 years ago, this same class would have gotten the same amount of money....see I can say things that I can't prove too.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

catsack
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catsack » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:25 am

VimSince03 wrote:
catsack wrote:

Last year we allotted about 3.5 scholarships to 6 Montana kids. The other five were PWOs. Griz fans need to start providing some hard stats when they make these arguments. You guys are losing that battle daily. If the kid deserves a scholarship, he deserves a scholarship. Do we have to go over the "Griz and Cats gave out comparable offers to Montana kids this year" again? 10 years ago, this same class would have gotten the same amount of money....see I can say things that I can't prove too.
Ash started the trend of offering more to Mt kids, which has now forced UM to offer more money! So why didn't Logan Jones get any money last year? I have no problem with Mt kids getting money . And no they wouldn't have Kane just relax !

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:38 am

With all the discussion I had to cruise everybody's forum in the BSC this am.

I found the defending of BS (Bob Stitt) interesting. So here is a quote from MUs site by EG.(There are definitely some good posters over there, but a tremendous amount of BS)

I did not see this exact quote in this conversation. Apologize if I missed it.

Press Conference Quotes
Postby EverettGriz » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:27 pm

The quote of the entire day, when Stitt was asked about some Montana kids that didn't sign:

"We got outbid on a few kids. But we do not think a couple thousand dollars is worth giving up the chance to run through that tunnel. Some kids took the money; others took the opportunity to be the best". :thumb:

"We got some guys we probably should not have based upon what we could offer. But kids want to play here".

"We want Montana football back on top, but we also want our alumni to be proud of how we do it. We got character kids who will do it the right way".
Booze is the duct tape of life.

My understanding is a good number of our MT kids had offers in the ball park of what we offered here.

Sounds like BS propaganda to me. I would sure take it personal if I were a MSU recruit. (Or is it a sTitt twist! :shock: T**ty twister if you will.)

My point. BS has to lie to cover the fact that good kids want a good education at the Land Grant Institution for the State of Montana and they want to play football for this MSU staff.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:41 am

catsack wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
catsack wrote:

Ash started the trend of offering more to Mt kids, which has now forced UM to offer more money! So why didn't Logan Jones get any money last year? I have no problem with Mt kids getting money . And no they wouldn't have Kane just relax !

Don"t know about Logan Jones, except he's a quality kid.
Some kids do have other scholarships that do not count against the 63. An example would be a Knights of Columbus free throw champion with qualifying grades in the past.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:05 am

Now remember a partial scholarship can be any amount that isn't a full-ride. Could be 75% or 25%.

Tre'Von Strong (Partial) - started as a true freshman and had to take his lumps his rookie season; a whole ton of upside with Tre'von because of his length; held a PWO offer from the griz
Brayden Konkol (Partial) - really should've been a full-ride kid; him, Mitch Brott, Logan Jones, and Marcus Ferriter deserved to be in the conversation for "Best Players in the State" last year with the Griz kids; held a scholarship offer from the Griz
Walker Cozzie (Partial) - has a chance to be a special teams contributor his redshirt freshman season in 2016
Byron Rollins (Partial) - he also received a full academic scholarship from MSU and is going on a two year mission
Mitch Brott (Partial) - Griz offered the same; he wanted to play alongside his brother; has a good shot at being our starting left tackle next year; will be an All-Big Sky offensive lineman
Kash Perry (Partial) - 4.0 student and McEndoo saw something in the giant kid; he has already developed better than expected; no one said he had a shot at even being an NAIA player; if Perry ever contributes, I will have a giant smile on my face
Logan Jones (PWO) - Bargain! Was a Honorable Mention All-Big Sky special teams player his true freshman season; held a PWO from the Griz
Josh Hill (PWO) - AA Defensive Player of the year; another bargain; held a PWO from the Griz as well
Marcus Ferriter (PWO) - another player that was good enough to be in the conversation for top talent; has looked good so far for the Cats; held a PWO from the Griz
Bryan Wilkes (PWO) - will be thrown into the center competition this spring
Brady McChesney (PWO) - with the QBs we are bringing in, it will be an uphill battle for Brady to make the team in my opinion

About 3-3.5 scholarships out of 11 Montana kids

Grant Collins (Full Ride) - the second best player in the State that year
Connor Sullivan (Full Ride) - played as a redshirt freshman
Tucker Yates (Full Ride) - along with Grant, started some games for our defense in 2015
Treven Thompson (Partial) - lost kicking battle to Luke Daly; now will be in kicking competition in Missoula
Austin Oldenburger (Partial) - retired due to injury
Noah James (PWO)
Wilson Brott (PWO)
Koni Dole (PWO)
Hunter Mahlum (PWO)
John DiAgistino (PWO)

Total of about 4 Scholarships out of 10 Montana players on signing day.

