Fields Out?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Re: Fields Out?

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:03 pm

Count me as one who wouldn't mind O'Day. There weren't very many sports that weren't successful while he was there. We could do a lot worse.

grizpack
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizpack » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:14 pm

RobertCats wrote:
catdaddy7 wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
catdaddy7 wrote:First,,,I'm not "some" person. Second,,,, you consider Gregorak a leftover?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I don't know....wasn't calling you out by name. But do you think because a guy worked for the other team instantly puts him to the top of the candidate list over here?

It seems a lot of the rumblings revolve around, "lets hire as many griz guys as possible to stick it to the other team. That'll show 'em"

I think we can do better than hiring a guy just to spite another team.

And there's already enough rumblings about the NAIA coaches hired on, ostensibly for their Montana ties. You want to compound the perception already started that the best MSU can do is guys who've outstayed their welcome in Missoula or guys from 3 divisions lower, hired mostly for their ability to recruit Montana and not specifically for their coaching (AD) skills?

When the coaching discussions were happening how many times did we hear, "We should hire Pflugrad." "Maybe Hauck is interested, wouldn't that be great!"

Now we're looking for an AD and the first thing out of some mouths is, "Hire O'Day! That'll show 'em."

No, we go out and hire the best we can attract for their job skills, and for what we desire in an AD - not to spite anyone in Missoula. I hope Gregorak was the "best" guy Choate could get, we'll see. I hope we didn't get him mostly to piss Stitt off.
You are just being argumentative,,,,,, The sky is blue,,,, is that correct? Just to reaffirm what I said after talking to an ex- griz football player I work out with,,,, O'day went to every game,,,, football, volleyball, soccer, whatever,,,,, and he said he would fall on a sharp sword for the guy. He stood by his coach and the player who was found innocent. Next question.....

I have lived my entire life hating the griz, but I will tell you O'Day graduated with my mom and I grew up around him and his family until they moved to Missoula. I will tell you he is a class act. He is a very smart man who understands all the sides of the business and did many wonderful things for the University and Athletic Department over there. I do NOT think it will ever happen but I would not be upset one bit if he came to MSU in some capacity.
Cats getting O'Day would bother me a LOT more than when Gregorak went there. Jim was excellent as an AD. He stood up for his coach to an idiot President (which is now being proven over and over), and it cost him his job. We were just lucky to have Haslam in house, or things could have ended up a lot worse for UM.

bertram
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bertram » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:45 pm

Fields is in the running for the open AD job at UNI
One of three finalists
http://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/un ... ddc4e.html

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:15 pm

bertram wrote:Fields is in the running for the open AD job at UNI
One of three finalists
http://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/un ... ddc4e.html
I hope he gets it! Their overall program has had far too much success the past few years, especially their basketball program...

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:19 pm

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:10 pm

I wish Peter well. He wasn't the most dynamic guy in public, but overall I think he left the program better than he found it. And I count him as a friend.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

bertram
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bertram » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:30 pm

Fields is still job hunting:
UNI went with David Harris as their new AD

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:13 pm

Speaking of the AD job in Bozeman, what's the process and time line for finding a replacent??

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:29 pm

bobcat99 wrote:Count me as one who wouldn't mind O'Day. There weren't very many sports that weren't successful while he was there. We could do a lot worse.
HELLLLLLLLL NO! There are not many other people I dislike in Montana more than him...

FTG- GO CATS GO!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:06 pm

bobcat99 wrote:Count me as one who wouldn't mind O'Day. There weren't very many sports that weren't successful while he was there. We could do a lot worse.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:23 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Nice =D^

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:47 pm

77matcat wrote:Speaking of the AD job in Bozeman, what's the process and time line for finding a replacent??

I'm unsure of the timeline for his replacement but Peter is scheduled to complete his contract though June 30.
I think we can all have full confidence that he will accomplish every bit as much in the next 4 months as he has each spring.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:31 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
77matcat wrote:Speaking of the AD job in Bozeman, what's the process and time line for finding a replacent??

