Careful what you wish for, you could get someone worse.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Lovethecats75
BobcatNation Team Captain

Careful what you wish for, you could get someone worse.

Post by Lovethecats75 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:53 am

This is a statement I dad told me several times as I was complaining about something. What are the chances this could happen?
Last edited by Lovethecats75 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Careful what you wish for, you could get someone worse.

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:35 am

Lovethecats75 wrote:This is a statement I dad told me several times as I was complaining about something. What are the chances this could happen?
of course it could happen. we could hire a guy that never wins a game and is fired in a couple years. or we could get a guy that get us a national championship. we have no idea. but i know that we shouldn't hold on to a guy forever simply because we're afraid we're incapable of getting someone better.

yes ash is a great guy. yes ash was a good coach. yes he had a great win/loss record. however, his record against the griz, his record against quality opponents, and his record in the playoffs is what did him in. i understand some fans are ok with losing to the griz and simply making the playoffs. and that's fine. but it's not crazy to think there are fans out there that think we should be able to beat the griz at least about half the time, beat good big sky teams like ewu, and make a semi-deep playoff run from time to time. maybe not lose the first game in the playoffs...especially at home.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:25 am

Lovethecats75 wrote:This is a statement I dad told me several times as I was complaining about something. What are the chances this could happen?
For sure. This is a huge risk, and one that I wasn't in favor of. The only thing we know for almost certain is that whoever the new coach is won't be any better at running a clean program and bringing in the quality character guys that Ash did. Not gonna happen. Will the new coach beat the griz more times, have a better than .700 winning percentage, win the Big Sky more often, and go further in the playoffs more often than Ash did? Time will tell, but the odds probably say no.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:30 am

This is a cliche' statement every time a coach is let go. We said the same thing with Mick Durham, Brad Huse, Kramer...etc. The idea of continuing to be mediocre and calling that good enough because we could be worse is small minded.

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:33 am

catatac wrote:
For sure. This is a huge risk, and one that I wasn't in favor of. The only thing we know for almost certain is that whoever the new coach is won't be any better at running a clean program and bringing in the quality character guys that Ash did. Not gonna happen. Will the new coach beat the griz more times, have a better than .700 winning percentage, win the Big Sky more often, and go further in the playoffs more often than Ash did? Time will tell, but the odds probably say no.
Your post was very well written and I think your points are reasonable...but there is a fundamental question that I would like to respectfully ask you: If not now...when?

Coach Ash was not going to be our coach forever. Eventually a change was going to happen; even if we had renewed his contract 3 more times, he would have eventually retired.

The 2013-Saturday slide is inarguable. I don't even care that we had a losing season; it was the pattern that had been developing over the past 36 months that had me concerned.

What the losing season DID do is provide a good opportunity for a fresh start, one that was pretty inevitable in the next five years regardless of your opinion on Coach Ash.

I have been among those who felt a change was necessary simply based on the patter that had been developing; I really liked Coach Ash, but I felt he had taken us as far as he was going to take us. With that said, I HATE how he ended up going out yesterday; I wish they had been able to reach a mutual agreement...I had convinced myself that was what was going to happen. But, NOTHING LASTS FOREVER!.

Looking forward to responses; and thank you

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:43 am

Why do so many people feel we are going to have such a hard time finding a quality coach to replace Ash? He was a great guy and was a perfect hire at the time but you make it sound like no one decent is going to want this job. We have a lot going for us at the FCS level. Attendance, facilities, location, campus, school president, boosters, etc. This job should be a highly sought after position right now. Think positive - what if we land the right guy instead of an almost guaranteed downgrade like many feel is inevitable? The sky is the limit and I think that is worth the risk.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln

CatsNoMatterWhat

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:46 am

WYCAT wrote:Why do so many people feel we are going to have such a hard time finding a quality coach to replace Ash? He was a great guy and was a perfect hire at the time but you make it sound like no one decent is going to want this job. We have a lot going for us at the FCS level. Attendance, facilities, location, campus, school president, boosters, etc. This job should be a highly sought after position right now. Think positive - what if we land the right guy instead of an almost guaranteed downgrade like many feel is inevitable? The sky is the limit and I think that is worth the risk.
I think you nailed it here. We'll attract some great great candidates; MSU is near the TOP of the FCS in terms of resources, game-day facilities (the year round facilities aren't really anything to scoff at), a beautiful growing campus and an avid fan base. It's a great job.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:47 am

I don't think that people don't think we can attract a good coach. I think people's concern is in our AD's decision making. We may attract the right guys, but will we hire the right guy.
I'm optimistic that we will.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

CatsNoMatterWhat

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:49 am

HelenaCat95 wrote:I don't think that people don't think we can attract a good coach. I think people's concern is in our AD's decision making. We may attract the right guys, but will we hire the right guy.
I'm optimistic that we will.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Agreed

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:55 am

WYCAT wrote:Why do so many people feel we are going to have such a hard time finding a quality coach to replace Ash? He was a great guy and was a perfect hire at the time but you make it sound like no one decent is going to want this job. We have a lot going for us at the FCS level. Attendance, facilities, location, campus, school president, boosters, etc. This job should be a highly sought after position right now. Think positive - what if we land the right guy instead of an almost guaranteed downgrade like many feel is inevitable? The sky is the limit and I think that is worth the risk.
Yes!! I agree completely with you and CNMW. It's been making me freakin' crazy reading all the comments from people that are convinced we're doomed to getting another Earle the Pearl as our next coach. CNMW makes a great point, in that we were going to be in this position fairly soon anyway, given that Ash is going on 65 years old. I can't imagine that Griz fans last year were going around fretting about their inability to attract a good coach, when that job was open. Our last three coaches have all done better than the guy they replaced. Why are we so convinced that trend can't continue? Ash did a very good job overall, despite the downward trend of the last 2-1/2 seasons, but some people are acting like he was the love child of Vince Lombardi and Knute Rockne, and that he's essentially irreplaceable. I can't guarantee the PF will hire the right guy, but if he doesn't, it won't be due to a lack of qualified candidates.