Gunnar Brekke (Full Ride) - Gatorade player of the year
Devin Jeffries (Full Ride) - AA Defensive Player of the year
Dylan Mahoney (Full Ride) - our starting right tackle as a sophomore last year for almost every game
Luke Daly (Full Ride) - an All-Big Sky kicker
Quinn McQueary (Full Ride) - if he would've held his horses, probably would've been our starting QB as a junior this year; he was definitely good enough as an athlete
Cody Vitt (Partial) - was beat out by more running backs in the spring of 2014 and did not come back to team in the fall
Jacob Stanton (Partial) - retired due to injury last year
Bo Hughes (Partial) - transferred to Montana Western after spring of 2014
Trevan Timmer (Partial) - had to retire due to injuries suffered during his freshman season; very good player out of high school
Ben Folsom (Partial) - went on a two year mission and we may now be moving him to safety next year; good athlete
Tanner Roderick (Full-Transfer) - scholarship money may have been taken away from Tanner; something I will never know and that is okay; Roderick's journey has been talked about enough on here; he still made big plays for the Cats

About 8.5 scholarships to 11 Montana kids on signing day. This class had the most attrition out of scholarship players and I thought we over scholarshipped on Montana players this year. Bo Hughes, Jacob Stanton, and Cody Vitt probably should have been PWOs. 5 of these kids are a big contributors to our team and the other 6 have left (graduated; injury; competition). Also three fall walk-ons out of this class (Mac Bignell, Caleb Gillis, and Matt Brownlow) are still on team and making contributions, especially Mac and Caleb.

Austin Barth (Full) - will be our starting Tight End in 2016
Vince DiGillonardo (Partial) - got beat out in the secondary and transferred to Carroll
Jackson Mahlum (PWO)
Cody Dopps (PWO)
Dillon Fraley (PWO)
Luke Halliburton (PWO)

Total of 1.5 scholarships out of 6 Montana kids

List class also included Chad Newell (Fall Walk-On) and he is arguably our biggest contributor going into his senior season. Other than that, we lost out on some scholarship players that committed to the Griz (Caleb Kidder, Bo Harris, Brady Gustafson, Ben Weyer, Clint LaRowe, and Ryan Burke). Zach Peevey walked-on to the Griz.

Do you guys want me to keep going on this stupid argument. I'll say it before and I'll say it again, we offered plenty of out-of-state talent each year under Ash and we had a poor attrition rate with those scholarshipped kids making contributions to the Cats throughout their career. The Montana kids have not hurt our chances of success. If anything, they have been big reasons for our success over the past 10 years and I hope we keep offering scholarships to Montana kids. It isn't like these scholarships are being wasted on non-talented players in-state. We need to do better at getting the "The Right Cats" from out-of-state and I hope Choate & Co. can accomplish that. Yup I'm already using "TRC" in my everyday conversation.
Last edited by VimSince03 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:10 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Yeah, we know the usual suspects are going to have great classes -- James Madison, North Dakota State, Jacksonville State, Harvard, Montana, you name it.
Jacksonville State and Harvard are usual suspects?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_Crimson_football

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksonvi ... s_football

I read someplace Harvard is the eighth winningest team in all of college football and continues to excel and Jacksonville State has been building for years a great program. Their stadium rivals and in many aspects is better than Georgia Southern or Appalachian States. Both schools, although a bit different academically, are excellent football schools at our level and it's not long until Jacksonville State moves up.
Yeah, I agree, but are they among the usual suspects that bring in top recruiting classes annually?
I'd tend to view both schools as among the very elite of FCS football and recruiting does have the largest impact on the team's success. It's always surprised me that the stadiums the Ivy League teams play in aren't included in the ratings as premier venues. Crowe does an absolutely outstanding job picking up transfers from SEC teams. Can't remember the 1000 yard rusher from Georgia who transferred, had a decent FCS career and is still in the NFL. I'd like to see Crowe share some of the defensive linemen with MSU and I think this new staff will be more than willing to take a look at some of the kids the previous staff didn't bother returning calls to for whatever reason. Guess they had a hard time previously with four and five star kids out of high school because it does take a pretty good coach to sublimate your ego and let the pure athleticism of a kid take over. Like Minter was able to do. Anyway, the point being I'd definitely include those two schools as consistently good recruiting classes based solely upon their year to year success.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:26 am

Sounds like we got TheRightCoach

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:26 am

KittieKop wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:Asked Choate about Stitt's comments. His comments are in this story.

