Tappan Suspended

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

JDoub
Member # Retired

Tappan Suspended

Post by JDoub » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:13 pm

per Parker Gabriel and Skyline Sports, violation of team rules, no timetable

hope its' minor

either way, Choate not messing around right off the bat I take as a good thing for the team

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Re: Tappan Suspended

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:16 pm

I agree that I hope that it's minor.

I've heard some other things about other small issues, and how Choate is dealing with them. He is not messing around. He wants to head off issues before they become larger issues. I don't like that there are some small things, but I do like that they are being dealt with immediately, and with consequences.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:17 pm

I'm glad and not so glad. Not so glad he did something to warrent being suspended. Glad that it shows us that Choate isn't messing around and has high expectations of these young MEN.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:28 pm

Character
ACCOUNTABILITY
Toughness

It's not just a cute acronym. He means it.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:45 pm

I thought I heard he was no longer on the team. So to me this is good news. At least he is still on the team.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:53 pm

Why'd you kick me?
Where's your brain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adCEdYnWKk4

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:00 pm

Disappointing news for a young man on a second chance ride.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:19 pm

It's good to see Choate laying down the law already. This is one major thing a lot of people were unsure of. Ash did a great job with discipline and the expectations for the guys on and off the field. And while it stinks for Tappan, it sets a precedent and shows Choate is commited to more than football. Which I think a lot of us felt from him anyway starting day 1 but this shows it.

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:11 am

The whole "give a guy a second chance" ideology hasn't worked very well for MSU...it's not that people don't deserve a second chance, they do, but you have to give it to the right people. If Cincinnati don't want you around there's a reason and they kept Kenyon Martin! Granted that's basketball but MSU's track record on this sucks!

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:28 am

Anacomando wrote:The whole "give a guy a second chance" ideology hasn't worked very well for MSU...it's not that people don't deserve a second chance, they do, but you have to give it to the right people. If Cincinnati don't want you around there's a reason and they kept Kenyon Martin! Granted that's basketball but MSU's track record on this sucks!
I agree, the last two years there have been some really questionable transfers. Even the ones that end up making it and staying out of trouble haven't worked on the field a lot of that had to due with injuries for those players. Regardless, I'm not against transfers and if they can help I for giving them a shot, but maybe under different qualification standards. If your transferring because of lack of playing, change of degrees, disagreement with the coach, etc, I would be fine with it. Transferring because you have been kicked off of your last team or because you couldn't make grades would be red flags for me and I wouldn't except them.

Having said all that, I wish someone would just go slap players like Tappan, Marino, King, and few others and tell them to wake up. It isn't that hard to stay out of trouble, and the argument that they are just kids drives me nuts. Kids still have a responsibility to play by the rules and be responsible for their actions.

If your left, you aren’t right.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:54 am

Anacomando wrote:The whole "give a guy a second chance" ideology hasn't worked very well for MSU...it's not that people don't deserve a second chance, they do, but you have to give it to the right people. If Cincinnati don't want you around there's a reason and they kept Kenyon Martin! Granted that's basketball but MSU's track record on this sucks!
I agree. It seems like the last couple of years, we became pretty desperate to upgrade the talent, and took chances on some transfers that we probably would have passed on in previous years. Certainly, some have worked out, i.e. Sandland, but it seems like our batting average is not that great in this area.

grizgirl
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by grizgirl » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:23 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
I agree, the last two years there have been some really questionable transfers. Even the ones that end up making it and staying out of trouble haven't worked on the field a lot of that had to due with injuries for those players. Regardless, I'm not against transfers and if they can help I for giving them a shot, but maybe under different qualification standards. If your transferring because of lack of playing, change of degrees, disagreement with the coach, etc, I would be fine with it. Transferring because you have been kicked off of your last team or because you couldn't make grades would be red flags for me and I wouldn't except them.

Having said all that, I wish someone would just go slap players like Tappan, Marino, King, and few others and tell them to wake up. It isn't that hard to stay out of trouble, and the argument that they are just kids drives me nuts. Kids still have a responsibility to play by the rules and be responsible for their actions.
Isn't Tappan the guy that was exonerated of any wrong doing after being kicked off the team? I get the feeling you guys are going overboard on player discipline just because you think UM doesn't do enough. I mean, there is such a thing as getting too carried away with things.

Go Dark Brandon!!

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:27 am

grizgirl wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

Isn't Tappan the guy that was exonerated of any wrong doing after being kicked off the team? I get the feeling you guys are going overboard on player discipline just because you think UM doesn't do enough. I mean, there is such a thing as getting too carried away with things.
Get over yourself, do you think the MSU coaches base the suspensions on what UM does? Give me a break, typical oblivious griz fan.

If your left, you aren’t right.

grizgirl

Post by grizgirl » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:34 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

Get over yourself, do you think the MSU coaches base the suspensions on what UM does? Give me a break, typical oblivious griz fan.
Umm, well, no. Did you think I was responding to the coaches? I'm responding to your posters. I believe this guy was arrested based on mistaken identity. So he wouldn't be considered a second chance in my book.

I also don't get all the embarrassment both UM and MSU fans feel when a player does have a minor screw up. Stop and take a breath, then realize the fact little Johnny got busted in a drug test doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Go Dark Brandon!!

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:46 am

grizgirl wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

Umm, well, no. Did you think I was responding to the coaches? I'm responding to your posters. I believe this guy was arrested based on mistaken identity. So he wouldn't be considered a second chance in my book.

I also don't get all the embarrassment both UM and MSU fans feel when a player does have a minor screw up. Stop and take a breath, then realize the fact little Johnny got busted in a drug test doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.
Pretty sure it's not drugs in this case so I'd appreciate the insinuation to that regard cease. Mmmmm K?

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:12 pm

I believe Tappan was the one that Ash told us was just not motivated and was completely satisfied with being on the third string and doing the minimum to stay on the team. But we don't want to make judgments about his reasons now do we!

2024 Resume dominance

grizgirl

Post by grizgirl » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:19 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

Pretty sure it's not drugs in this case so I'd appreciate the insinuation to that regard cease. Mmmmm K?
Please tell me you're not serious. I started a new paragraph (thought) and used drug test as an example of a minor screw up. I try to get along with you guys, and hardly ever (if ever) post anything nasty and negative about MSU, but you're making it difficult. I felt sorry for Tappan when I heard his story about what happened to him at Cincinnatti. Now I feel sorry for him again, because YOU GUYS are acting like he was given a second chance, which I guess makes this screw up is a third chance?

Go Dark Brandon!!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:23 pm

Grizgirl is one of the good ones people, chill.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:26 pm

Let's please not bash the kid on here, regardless of what you know. Take it to PM. Did we learn nothing from the Professor's post?

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:28 pm

CelticCat wrote:Grizgirl is one of the good ones people, chill.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
I agree and I see nothing wrong with her above posts.