New AD Candidates

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TrueCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: New AD Candidates

Post by TrueCat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:20 am

Definitely well liked.

Question: How much different is being an AD at NAIA vs. D1? Just curious

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:27 am

Parker has been at Rocky for a couple of years.
http://billingsgazette.com/sports/colle ... 98ec6.html

He was previously AD at Carroll for several years.
Questions, is the AD position at Rocky more lucrative than at Carroll? Did he get canned from Carroll or did he resign?

I remember the name Bruce Parker around MSU athletics but nothing specific.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

BozCatFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BozCatFan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:58 am

There are a lot of interesting thoughts on here and after reading some other opinions I have another name that could be a potential...although I am changing my tune on my initial reaction that Ash would be good. I think we need someone with more personality.

Dave Gantt

ImagineSanta
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ImagineSanta » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:07 am

bobcatbeliever wrote:Dave Gannt. All he did was win and win and win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This has my vote.

I think you don't get it. Sleeping in until 6 won't get many people very far in life, especially if they want to play on Sunday.
-Cat Grad

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:32 am

Rich K wrote:Parker has been at Rocky for a couple of years.

Questions, is the AD position at Rocky more lucrative than at Carroll? Did he get canned from Carroll or did he resign?

I would be curious why the departure from Carrol (the articles suggest family and hometown). Carrol is now on their SECOND AD since Parker left.

I also did not know that former Bobcat receiver and assistant coach Bobby Beers held the AD position at Rocky before Parker came in.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:45 am

BozCatFan wrote:There are a lot of interesting thoughts on here and after reading some other opinions I have another name that could be a potential...although I am changing my tune on my initial reaction that Ash would be good. I think we need someone with more personality.

Dave Gantt
I get that a lot of people really liked Ash, and would love to see him come back into the Bobcat family again, and I'm not necessarily saying that he wouldn't make a good AD. But I think people are out of their mind to think that he'd be a legitimate candidate for the job, or that he'd even be interested in it. For one thing, it would be incredibly awkward for both Ash and Choate, for him to be the boss of the guy who was hired to replace him. Secondly, Ash apparently felt pretty blindsided about his firing, and I'm sure he still harbors some lingering bitterness towards MSU's administration, despite his public proclamations of support for MSU. If you believed that you were fired unjustly, would you be eager to go back to work for that same employer, even if your previous immediate manager/supervisor (Fields) will also soon be gone? Finally, he's made it pretty clear that he'd like to keep coaching. It now looks like he won't land a job for the upcoming season, but I'd bet that he'll be looking for a coaching position again for 2017. In the meantime, apparently he's indicated interest in going on the speaking circuit. Not once, have I heard him proclaim any interest in getting into athletic administration.

BobcatOninetails

Post by BobcatOninetails » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:46 am

The Butcher wrote:

I would be curious why the departure from Carrol (the articles suggest family and hometown). Carrol is now on their SECOND AD since Parker left.

I also did not know that former Bobcat receiver and assistant coach Bobby Beers held the AD position at Rocky before Parker came in.
I'm pretty sure Bruce is a Billings guy. He did apply for the job at MSU and was a finalist when Fields was hired. He left after that for Carroll. Don't know if it was sour grapes or opportunity or both. Bruce was, like Josh is now, great at developing relationships for MSU. They are both very intelligent, articulate and play the politics that the position requires. Whether Josh has the rest of the skills remains to be seen but I for one would not underestimate him on his age. He has to be at least 40 and his experience in the MSU system is almost unmatched. It's a ******, unappreciated job where you hardly can do anything right and that's why I wouldn't wish that on Josh. Played more than one round of golf with him, had him in my office dozens of times. If he applies, I'm behind him.

"Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time." - Arnold H. Glasgow

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:47 am

If we are making a change from our past way of doing things, I hope we bring in a superstar from the outside (maybe working as an assistant AD in a Big 5 conference) who can bring in a whole new set of ideas, connections, and enthusiasm to really give the whole athletic program a huge boost. So I hope that nobody on here has ever heard of whoever we hire.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:48 am

The Butcher wrote:

Isn't Parker originally from Billings? Maybe it's as simple, as him just wanting to get back to his hometown? I'm guessing that there isn't a huge difference in compensation between Carroll and Rocky, since they'r both private, religious affiliated schools, participating at the same level of college athletics.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:50 am

The Butcher wrote:

Beers played for the Cats? For some reason, I was thinking that he'd played for the Griz. What years was he at MSU?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:00 am

John K wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

Beers played for the Cats? For some reason, I was thinking that he'd played for the Griz. What years was he at MSU?

A Butte native, Beers grew up on a working cattle ranch in Wise River, Mont., and was an all-conference wide receiver at Missoula Hellgate. He went to play four years at Western Montana College (now Montana Western) and received all-conference and All-America recognition as a receiver for the Bulldogs.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:11 am

wbtfg wrote:
John K wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

A Butte native, Beers grew up on a working cattle ranch in Wise River, Mont., and was an all-conference wide receiver at Missoula Hellgate. He went to play four years at Western Montana College (now Montana Western) and received all-conference and All-America recognition as a receiver for the Bulldogs.
Thanks for the clarification.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:38 am

SonomaCat wrote:If we are making a change from our past way of doing things, I hope we bring in a superstar from the outside (maybe working as an assistant AD in a Big 5 conference) who can bring in a whole new set of ideas, connections, and enthusiasm to really give the whole athletic program a huge boost. So I hope that nobody on here has ever heard of whoever we hire.
THIS

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:40 am

JDoub wrote:
SonomaCat wrote:If we are making a change from our past way of doing things, I hope we bring in a superstar from the outside (maybe working as an assistant AD in a Big 5 conference) who can bring in a whole new set of ideas, connections, and enthusiasm to really give the whole athletic program a huge boost. So I hope that nobody on here has ever heard of whoever we hire.
THIS
This is the boat I'm in as well. Calli Sanders is the only person with MSU ties that I can think of off the top of my head who fits this bill. Aside from her, I'd expect our new AD to be a brand new name.

