Needs and Best of the rest?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Needs and Best of the rest?

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:01 pm

Thanks. Blitz. Only one way to find out. Spring ball!

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Reddevil66-MSU
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Reddevil66-MSU » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:28 pm

Don't forget that King left the team, so you can take him off the list of safeties.

95bcfb
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 95bcfb » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:27 pm

What about Wilcox? Didn't he have another year left? What do you think about him moving inside? He is a good sized guy and athletic enough. Just a thought.

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by LIBBYCAT » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:29 pm

Put a check by the cornerback, Naijiel Hale just committed, ones not enough In the defensive backfield. Good job coaches!

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:32 pm

LIBBYCAT wrote:Put a check by the cornerback, Naijiel Hale just committed, ones not enough I the defensive backfield. Good job coaches!
Yes!!! Need 1 more and a DT transfer

LIBBYCAT

Post by LIBBYCAT » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:38 pm

95bcfb wrote:What about Wilcox? Didn't he have another year left? What do you think about him moving inside? He is a good sized guy and athletic enough. Just a thought.
I didn't intend to dismiss or discount anyone on the d line last year. My opinion was that it coupled with the secondary created a weakness the team couldn't overcome. Wilcox may have the size and athleticism and we will see. My comment was aimed at recruiting or signing another stud d lineman that is game ready right now not a development project which will play in two years.

bcats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bcats » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:39 pm

Still need a safety. I'm thinking the one in Huntley would be a real nice pickup.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Just my opinion-- Byron Stulc

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:40 pm

LIBBYCAT wrote:
95bcfb wrote:What about Wilcox? Didn't he have another year left? What do you think about him moving inside? He is a good sized guy and athletic enough. Just a thought.
I didn't intend to dismiss or discount anyone on the d line last year. My opinion was that it coupled with the secondary created a weakness the team couldn't overcome. Wilcox may have the size and athleticism and we will see. My comment was aimed at recruiting or signing another stud d lineman that is game ready right now not a development project which will play in two years.
This, even if it's just for depth

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:46 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:Where/when did Choate say he was going to a 3-4 ? Didn't both the Huskies and griz run a 4-3?
They ran a base 3-4 with Kwiatkowski. When he was there with Wilcox as D Coord. they ran a bunch of looks from 3-4 to 5-3 and beyond. But I'm not sure what he specifically wants to do as an overall scheme here.

*Sounds like he said it in his presser that he wants to run the 3-4. Will be interesting to see what Gregorak does with that.

I thought he said he would customize the offense and defense to the personnel, not the other way around?

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

LIBBYCAT

Post by LIBBYCAT » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:01 pm

If in fact there is a change in defensive scheme, Yates is your nose guard and we will be hard pressed to find or develop a player there in the next two years. Defensive tackles in that scheme are truly as hard to come by as game ready lock down corners. Realistically your looking at a 6'5" kid in the 280 range that loves to get double teamed, strong as an ox and smart enough to earn an engineering degree. Sound like another unicorn? I think Kidd and Benson fit the mold but it will take time.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:12 pm

bcats wrote:Still need a safety. I'm thinking the one in Huntley would be a real nice pickup.
Full disclosure...I haven't seen him play football but I just saw him play bball for the 2nd time this year. I didn't see a D1 athlete. I think he's better off in the Frontier. Just my opinion.

bcats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bcats » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:06 am

I like fringe players with something to prove. They have nothing handed to them and work there tail off to play. Often turn into the best players and leaders of the team. I don't doubt his athletic ability. Comes from a family of runners and hard workers as well. Time will tell and I hope we offer a PWO. If we don't he will be a good player where ever he goes.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Just my opinion-- Byron Stulc

LIBBYCAT

Post by LIBBYCAT » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:20 am

Looking at the roster and considering who is left on the board I believe the coaches need to focus on:

D lineman- game ready, tough get but someone needs to understand that there is an opportunity to play right away.

Another corner: have several but we have consistently been down to the last guy standing.

Safety: again this is a depth issue, not sure what to make of recent high school recruits here, are they developing on schedule or do we need an upgrade?

Heavy back, a guy that can take over the game in the fourth quarter and on fourth down to develop for the future.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:42 pm

I'm just spitballing, but is there a possibility that Choate already has his DT lined up and is just waiting for the kid to transfer after spring semester?

