OWN THE STATE

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

OWN THE STATE

Post by wbtfg » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:31 am

One thing I really love about this class is the commitment to getting the best players in the state of Montana. While I welcome the recruits from Cali, Texas, Washington, etc., history for MSU and UM tells us that some of the all-time greatest players in school history who move on to the NFL are homegrown. Guys like Dane Fletcher, Mike Person, Caleb Scheribes, Brad Daly, Jeff Hanson are just a few examples. And when I look across the divide, with the exceptions of Jimmy Wilson, and Trumaine Johnson most of the grizzlies in the NFL are also Montana kids (Mariani, Anderson, Carpenter, HIlliard, Bierman, Schillinger, etc.)

While I understand it's essential to recruit outside the state of Montana, history tells me that most of the big time superstars from either school are coming from the state of Montana, and I am ecstatic that Choate recognizes this and has made the commitment to #OWNTHESTATE when it comes to recruiting.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: OWN THE STATE

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:40 am

wbtfg wrote:One thing I really love about this class is the commitment to getting the best players in the state of Montana. While I welcome the recruits from Cali, Texas, Washington, etc., history for MSU and UM tells us that some of the all-time greatest players in school history who move on to the NFL are homegrown. Guys like Dane Fletcher, Mike Person, Caleb Scheribes, Brad Daly, Jeff Hanson are just a few examples. And when I look across the divide, with the exceptions of Jimmy Wilson, and Trumaine Johnson most of the grizzlies in the NFL are also Montana kids (Mariani, Anderson, Carpenter, HIlliard, Bierman, Schillinger, etc.)

While I understand it's essential to recruit outside the state of Montana, history tells me that most of the big time superstars from either school are coming from the state of Montana, and I am ecstatic that Choate recognizes this and has made the commitment to #OWNTHESTATE when it comes to recruiting.
I agree, it is important to families and fans and I'm glad he understands that.

If your left, you aren’t right.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:20 am

Seems some Griz fans now think they can't compete at the elite level without bringing in a lot of out of state guys. They point to NDSU, who doesn't have too many ND guys on the roster.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:23 am

CelticCat wrote:Seems some Griz fans now think they can't compete at the elite level without bringing in a lot of out of state guys. They point to NDSU, who doesn't have too many ND guys on the roster.

NDSU had 18 on the roster last year. Also, based off how Minnesotans attend NDSU (high percentage), Minnesota might as well be in-state for Fargo as well. Just another way to look at it. Carson Wentz was from Bismarck by the way.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:26 am

CelticCat wrote:Seems some Griz fans now think they can't compete at the elite level without bringing in a lot of out of state guys. They point to NDSU, who doesn't have too many ND guys on the roster.

They have a pretty valid point too.

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DaCats21 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:31 am

Montana High School Football >> ND high school football

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:33 am

Average Joe looking at tomorrows paper and watching the local news will notice. Lets see how bob spins it today and what Choate says tonight.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:37 am

bobcat99 wrote:

So we should just ignore the best players in Montana? I've said this before and I'll say it again. Montana recruiting has not been the problem for the Cats over the past 10 years. We have struggled to evaluate our out-of-state talent. I broke it down in two posts back in November. Our attrition rates in out-of-state talent over that span is about 50-60% meaning about half of the players we have recruited from out-of-state have stuck around or made an impact. That isn't good enough and it needs to change. Have we had all-time greats in that span? Absolutely! But the other half of those recruits are misses by our coaches.

And to add another point to what "Griz Fans" think, Stitt and Co. offered:

Chase Benson
Michael Jobman
Jake Sessions
Derek Marks
Balue Chapman
Kyle Finch
Jacob Hadley

It isn't like the Griz didn't want those Montana players. If people want to tell me I'm a liar on this info, PM me and we will have a chat.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:56 am

That's not what I said Vim.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:00 am

bobcat99 wrote:That's not what I said Vim.
You said the Griz have a valid point. I responded with what I think. I fully agree that you need quality out-of-state recruits. I also explained that MSU football has had a poor attrition wait with the total number of out-of-state recruits that make an impact on the team. It needs to change.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:25 am

VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

So we should just ignore the best players in Montana? I've said this before and I'll say it again. Montana recruiting has not been the problem for the Cats over the past 10 years. We have struggled to evaluate our out-of-state talent. I broke it down in two posts back in November. Our attrition rates in out-of-state talent over that span is about 50-60% meaning about half of the players we have recruited from out-of-state have stuck around or made an impact. That isn't good enough and it needs to change. Have we had all-time greats in that span? Absolutely! But the other half of those recruits are misses by our coaches.