I'm unsure of the timeline for his replacement but Peter is scheduled to complete his contract though June 30.
I think we can all have full confidence that he will accomplish every bit as much in the next 4 months as he has each spring.
Good thing the football schedule is already set then

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:33 am

mslacatfan wrote:

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:52 am

I have no strong feelings either way regarding O'Day, but there is no way in the world that he'd be considered for the MSU job, just like Kramer would never be considered for the UM coaching job. Both of them were fired by essentially the same employer, the Montana University System. Whether it's MSU or UM, they both fall under the same umbrella, and I can't imagine that a coach or AD (or even a professor) who was fired by one institution, under the circumstances that Kramer and O'Day were fired, would ever be seriously considered for a job at one of the other institutions.

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:24 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
So, mslacatfan, does that mean we can put you down as a "lukewarm" O'Day supporter???????LOL

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:29 am

John K wrote:
I have no strong feelings either way regarding O'Day, but there is no way in the world that he'd be considered for the MSU job, just like Kramer would never be considered for the UM coaching job. Both of them were fired by essentially the same employer, the Montana University System. Whether it's MSU or UM, they both fall under the same umbrella, and I can't imagine that a coach or AD (or even a professor) who was fired by one institution, under the circumstances that Kramer and O'Day were fired, would ever be seriously considered for a job at one of the other institutions.
Finally a tiny dash of reality added to the discussion, which is also very useful whenever yet another person says that Rob Ash should get the job! Fired employees aren't given second chances.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:37 pm

MSU01 wrote:
John K wrote:
Finally a tiny dash of reality added to the discussion, which is also very useful whenever yet another person says that Rob Ash should get the job! Fired employees aren't given second chances.
Mike Kramer is the first one who comes to mind as having been fired twice by MSU. Dennis Erickson is still coaching and he's been fired three times from rather prominent positions and he was being forced out of Miami when that team in Seattle called. I'm thinking of Billy Martin of the Yankees. Only insecure individuals worry about "red flags" if an individual is non-renewed or fired for cause and fail to look at the entire culture of the situation.
Last edited by Cat Grad on Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:04 am

Ya buttttttt. Most of the above had multiple ERs or weren't hired by the mt BOR.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:30 am

KittieKop wrote:
catdaddy7 wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
catdaddy7 wrote:First,,,I'm not "some" person. Second,,,, you consider Gregorak a leftover?

I don't know....wasn't calling you out by name. But do you think because a guy worked for the other team instantly puts him to the top of the candidate list over here?

It seems a lot of the rumblings revolve around, "lets hire as many griz guys as possible to stick it to the other team. That'll show 'em"

I think we can do better than hiring a guy just to spite another team.

And there's already enough rumblings about the NAIA coaches hired on, ostensibly for their Montana ties. You want to compound the perception already started that the best MSU can do is guys who've outstayed their welcome in Missoula or guys from 3 divisions lower, hired mostly for their ability to recruit Montana and not specifically for their coaching (AD) skills?

When the coaching discussions were happening how many times did we hear, "We should hire Pflugrad." "Maybe Hauck is interested, wouldn't that be great!"

Now we're looking for an AD and the first thing out of some mouths is, "Hire O'Day! That'll show 'em."

No, we go out and hire the best we can attract for their job skills, and for what we desire in an AD - not to spite anyone in Missoula. I hope Gregorak was the "best" guy Choate could get, we'll see. I hope we didn't get him mostly to piss Stitt off.
You are just being argumentative,,,,,, The sky is blue,,,, is that correct? Just to reaffirm what I said after talking to an ex- griz football player I work out with,,,, O'day went to every game,,,, football, volleyball, soccer, whatever,,,,, and he said he would fall on a sharp sword for the guy. He stood by his coach and the player who was found innocent. Next question.....

And you're being obtuse. Did you actually read what I said? I said hire the best guy available, not a guy just to stick it to the griz. You agree with that or not?
I do.