LIBBYCAT

Post by LIBBYCAT » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:35 pm

I like your line of thinking. We should know Wednesday. If in fact that is the case, kid will likely sign or coach will keep looking.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:01 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
bcats wrote:Still need a safety. I'm thinking the one in Huntley would be a real nice pickup.
Full disclosure...I haven't seen him play football but I just saw him play bball for the 2nd time this year. I didn't see a D1 athlete. I think he's better off in the Frontier. Just my opinion.
I agree I have watched him play football on multiple occasions over the past three years and he was never once the best player or athlete on the field. I would say he is frontier at best, at least that's what my eyes tell me after watching him play. Who knows maybe he could get into a big sky program and flourish after a few years, but as of now I don't see it.

If your left, you aren’t right.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:08 am

Cornerbacks returning:

Bryce Alley - Jr. (5'11", 175)
Tre'Von Strong - So. (6'1", 190)
Braelen Evans - Rso. (5'11", 190)
Chris Harris - Rfr. (6'2", 190)
Sidney Holmes - Rfr. (5'11", 190)
Morris Gates - Sr. (5'9", 185)
Zach Stern - Sr. (6'2", 200)

Incoming:

Damien Washington - Fr. (6'1", 175)
Naijiel Hale - So. (5'11", 185)

Even if we don't get the Tolliver kid, I'm actually feeling fine about our cornerback depth. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few of these guys move to safety because....

Safeties returning:

Bryson McCabe - Jr. (6'0", 205)
Khari Garcia - Jr. (5'10", 195)
West Wilson - Jr. (5'11", 200)
Brayden Konkol - Rfr. (6'1", 200)
Tanner Hoff - Rfr. (6'1", 200)
Demonte King - So. (6'0", 190)

Not sure but King may be back with the team. Choate did follow him on twitter. I guess we will see this spring. The kid was put into a tough spot last year with unrealistic expectations put on his shoulders (along with other young freshman). Cannot believe Ash & Co. couldn't build better depth in the secondary over the last two years because it hurt us. King was not ready yet and it showed. Especially in the secondary, kids need time to develop. When you look back at the defense last year, it really is astonishing how young we were at so many key positions without any depth behind them.

Anyway, we have not landed a safety yet in recruiting and that definitely surprises me. We definitely offered some good ones but we didn't bring one in on a visit. It seems like a big DT and a safety were the two positions that Choate feels he can get a drop-down because I am not comfortable as a fan with either the DT and Safety depth. I have very high hopes for Brayden Konkol but Garcia and McCabe cannot do it all by themselves this year. Even though they were our best options at safety last year over King and Carter, they still had their fair share of learning moments. I thought Garcia improved throughout the year and he plays with tremendous passion. McCabe definitely improved his coverage skills, which were a weak point in his game coming onto the team. We need quality depth here and I hope we bring on outside talent before fall camp.
Last edited by VimSince03 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:19 am

VimSince03 wrote:Cornerbacks returning:

Incoming:

Even if we don't get the Tolliver kid, I'm actually feeling fine about our cornerback depth. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few of these guys move to safety because....

Safeties returning:

Not sure but King may be back with the team. Choate did follow him on twitter. I guess we will see this spring. The kid was put into a tough spot last year with unrealistic expectations put on his shoulders (along with other young freshman). Cannot believe Ash & Co. couldn't build better depth in the secondary over the last two years because it hurt us. King was not ready yet and it showed. Especially in the secondary, kids need time to develop. When you look back at the defense last year, it really is astonishing how young we were at so many key positions without any depth behind them.

Anyway, we have not landed a safety yet in recruiting and that definitely surprises me. We definitely offered some good ones but we didn't bring one in on a visit. It seems like a big DT and a safety were the two positions that Choate feels he can get a drop-down because I am not comfortable as a fan with either the DT and Safety depth. I have very high hopes for Brayden Konkol but Garcia and McCabe cannot do it all by themselves this year. Even though they were our best options at safety last year over King and Carter, they still had their fair share of learning moments. I thought Garcia improved throughout the year and he plays with tremendous passion. McCabe definitely improved his coverage skills, which were a weak point in his game coming onto the team. We need quality depth here and I hope we bring on outside talent before fall camp.
Wasn't there a really fast juco linebacker that switched to db midseason?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:23 am

LTown Cat wrote:

Incoming:

Safeties returning:

Yup forgot Zach Stern. Have no idea where the coaches are going to put him.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:26 am

VimSince03 wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:

Incoming:

Safeties returning:

Yup forgot Zach Stern. Have no idea where the coaches are going to put him.
I think he is running track this offseason as well.

If your left, you aren’t right.