Tappan Suspended

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Tappan Suspended

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:30 pm

CelticCat wrote:Grizgirl is one of the good ones people, chill.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
I've gotten into it with Grizgirl about the rivalry and Missoula's enrollment problem after the Cat-Griz game. I was posting out of anger. She kept her cool. I think we need more Griz fans on this board that want to talk football like her. I support the "grizgirl 2016" campaign. :thumbup:

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:09 pm

Serious question, and not looking for a pissing match, but would like some feedback from this side:

It seems whenever a Griz athlete is in trouble, it is plastered all over the media. It finds its way in The Missoulian, Gazette, Cat-Griz Insider, Facebook, etc. I then read all the negative comments and public shaming that accompanies that. It creates a perfect opportunity for Cats fans or anti-Griz to ridicule the athletes and the program publicly from the comfort of their keyboard, and many are quick to do it without even knowing all the circumstances. A couple quick examples of this are when Gamboa was suspended from NDSU for fighting and also the 3 players who were arrested and charged with criminal trespass. Those stories spread like wild fire in the media.

Why, then, when a Cat athlete is in trouble do we hardly hear of it? It seems like that is a double standard. Perhaps what Tappan did is no big deal and doesn't warrant news outlets putting it all across the state. But I'd say what Gamboa did probably wasn't that huge of a deal either. Drunken fighting? I'm glad he was suspended and was held accountable, but his name was then drug through the mud for a week with all the media outlets. If that is the normal standard then shouldn't that be the same for other athletes and schools?

I can think of a few examples of Cats players recently who have been suspended or kicked off the team even and it's like a hush-hush whisper in the dark with the media (Knight, who beat a woman, a hoops player who was caught shop lifting, and now Tappan). Why aren't these reported across the state by the same media who do it early and often with the Griz? It just seems like a double standard. If the Griz incidents are news worthy, I would think the Tappan issue is as well especially since he was kicked off his Cincinnati team and this was supposed to be his big second chance.

Anyways, just thinking out loud with this stuff but would appreciate your perspective.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:13 pm

Anthony Knight's situation was posted in the Billings Gazette and by every radio/mews outlet. Don't really know how you can get more mainstreem coverage than that in Montana. Don't know what to tell ya grizaddict.

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/colle ... 61f3f.html
Last edited by VimSince03 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:14 pm

I won't comment further on your post than to say why do you assume Tappan got in trouble like what you are alluding to? I've seen nothing to suggest that. He might have slept through early morning workouts, missed curfew, etc. Until we know let's stay away from speculation.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:17 pm

Grizaddict, I think situations will be posted by news outlets if there is an actual police report (see Knight's case, Gamboa's case, the three Griz players this fall, etc.). This is just a team suspension. Griz players have gotten suspended before for violating team rules and it is usually posted by either Griz coaches and/or the Missoulian. Same goes for Cat players. If there turns out to be a police report on Tappan, don't worry...the news will be all over it. I guess I just don't see a double standard.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:18 pm

Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:19 pm

Grizaddict wrote:Serious question, and not looking for a pissing match, but would like some feedback from this side:

It seems whenever a Griz athlete is in trouble, it is plastered all over the media. It finds its way in The Missoulian, Gazette, Cat-Griz Insider, Facebook, etc. I then read all the negative comments and public shaming that accompanies that. It creates a perfect opportunity for Cats fans or anti-Griz to ridicule the athletes and the program publicly from the comfort of their keyboard, and many are quick to do it without even knowing all the circumstances. A couple quick examples of this are when Gamboa was suspended from NDSU for fighting and also the 3 players who were arrested and charged with criminal trespass. Those stories spread like wild fire in the media.

Why, then, when a Cat athlete is in trouble do we hardly hear of it? It seems like that is a double standard. Perhaps what Tappan did is no big deal and doesn't warrant news outlets putting it all across the state. But I'd say what Gamboa did probably wasn't that huge of a deal either. Drunken fighting? I'm glad he was suspended and was held accountable, but his name was then drug through the mud for a week with all the media outlets. If that is the normal standard then shouldn't that be the same for other athletes and schools?

I can think of a few examples of Cats players recently who have been suspended or kicked off the team even and it's like a hush-hush whisper in the dark with the media (Knight, who beat a woman, a hoops player who was caught shop lifting, and now Tappan). Why aren't these reported across the state by the same media who do it early and often with the Griz? It just seems like a double standard. If the Griz incidents are news worthy, I would think the Tappan issue is as well especially since he was kicked off his Cincinnati team and this was supposed to be his big second chance.

Anyways, just thinking out loud with this stuff but would appreciate your perspective.
Tappan's suspension was in the billings gazette yesterday. A few weeks ago they ran a bs story about how John Stockton's daughter got a technical foul in a game, and how she learned from it. The gazette is a joke!!

