Bobcat Unity will be CRITICAL

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Bobcat Unity will be CRITICAL

Post by aucat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:13 pm

Well the decision has been made. I think everyone agrees that Rob Ash is an outstanding person who accomplished
some great things at MSU. But that era is now over and it seems to me that while all this speculation on potential candidates makes
for fun discussion and opinion, I truly do hope that the vast majority of Cat fans will allow the process to play out and then unify behind the new coach who
is selected. I believe that a unified Montana State University going forward is going to be a force to deal with.
Go Cats

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Bobcat Unity will be CRITICAL

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:20 pm

aucat wrote:Well the decision has been made. I think everyone agrees that Rob Ash is an outstanding person who accomplished
some great things at MSU. But that era is now over and it seems to me that while all this speculation on potential candidates makes
for fun discussion and opinion, I truly do hope that the vast majority of Cat fans will allow the process to play out and then unify behind the new coach who
is selected. I believe that a unified Montana State University going forward is going to be a force to deal with.
Go Cats
I agree 100%. Whether you love, like, dislike, or hate the hire that will be made in the coming weeks, the players need to know the fans are excited for the new perspective, voice, and energy the new coach will bring, and most importantly, we are excited to see them take the field in 8 months so we can start cheering again. This is where the great fan bases separate themselves from the good, bad, and awful ones.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:23 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
aucat wrote:Well the decision has been made. I think everyone agrees that Rob Ash is an outstanding person who accomplished
Go Cats
I agree 100%. Whether you love, like, dislike, or hate the hire that will be made in the coming weeks, the players need to know the fans are excited for the new perspective, voice, and energy the new coach will bring, and most importantly, we are excited to see them take the field in 8 months so we can start cheering again. This is where the great fan bases separate themselves from the good, bad, and awful ones.
Ok so now that the fire Ash crowd got their way, those of us opposed to the move just have to fall in line? we're all supposed to jump for joy that the winningest coach in program history was fired by our bean counter in chief? Sure I'll support our players, but our next coach better not have a losing season or 2, or Fields and him have to be fired if you want to maintain any credibility. Color me very skeptical.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:30 pm

The Captains (newell and prukop) along with other team leaders will really need to step up and help keep the team together... that is probably as important as anything.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:31 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Go Cats
Ok so now that the fire Ash crowd got their way, those of us opposed to the move just have to fall in line? we're all supposed to jump for joy that the winningest coach in program history was fired by our bean counter in chief? Sure I'll support our players, but our next coach better not have a losing season or 2, or Fields and him have to be fired if you want to maintain any credibility. Color me very skeptical.
I agree. Mighty hypocritical that 1 day ago people were talking about dropping monetary support to the university and doing everything possible to tear this program apart at the seams. But now that the coach is fired we're supposed to hold hands and hug each other? I know its best for the athletes and the university, and I actually agree that we need to stand together in this search, but you gotta admit some people around here have quite a set to start with the "Can't we all just get along" routine after the last three or four weeks of personal attacks against Coach Ash. Some of you did some great work to divide this fan base. You're going to have to live with some animosity for awhile. Its not that easy. But I'm sure the haters would have "come together behind the team" had Ash been retained for another year. Yeah, right.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:43 pm

KittieKop wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Go Cats
I agree. Mighty hypocritical that 1 day ago people were talking about dropping monetary support to the university and doing everything possible to tear this program apart at the seams. But now that the coach is fired we're supposed to hold hands and hug each other? I know its best for the athletes and the university, and I actually agree that we need to stand together in this search, but you gotta admit some people around here have quite a set to start with the "Can't we all just get along" routine after the last three or four weeks of personal attacks against Coach Ash. Some of you did some great work to divide this fan base. You're going to have to live with some animosity for awhile. Its not that easy. But I'm sure the haters would have "come together behind the team" had Ash been retained for another year. Yeah, right.
Yep, and there will be monetary support lost due to this decision as well, no matter the noise from some. And you're also correct, it was personal against a man of great integrity (questioning his desire, will, intellect, etc.) I think it was wrong, so for me, keep your unity for another day.