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by duelalumnicat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:35 am

Aside from the (likely) doomed new volleyball coach, Peter Fields' most recent hire was Coach Fish, a serious, big-time basketball coach on his way up who was hired after a nationwide search. I think Coach Fish was an excellent choice, and even though it is likely he won't be here long, he was exactly what the men's basketball program needed. Obviously, there are no guarantees, But given the fact that Peter Fields was able to find and hire Coach Fish to take over a men's basketball program that was in much worse shape than the football team, I am fairly confident that he will be able to find a good replacement for Coach Ash.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:54 am

catatac wrote:
I disagree. During Coach Ash's long tenure he has created a culture of integrity, a clean program and recruiting quality character guys. I believe that finding a person that will continue this culture will be a huge factor in the screening and hiring process. I strongly believe that this is one area that we all (MSU Administration and fans) want in the hiring of a new coach. Coach Ash has established that culture as a cornerstone of Bobcat athletics.

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:06 pm

catatac wrote:
I agree with you 100%. One thing that's for sure is that the message to the new coach is that winning is more important than anything else.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Spot on bcb

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

CatsNoMatterWhat

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:13 pm

catscat wrote:
catatac wrote:
I agree with you 100%. One thing that's for sure is that the message to the new coach is that winning is more important than anything else.
I just don't think that's the case. But, regularly winning the big games needs to be a priority; Peter was very clear during the presser...given the resources we dump into football (which are substantial), we should be in the top 10 at all times and in the mix for an NC every year. He also said that the unique academic standards inherent in MSU's land grant/stem status make this challenging; all of these factors must be embraced. You can't be in the top 10 if you don't at least split with EWU and UM (or whichever teams are the best in the BSC in a given year).

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:17 pm

catscat wrote:
catatac wrote:
I was just going to post this. You don't think candidates are going to look at the previous coach's record here and think, "Crap, the guy gets fired after one losing season in 9, playoffs in 5(?) of the 9 years and the longest top 25 run in FCS??" How long is that guy going to think he's going to hang on if he comes in and has a 5-6 year the first year and 6-5 the second? Guys' gotta figure he's got two, maybe three seasons here to figure it out or he's gone.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

catscat

Post by catscat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:26 pm

KittieKop wrote:
catscat wrote:
catatac wrote:
I was just going to post this. You don't think candidates are going to look at the previous coach's record here and think, "Crap, the guy gets fired after one losing season in 9, playoffs in 5(?) of the 9 years and the longest top 25 run in FCS??" How long is that guy going to think he's going to hang on if he comes in and has a 5-6 year the first year and 6-5 the second? Guys' gotta figure he's got two, maybe three seasons here to figure it out or he's gone.
I think your point is right on. HIs option is to bring in players of lesser character and academic quality in an attempt to win. Further, why would he even be around after a 5-6 or even 7-4 season his first year. My expectations (the new standard) are for much more than that next year.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:41 pm

catscat wrote:
catatac wrote:
And just to expand on this, what are the odds that the new coach will be able to, improve on the character of the players we're bringing in, do MORE in terms of player involvement in the community, IMPROVE the APR, have FEWER incidents, run ins with the law, have HIGHER graduation rates, bring in MORE $$ via doners and booster support, IMPROVE game day excitement and INCREASE average attendance.... and do all this while IMPROVING on a .700 winning percentage? Tall order.

For the record, I was starting to lean towards change in regime, but was willing to see what happened next season because I thing our D was improving and I believe we were poised for a title run. I am OK with a change in direction but just trying to point out that we are likely going to see steps back in certain areas.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:52 pm

Yes coach Ash has raised the bar high in many facets of the program If the new coach can come reasonably close to the high bar facets and improve on the low bar facets we'll be just fine.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

catscat

Post by catscat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:05 pm

catatac wrote:
catscat wrote:
catatac wrote:
And just to expand on this, what are the odds that the new coach will be able to, improve on the character of the players we're bringing in, do MORE in terms of player involvement in the community, IMPROVE the APR, have FEWER incidents, run ins with the law, have HIGHER graduation rates, bring in MORE $$ via doners and booster support, IMPROVE game day excitement and INCREASE average attendance.... and do all this while IMPROVING on a .700 winning percentage? Tall order.

For the record, I was starting to lean towards change in regime, but was willing to see what happened next season because I thing our D was improving and I believe we were poised for a title run. I am OK with a change in direction but just trying to point out that we are likely going to see steps back in certain areas.
I think too many people are not looking at the buzz saw in terms of opponents that this season became. We got Portland State, SUU and an up and coming UND in a year that we needed time to build the defense. Not to mention a blind official with his phantom, non-existant roughing the kicker penalty in Cat/griz - I maintain that without that penalty, the Cats win that game. How would the season have played out had we had Weber, No. Co., and/or Davis. I'm sure Eastern Wa's expectations weren't met either so I'm still waiting to get news of Baldwin's firing. As much as I hate losing, and especially losing to the griz (after yesterday, I feel like we lost to them twice this year), there are things that are also important (defined in your "tall order"). In my opinion, Coach Ash more than earned coaching next season. If it turned out like this one, then okay - let's have a direction change.