Needs and Best of the rest?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Needs and Best of the rest?

Post by LIBBYCAT » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:10 pm

Hope his focus changes back to fb real soon as moving to CB is a difficult transition. With a need at safety he might be a better fit there with the additions made so far in the secondary.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:34 pm

I'm hoping another year of experience and strength training for the existing guys, new guys and drop downs plus better coaching spells an exciting group to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95bcfb
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 95bcfb » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:50 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Cornerbacks returning:

Bryce Alley - Jr. (5'11", 175)
Tre'Von Strong - So. (6'1", 190)
Braelen Evans - Rso. (5'11", 190)
Chris Harris - Rfr. (6'2", 190)
Sidney Holmes - Rfr. (5'11", 190)
Morris Gates - Sr. (5'9", 185)
Zach Stern - Sr. (6'2", 200)

Incoming:

Damien Washington - Fr. (6'1", 175)
Naijiel Hale - So. (5'11", 185)

Even if we don't get the Tolliver kid, I'm actually feeling fine about our cornerback depth. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few of these guys move to safety because....

Safeties returning:

Bryson McCabe - Jr. (6'0", 205)
Khari Garcia - Jr. (5'10", 195)
West Wilson - Jr. (5'11", 200)
Brayden Konkol - Rfr. (6'1", 200)
Tanner Hoff - Rfr. (6'1", 200)
Demonte King - So. (6'0", 190)

Not sure but King may be back with the team. Choate did follow him on twitter. I guess we will see this spring. The kid was put into a tough spot last year with unrealistic expectations put on his shoulders (along with other young freshman). Cannot believe Ash & Co. couldn't build better depth in the secondary over the last two years because it hurt us. King was not ready yet and it showed. Especially in the secondary, kids need time to develop. When you look back at the defense last year, it really is astonishing how young we were at so many key positions without any depth behind them.

Anyway, we have not landed a safety yet in recruiting and that definitely surprises me. We definitely offered some good ones but we didn't bring one in on a visit. It seems like a big DT and a safety were the two positions that Choate feels he can get a drop-down because I am not comfortable as a fan with either the DT and Safety depth. I have very high hopes for Brayden Konkol but Garcia and McCabe cannot do it all by themselves this year. Even though they were our best options at safety last year over King and Carter, they still had their fair share of learning moments. I thought Garcia improved throughout the year and he plays with tremendous passion. McCabe definitely improved his coverage skills, which were a weak point in his game coming onto the team. We need quality depth here and I hope we bring on outside talent before fall camp.

I would love to see us get an impact player at DT but let's be real - when was the last time we got a transfer DT that ever played much less was an impact player? I have been following he cats since 1995 and the only one that I can think of is the kid that transferred with Ash from Drake - Can't remember his name. He was good but not great. I can't think of any others. It is hard to get a good high school DT but even harder to get a transfer. I would love to get another Minter type player but we have had GREAT D-lines without that type of player. Kramer had some of the best D-lines that I can remember and he used the likes of Adam Cordeiro and John Taylor (neither one could have been a pound over 250). I really think that we can move some of our more athletic player inside and be just fine. We need a better scheme and better play in the secondary and it will be amazing how much better our D-line looks. I hope we can land a big athletic DT but if we can't I still think that we will (or at least can be) fine.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:56 pm

Jason D'Alba

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:38 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:Jason D'Alba
He was a mean SOB on the field.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:40 pm

CelticCat wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:Jason D'Alba
He was a mean SOB on the field.
Loved it and miss it. Him and Minter were an unstoppable force

LIBBYCAT

Post by LIBBYCAT » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:48 pm

I'm going to keep hoping for that tackle!
I believe between Mac, and Choates contacts there has to be somebody in that mold.
I don't disagree Kramer had some great lineman but I don't think the Cats can be competitive nationally until the defense gets to top 30 range or better.
As fun as Cramseys O was to watch, it just seems the successful teams use a balance of power offense, ball control and physical dominance. Scheme is less complex but perfected with players who know exactly where they are supposed to be, always.
Quality depth and recruiting seem to have been hampered by injury and either bad luck or inadequate development.

Minter was an athletic freak and I'm not sure that is any easier to come by than a stud lineman. I actually believe two have been recruited this year but not sure either will be ready come August!
I have to say that the recruiting process coupled with the change of staff has breathed some life back into the fans.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:31 pm

LIBBYCAT wrote:I'm going to keep hoping for that tackle!
I believe between Mac, and Choates contacts there has to be somebody in that mold.
I don't disagree Kramer had some great lineman but I don't think the Cats can be competitive nationally until the defense gets to top 30 range or better.
As fun as Cramseys O was to watch, it just seems the successful teams use a balance of power offense, ball control and physical dominance. Scheme is less complex but perfected with players who know exactly where they are supposed to be, always.
Quality depth and recruiting seem to have been hampered by injury and either bad luck or inadequate development.

Minter was an athletic freak and I'm not sure that is any easier to come by than a stud lineman. I actually believe two have been recruited this year but not sure either will be ready come August!
I have to say that the recruiting process coupled with the change of staff has breathed some life back into the fans.
There's a lot of quality points in this post. Well said

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:24 am

95bcfb wrote:

Incoming:

Even if we don't get the Tolliver kid, I'm actually feeling fine about our cornerback depth. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few of these guys move to safety because....