CatsNoMatterWhat

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:46 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Go Cats
There has been (in my opinion) a very healthy discussion on this message board regarding Coach Ash's future. I posted Saturday evening that us "re constructionists" (again, HT to Driscoll for the term) fell into 2 categories:

1) Those who have a GREAT appreciation for Coach Ash, his character, his success, and what he's done; but we feel that nothing lasts forever and it is simply time for a change
2) Those who wanted to witness a bloody, public execution and embarrassment of a good man (the angry crowd)

I have gone to GREAT LENGTHS to ensure I stay aligned with the first group. Others have not. I have felt very melancholy all day today, particularly because I had myself convinced Coach Ash would choose to resign and that agreement would be worked out. Instead, he fought to the end, apparently unhappy with the decision. Be that as it may, I feel the correct decision was made for a number of reasons. I will gladly copy/paste my long explanation of my feelings (which were seen as reasonable by several avid Ash supporters) at anybody's request.

Credibility is earned through rational behavior and consistency, blended with a willingness to admit fault. If Fields makes a poor hire, we fall into obscurity, and the whole thing becomes a gigantic mess...I, along with all the other people who have shared my feelings, will admit I was wrong.

What I won't do is preemptively pigeonhole myself or anybody else into a train of thought that says "if this doesn't work out JUST RIGHT then I'm an ignoramus", because that wouldn't be the case. Opinions are based on observation; the observation over the past three years is we have had an aging coach who has been unable--try as he has--to correct a slide. Nothing last forever.

Please don't lump reasonable people together with unreasonable people simply because we share a common premise.

Thank you

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:52 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Go Cats
Yep, and there will be monetary support lost due to this decision as well, no matter the noise from some. And you're also correct, it was personal against a man of great integrity (questioning his desire, will, intellect, etc.) I think it was wrong, so for me, keep your unity for another day.
Count me in with you guys on this one (GoldstoneCat and KittieKop), this divisiveness from the anti-Ash crowd has been going on for years now so the expectation to unify is rather two-faced. In addition, since it was this very same anti-Ash crowd that adamently insisted we needed a coach that showed emotinal fire on the sidelines and everything would be alright, we ought not need to unify because we will have a HC that can win because of his mouth (the "pusher" comes to mind and one only need look as far as this year's DC coordinator to see how well that argument worked).

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:01 am

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Go Cats
There has been (in my opinion) a very healthy discussion on this message board regarding Coach Ash's future. I posted Saturday evening that us "re constructionists" (again, HT to Driscoll for the term) fell into 2 categories:

1) Those who have a GREAT appreciation for Coach Ash, his character, his success, and what he's done; but we feel that nothing lasts forever and it is simply time for a change
2) Those who wanted to witness a bloody, public execution and embarrassment of a good man (the angry crowd)

I have gone to GREAT LENGTHS to ensure I stay aligned with the first group. Others have not. I have felt very melancholy all day today, particularly because I had myself convinced Coach Ash would choose to resign and that agreement would be worked out. Instead, he fought to the end, apparently unhappy with the decision. Be that as it may, I feel the correct decision was made for a number of reasons. I will gladly copy/paste my long explanation of my feelings (which were seen as reasonable by several avid Ash supporters) at anybody's request.

Credibility is earned through rational behavior and consistency, blended with a willingness to admit fault. If Fields makes a poor hire, we fall into obscurity, and the whole thing becomes a gigantic mess...I, along with all the other people who have shared my feelings, will admit I was wrong.

What I won't do is preemptively pigeonhole myself or anybody else into a train of thought that says "if this doesn't work out JUST RIGHT then I'm an ignoramus", because that wouldn't be the case. Opinions are based on observation; the observation over the past three years is we have had an aging coach who has been unable--try as he has--to correct a slide. Nothing last forever.

Please don't lump reasonable people together with unreasonable people simply because we share a common premise.