Choate's first recruiting class flush with in-state products
http://skylinesportsmt.com/choates-firs ... -products/
Choate says he doesn't care about UM? Its not a competition, us against them? He obviously doesn't "get it". :coffee:
If you believe that is the case, I've got a bridge to sell you. I think Coach Choate might be trolling in real life. :mrgreen:

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:01 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:Sounds like we got TheRightCoach
TRC

Own the State
step 1 win the recruiting battle in-state, check
step 2 beat the griz - come on coach, deliver in Nov

Beat the Sky
step 1 Spring Ball excellence, find TRC in each position, create ONE team
step 2 bring in TRC to fill each hole exposed in spring ball, fiercely compete in the D'Agostino
step 3 one week at a time, deliver wins, 2016 Big Sky we will see more parity in teams than we've seen in a looooooong time
step 4 get better all season long and PEAK in Nov/Dec

the way I see it anyway

first step complete

a ways to go

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:11 pm

exppi wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:Asked Choate about Stitt's comments. His comments are in this story.

Choate's first recruiting class flush with in-state products
http://skylinesportsmt.com/choates-firs ... -products/
Choate says he doesn't care about UM? Its not a competition, us against them? He obviously doesn't "get it". :coffee:
If you believe that is the case, I've got a bridge to sell you. I think Coach Choate might be trolling in real life. :mrgreen:
I like drinking a lot of coffee.....

Just trying to stir the pot. Was ironic the slam on Ash was he didn't "get" the intensity of the rivalry (the "its just another game" comment), and one of Choate's first comments on his first recruiting classes was, "Eh, we don't really care about those guys. Its not like we're in competition with them." I get it....just trying to be contrary. :coffee: More coffee.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

DriftCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriftCat » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:30 pm

My favorite quote of the article:

“I’m not worried about the University of Montana,” Choate said.

As in, not worried about them and not in competition with them because they won't compete with MSU going forward. The tide has turned and it is becoming more and more evident. Just look at the Gazette article about UM's recruiting class and the comments from griz fans up in arms about the lack of in-state recruits. "We are Montana" will have to be changed to "We are a small % of Montana"......you better believe Choate knows what this rivalry means......he has already said it in his initial press conference.

GO CATS, FTG!

F.K.A. - MM7CAT

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:52 pm

catsack wrote:You can use academic scholarships but there are certain rules , to how they are recruited to not count against athletics. You gotta be real careful on how you recruit them.
:goodpost:

Baseball is probably the best example of this that I can think of right now. When Polk was at Mississippi State, he continually complained about the Georgia Hope Scholarship not counting against the NCAA allowable 7 baseball scholarships. In fact, Florida questioned the NCAA when Spurrier was coaching in Gainsville and the NCAA ruled in Georgia's favor. We've used the Best and Brightest Scholarship to our favor and one ought to check out kids in Missoula like Daum, a 4.00 high school graduate. All the nonrevenue sports take advantage of this favorable aspect hence one of the reasons most nonrevenue athletes ordinarily have great classroom success and GPAs. I know few care to take the time to read the NCAA Rules but they're very clear, concise and to the point.

GetEm_Griz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by GetEm_Griz » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:27 pm

DriftCat wrote:My favorite quote of the article:

“I’m not worried about the University of Montana,” Choate said.

As in, not worried about them and not in competition with them because they won't compete with MSU going forward. The tide has turned and it is becoming more and more evident. Just look at the Gazette article about UM's recruiting class and the comments from griz fans up in arms about the lack of in-state recruits. "We are Montana" will have to be changed to "We are a small % of Montana"......you better believe Choate knows what this rivalry means......he has already said it in his initial press conference.

GO CATS, FTG!
LMAO Griz fans who are complaining about "not having enough in-state players" don't get it. The Griz and the Cats cannot compete on a national level without quality out of state recruits. Personally, I couldn't care less if we have 5 or 20 players on the roster from Montana. Yes, it''s great having local boys on the team but If you can land an out-of-state player who's better than a Montana kid, I want that out-of-state player on my team.