Best All Time Montana Athletes

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Wrangler
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Best All Time Montana Athletes

Post by Wrangler » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:06 pm

Brock Osweiler.... Adam Morrison???

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:15 pm

Wrangler wrote:Brock Osweiler.... Adam Morrison???
Osweiler when its' all said and done with his career, I have a feeling he will be a long term star in the NFL, and had potential for the NBA as well

heck, he might even end up being the QB that wins the Superbowl in a few days

Reddevil66-MSU
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Reddevil66-MSU » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:18 pm

Phil Jackson, born in Deer Lodge. Won one or two championships with the knicks back in the 70's and we all know how his coaching career turned out.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:31 pm

The Mint excluded Jackson because "Montana doesn't claim him."

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:47 pm

Spokane, the winner of the Kentucky Derby in 1889.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

webdav
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by webdav » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:33 am

I think we should at least mention the late, legendary Elvis Old Bull. That guy could sink rainbows from anywhere on the court.

In my "era" we were lucky to have Matt Garrison, Eli Workman, Mike Hayter, Danny Sullivan showing down on the court at Metra regularly. Great players, all.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:20 am

How about Robert Evel Knievel ??? Don't laugh. Man handling the ol Harley's with 4" of suspension through the air and of course the landing was considerably more difficult than the dirt bikes kids use now with a foot of soft landing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:52 am

webdav wrote:I think we should at least mention the late, legendary Elvis Old Bull. That guy could sink rainbows from anywhere on the court.

In my "era" we were lucky to have Matt Garrison, Eli Workman, Mike Hayter, Danny Sullivan showing down on the court at Metra regularly. Great players, all.
Elvis Old Bull, Jonathan Takes Enemy at Midnight, and his other cousin (?) were just as much fun to watch as Steph Curry and Klay Thompson -- definitely a WOW factor as great or greater than anyone else on this list!

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:55 am

BozeCatsFan wrote:Northern had a Hodge Trophy winner in Emmett Willson but I don't remember if he was a Montana kid or not.
Yep. Shepherd, MT. 3x State Champ. 3x NAIA Champ. For those that don't know, the Hodge Trophy is the college wrestling equivalent of the Heisman Trophy. For an NAIA guy to win it was incredible. Emmett beat D1 guys all year.

He and Turk were both teammates of mine at Northern. Absolute beasts, both of 'em.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:34 pm

Its too bad they didn't break it down into different sports.

Here is one that as a kid from Great Falls, you heard a lot about this guy, John Misha Petkevich. He was a pretty good figure skater, competed in the 68 and 72 Winter games.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:32 pm

JDoub wrote:
webdav wrote:I think we should at least mention the late, legendary Elvis Old Bull. That guy could sink rainbows from anywhere on the court.

Elvis Old Bull, Jonathan Takes Enemy at Midnight, and his other cousin (?) were just as much fun to watch as Steph Curry and Klay Thompson -- definitely a WOW factor as great or greater than anyone else on this list!
Used to play pick-up ball with Elvis at MSU. I don't know if he was a student but he was there a lot.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

60's Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 60's Cat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:13 pm

George Yellow Eyes played basketball for the State Industrial School (now Pine Hills). They were Class C state champs in 1959. Yellow Eyes scored 103 points in three games. This was prior to the three point basket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

catsack

Post by catsack » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:24 pm

Todd Reich
Chase Reynolds

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:30 pm

May as well add consensus All-American Frank Ward of the 1929 NCAA champ Golden Bobcats to the list.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Bobcat80
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat80 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:43 pm

catsack wrote:Todd Reich
Chase Reynolds
Todd Reich was a freak. I watched him win state C track by himself. Only person from Hot Springs to make it to state I believe. He won all 5 events he was in and took home the 1st place trophy. Very impressive.

RedCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by RedCat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:52 pm

bobcatbob wrote:MSU basketball player in late 60's Jack Gillespie. Still holds all time record for rebounds at MSU and was a first round pick in the draft in the old ABA. Only first round pick to come out of Montana.

Josh Huestis was a first round pick.

webdav
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by webdav » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:02 pm

I don't have the energy to go back and check, but someone must have mentioned Alex Lowe by now, right?

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:24 pm

Gary and Angelica diSilvestri. Not native Montanans, but I worked on a house for them up in the Club.

http://deadspin.com/dominicas-fake-ski- ... 1529973935

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:49 pm

Bobcat80 wrote:
catsack wrote:Todd Reich
Chase Reynolds
Todd Reich was a freak. I watched him win state C track by himself. Only person from Hot Springs to make it to state I believe. He won all 5 events he was in and took home the 1st place trophy. Very impressive.
Reich was impressive. Larry Quisted (sic) from Livingston and Stanford was as well. Craig Stiles was unbelievable. but as far as decorated Olympians, I believe Lones Wigger from Carter has the most gold metals of any Montanan.

Did Terry Schlabs from Medicine Lake in 69 have any teammates score points in the Medicine Lake State Track and Field Championship? I thought he won state all by himself that year. I know they took forever looking at the film of him and Dennis Grue from Manhattan before deciding Schlabs won the hurdles. An old Belgrade kid had to point this one out...

desmond1957

Post by desmond1957 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:49 pm

If this thread is about BEST MONTANA ATHLETES virtually EVERY ONE mentioned excelled at ONE sport other than BOZEMAN'S SHANE COLLINS!! Gatorade player of the year in BOTH FOOTBALL and TRACK and won the NAISMUTH AWARD in BASKETBALL and was the Montana Male High School Athlete of the Year. In college , was NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPION in TRACK (shot put) 6 time ALL AMERICA in track, First Team ALLPAC 10 in football, 2nd round DRAFT NFL, started as a rookie for the Redskins, won their ROOKIE of the YEAR award, started for 4 years until injuries forced retirement. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THOSE 2 SPORT CREDENTIALS????