Thank you
In the conversation I had with you just yesterday I totally agree and respect where you're standing. I would also argue that what ended up happening was closer to the public execution that the haters have been blood thirsty for, than to the graceful, peaceful passing of the torch you supported. Like I said yesterday, I'm probably leaning to the opinion a change was soon needed, but not like this. And for people to come back today and try to assure some of us that everything's OK if we just stick together. The nerve. Some of us are a little angry and disappointed in how this played out. Frankly, rather than sticking together, I have some ideas where the vile haters can stick it.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

CatsNoMatterWhat

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:07 am

KittieKop wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Go Cats

Thank you
In the conversation I had with you just yesterday I totally agree and respect where you're standing. I would also argue that what ended up happening was closer to the public execution that the haters have been blood thirsty for, than to the graceful, peaceful passing of the torch you supported. Like I said yesterday, I'm probably leaning to the opinion a change was soon needed, but not like this. And for people to come back today and try to assure some of us that everything's OK if we just stick together. The nerve. Some of us are a little angry and disappointed in how this played out. Frankly, rather than sticking together, I have some ideas where the vile haters can stick it.
I'm not happy with the way it went down today either. I wish it hadn't gone that way; and I will be quick to correct anybody I observe dancing on Coach Ash's proverbial grave. I would hope other Cats who LOVE the school, the program, and the players would do the same.

I respect your passion and, frankly, agree with your assessment of the vampires.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:13 am

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Go Cats

Thank you
I'm not happy with the way it went down today either. I wish it hadn't gone that way; and I will be quick to correct anybody I observe dancing on Coach Ash's proverbial grave. I would hope other Cats who LOVE the school, the program, and the players would do the same.

I respect your passion and, frankly, agree with your assessment of the vampires.
I'll repeat what I said yesterday - I like you! :thumbup: You and I see eye to eye.

CatsNoMatterWhat

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:15 am

KittieKop wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Go Cats

Thank you

I'll repeat what I said yesterday - I like you! :thumbup: You and I see eye to eye.
Feelings mutual, I enjoy you're posts.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:56 am

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Go Cats

Thank you

You guys know my opinion but despite the fact that I was ready for change I never felt like we weren't unified before the change happened. I was at each game hoping and yelling as loud as I could. When some stated they were done with financial support I disagreed with that. I understand your frustration, I was frustrated with seeing what I thought was an obvious need to move on but when that didn't happen I still stood with the Cat fans who might have still wanted Ash at the helm.

The boat has been rocked and I don't blame anyone for being upset about the way things have played out but when the rubber meets the road we better be unified and ready to move onto the next game.

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:05 am

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Go Cats

Thank you

+1000

The hypocrisy on this site since yesterday has been mind boggling.,,,,from castrating the man to saying what an all-time great he is.....amazing.

That being said, I also agree with the premise of this thread....like it or not we are getting a new coach. We all need to buy into what he will be selling to make sure the ship doesn't sink.

GO CATS.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

Granger
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Granger » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:01 am

I mean this with all sincerity and no malice toward the "fire Ash now" crowd, but if you really want to maximize support for the football program, do whatever you can to join the QB Club. I know not everyone can manage it but it is a charitable contribution which helped me rationalize the decision to join back in early 2002. I believe there are payment plans available. Any message board spews misinformation and BN is no exception at times but it is amazing what you learn from watching the film and asking the questions, and then forming your opinion. I will probably be flamed by some for having so few posts but I will put my MSU bonafides up against just about anyone, beginning in 1972. Go Cats and thank you Coach Ash and staff.

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:48 am

This thread:

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:51 am

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Go Cats

Thank you
Thanks CNMW. That was a great post. You expressed my own feelings about this situation perfectly. I too felt very melancholy yesterday, even though I believe we made the right decision. As for those who criticize "the way it was handled"...how else could it have been handled? I don't know this for a fact, but I'd be willing to bet that Ash was given the option to "retire", as opposed to being terminated, given that he's going on 65 years old, but that he chose to decline that option. I found nothing objectionable or disrespectful to Ash, in the way PF handled the announcement yesterday, and I'm no PF fan, so I would be happy to point out fault, if I felt it was deserved. Once the decision is made, there's really no good way to deliver the news, either to Ash himself or the media, but I thought PF handled it as graciously as possible, given the circumstances.

