Fields Out?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Re: Fields Out?

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:45 am

Yes maybe maybe haha

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:32 am

I feel I've never been knowledgeable about Fields or what he does to have an opinion either way. All the "quiet phase" b.s. pissed me off, though, when Cruzado showed what can happen when you set a goal and focus your efforts on achieving it. That, and hanging on to mediocre coaches for too long hoping things will change.

Having said that, I've never been able to understand the hatred directed at him when he's ostensibly hired who the selection committee recommends.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:42 pm

Cledus wrote:I feel I've never been knowledgeable about Fields or what he does to have an opinion either way. All the "quiet phase" b.s. pissed me off, though, when Cruzado showed what can happen when you set a goal and focus your efforts on achieving it. That, and hanging on to mediocre coaches for too long hoping things will change.

Having said that, I've never been able to understand the hatred directed at him when he's ostensibly hired who the selection committee recommends.
Agreed. That quiet phase crap was annoying as hell.

The holding on to Huse issue was what made me wish the guy gone.

I'm looking forward to what Cruzado comes up with, she's been a blessing for MSU in a big way!

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:42 pm

Just FYI ... Cruzado is also a big believer in the "quiet phase," as is every fundraiser in the country ... so that won't go away now that Fields is gone.

catdaddy7
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catdaddy7 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:58 pm

I'm not really sure if O'day is even in the running but if we could get him it would be huge for the Cats.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thank God there's Hockey this year .........

grizpack
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizpack » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:10 pm

I can't believe MSU kept him that long. However, that isn't a job for the feint at heart.

Wayne Hogan told me a long time ago there were 2 things that were a fact of life as an AD:

1. You are there for the President. That may mean taking a bullet for him/her (as Hogan did during our athletic financial problem). Dennison threw him directly under the bus for things that Dennison knew about for at least 2 years before the ****** hit the fan.

2. You will likely alienate 5-10% of your constituents each year, for 1 reason or another. Therefore, after 5-10 years, you better make sure your resume is ready (and probably circulating).

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:21 pm

catdaddy7 wrote:I'm not really sure if O'day is even in the running but if we could get him it would be huge for the Cats.

What about O'Day would make him a huge get for MSU?

catdaddy7

Post by catdaddy7 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:48 pm

Basically just look where he took griz athletics. He's a great negotiator and very smart dude.I know people that know him personally and he's a good guy.... besides as mentioned it would be the second time we counted major coup upon the Griz!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:50 pm

between facebook, twitter, and just talking to people, I bet I've seen/heard over 200 comments on this and I haven't heard a single protest this firing.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:51 pm

wbtfg wrote:between facebook, twitter, and just talking to people, I bet I've seen/heard over 200 comments on this and I haven't heard a single protest this firing.
I'll go on record and say it's unfair, nor do I agree with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:52 pm

I never understood the hate towards Fields. I think people were mad about Kramer.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:55 pm

CelticCat wrote:I never understood the hate towards Fields. I think people were mad about Kramer.
I agree and the Huse issues with extending then firing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:08 pm

wbtfg wrote:between facebook, twitter, and just talking to people, I bet I've seen/heard over 200 comments on this and I haven't heard a single protest this firing.
Has anybody anywhere ever been too upset about any AD getting let go? ADs just don't evoke the same positive emotions and loyalties as coaches. They are there to get blamed for anything that goes wrong and virtually never credited when things go right (the coaches get that credit).

I'm not speaking just of MSU -- this seems to be the way it goes nationwide.

Speaking just for myself, I assume that Cruzado had good reasons for making the decision she did. She's not sharing her rationale, but that's fine -- things like this aren't meant to be decided by the court of public opinion.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:09 pm

SonomaCat wrote:
Has anybody anywhere ever been too upset about any AD getting let go? ADs just don't evoke the same positive emotions as coaches. They are there to get blamed for anything that goes wrong and virtually never credited when things go right (the coaches get that credit).

Yeah, with the exception of the fiasco in Missoula few years ago, you might be right about that.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:12 pm

wbtfg wrote:
SonomaCat wrote:
Has anybody anywhere ever been too upset about any AD getting let go? ADs just don't evoke the same positive emotions as coaches. They are there to get blamed for anything that goes wrong and virtually never credited when things go right (the coaches get that credit).

Yeah, with the exception of the fiasco in Missoula few years ago, you might be right about that.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Good point -- yeah, that's a big exception. But had only the AD been let go but the coach had been spared, most probably would have been content to accept that bargain.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:22 pm

catdaddy7 wrote:Basically just look where he took griz athletics. He's a great negotiator and very smart dude.I know people that know him personally and he's a good guy.... besides as mentioned it would be the second time we counted major coup upon the Griz!

Look what he let the fb team get away with though......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:24 pm

catdaddy7 wrote:Basically just look where he took griz athletics. He's a great negotiator and very smart dude.I know people that know him personally and he's a good guy.... besides as mentioned it would be the second time we counted major coup upon the Griz!

I wouldn't consider it an example of "counting coup" to hire a guy that is only available because the other school fired him.

UM athletics also happened to go into one of the darkest periods of its history under his direction. I'm not saying that's his fault, but it's not good resume material.

My concern when I read your post was more on the "coup" aspect, though. I sincerely hope that we never make any hire based on an effort to spite UM. Instead I hope we always seek to hire the best man or woman out there for the job, regardless of which schools they previously for.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:25 pm

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:56 pm

Yeah, some people's criteria seem to be it they're Montana affiliated in the NAIA, or ex griz. I think we can do better than someone making the jump from NAIA or Grizzly leftovers.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

catdaddy7

Post by catdaddy7 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:37 pm

First,,,I'm not "some" person. Second,,,, you consider Gregorak a leftover?