Ash for AD

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

livingstoncat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Ash for AD

Post by livingstoncat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:24 am

Apparently there is an online petition (out there somewhere in the internet world) to draft Ash as AD....Honestly, I kind of like the idea....

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Ash for AD

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:26 am

what a crazy sequence of events that would be..... But yes, I think he would make a great AD.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:27 am

livingstoncat wrote:Apparently there is an online petition (out there somewhere in the internet world) to draft Ash as AD....Honestly, I kind of like the idea....
I always thought he'd make a great AD, I'd much rather have him in that seat than Fields.

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:30 am

I'd fully support this.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

catsfan_769273
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catsfan_769273 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:32 am

The petition title should be anybody but fields. Ash would probably be a good ad.

Bornbobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bornbobcat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:34 am

I have always thought ash would make a great AD. I'm all for it.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:41 am

Except that he doesn't want to be an AD. Listen to his interview on Skyline.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:41 am

I would say this thread is over simplifing the AD position. I have no idea if Ash could do the position- does he know how to set and oversee policies, develop and oversee budgets, etc? He may have done this as a head coach, but it would be on a significantly smaller scale.
Don't get me wrong, I am not a Peter Fields fan, but just because everyone likes Ash doesn't mean he has the skill set to be an AD.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:41 am

livingstoncat wrote:Apparently there is an online petition (out there somewhere in the internet world) to draft Ash as AD....Honestly, I kind of like the idea....
Pretty sure he wants to be a football coach.

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:57 am

Maybe we could hire the Harvard guy because he is not allowed to win a Natty. Then, Harvard could hire Ash because he could keep their winning tradition alive and not have the pressure to be in the playoffs or win any championships.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:01 am

Counter Assault wrote:Maybe we could hire the Harvard guy because he is not allowed to win a Natty. Then, Harvard could hire Ash because he could keep their winning tradition alive and not have the pressure to be in the playoffs or win any championships.
Not exactly for the reasons you mentioned, but Ash actually would be a great Ivy League coach -- he has shown an ability to win despite being limited in the type (academic and behavioral) players he can recruit during his time at both Drake and MSU. His stoic temperament would probably not be criticized by a fanbase of a school like that, either. You could be on to something.

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:04 am

Actually, I was just trying to be sarcastic. I need to pick up my game.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:05 am

Counter Assault wrote:Actually, I was just trying to be sarcastic. I need to pick up my game.
I know you were -- that's why I wrote the first words in my post. But despite your sarcasm I think you stumbled upon a decent point.

TrueCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by TrueCat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:28 am

[quote="The Butcher"]I would say this thread is over simplifing the AD position. I have no idea if Ash could do the position- does he know how to set and oversee policies, develop and oversee budgets, etc? He may have done this as a head coach, but it would be on a significantly smaller scale.
Don't get me wrong, I am not a Peter Fields fan, but just because everyone likes Ash doesn't mean he has the skill set to be an AD.[/quote]

This. Weren't people knocking Ash for his "inability to take the program to the next level"? He is a bright and polished guy, but that does not mean he is suited to be an AD.

BobcatOninetails
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatOninetails » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:33 am

If Ash became AD he would hire Marshall to be the HC and then never fire him. HA!

"Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time." - Arnold H. Glasgow

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:33 am

TrueCat wrote:
The Butcher wrote:I would say this thread is over simplifing the AD position. I have no idea if Ash could do the position- does he know how to set and oversee policies, develop and oversee budgets, etc? He may have done this as a head coach, but it would be on a significantly smaller scale.
Don't get me wrong, I am not a Peter Fields fan, but just because everyone likes Ash doesn't mean he has the skill set to be an AD.
This. Weren't people knocking Ash for his "inability to take the program to the next level"? He is a bright and polished guy, but that does not mean he is suited to be an AD.
Most people have no idea what an AD does ... that's why ADs are the whipping boys of most fanbases and also why people think almost anybody could do the job.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:43 am

Plus, even if he did have aspirations to become an AD, do you think he'd want to continue working at MSU? I get the distinct impression that this was a very bitter pill for him to swallow. No matter how graciously it was handled, I'm quite certain that he feels his firing was very unfair and unjustified. If you were in his shoes, would you want to continue working for MSU? I don't know if bitter would be right description for what he's probably feeling right now, but it's probably something close to that.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:49 am

SonomaCat wrote:
TrueCat wrote:
The Butcher wrote:I would say this thread is over simplifing the AD position. I have no idea if Ash could do the position- does he know how to set and oversee policies, develop and oversee budgets, etc? He may have done this as a head coach, but it would be on a significantly smaller scale.
Most people have no idea what an AD does ... that's why ADs are the whipping boys of most fanbases and also why people think almost anybody could do the job.
Bingo.

catsfan_769273
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catsfan_769273 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:32 am

Hawks86 wrote:Except that he doesn't want to be an AD. Listen to his interview on Skyline.
He can still be offered he doesn't have to take the job it would be good to get rid of fields.

Heidi-jean
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Heidi-jean » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:17 pm

best idea yet...The AD job is the one that needs a serious look. I will say it again, the pink slip should have gone to PF.
Rob Ash would accomplish more good things in this position than the current clown hands down.