2016 MSU Recruiting - 37 (13 Full/3 Part./12 PWO/9 Tranfers)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2016 MSU Recruiting - 21 (13 Full/3 Part./2 PWO/3 Tranfe

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:32 am

bobcat99 wrote:Pretty athletic based on his numbers from The Opening. Good lateral movements, really important for a LB.

Favorite part of the tape is the first play (I think) where he takes on a block, sheds it and tackles the back. So many HS players try to run around blocks, so it's good to see that. Good instincts. You can tell he has some issues seeing over the OL, but the instincts help with that. Like him at MLB...could be a 3 year starter IMO.
This is how I view this kid as well. Lateral movement is a huge thing for a linebacker. It basically tells you everything you need to know about the kids athleticism and their future ability to play linebacker at a higher level.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:03 pm

Really nice commit! Great instincts and you can tell he is well coached.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:25 am

Just listening to Choate on XL Country facebook feed. Sounds like we're going to have 4-5 JC and FBS transfers in this week on official visits.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:31 am

VimSince03 wrote:https://twitter.com/JuCoFootballACE/status/717875827560620036 Offered another JUCO DT. Brandon Hayashi is another big dude and is very good at the point of attack (based on his film). http://www.hudl.com/athlete/429916/brandon-hayashi

If I was a betting man, I bet a few of these late offers come up for the final spring game for visits. Here is a list of other JUCO DT's that our coaches are following on twitter that are unsigned:

Bentley Easley - 6'3", 315 lbs.
Fou Polataivao - 6'1", 305 lbs.
Robert Coleman - 6'2", 305 lbs. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2480524/robert-coleman
Sione Taufahema (MSU offered on 3/29) - 6'2", 320 lbs.
Joe Achour - 6'3", 290 lbs.
wbtfg wrote:Just listening to Choate on XL Country facebook feed. Sounds like we're going to have 4-5 JC and FBS transfers in this week on official visits.
Here comes the beef!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:19 am

Austin Barrette will be a preferred walk-on by the way. Also, Choate said during the XL Country interview that the team will release the PWO's after spring ball...so next week. Might be around 6-7 guys.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:30 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Austin Barrette will be a preferred walk-on by the way. Also, Choate said during the XL Country interview that the team will release the PWO's after spring ball...so next week. Might be around 6-7 guys.
That is correct. Austin told me he would sign this morning. MSU coaches corrected that report and said he is joining the team as a preferred walk-on but will receive academic aid.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:41 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:Austin Barrette will be a preferred walk-on by the way. Also, Choate said during the XL Country interview that the team will release the PWO's after spring ball...so next week. Might be around 6-7 guys.
That is correct. Austin told me he would sign this morning. MSU coaches corrected that report and said he is joining the team as a preferred walk-on but will receive academic aid.
So wouldn't that be a considered a "partial" Colter? Just want to know what the difference is.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:05 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
So wouldn't that be a considered a "partial" Colter? Just want to know what the difference is.
Colter probably knows way more about this than I, but there are different kinds of academic aid. Most of us are familiar with academic scholarships for specific subjects and good grades. There's also Pell grants and other money for low income, minority and students with disabilities. Some of those don't count against your allotted scholarships. I don't know the details.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:00 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Colter probably knows way more about this than I, but there are different kinds of academic aid. Most of us are familiar with academic scholarships for specific subjects and good grades. There's also Pell grants and other money for low income, minority and students with disabilities. Some of those don't count against your allotted scholarships. I don't know the details.
I believe academic aid is referring to him receiving scholarship money from MSU because of good grades. Financial aid would be Pell grants, students loans etc. And the athletic scholarship would be from the team's allotted scholarships. So it sounds to me like he is a PWO with good grades and will be receiving money from the school, but not the team for a scholarship.

BroncoCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BroncoCat » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:02 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
I believe academic aid is referring to him receiving scholarship money from MSU because of good grades. Financial aid would be Pell grants, students loans etc. And the athletic scholarship would be from the team's allotted scholarships. So it sounds to me like he is a PWO with good grades and will be receiving money from the school, but not the team for a scholarship.
Academic scholarships count as athletic scholarships, for allotment of our 65.
Source is different, but still counts.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:00 pm

BroncoCat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Scholarships are a form of financial aid, but not all financial aid counts against scholarships, such as need-based aid. It's complicated stuff, so the financial aid offices at most schools deal with it on a case-by-case basis.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:02 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
BroncoCat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Scholarships are a form of financial aid, but not all financial aid counts against scholarships, such as need-based aid. It's complicated stuff, so the financial aid offices at most schools deal with it on a case-by-case basis.
Regardless, he'll be a Bobcat. That is the most important thing. Really impressed with the tape.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:20 pm

Anybody have word on how the visits over the weekend went and who came?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:28 am

Opland went 6-5 in High Jump. He's 5-11.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:01 pm

I thought Opland going a half foot over his head in the high jump was something, and it is, but...
In 1994, a 5-6 kid won the Class C high jump with a height of 6-6 1/4 inches. His name is Glenn Cichosz from Hays/LodgePole. That's crazy.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:26 am

https://twitter.com/Bhayashi56/status/722645831342546945 https://twitter.com/staufahema94/status/721493470272032772 These are the other two JUCO defensive tackles we brought in last week. The first one is Brandon Hayashi and he will be a gem if we can get him. At 6'0", 310 lbs., he is a bowling ball of a defensive tackle. Strong as an ox at the point of attack and can move well for his size. Has already went on official visits to two other FCS programs in Gardner Webb and Eastern Illinois. He has two years left to play.

The second is Sione Taufahema. We talked about him on here about a few weeks ago when he said he was offered by us. He is definitely a run-stuffer at 315 lbs. but he probably won't have huge upside in the pass rush department. He needs some work on getting lower and playing with better technique. But if we do get him, he has three years to play I do believe.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:42 am

Just a guess, but I think we might only sign 1 JC DT and wait on a FBS transfer.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:55 pm

I'll update this as soon as the coaches reveal who the PWO's are. These are my demands. :-^

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:02 pm

Who we have as potential PWO's for the 2016 class (I say potentially because nothing has been official from MSU or the coaches though a few kids have been mentioned from the coaches):

Kamden Brown - QB (Covina, CA)
Connor Floden - OL (El Dorado, CA)
Luke Channer - OL (Corvallis, MT)
Nick Van Horssen - RB (Helena, MT)
Gabe Peppenger - K (Missoula, MT)
Will Martel - SS (Bozeman, MT)
Austin Barrette - MLB (Rancho Santa Margarita, CA)

In the Luke Channer article from the Bitterroot Star, it says:
He is also one of a very few football players who will have a ‘preferred walk-on’ at Montana State University this fall. Channer has been given one of 10 slots that carry this title. This guarantees him a spot on the roster at day one of training camp.
So it looks like we have three more out there that I don't know about.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:56 pm

Former UNLV O line.
https://twitter.com/crunchcarroll65/status/726111660654485504

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."