Needs and Best of the rest?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Needs and Best of the rest?

Post by LIBBYCAT » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:31 pm

As the recruiting picture settles out and some players who are holding out for better offers start considering what's still on the table, I'm curious what you guys think.
After looking at what I feel were our needs vs the current commits I would like to see a couple more holes filled.

Crucial:
Drop down corner, hopefully a kid that is just buried on the depth chart with good speed, tackling & cover skills. Not quite a unicorn but close.

Drop down Interior d lineman: 280# run stopper that commands line of scrimmage to play alongside Yates.

HD running back, Newell is a senior and Lasane a junior next year. We have a couple of speed guys coupled with Opland but we need a short yardage back for the future.

Who knows what will happen over the next week and throughout the course of the spring but that is how I see it.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Needs and Best of the rest?

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:58 pm

still need a solid Highschool QB in this class for the future.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:04 pm

mslacatfan wrote:still need a solid Highschool QB in this class for the future.
Not as big of a need though with Hoy, Folsom, and McChesney. Like I would understand if we didn't get one this year because of getting Bruggmann. In my opinion, we still need:

Defensive tackle - a transfer or big high schooler preferably

Corners and Safeties - come one, come all

Tight end - one more

Other than that, we have covered our basis pretty well with in-state and out-of-state talent. Compared to the rest of the Big Sky, we are competing well.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:06 pm

Echoing the Db's. We need as many as we can get on top of a top-tier athlete. We need depth and experience there in a bad way.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

LIBBYCAT

Post by LIBBYCAT » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:28 pm

I know some have penciled in Balue as an outside linebacker, but could he play safety?

Not sure of the need at QB as several are currently on staff though that could change with the entrance of Bruggman.
TE seems at least manned if not deep with Barth, Amos, Brott, Sullivan, Brandom.

I meant no disrespect to our D line recruits from last year but for whatever reason they were unable to hit the field running.
I'm certain Clark will stick, I know Naotala suffered a severe concussion and was out for a while but not sure as to the readiness of the red shirts, or the balance of the recruits.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:40 pm

Agree with your assessment

From the recruiting thread, updated from from 1/11
JDoub wrote:summary as of today:

Bruggman, QB transfer
Neale, OL transfer
Tucker, RB
Mosley, OL
Simpson, OL
Pegues, RB
Washington, DB (Corner)
Marks, DE
Tucker, WR
Jobman, LB
Sessions, OL
Opland, RB - LB?
Padmos, K/P
Chapman, DE/OLB
Floden, OL
Kassis, WR
Tuiasosopo, OL
Kidd, DL
Benson, DL

6 OL
1 QB
3 RB
2 WR
________
12 Offensive recruits to add to the best offense in the Big Sky

1 DB
2 DE
1 LB
2 DL
-----------
6 Defensive recruits to add to the worst defense in the Big Sky

So where is the Defensive help going to come from????? Don't we need like 3 DT's and 3 DB's ??? Or do we think the cupboard is not bare?

so we added 2 DL since then, but no more DBs, our 2 biggest needs IMO

LIBBYCAT

Post by LIBBYCAT » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:13 pm

I understand those kids aren't hiding behind every rock and are only slightly less rare than unicorns but they are going to be necessary to make any move back towards the top of the Big Sky or FCS. Rather than turn this into a criticism of the current recruits, my intent was take a look at the board and call attention to needs that may sway kids leaning but not yet committed.

I.e. Theo Dawson, as a heavy back. Also any 2-3 star DB and safety prospects. The reason I mentioned the drop down d lineman was because of the need for size and physical maturity you don't get out of high school.

wonka1
New Recruit

Post by wonka1 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:24 pm

we are going to a 3 4 so we need a big fast nosequard

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:46 pm

There's really 2 ?'s;
...What is needed this year for next year?
...What is needed this year for down the road?

As far as next year, here's what is on the roster or comin';

QB; Bruggman, Hoy, Folsom, McChesney
RB; Newell, Brekke, Dodd, LaSane, Jones, James
OL; Folsom, Mahoney, Neale (edit), Flynn (knee?) Gillis/Brott, & Webster/Hanson/McFetridge/Wilkes
TE; Barth, Brandom, Amos
WR; Herbert/Sullivan/Sutton, Paige/Brown, Gates/Stephens

LB; loaded...enough depth & quality at least for next year
DL; Yates, Brownlow, Naotala, Huchins, Fa'anono, Jeffries, LaBoy, Clark
CB; Strong, Alley, Evans (Holmes, Harris, Gates)
DB; King, McCabe, Garcia (Holmes, Harris, Gates)

So just to comment on the next year ?, a transfer DT/NT either from D1 or JC is our greatest need by far IMO. I still think we are badly in need for a CB as well but not as much as a DT. If we could get Naijiel Hale that would fit absolutely perfect. I don't know if there are any DT transfer/dropdown or JC players on the radar but I believe that Coach Choate eluded to the fact that signing on NLoI day wasn't as important as signing the right players, so I suspect/hope/pray a DT would come in the spring. Plus if there is one major advantage to having Coach Choate as our new HC is that with his experience/connections the chance of getting a good DT somewhere out there from especially the D1 level or even the JC level is pretty good (although maybe that is just hope).

As far as a HS QB, since we lost 2 this year, getting 2 to maintain 5 on the roster will likely be the case, so I suspect a HS QB will be needed even though we will have a Jr and 3 Rf next year without a HS QB. Beyond a HS QB it appears that this years class is heavier on Offense than Defense so I'm thinking there will be more defensive players that are signed going forward.