Chase Benson
Michael Jobman
Jake Sessions
Derek Marks
Balue Chapman
Kyle Finch
Jacob Hadley

It isn't like the Griz didn't want those Montana players. If people want to tell me I'm a liar on this info, PM me and we will have a chat.
The griz list the following MT players as signed;

Jed Nagler...........Whitefish (only one on offense)

Trace Bradshaw.....Bozeman
Trase LeTexier......Jefferson
Cole Rosling.........Capital
Jace Lewis...........Townsend

Of the 5 above, I'm assuming that Nagler is getting a 'full' scholarship and that MSU offered a 'full' scholarship as well. However, of the 4 remaining recruits does any know if;
MSU made scholarship offers?
UM offers include scholarships?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:32 am

The MICKSTER wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Chase Benson
Michael Jobman
Jake Sessions
Derek Marks
Balue Chapman
Kyle Finch
Jacob Hadley

Of the 5 above, I'm assuming that Nagler is getting a 'full' scholarship and that MSU offered a 'full' scholarship as well. However, of the 4 remaining recruits does any know if;
MSU offered Trace after he committed to the Griz. Trace stayed put. MSU offered Rosling a partial like the Griz. Trase and Jace were PWO's and remained that throughout the process. However, on all these recuits, Bradshaw was the only one that wasn't a known Griz fan. And also, these five kids are very good football players that should succeed in Missoula. I have the same feelings on our Montana kids.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:34 am

trace, trase and jace? :shock:

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:42 am

VimSince03 wrote:
You said the Griz have a valid point. I responded with what I think. I fully agree that you need quality out-of-state recruits. I also explained that MSU football has had a poor attrition wait with the total number of out-of-state recruits that make an impact on the team. It needs to change.
Of course it helps to keep the top in state players. Always will. I tend to think that the majority of our impact players are most likely going to come out of state, so really, I'm agreeing with you. We need to do better out of state. It's rare to get dynamic sell position players from Montana, and we need those.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:44 am

bobcat99 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Of course it helps to keep the top in state players. Always will. I tend to think that the majority of our impact players are most likely going to come out of state, so really, I'm agreeing with you. We need to do better out of state. It's rare to get dynamic sell position players from Montana, and we need those.
You need to find the secondary players out-of-state and we have struggled in that area recently. I have high hopes for the young guys but attrition and coaching killed us in the secondary the last few years. Add that to the fact we lost great looking pass-rush defensive end and defensive tackle recruits over the last five years and look what you have...a struggling secondary.

The MICKSTER

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:13 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Chase Benson
Michael Jobman
Jake Sessions
Derek Marks
Balue Chapman
Kyle Finch
Jacob Hadley

MSU offered Trace after he committed to the Griz. Trace stayed put. MSU offered Rosling a partial like the Griz. Trase and Jace were PWO's and remained that throughout the process. However, on all these recuits, Bradshaw was the only one that wasn't a known Griz fan. And also, these five kids are very good football players that should succeed in Missoula. I have the same feelings on our Montana kids.
Then specific to the topic thread...."OWN THE STATE" when it comes to competing for MT scholarship players;

MSU 7....Benson, Jobman, Sessions, Marks, Chapman, Finch, Hadley
um 3.....Nagler, Bradshaw, Rosling

Could the PWO players end up being very high impact players......sure (i.e. Brad Daly, Caleb Schreibies)....but what we know today, logic and the numbers show that we 'OWN THE STATE" this year. I think credit goes to;
Coach Choate
MSU coaching staff, particularly Robertson, Bo, Kane, Armstrong
Coach Ash

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:20 pm

In addition, give a nod to the current griz staff who don't have much of a MT background and probably recruited where they felt most comfortable.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:21 pm

thefrank1 wrote:In addition, give a nod to the current griz staff who don't have much of a MT background and probably recruited where they felt most comfortable.
I'd rather just give them the finger...Mike Ferriter, Shann Schillinger, and Andrew Selle know the state just fine.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:25 pm

None of them are stitt. you understand my point.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

The MICKSTER

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:37 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
thefrank1 wrote:In addition, give a nod to the current griz staff who don't have much of a MT background and probably recruited where they felt most comfortable.
I'd rather just give them the finger...Mike Ferriter, Shann Schillinger, and Andrew Selle know the state just fine.
There is no doubt because the 'upper level' coaches on the dark pink staff have very little knowledge, familiarity, and background in this state, that contributed to the CATS being able to 'OWN THE STATE" this year. Do I care why we "OWN THE STATE"..........NOPE, just that we do.