New AD Candidates

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: New AD Candidates

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:32 pm

grizgirl wrote:
3-7-77 wrote:Sorry if this has been beat to death many times in the past couple months, just my observations. Waded did to Cat football what Royce did to Griz football, only subtlety. How does she get rid of one of the winningest coaches in MSU history AND do what many MSU alums wanted, namely get rid of Fields. Seems hacking off the non-performing aspect(the defensive coaching and philosophy) would have been much more productive, effective, and timely. It hasn't been that long ago that the Cat D was a force to deal with. Maybe Ash was told to get rid of the D coaches, but refused due to loyalty(my speculation)prompting Fields to can him(in hopes of saving his own job). We'll probably never know.
Whomever is the next AD, he/she will have no connection with MSU. Waded seems to be aiming much higher, and the Cats of the last 30 years will not suffice.
After hiring Choate, I'm wondering why Fields was fired. That's probably going to turn into the best move he ever made.

The best way to tell if you have a bad coach is if your main rival likes him. We loved, and I mean loved, Rob Ash! I thought we'd lose bad in 2011 and 2013. Also thought we'd get crushed in 2012 and we did lose, but not by a lot. Your team just didn't look ready at all in those games and you have to think he's at least part of the reason. The two nicest things I can say about Ash is 1) he was a first class act and gentleman and 2) he did a lot better than I thought he would. When you hired him I honestly didn't think he'd last 3 years. Drake? Seriously?

I'm scared to death of Choate. Being a top assistant under one of the best coaches in the country gives him instant credibility and that's going to rub off on your players. You went from hiring a coach from non-scholarship Drake (equivalent of Division 3) to hiring a top assistant off one of the best staffs in the nation. That's a huge swing.
Thanks for the compliments on Choate. I believe Fields being fired has more to do with other aspects of the AD position, not just football. Cruzado knows the potential growth of MSU and she wants an AD to push for that growth with the possibility of adding more athletic programs in the future or more fundraising and development for the current programs. She wants a different mindset than that of Fields. Cruzado's approach is aggressive but she wants to grow this thing with the right people in place. This all my opinion by the way.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: New AD Candidates

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:35 pm

4thecats wrote:
SonomaCat wrote:If we are making a change from our past way of doing things, I hope we bring in a superstar from the outside (maybe working as an assistant AD in a Big 5 conference) who can bring in a whole new set of ideas, connections, and enthusiasm to really give the whole athletic program a huge boost. So I hope that nobody on here has ever heard of whoever we hire.

YES YES YES!

NEW BEGINNING, NEW BLOOD.. SEE WHAT HAPPENED WHEN WE BROUGHT IN AN OUTSIDER FOR PRESIDENT
I'm not trying to be contradictory, but wasn't Peter Fields an assistant AD in a Big 5 conference (Missouri, Big 12) when we hired him? Or am I mistaken?

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

New AD Candidates

Post by imacat » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:59 pm

Thanks for the compliments on Choate. I believe Fields being fired has more to do with other aspects of the AD position, not just football. Cruzado knows the potential growth of MSU and she wants an AD to push for that growth with the possibility of adding more athletic programs in the future or more fundraising and development for the current programs. She wants a different mindset than that of Fields. Cruzado's approach is aggressive but she wants to grow this thing with the right people in place. This all my opinion by the way.[/quote]

Agree. IMO Peter Fields did the job he was hired to do very well ... Bring fiscal discipline to the athletic department. I also think he has done a good job hiring coaches. Some may not have panned out but that does not mean they were not good choices at the time of the hire.

President Cruzado has a vision of where she wants MSU to go and she probably does not see Peter Fields as someone who possesses the skill sets to achieve that vision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk