Did we get this right?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Buckets1234
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Did we get this right?

Post by Buckets1234 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:36 am

utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:I can agree that Fields shouldn't be here anymore but just watch next season. We will all see the benefit of moving on, Ash's teams underperform and they do it consistently. Watch a couple games next year before you second guess this decision.
Make a point why next year's team will perform better...without Ash
I've made my points about Ash many times on here. Perhaps you haven't read them or don't follow the opinions here as closely as others. The man was just fired and I don't feel it is appropriate to hammer out what was wrong with him. The decision has been made and I won't rub salt in the wound. Feel free to look at my past posts, I point out Ash's stats vs the top 25, vs the griz and in the playoffs. I list all the phenomenal talent we've had here and how that talent never translated to a more successful year than Kramer ever had. Look at where the program was at in Kramers first year vs his last and then compare that to Ash.

For those reasons I believe a new coach is going to yield immediate results. All 9 of Ash's teams had the same thing in common, him. My point will be made next season.
I haven't spent a lot of time on this board so I don't know your past history as far as posting your opinions. I happen to have a high opinion of Ash. If you're actually going to compare Kramer to Ash then I'll just bow out...you don't know much about football or more importantly, about making boys into men. Take 15 minutes and research the guys who have played and coached under Ash for the last 35 years and where they are now. It's embarrassing that this program fired a man like that. Period.
I know plenty about football but if you really can't see any reason at all why this situation occurred then I question if you know much. If you'd like I can make an extensive list for you of some of the boys Kramer coached and their long list of accomplishments as men. I think it was irresponsible to act like Kramer has not had a positive effect on many of his players in a similar manner to Ash. I'm sure many of his players would take exception with that comment.

I also have a high opinion of Ash as a person but think he had some shortcomings as a coach. Despite my opinion I continued to support the Cats no matter what. The decision has been made and I guess you get to decide what your attitude will be going forward but, as they say, there is no use crying over spilled milk.
I agree Kramer may have had a great affect on young men, and I apologize if I came off otherwise. I just think it is interesting to see where Ash's former players and coaches are now. And I just appreciate hearing him talk about his guys and how his guys talk about him, past and present. This is a sad day.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:43 am

Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:I can agree that Fields shouldn't be here anymore but just watch next season. We will all see the benefit of moving on, Ash's teams underperform and they do it consistently. Watch a couple games next year before you second guess this decision.
I've made my points about Ash many times on here. Perhaps you haven't read them or don't follow the opinions here as closely as others. The man was just fired and I don't feel it is appropriate to hammer out what was wrong with him. The decision has been made and I won't rub salt in the wound. Feel free to look at my past posts, I point out Ash's stats vs the top 25, vs the griz and in the playoffs. I list all the phenomenal talent we've had here and how that talent never translated to a more successful year than Kramer ever had. Look at where the program was at in Kramers first year vs his last and then compare that to Ash.

For those reasons I believe a new coach is going to yield immediate results. All 9 of Ash's teams had the same thing in common, him. My point will be made next season.
I haven't spent a lot of time on this board so I don't know your past history as far as posting your opinions. I happen to have a high opinion of Ash. If you're actually going to compare Kramer to Ash then I'll just bow out...you don't know much about football or more importantly, about making boys into men. Take 15 minutes and research the guys who have played and coached under Ash for the last 35 years and where they are now. It's embarrassing that this program fired a man like that. Period.
I know plenty about football but if you really can't see any reason at all why this situation occurred then I question if you know much. If you'd like I can make an extensive list for you of some of the boys Kramer coached and their long list of accomplishments as men. I think it was irresponsible to act like Kramer has not had a positive effect on many of his players in a similar manner to Ash. I'm sure many of his players would take exception with that comment.

I also have a high opinion of Ash as a person but think he had some shortcomings as a coach. Despite my opinion I continued to support the Cats no matter what. The decision has been made and I guess you get to decide what your attitude will be going forward but, as they say, there is no use crying over spilled milk.
I agree Kramer may have had a great affect on young men, and I apologize if I came off otherwise. I just think it is interesting to see where Ash's former players and coaches are now. And I just appreciate hearing him talk about his guys and how his guys talk about him, past and present. This is a sad day.
No doubt that many credit Ash with having a positive effect on their lives. I think if you look at this site as a whole you see that the majority have a ton of respect for Ash. Opinions are mixed about whether he should have had another year or not but most everyone has had nothing but good things to say about him as a man. I felt sad as well today, despite the fact that I've been hoping for a change. I'm optimistic about the future though and I think new blood will be a shot in the arm for our program.

Buckets1234
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Buckets1234 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:56 am

utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:

No doubt that many credit Ash with having a positive effect on their lives. I think if you look at this site as a whole you see that the majority have a ton of respect for Ash. Opinions are mixed about whether he should have had another year or not but most everyone has had nothing but good things to say about him as a man. I felt sad as well today, despite the fact that I've been hoping for a change. I'm optimistic about the future though and I think new blood will be a shot in the arm for our program.
Ok, I guess I just don't understand what seems like a change for the sake of change. The amount of people crying and distraught today at QB Club, which I know no one is supposed to talk about (although I feel like today is an exception), was astounding. The people who actually SUPPORT this program through QBC poured their heart out for Coach Ash tonight and I'm truly disappointed that he won't be our leader going forward.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:06 am

Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:

Ok, I guess I just don't understand what seems like a change for the sake of change. The amount of people crying and distraught today at QB Club, which I know no one is supposed to talk about (although I feel like today is an exception), was astounding. The people who actually SUPPORT this program through QBC poured their heart out for Coach Ash tonight and I'm truly disappointed that he won't be our leader going forward.
I get your frustration. I support the Cats through the Bobcat club but after paying for that and tickets I'm afraid I don't have enough free money to do more(got 3 kids to feed) I appreciate those that have the cash for the QBC although I don't value their opinion more than any other Cat fans.

Sucks that this was such a split decision, as far as the differing opinions on this. Although I think this was a necessary move, it makes it tough when you know how much Ash meant to many who love MSU. This truly was a tough day but I hope we look back on it and realize we are better for it.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:41 am

I think it was a huge mistake to let Ash go but only time will tell. This years recruiting class will take a hit, always does with a coaching change. If the next coach is really good it could take 2-3 years before we really know and if he is bad we will know next year.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

catsack
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catsack » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:15 am

utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:

Talent on paper doesn't mean ****** , players gotta play! Just because you hire a new coach means you're going to the NC next year. More than likely about the same type of record.

Granger
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Granger » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:32 am

utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:

I get your frustration. I support the Cats through the Bobcat club but after paying for that and tickets I'm afraid I don't have enough free money to do more(got 3 kids to feed) I appreciate those that have the cash for the QBC although I don't value their opinion more than any other Cat fans.

Sucks that this was such a split decision, as far as the differing opinions on this. Although I think this was a necessary move, it makes it tough when you know how much Ash meant to many who love MSU. This truly was a tough day but I hope we look back on it and realize we are better for it.
OK...I'll bite: So you don't think it's possible that at least some BQC members who spend 1 1/2 hours per week watching film and asking some hard questions, plus watching films on recruits and spring practices might have at least some better insight into certain situations than someone typing away in his mother's basement? Give me a break. Or is yours the only valuable opinion because you compile statistics? Now you can flame on.

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:05 pm

I strongly feel that this was an imprudent and myopic decision. I'm not going to cry over spilled milk and delve into why. I have done that before. Time will tell if I am wrong.

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:12 pm

DriscollCat wrote:I strongly feel that this was an imprudent and myopic decision. I'm not going to cry over spilled milk and delve into why. I have done that before. Time will tell if I am wrong.
I also feel that this was an imprudent and myopic decision. I think I may be a bit more bitter about it than you. As far as a winning football team, we may end up being wrong, but we will never be wrong for other reasons. I feel your pain and thank you for arguing so extensively prior to this happening. I regret that I didn't join you more in that endeavor.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:22 pm

Granger wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:

OK...I'll bite: So you don't think it's possible that at least some BQC members who spend 1 1/2 hours per week watching film and asking some hard questions, plus watching films on recruits and spring practices might have at least some better insight into certain situations than someone typing away in his mother's basement? Give me a break. Or is yours the only valuable opinion because you compile statistics? Now you can flame on.
You could have made your point without being insulting to people who aren't in the QBC. I won't dispute that QBC members may have a bit more "inside" info into the inner workings of the program, than non-members, but that doesn't mean that our opinions don't count. I've been to a few QBC meetings as a guest, and I agree that you can gain some insights that you wouldn't otherwise get. We all have to make choices about how we spend our discretionary income though, and most of us who aren't QBC members still contribute plenty of money and time to the program in other ways. I have been very actively involved in the Triangle Classic for the past 5-6 years. If you haven't, does that make me a better fan than you? Of course not!

catsfan_769273
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catsfan_769273 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:28 pm

allcat wrote:Wringing our hands and wondering what if is pointless. What's done is done. Should i have called that girl again? Should I have taken that job? Everyone lives with certain regrets, but if you dwell on it you are nuts.
The reason some people are questioning the decision is because the people who they are talking about considering have little to no experience in head coaching situations.

RationalGriz

Post by RationalGriz » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:35 pm

I think Ash came in and did everything MSU had hoped., over the first 6 years. But if anyone is wondering why it was time, all you have to do is look at the last 3 years. Ultimately it comes down to winning games, and as expectations rise, going 7-5, 8-5, and 5-6, struggling against EWU and UM, and the way the defense regressed is not going to cut it. As for Fields, I have no idea how he isn't gone too.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:49 pm

gtapp wrote:I think it was a huge mistake to let Ash go but only time will tell. This years recruiting class will take a hit, always does with a coaching change. If the next coach is really good it could take 2-3 years before we really know and if he is bad we will know next year.
Yep, we are rolling the dice. Oh well, it is MSU money that is in the pot on this one. It is going to be an interesting next 2-3 years.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:50 pm

Granger wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:

Glad to see we are all acting like adults today, my opinion doesn't mean anything more than anyone else's just like someone in the QBC shouldn't have an opinion that dominates the rest of bobcat nation. I know a few guys who are part of QBC and a couple of them know their stuff but a couple don't know sh!t either. All of them agreed with this decision though so I guess if their opinions are worth more perhaps you should be complaining at the next function.

NewEra

Post by NewEra » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:02 am

Platinumcat wrote:Was firing Ash the right action? I'm not sure I believe it is. Here's why:
1) Ran a clean program. When there was an issue it was dealt with.
2) Kept APR well above NCAA standards
3) Represented the University in a positive manner
4) Fielded teams that regularly won 8+ games a year.
5) Showed desire to improve the situation by making some personnel changes last year. What would he have done this off season? Showed much more aggression this year after constantly being called out in the past for being too conservative.

I get that we had a losing season, a tremendously disappointing season. But, my gut feeling to the fix just didn't include him being fired after this season.

Of course, I don't know what his relationship with his players, staff, administration was like. I can't help but wonder if it was strained in some way.
Yes I believe it was the best decision for the program. I have plenty of respect for Ash, but he had a hard time getting it done against top tier programs. He has plateaued and has little fire and emotion on the field which at times is hard to get behind, at least for me. Is it a gamble to fire the most winningest coach in bobcat history to find someone who can help the program beat the griz on a regular basis and get past the first round in playoffs? Absolutely, but a gamble that I am very happy we are making. You don't always win in life by playing it safe, you take chances and rebound if those chances don't play out.

Honestly I feel more sad for the asst coaches because their fate is so unclear and are less decorated, so finding a job won't be as easy for them if they are not retained. If Ash wants to continue coaching, he is respected enough that he won't have a hard time finding ba job. I hope he sticks around bozeman because he is a good man, and who knows maybe he can wait out a job within the athletic department when the time comes.

The grass isn't always greener, but with the history and resources MSU has I have no question cruzado will get someone in here to take what As has built to the next level.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:11 am

In a word, yes we did the right thing. If you want two words hell yes.

Something just isn't kosher. I'll leave it at that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Granger
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Granger » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:00 am

[Ok, I guess I just don't understand what seems like a change for the sake of change. The amount of people crying and distraught today at QB Club, which I know no one is supposed to talk about (although I feel like today is an exception), was astounding. The people who actually SUPPORT this program through QBC poured their heart out for Coach Ash tonight and I'm truly disappointed that he won't be our leader going forward.[/quote]

Sucks that this was such a split decision, as far as the differing opinions on this. Although I think this was a necessary move, it makes it tough when you know how much Ash meant to many who love MSU. This truly was a tough day but I hope we look back on it and realize we are better for it.[/quote]

OK...I'll bite: So you don't think it's possible that at least some BQC members who spend 1 1/2 hours per week watching film and asking some hard questions, plus watching films on recruits and spring practices might have at least some better insight into certain situations than someone typing away in his mother's basement? Give me a break. Or is yours the only valuable opinion because you compile statistics? Now you can flame on.[/quote]

Glad to see we are all acting like adults today, my opinion doesn't mean anything more than anyone else's just like someone in the QBC shouldn't have an opinion that dominates the rest of bobcat nation. I know a few guys who are part of QBC and a couple of them know their stuff but a couple don't know sh!t either. All of them agreed with this decision though so I guess if their opinions are worth more perhaps you should be complaining at the next function.[/quote]

Your response proves my point. Go back and read more comprehensively. And BTW, I know plenty of fans not in the BQC who "know their stuff" and plenty who don't. No one ever said anyone's opinion should dominate the rest of BN. Sometimes facts get in the way of a good bulletin board exchange. But I hope you and your family and all the BN have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:36 am

Just a few thoughts here.

For those that are still questioning why, this should esplain it a little better

We are season ticket holders and Bobcat Club members but in the grand scheme of things are small time. Before the um game I was surprised by the number of big boosters that I know that were saying that Ash needed a win to save his job. Its not that beating um was the only factor, but that given the totality of the record in the last few years that winning the game was about the only thing that could give him another year. I was actually surprised that Fields pulled the trigger and think that Cruzado had some input that pushed him to do it.

Ash is a very honorable man and not a bad coach but I think he had difficulty recruiting at this level. If you look above at the chart we had basically 3 good years under him, those 3 good years coincide with the maturity of Kramers last recruits and Ash's first recruiting year. He had 3 years building, 3 good years and 3 years in decline. That decline could not continue given the amount of resources that the university puts into the FB program and it visibility within the state.

MSU is a desirable program and there will be many good coaches that apply. The timing seems cruel to some but that is the nature of the beast, the change needed to be immediate in order to find a new coach and start recruiting the next class.

I will always hold Ash and his staff in high regard, he did great things for Bobcat football, I still Hold Kramer in high regard for all that he did too. Its time to move forward, I am sure that some players are disappointed but they will get a new coach and start getting ready for next year and they will move forward too, a few may leave the program but that happens too. No individual is greater than the team.

Fields has put himself in a position that they must find a high quality coach, and I believe that he will.

EDIT: in case someone does the math, the chart is based on regular season games vs FCS opponents only, I threw out FBS, DII and playoff games.
Last edited by cats2506 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:40 am

cats2506 wrote:Just a few thoughts here.

For those that are still questioning why, this should esplain it a little better

We are season ticket holders and Bobcat Club members but in the grand scheme of things are small time. Before the um game I was surprised by the number of big boosters that I know that were saying that Ash needed a win to save his job. Its not that beating um was the only factor, but that given the totality of the record in the last few years that winning the game was about the only thing that could give him another year. I was actually surprised that Fields pulled the trigger and think that Cruzado had some input that pushed him to do it.

Ash is a very honorable man and not a bad coach but I think he had difficulty recruiting at this level. If you look above at the chart we had basically 3 good years under him, those 3 good years coincide with the maturity of Kramers last recruits and Ash's first recruiting year. He had 3 years building, 3 good years and 3 years in decline. That decline could not continue given the amount of resources that the university puts into the FB program and it visibility within the state.

MSU is a desirable program and there will be many good coaches that apply. The timing seems cruel to some but that is the nature of the beast, the change needed to be immediate in order to find a new coach and start recruiting the next class.

I will always hold Ash and his staff in high regard, he did great things for Bobcat football, I still Hold Kramer in high regard for all that he did too. Its time to move forward, I am sure that some players are disappointed but they will get a new coach and start getting ready for next year and they will move forward too, a few may leave the program but that happens too. No individual is greater than the team.

Fields has put himself in a position that they must find a high quality coach, and I believe that he will.
Excellent post...very well stated, especially the part about his three good years being the result of a couple of outstanding recruiting classes. I've always believed that Kramer's last class in 2007 was far and away his best class ever, and maybe even better than any of Ash's classes. Then we had McGhee, Kirk, Tanner Bleskin, and Brad Daly that were all part of the same class. That group holds virtually every career offensive record, and also includes a Buck winner. Once that group cycled through, we haven't been able to replicate that success.