Signing Day 2016

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Signing Day 2016

Post by Camo_Cat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:08 pm

ilovethecats wrote:so, who is the best of this class in your opinion? obviously it's all a crap shoot, but is there a guy that really stands out, and us getting him is maybe even surprising?
IMHO, if he stays healthy, it's Chase Benson. I truly see him falling in line at the backer position with the same likes as a Bobby Daly or Alex Singleton. Kid's a beast.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:17 pm

grizgirl wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:so, who is the best of this class in your opinion? obviously it's all a crap shoot, but is there a guy that really stands out, and us getting him is maybe even surprising?
Excluding transfers, I believe Anthony Pegues is the gem of this class.
He would be my choice as well! Looks like a STUD.
I think you guys won the in-state and transfer battles, but we won the out-of-state battle. Of all our recruits we have 43% with star ratings and you have 40%, so pretty even there. I call it a tie. Lets all shake hands and do it again next year! :)
Deal :)

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:22 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:Now that Kevin has officially signed, other known information is that Dawonya Tucker (Prairie View A&M), Darrius Mosley (Trinity CC - improve grades), and Marcus Simpson (had late interest from Incarnate Word and NAU; was not on official signing day list given to the media) are not going to sing today. Marcus has yet to appear on those two teams sites as a player to be signed. Maybe Marcus is just taking a longer time to decide. Other than the two known PWOs (QB Kamden Brown and OL Connor Floden), any new commits would be a surprise to us.
Simpson was not on the official list and from our conversations throughout this process, I do not think he was going to be a qualifier either.
What makes a qualifier vs. non-qualifier? And why do people say the reason they didn't go D1 and instead went 1-AA or D2 is because they didn't have good enough grades to get into a D1 school? I guess I never understood this or how it works, because the grading and passing grades at a NAIA school are just as tough maybe even tougher than say Bozeman or Missoula. It's always been a question of mine and I figured it was time I knew why people always referred to players as qualifiers vs. non-qualifiers.

If your left, you aren’t right.

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DaCats21 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:Now that Kevin has officially signed, other known information is that Dawonya Tucker (Prairie View A&M), Darrius Mosley (Trinity CC - improve grades), and Marcus Simpson (had late interest from Incarnate Word and NAU; was not on official signing day list given to the media) are not going to sing today. Marcus has yet to appear on those two teams sites as a player to be signed. Maybe Marcus is just taking a longer time to decide. Other than the two known PWOs (QB Kamden Brown and OL Connor Floden), any new commits would be a surprise to us.
Simpson was not on the official list and from our conversations throughout this process, I do not think he was going to be a qualifier either.
What makes a qualifier vs. non-qualifier? And why do people say the reason they didn't go D1 and instead went 1-AA or D2 is because they didn't have good enough grades to get into a D1 school? I guess I never understood this or how it works, because the grading and passing grades at a NAIA school are just as tough maybe even tougher than say Bozeman or Missoula. It's always been a question of mine and I figured it was time I knew why people always referred to players as qualifiers vs. non-qualifiers.
A non qualifier would go to a JUCO, not a lower division NCAA or NAIA

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:28 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
A "non-qualifier" is a kid who simply won't make grades or a passing SAT/ACT score. Doesn't matter what level. This is what junior college and community colleges are meant for. To give the kids a chance to improve those marks and then sign with a school. If I'm wrong on this, someone please correct me by the way.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:29 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
IMHO, if he stays healthy, it's Chase Benson. I truly see him falling in line at the backer position with the same likes as a Bobby Daly or Alex Singleton. Kid's a beast.
Chase will be a defensive lineman. Very raw but his future is on the defensive line.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:45 pm

DaCats21 wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Then why would Colter on the previous page say that he isn't almost positive that Davis kid was a non-qualifier? He went on to say that when interest falls off like it did for him, going from a Pac 12 school to a Dixie State, it's almost always grades? That doesn't make sense to me, because I'm sure college at Dixie State school is just as difficult as a D1 school.

If your left, you aren’t right.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
DaCats21 wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Then why would Colter on the previous page say that he isn't almost positive that Davis kid was a non-qualifier? He went on to say that when interest falls off like it did for him, going from a Pac 12 school to a Dixie State, it's almost always grades? That doesn't make sense to me, because I'm sure college at Dixie State school is just as difficult as a D1 school.
Meaning they are willing to take a risk on signing him and seeing what happens by the end of spring. We took a risk with a kid named Eric Prevost, a freaky athletic DE/OLB from California, a few years ago and we got burned by it. He never could get a qualifying score.