Cat_gld

Post by Cat_gld » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:35 am

catsrback76 wrote:Bruce Parker and it wouldn't be close!
I expect the program to move forward. Why would the administration revive the "good ol boy' netwark of the '90s when not much of anything good happened. I remember him being not much more than Lindeman's minion. I can't believe there isn't somebody better that's willing to take the job at MSU. I have full confidence in Dr Cruzado finding someone better than Parker. He can stay where he is at!

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:46 am

Cat_gld wrote:
I expect the program to move forward. Why would the administration revive the "good ol boy' netwark of the '90s when not much of anything good happened. I remember him being not much more than Lindeman's minion. I can't believe there isn't somebody better that's willing to take the job at MSU. I have full confidence in Dr Cruzado finding someone better than Parker. He can stay where he is at!
I've never quite understood the whole "get a MT guy", or someone that has ties to the program. Like they are the only one that will see success. I want to see that guy the best man for the job, and if that's a MT guy then good. But if its not, then get the other guy. Look at Michigan. They are obsessed with getting a Michigan man. They've wanted Les Miles for a long time and while he's a great coach, a large part of it is he's a Michigan man. Now they have Harbaugh, and he looks to be a great hire, but they wanted him mostly because he was a "Michigan Man". Rich Rod never really took hold there. But he wasn't a Michigan Man. I don't want our program obsessed with a "MT man".

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:16 pm

lutecat wrote:
Cat_gld wrote:
I've never quite understood the whole "get a MT guy", or someone that has ties to the program. Like they are the only one that will see success. I want to see that guy the best man for the job, and if that's a MT guy then good. But if its not, then get the other guy. Look at Michigan. They are obsessed with getting a Michigan man. They've wanted Les Miles for a long time and while he's a great coach, a large part of it is he's a Michigan man. Now they have Harbaugh, and he looks to be a great hire, but they wanted him mostly because he was a "Michigan Man". Rich Rod never really took hold there. But he wasn't a Michigan Man. I don't want our program obsessed with a "MT man".
I see what you're saying, but the same goes for dismissing a good candidate simply because he has ties to the school or state. I don't think it's a "good ol boy" network just because names pop up of candidates with ties to the school. so while it would be stupid for us to hire parker just because he is from montana and worked for msu....it would be equally as stupid to not even consider him for those same reasons.

the man did incredible work at carrol and now at rocky. i'm not sure he'd be perfect for this job or not, but he has a lot more to his resume then, "I used to work for Montana State".

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:34 pm

lutecat wrote:I've never quite understood the whole "get a MT guy", or someone that has ties to the program. Like they are the only one that will see success. I want to see that guy the best man for the job, and if that's a MT guy then good. But if its not, then get the other guy. Look at Michigan. They are obsessed with getting a Michigan man. They've wanted Les Miles for a long time and while he's a great coach, a large part of it is he's a Michigan man. Now they have Harbaugh, and he looks to be a great hire, but they wanted him mostly because he was a "Michigan Man". Rich Rod never really took hold there. But he wasn't a Michigan Man. I don't want our program obsessed with a "MT man".
I think it's just human nature - we're comfortable with things we already know and often times have a difficult time accepting change or new ways of doing things at first. However, change is often the right option and it certainly appears that this is the direction President Cruzado wants to go. I also expect the new AD to come from the outside and bring with himself or herself a new perspective on things and fresh ideas for how to maintain the standards that have been set and achieved off the field while also improving performance on the field.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:45 pm

BozCatFan wrote:Off the top of my head, in no particular order.

Dan Davies (experienced)
Josh Wanago (fund raiser, young)
Calli Sanders (highly experienced at higher levels, ties to Montana and MSU)
Drew Ingraham (young, ties to MSU)
Bruce Parker (experienced, ties to MSU)
Rob Ash

PF came in when the finances were a wreck and fixed that. Now we need someone who can raise money and has incredible PR skills to continue the upward trajectory.

I have no real clue on who would do the best, but I thought it would be worth starting to toss names around for discussion.

My vote would be for Calli Sanders or Rob Ash.
GOOD GOD NO!!! Anyone but him. Drew is the reason Fields was hired in the first place, he also was a major factor in the Bay of Pigs incident.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:49 pm

SACCAT wrote:
BozCatFan wrote:Off the top of my head, in no particular order.

Dan Davies (experienced)
Josh Wanago (fund raiser, young)
Calli Sanders (highly experienced at higher levels, ties to Montana and MSU)
Drew Ingraham (young, ties to MSU)
Bruce Parker (experienced, ties to MSU)
Rob Ash

PF came in when the finances were a wreck and fixed that. Now we need someone who can raise money and has incredible PR skills to continue the upward trajectory.

I have no real clue on who would do the best, but I thought it would be worth starting to toss names around for discussion.

My vote would be for Calli Sanders or Rob Ash.
GOOD GOD NO!!! Anyone but him. Drew is the reason Fields was hired in the first place, he also was a major factor in the Bay of Pigs incident.
But you would be able to blame Drew........alot.........everytime any team lost......