As for Bobcat fans uniting, I'd ask everyone to remember how controversial the Kramer firing was 8-1/2 years ago. Controversial enough,, that a petition was circulated to rehire him, which was signed by several hundred (maybe closer to 1,000) boosters and fans. We survived that though, as everyone eventually united behind Coach Ash, and Bobcat nation emerged stronger than ever. I hope things will play out the same way this time.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:02 pm

I don't think everyone ever did unite behind Ash, even 9 years later. People still compared Ash to Kramer and hell, there were people campaigning just last year that Ash should be canned and hire Kramer back. I think there's a great correlation between people believing Kramer should not have been terminated and the crowd pushing for Ash's termination the last several years. Remember that as well, this can Ash talk didn't start the last three weeks. There has been a vocal minority on that bandwagon for years. Kind of a perverse, "You fired my guy, I want your guy fired" thing.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:14 pm

KittieKop wrote:I don't think everyone ever did unite behind Ash, even 9 years later. People still compared Ash to Kramer and hell, there were people campaigning just last year that Ash should be canned and hire Kramer back. I think there's a great correlation between people believing Kramer should not have been terminated and the crowd pushing for Ash's termination the last several years. Remember that as well, this can Ash talk didn't start the last three weeks. There has been a vocal minority on that bandwagon for years. Kind of a perverse, "You fired my guy, I want your guy fired" thing.
Judging by the fact that we regularly draw 18,000 plus to the games, and the Bobcat Club and QB Club membership has grown throughout his tenure, I'd say that the overwhelming majority of Bobcat fans did unite behind Ash. I disagreed with Kramer's firing, and I've been plenty critical of Ash at various times over the years, although I never once called for him to be fired. Even now, I have slightly mixed feelings about it, although deep down I believe we made the right decision yesterday. My support for Bobcat football has never wavered though. I missed only three home games during Ash's tenure, and even made quite a few (8-10) road games. I've been very involved in the Triangle Classic for the past 5-6 years, which by the way has also grown significantly during Ash's tenure. So it seems all that support came from somewhere, and I'd be willing to bet that more than a few "Kramer guys" such as myself, have contributed in various ways to the growth of the program during Ash's time at MSU.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:20 pm

John K wrote:
KittieKop wrote:I don't think everyone ever did unite behind Ash, even 9 years later. People still compared Ash to Kramer and hell, there were people campaigning just last year that Ash should be canned and hire Kramer back. I think there's a great correlation between people believing Kramer should not have been terminated and the crowd pushing for Ash's termination the last several years. Remember that as well, this can Ash talk didn't start the last three weeks. There has been a vocal minority on that bandwagon for years. Kind of a perverse, "You fired my guy, I want your guy fired" thing.
Judging by the fact that we regularly draw 18,000 plus to the games, and the Bobcat Club and QB Club membership has grown throughout his tenure, I'd say that the overwhelming majority of Bobcat fans did unite behind Ash. I disagreed with Kramer's firing, and I've been plenty critical of Ash at various times over the years, although I never once called for him to be fired. Even now, I have slightly mixed feelings about it, although deep down I believe we made the right decision yesterday. My support for Bobcat football has never wavered though. I missed only three home games during Ash's tenure, and even made quite a few (8-10) road games. I've been very involved in the Triangle Classic for the past 5-6 years, which by the way has also grown significantly during Ash's tenure. So it seems all that support came from somewhere, and I'd be willing to bet that more than a few "Kramer guys" such as myself, have contributed in various ways to the growth of the program during Ash's time at MSU.
Thanks for the reply - and thanks for all your support over the years. Sincere question - how do you imagine this decision came to pass? I mean, do you suppose Fields and Cruzado have been fielding angry emails and calls from big donors, player's families, etc - and this was a pressured decision? Or do you think this was a sincere job performance-evaluated dismissal? Or somewhere in between?