Grandmaster Cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Grandmaster Cat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:15 pm

So, no surprises today? I really like the class, but was hoping someone might fall to us. Especially if that someone was a DT or DB. Guess that could still happen though in the coming months, and sounds like Coach Choate might be keeping a few scholarships open...

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:19 pm

Grandmaster Cat wrote:So, no surprises today? I really like the class, but was hoping someone might fall to us. Especially if that someone was a DT or DB. Guess that could still happen though in the coming months, and sounds like Coach Choate might be keeping a few scholarships open...
Taking a look at our current roster, we may have 6-7 more scholarships to hand out. These will not be the only new Bobcats heading into next year. Can almost guarantee that.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:27 pm

If you haven't read the recruiting capsules on http://skylinesportsmt.com/ you are missing great stuff. Coach Choate eludes to the position of some of the signees and other tidbits I wasn't aware of (sneak peak: Hadley viewed more of an ATH might see time on defense?? Miller recruited Kassis hard while still at Boise St?? Good Stuff)

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:34 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Benson isn't a linebacker. He'll play DE possibly DT. He's already 6-5, 250+

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:51 pm

Press conference coming up at 3. http://msubobcats.com/watch/?Live=272

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:04 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Excluding transfers, I believe Anthony Pegues is the gem of this class.
Could be. I'm betting Kassis when it's all said and done.

*and Chapman on D.
Including transfers I'd bet on Naijiel Hale, but hope for Bruggman because if he's the 'best of this class' then that means we have a great QB and that is always a good thing.

Excluding transfers I'd bet on Chapman, but hope for Murray for the same reason.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:05 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Press conference coming up at 3. http://msubobcats.com/watch/?Live=272
my audio is terrible. I can make out about half of what he's saying.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:06 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:Press conference coming up at 3. http://msubobcats.com/watch/?Live=272
my audio is terrible. I can make out about half of what he's saying.
Mine too, sounds like somebody is sitting on the microphone, rather than having it where it's supposed to be. Man that's irritating!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:11 pm

Overall, a pretty good class. Good potential.

Really good for a transition period. Will be nice to see how Choate does with a full year to recruit. Next years class will be much better IMO.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:13 pm

Yeah they ****ed up on the audio. Had all day to figure this out. Our media team has had quite a day today.
Overall, a pretty good class. Good potential.

Really good for a transition period. Will be nice to see how Choate does with a full year to recruit. Next years class will be much better IMO.
Sat back and said the same thing today. The fact that we got some of these guys during a coaching transition is a win in itself.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:18 pm

I mean, not to bring up the Griz, but look at them as an example. Stitt's first class was alright. His class this year appears to be great. Recruiting takes time.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:36 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:So players who haven't committed anywhere yet but were on our radar are

Vincent Heard DB/WR From Harbor City, CA (offers from MSU, Northern Colorado, Colorado State, UNLV and an unofficial visit to Arizona)
Kainoa Fuiava DT from Downey, CA (offers from Sac State, Western Oregon, Colorado Mesa, Adams State, looks like he picked up a late offer from BYU, not sure if MSU has offered or not but coaches have definitely visited him)
Andrew Davis 3 * DB from Upland, CA (Said he will choose between MSU, Dixie State and UCLA. Picked up a late offer from Colorado Mesa)
Chris Hunter WR/OLB/DE from Lakewood, WA (Said he will choose between MSU, South Alabama, Idaho State, UTEP and Idaho, guessing it is between UTEP and Idaho)
Edward Vander 3* RB/WR from Paramount, CA (Only offer I see on his twitter is from MSU, not sure if that is still there, had interest from Arizona State, Nevada and New Mexico state but I don't believe any offers)
Tyler Hawkins OLB/DE from Palm Springs, CA (Offers from MSU, Dixie State, Sac State, Idaho State, San Diego and San Jose State, with interest from San Diego State, Said he would sign @ 2pm local time (3pm Mountain time)

There could be many more, these were just names I made note of a few weeks back in the recruiting process and have not seen anything on them committing as of yet. Colter & Vim and a lot more in tune than I am so they may know some of these have dropped off the radar.
Your guess is as good as mine! Looks like Tyler Hawkins will sign with Sac State. Fuiava just got a walk-on offer at BYU this morning and never got an offer from MSU. Chris Hunter will most likely sign with UTEP. Andrew Davis might not have an offer from us anymore. Vincent Heard hols an offer from MSU as of Jan. 26 and he hasn't signed anywhere yet. No clue on Edward Vander.
Chris Hunter signed with Idaho