Ash's greatest strength

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Ash's greatest strength

Post by wbtfg » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:07 am

Ash had a lot of positives, but I think his greatest strength was how wide his coaching connections and how he was able to recruit and retain an amazing staff of assistant coaches. I really like the idea of Mac as the HC, but one thing I question with him is whether is coaching network is large enough to put together a quality staff beyond dudes that coached or played at MSU.

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Ash's greatest strength

Post by Counter Assault » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:10 am

Where did we get the Texas recruiting funnel from? Seems like we should keep that faucet running. Anybody have the answer to that?

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:12 am

Counter Assault wrote:Where did we get the Texas recruiting funnel from? Seems like we should keep that faucet running. Anybody have the answer to that?
Didn't that sort of begin with former assistant (and ex-Griz player) Justin Gaines, who was from Texas?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:14 am

John K wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:Where did we get the Texas recruiting funnel from? Seems like we should keep that faucet running. Anybody have the answer to that?
Didn't that sort of begin with former assistant (and ex-Griz player) Justin Gaines, who was from Texas?
Yeah, I think Justin Gaines got his foot in the door and then Ash made it a priority to continue to send coaches down there to recruit.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:26 am

Gaines started it and DePrato and Bo Beck have hit Texas hard the last few years.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:30 am

I think his connections are overstated tbh.

If we had this amazing staff, we wouldn't have 5 wins this year. An amazing staff either brings in a lot of talent, coaches up non-talented players, or both. So clearly something is missing, and it doesn't all lay on Ash and Marshall.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:33 am

bobcat99 wrote:I think his connections are overstated tbh.

If we had this amazing staff, we wouldn't have 5 wins this year. An amazing staff either brings in a lot of talent, coaches up non-talented players, or both. So clearly something is missing, and it doesn't all lay on Ash and Marshall.
I agree 100% with this. For some reason members of Ash's staff get a free pass on here, even though they may be the positional coach for groups that have struggled. There are several that I am just not as sold on as the majority on here are.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:13 pm

Ash's greatest strength is in recruiting QB's, If he had put as much emphasis on recruiting Defensive players we wouldn't be in the situation we are now.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:47 pm

cats2506 wrote:Ash's greatest strength is in recruiting QB's
This point is inarguable. He is a QB recruiting genius.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:34 pm

Not sure why we care about recruiting in Texas? We should be more like UM (Montana's team) and recruit only in-state kids. The Griz don't have a single player on their team from outside this state so why should we? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Punters are people too!!

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:47 pm

GoCats18 wrote:Not sure why we care about recruiting in Texas? We should be more like UM (Montana's team) and recruit only in-state kids. The Griz don't have a single player on their team from outside this state so why should we? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was actually wondering how many Montana kids were on the rosters of each of the teams on Saturday so I counted them in the Chronicle Rag insert. I tossed it away, but I think the Griz had 34 Montana kids and the Cats had 44 Montana kids on the rosters. Perhaps I miscounted but that is what I recall.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:49 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:Not sure why we care about recruiting in Texas? We should be more like UM (Montana's team) and recruit only in-state kids. The Griz don't have a single player on their team from outside this state so why should we? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was actually wondering how many Montana kids were on the rosters of each of the teams on Saturday so I counted them in the Chronicle Rag insert. I tossed it away, but I think the Griz had 34 Montana kids and the Cats had 44 Montana kids on the rosters. Perhaps I miscounted but that is what I recall.
probably about right

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:19 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:Not sure why we care about recruiting in Texas? We should be more like UM (Montana's team) and recruit only in-state kids. The Griz don't have a single player on their team from outside this state so why should we? [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]
It was 46 Cats, 29 griz, according to an article Colter wrote last week.