Safeties returning:

Not sure but King may be back with the team. Choate did follow him on twitter. I guess we will see this spring. The kid was put into a tough spot last year with unrealistic expectations put on his shoulders (along with other young freshman). Cannot believe Ash & Co. couldn't build better depth in the secondary over the last two years because it hurt us. King was not ready yet and it showed. Especially in the secondary, kids need time to develop. When you look back at the defense last year, it really is astonishing how young we were at so many key positions without any depth behind them.

Anyway, we have not landed a safety yet in recruiting and that definitely surprises me. We definitely offered some good ones but we didn't bring one in on a visit. It seems like a big DT and a safety were the two positions that Choate feels he can get a drop-down because I am not comfortable as a fan with either the DT and Safety depth. I have very high hopes for Brayden Konkol but Garcia and McCabe cannot do it all by themselves this year. Even though they were our best options at safety last year over King and Carter, they still had their fair share of learning moments. I thought Garcia improved throughout the year and he plays with tremendous passion. McCabe definitely improved his coverage skills, which were a weak point in his game coming onto the team. We need quality depth here and I hope we bring on outside talent before fall camp.

I would love to see us get an impact player at DT but let's be real - when was the last time we got a transfer DT that ever played much less was an impact player? I have been following he cats since 1995 and the only one that I can think of is the kid that transferred with Ash from Drake - Can't remember his name. He was good but not great. I can't think of any others. It is hard to get a good high school DT but even harder to get a transfer. I would love to get another Minter type player but we have had GREAT D-lines without that type of player. Kramer had some of the best D-lines that I can remember and he used the likes of Adam Cordeiro and John Taylor (neither one could have been a pound over 250). I really think that we can move some of our more athletic player inside and be just fine. We need a better scheme and better play in the secondary and it will be amazing how much better our D-line looks. I hope we can land a big athletic DT but if we can't I still think that we will (or at least can be) fine.
Adam Cordeiro played defensive end. But yes I agree with you. You don't need a monster inside to be a great defense. Sorry I keep bringing them up as an example but NDSU has done just fine without a consistent 300 pounder in the middle for the past six years.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:28 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
LIBBYCAT wrote:I'm going to keep hoping for that tackle!

There's a lot of quality points in this post. Well said
Another thing to keep in mind is that Zach Minter was a zero star recruit and was about 240 pounds when he signed with the Cats as a freshman. I want a transfer on the defensive line not just for a potential starter, but also for depth purposes. We simply don't have that many "ready to go" defensive tackles on our team currently. Like I said above, Zach Wright and Wilcox might be big enough to be ready to play inside this year. We need depth.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:41 am

VimSince03 wrote:
95bcfb wrote:

Incoming:

Safeties returning:

Adam Cordeiro played defensive end. But yes I agree with you. You don't need a monster inside to be a great defense. Sorry I keep bringing them up as an example but NDSU has done just fine without a consistent 300 pounder in the middle for the past six years.
Adam was almost 270 at his heaviest, but he also could run a 4.5 40 and was strong as an ox. Great genes in that family, but Vim makes a valid point, I think a motor and good technique will beat slow O lineman a good percentage of the time.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:01 am

Well ******...
Bosco Football ‏@boscofootball 12h12 hours ago
Congratulations Senior CB Mykal Tolliver for his commitment to University of Hawaii. #RainbowWarriors

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:04 am

wbtfg wrote:Well ******...
Bosco Football ‏@boscofootball 12h12 hours ago
Congratulations Senior CB Mykal Tolliver for his commitment to University of Hawaii. #RainbowWarriors
Again though I'm happy with the two corners we picked up. Just don't understand the safety situation.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:06 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
95bcfb wrote:

Incoming:

Safeties returning:

Adam was almost 270 at his heaviest, but he also could run a 4.5 40 and was strong as an ox. Great genes in that family, but Vim makes a valid point, I think a motor and good technique will beat slow O lineman a good percentage of the time.
Cordeiro was the man, didn't he win the 100m, 200m, and 110 hurdles in high school?

If your left, you aren’t right.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:33 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
95bcfb wrote:

Incoming:

Safeties returning:

Cordeiro was the man, didn't he win the 100m, 200m, and 110 hurdles in high school?
100M, 200M, 4X100M relay, shotput and discus.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:44 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
95bcfb wrote:

Incoming:

Safeties returning:

He was one of my all-time favorites, Cordeiro and Montoya were like ham and eggs, they just go together.

If your left, you aren’t right.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:55 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
95bcfb wrote:

Incoming:

Safeties returning:

He was one of my all-time favorites, Cordeiro and Montoya were like ham and eggs, they just go together.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:22 pm

I wonder what impact Gates will have at DB next year. He played a lot in high school, and I'm sure spent last year practicing even though he was ineligible.

Here are some defensive highlights from high school:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

LIBBYCAT

Post by LIBBYCAT » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:02 pm

I love the attitude Gates plays with in this video!

I revisited the roster after a comment was made about the # of d line prospects on there. Good lord that's a lot of schollies
In the last couple of classes. Folks better not be to comfortable in that group as there are sure to be some changes.
Several of the underclassmen have the size depending on speed and strength could contribute.
There appear to be 2-3 guys that should, barring any more injuries, be able to help out also, in the secondary.

Not a ton of expierience but some really good athletes!

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:40 pm

CelticCat wrote:I wonder what impact Gates will have at DB next year. He played a lot in high school, and I'm sure spent last year practicing even though he was ineligible.

Here are some defensive highlights from high school:

Where did I miss the announcement of Gates moving to DB?

It's a very good thing and I'm happy about the move if it's true