If your left, you aren’t right.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:24 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Grizaddict, I think situations will be posted by news outlets if there is an actual police report (see Knight's case, Gamboa's case, the three Griz players this fall, etc.). This is just a team suspension. Griz players have gotten suspended before for violating team rules and it is usually posted by either Griz coaches and/or the Missoulian. Same goes for Cat players. If there turns out to be a police report on Tappan, don't worry...the news will be all over it. I guess I just don't see a double standard.
That makes perfect sense and I appreciate the response. I didn't realize Gamboa's incident involved an arrest or police report. Like I said, had no idea what Tappan did either and if it was some minor internal incident then I agree that's where it should stay.

What about the hoops player shop lifting? I didn't see a thing on that and I'm guessing it was an arrest and/or police report?

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:25 pm

LTown Cat wrote:I won't comment further on your post than to say why do you assume Tappan got in trouble like what you are alluding to? I've seen nothing to suggest that. He might have slept through early morning workouts, missed curfew, etc. Until we know let's stay away from speculation.
All valid points. I'm not assuming anything. I was just curious on perspective. I can agree if police report/arrest record is the deciding factor then that makes sense.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:Grizaddict, I think situations will be posted by news outlets if there is an actual police report (see Knight's case, Gamboa's case, the three Griz players this fall, etc.). This is just a team suspension. Griz players have gotten suspended before for violating team rules and it is usually posted by either Griz coaches and/or the Missoulian. Same goes for Cat players. If there turns out to be a police report on Tappan, don't worry...the news will be all over it. I guess I just don't see a double standard.
That makes perfect sense and I appreciate the response. I didn't realize Gamboa's incident involved an arrest or police report. Like I said, had no idea what Tappan did either and if it was some minor internal incident then I agree that's where it should stay.

What about the hoops player shop lifting? I didn't see a thing on that and I'm guessing it was an arrest and/or police report?
http://billingsgazette.com/sports/colle ... b9700.html
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/ ... /75089522/
http://missoulian.com/news/state-and-re ... bcd3f.html

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:31 pm

If your left, you aren’t right.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:36 pm

Well, lets be honest, noone cares as much about basketball.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:40 pm

Knight was suspended by staff same morning he was arrested.(I never saw the police report or saw the legal outcome)We definitely missed him on the field.

Personally never heard much about the bb player on the shoplift. Seems like I heard about as much as UM asst. coach Shannon Cates(sp).

Don't know what Marcus Tappan did even though I published a quote on "where's your brain!" for which I may have to issue an apology.

UM players mentioned were all arrested while UM football under NCAA scrutiny.

As a sidenote: a man was murdered by Scott Price in MIles City on Dec. 14. Miles City police failed to warn the Montana public before he murdered an unaware Lonnette Keener in Missoula, stating in local (MC) media by Chief of Police Doug Columbik that Price was not thought to be a danger to the public.
This subject has drawn very little attention by the public while a much more serious subject.

My point, not to derail the thread, is to say sometimes it is crazy what we, the public, dwell on.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:51 pm

grizgirl wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Anacomando wrote:The whole "give a guy a second chance" ideology hasn't worked very well for MSU...it's not that people don't deserve a second chance, they do, but you have to give it to the right people. If Cincinnati don't want you around there's a reason and they kept Kenyon Martin! Granted that's basketball but MSU's track record on this sucks!
I agree, the last two years there have been some really questionable transfers. Even the ones that end up making it and staying out of trouble haven't worked on the field a lot of that had to due with injuries for those players. Regardless, I'm not against transfers and if they can help I for giving them a shot, but maybe under different qualification standards. If your transferring because of lack of playing, change of degrees, disagreement with the coach, etc, I would be fine with it. Transferring because you have been kicked off of your last team or because you couldn't make grades would be red flags for me and I wouldn't except them.

Having said all that, I wish someone would just go slap players like Tappan, Marino, King, and few others and tell them to wake up. It isn't that hard to stay out of trouble, and the argument that they are just kids drives me nuts. Kids still have a responsibility to play by the rules and be responsible for their actions.
Isn't Tappan the guy that was exonerated of any wrong doing after being kicked off the team? I get the feeling you guys are going overboard on player discipline just because you think UM doesn't do enough. I mean, there is such a thing as getting too carried away with things.
Get over yourself, do you think the MSU coaches base the suspensions on what UM does? Give me a break, typical oblivious griz fan.
Umm, well, no. Did you think I was responding to the coaches? I'm responding to your posters. I believe this guy was arrested based on mistaken identity. So he wouldn't be considered a second chance in my book.