Because I think our depth and quality of LB's is high, and our depth and quality of DL is not, going to a 3-4 on defense will be an easier than normal transition based on our personnel. For example, doesn't Hutchins fit perfect into a 3-4 scheme???
Last edited by The MICKSTER on Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:48 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:There's really 2 ?'s;

OL; Folsom, Mahoney, Flynn (knee?) Gillis/Brott, & Webster/Hanson/McFetridge/Wilkes
TE; Barth, Brandom, Amos

So just to comment on the next year ?, a transfer either from D1 or JC is our greatest need by far IMO. I still think we are badly in need for a CB as well but not as much as a DT. If we could get Naijiel Hale that would fit absolutely perfect. I don't know if there are any DT transfer/dropdown or JC players on the radar but I believe that Coach Choate eluded to the fact that signing on NLoI day wasn't as important as signing the right players, so I suspect/hope/pray a DT would come in the spring. Plus if there is one major advantage to having Coach Choate as our new HC is that with his experience/connections the chance of getting a good DT somewhere out there from especially the D1 level or even the JC level is pretty good (although maybe that is just hope).

As far as a HS QB, since we lost 2 this year, getting 2 to maintain 5 on the roster will likely be the case, so I suspect a HS QB will be needed even though we will have a Jr and 3 Rf next year without a HS QB. Beyond a HS QB it appears that this years class is heavier on Offense than Defense so I'm thinking there will be more defensive players that are signed going forward.

Because I think our depth and quality of LB's is high, and our depth and quality of DL is not, going to a 3-4 on defense will be an easy than normal transition based on our personnel. For example, doesn't Hutchins fit perfect into a 3-4 scheme???
Forgot Alex Neale on the offensive line. Started as a true freshman at UNLV in the Mountain West conference.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

The MICKSTER

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:54 pm

good catch....edited & added

DicTater

Post by DicTater » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:58 pm

VimSince03 wrote:

OL; Folsom, Mahoney, Flynn (knee?) Gillis/Brott, & Webster/Hanson/McFetridge/Wilkes
TE; Barth, Brandom, Amos

So just to comment on the next year ?, a transfer either from D1 or JC is our greatest need by far IMO. I still think we are badly in need for a CB as well but not as much as a DT. If we could get Naijiel Hale that would fit absolutely perfect. I don't know if there are any DT transfer/dropdown or JC players on the radar but I believe that Coach Choate eluded to the fact that signing on NLoI day wasn't as important as signing the right players, so I suspect/hope/pray a DT would come in the spring. Plus if there is one major advantage to having Coach Choate as our new HC is that with his experience/connections the chance of getting a good DT somewhere out there from especially the D1 level or even the JC level is pretty good (although maybe that is just hope).

Because I think our depth and quality of LB's is high, and our depth and quality of DL is not, going to a 3-4 on defense will be an easy than normal transition based on our personnel. For example, doesn't Hutchins fit perfect into a 3-4 scheme???
Forgot Alex Neale on the offensive line. Started as a true freshman at UNLV in the Mountain West conference.
also returning on the DL are Zach Wright, who played some as a redshirt freshman, and redshirt freshmen Riley Griffiths, Chris Robinson, Marcus Ferriter and Keegan Bray.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:58 pm

DicTater wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

TE; Barth, Brandom, Amos

also returning on the DL are Zach Wright, who played some as a redshirt freshman, and redshirt freshmen Riley Griffiths, Chris Robinson, Marcus Ferriter and Keegan Bray.
Watch out for Zach Wright

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:59 pm

The problem with running a 3-4 at this level is how hard it is to find an effective NT, and DE's of the proper size. The benefit is that it fits tweeners (Daly, Chapman) very well.

DicTater

Post by DicTater » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:01 pm

Wilson Brott, who played some as a redshirt freshman, while Austin Barth was hurt also returns at TE

The MICKSTER

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:12 pm

bobcat99 wrote:The problem with running a 3-4 at this level is how hard it is to find an effective NT, and DE's of the proper size. The benefit is that it fits tweeners (Daly, Chapman) very well.
I agree. Which emphasizes my point that we really really need a DT/NT to back-up/rotate with Yates next year in the middle. Right now who would be behind Yates on the two-deep chart at DT/NT? The fact that I don't see anybody that 'fits' that mold is why I think we need some immediate help there for next year.

I know I didn't account for everyone on the roster and some of you have made great comments on players that I didn't list that could and most likely will contribute next year. However, I didn't miss any CB's or DT/NT's which is why I think those are our immediate needs. GO FIND EM STAFF!

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:13 pm

Who was it said that Sullivan was moving to TE? That true?

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:28 pm

Agree with the OP

I'm very concerned without a DT drop down and some help in the secondary.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:09 pm

Where/when did Choate say he was going to a 3-4 ? Didn't both the Huskies and griz run a 4-3?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:13 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Where/when did Choate say he was going to a 3-4 ? Didn't both the Huskies and griz run a 4-3?
They ran a base 3-4 with Kwiatkowski. When he was there with Wilcox as D Coord. they ran a bunch of looks from 3-4 to 5-3 and beyond. But I'm not sure what he specifically wants to do as an overall scheme here.

*Sounds like he said it in his presser that he wants to run the 3-4. Will be interesting to see what Gregorak does with that.