I also don't get all the embarrassment both UM and MSU fans feel when a player does have a minor screw up. Stop and take a breath, then realize the fact little Johnny got busted in a drug test doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.
Pretty sure it's not drugs in this case so I'd appreciate the insinuation to that regard cease. Mmmmm K?
Please tell me you're not serious. I started a new paragraph (thought) and used drug test as an example of a minor screw up. I try to get along with you guys, and hardly ever (if ever) post anything nasty and negative about MSU, but you're making it difficult. I felt sorry for Tappan when I heard his story about what happened to him at Cincinnatti. Now I feel sorry for him again, because YOU GUYS are acting like he was given a second chance, which I guess makes this screw up is a third chance?
Well, that's fine, but I'd suggest using something a bit more vague like "possible" rather than "fact" and people might not make the same mistake I did.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:55 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Let's please not bash the kid on here, regardless of what you know. Take it to PM. Did we learn nothing from the Professor's post?
I wasn't bashing the kid on here if you're talking to me. In fact, I was trying to discourage that as well as put the skids on a topic that really, in all likelihood had no bearing on this kid's actions.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:56 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

So it looks like my theory of lopsided reporting was shot down in a hurry haha. I truly don't remember seeing these or hearing of these. But it looks like the media outlets printed it. Maybe my complaint is more social media driven. That's where these kids get just hammered by random strangers.

On another note, if I ever need help I'm hiring Vim. Your internet sleuthing skills are impressive in both recruiting and tracking down articles. Dang Google :)

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:58 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Anacomando wrote:The whole "give a guy a second chance" ideology hasn't worked very well for MSU...it's not that people don't deserve a second chance, they do, but you have to give it to the right people. If Cincinnati don't want you around there's a reason and they kept Kenyon Martin! Granted that's basketball but MSU's track record on this sucks!
I agree, the last two years there have been some really questionable transfers. Even the ones that end up making it and staying out of trouble haven't worked on the field a lot of that had to due with injuries for those players. Regardless, I'm not against transfers and if they can help I for giving them a shot, but maybe under different qualification standards. If your transferring because of lack of playing, change of degrees, disagreement with the coach, etc, I would be fine with it. Transferring because you have been kicked off of your last team or because you couldn't make grades would be red flags for me and I wouldn't except them.

Having said all that, I wish someone would just go slap players like Tappan, Marino, King, and few others and tell them to wake up. It isn't that hard to stay out of trouble, and the argument that they are just kids drives me nuts. Kids still have a responsibility to play by the rules and be responsible for their actions.
Isn't Tappan the guy that was exonerated of any wrong doing after being kicked off the team? I get the feeling you guys are going overboard on player discipline just because you think UM doesn't do enough. I mean, there is such a thing as getting too carried away with things.
Get over yourself, do you think the MSU coaches base the suspensions on what UM does? Give me a break, typical oblivious griz fan.
Umm, well, no. Did you think I was responding to the coaches? I'm responding to your posters. I believe this guy was arrested based on mistaken identity. So he wouldn't be considered a second chance in my book.

I also don't get all the embarrassment both UM and MSU fans feel when a player does have a minor screw up. Stop and take a breath, then realize the fact little Johnny got busted in a drug test doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.
Pretty sure it's not drugs in this case so I'd appreciate the insinuation to that regard cease. Mmmmm K?
Please tell me you're not serious. I started a new paragraph (thought) and used drug test as an example of a minor screw up. I try to get along with you guys, and hardly ever (if ever) post anything nasty and negative about MSU, but you're making it difficult. I felt sorry for Tappan when I heard his story about what happened to him at Cincinnatti. Now I feel sorry for him again, because YOU GUYS are acting like he was given a second chance, which I guess makes this screw up is a third chance?
Well, that's fine, but I'd suggest using something a bit more vague like "possible" rather than "fact" and people might not make the same mistake I did.
Tbh, and I like you, but most people that employ a little bit of reading comprehension understood that she wasn't saying Tappan failed a test. Good grief. Just bc she has the word 'Griz' in her username doesn't mean we need to turn into mouth frothing idiots.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:01 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

So it looks like my theory of lopsided reporting was shot down in a hurry haha. I truly don't remember seeing these or hearing of these. But it looks like the media outlets printed it. Maybe my complaint is more social media driven. That's where these kids get just hammered by random strangers.

On another note, if I ever need help I'm hiring Vim. Your internet sleuthing skills are impressive in both recruiting and tracking down articles. Dang Google :)
No problem bud! 8)

grizatwork
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by grizatwork » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:37 pm

Just as an aside, this was not Gamboas first incident of "fighting." He was disciplined by one of the previous staffs for a similar incident. I could never get on the Gamboa bandwagon because of it. He got a few drinks in him and all of the sudden he wanted to fight everyone. His incident should have had the law involved. If one if his previous "opponents" wasn't so nice, it wouldn't have been the first time.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:07 pm

grizatwork wrote:Just as an aside, this was not Gamboas first incident of "fighting." He was disciplined by one of the previous staffs for a similar incident. I could never get on the Gamboa bandwagon because of it. He got a few drinks in him and all of the sudden he wanted to fight everyone. His incident should have had the law involved. If one if his previous "opponents" wasn't so nice, it wouldn't have been the first time.
Ya know, we ask these kids to be hyper agressive on the field, and then want them to turn it down off. Not to make excuses, but are we helping them? Of course we're giving them a free education too.