It should be an outside hire...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Buckets1234
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: It should be an outside hire...

Post by Buckets1234 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:26 am

utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:As far as Fields is concerned we will be able to measure him very soon. He has cut Ash loose and now we have an opening within our marquee athletic program. Who Fields hires and how that decision effects the future of this program will write his spot in Bobcat history, atleast in my mind.
Yeah that definitely makes sense considering PF was named AD, fired Kramer, and then hired Ash, and has now fired him, for what exactly? Why isn't Fields also on the chopping block? He was Ash's AD for all nine years and he should be equally responsible. He somehow survived Kramer's firing, but isn't he just as responsible for not beating UM as much as we apparently need to? Football is held to a "higher standard" at MSU, according to Fields...when is it time that he is as well?
I can agree that at the time of Kramer's dismissal Fields should have gone as well but that didn't happen. I like the direction both men's and women's bball is headed. Like it or not Fields deserves credit for those hires. He is our AD and as a Cat fan I hope he does a good job with this hire as well and if he succeeds I may be forced to rethink my long held opinion about him.
What direction is it that you like exactly? I guess sub .500 seasons are no big deal unless it happens once in nine years, so both those coaches should be fine. Or wait, is my math not good?

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:37 am

Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:As far as Fields is concerned we will be able to measure him very soon. He has cut Ash loose and now we have an opening within our marquee athletic program. Who Fields hires and how that decision effects the future of this program will write his spot in Bobcat history, atleast in my mind.
Yeah that definitely makes sense considering PF was named AD, fired Kramer, and then hired Ash, and has now fired him, for what exactly? Why isn't Fields also on the chopping block? He was Ash's AD for all nine years and he should be equally responsible. He somehow survived Kramer's firing, but isn't he just as responsible for not beating UM as much as we apparently need to? Football is held to a "higher standard" at MSU, according to Fields...when is it time that he is as well?
I can agree that at the time of Kramer's dismissal Fields should have gone as well but that didn't happen. I like the direction both men's and women's bball is headed. Like it or not Fields deserves credit for those hires. He is our AD and as a Cat fan I hope he does a good job with this hire as well and if he succeeds I may be forced to rethink my long held opinion about him.
What direction is it that you like exactly? I guess sub .500 seasons are no big deal unless it happens once in nine years, so both those coaches should be fine. Or wait, is my math not good?
Really? What type of program did Fish take over? You don't just start winning overnight but if you would calm down a bit and look at this reasonably you'd see that both bball programs are getting better. There is finally reason for optimism with those programs. The football team is not experiencing the same upward trend, as Cramsey said, 5-6 is not acceptable with our resources.

Obviously you didn't like the decision to move on and I respect your opinion but realize that Ash had 9 years to stop this from happening. We finished near the bottom of the conference and if you consider that we played 2 games against teams that couldn't possibly beat us this year looks even worse.

Buckets1234
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Buckets1234 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:50 am

utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
Really? What type of program did Fish take over? You don't just start winning overnight but if you would calm down a bit and look at this reasonably you'd see that both bball programs are getting better. There is finally reason for optimism with those programs. The football team is not experiencing the same upward trend, as Cramsey said, 5-6 is not acceptable with our resources.

Obviously you didn't like the decision to move on and I respect your opinion but realize that Ash had 9 years to stop this from happening. We finished near the bottom of the conference and if you consider that we played 2 games against teams that couldn't possibly beat us this year looks even worse.
So you're basing it on what you take over? So what credit does Ash deserve? A pat on the back for saving us from more sanctions, losing for three years to UM while we suffered through scholarship losses, practice time reductions and off-season workout penalties? Not to mention UM had one of the the top two programs in the country during that period. Kramer buried the program and Ash built it back too quickly is basically what you're saying...? He lost himself the job because he won too quickly, it's ridiculous.

He didn't have nine years to stop this from happening (like you said) he lost for one season and PF got happy feet. What a stupid thing to say that he had nine years to stop this from happening, he won conference championships and made the playoffs four of five years. That isn't having nine years to stop something from happening.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:12 am

Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:

So you're basing it on what you take over? So what credit does Ash deserve? A pat on the back for saving us from more sanctions, losing for three years to UM while we suffered through scholarship losses, practice time reductions and off-season workout penalties? Not to mention UM had one of the the top two programs in the country during that period. Kramer buried the program and Ash built it back too quickly is basically what you're saying...? He lost himself the job because he won too quickly, it's ridiculous.

He didn't have nine years to stop this from happening (like you said) he lost for one season and PF got happy feet. What a stupid thing to say that he had nine years to stop this from happening, he won conference championships and made the playoffs four of five years. That isn't having nine years to stop something from happening.
I'm trying to not get in to this argument because as I've already said, Ash has been released and I see absolutely no point in rehashing why I was in agreement with that decision. I respect Ash and am thankful for his time here. If you really want to know why many wanted to see a change there is plenty of comments here and many using facts about Ash's tenure to back their opinion. Take a look if you like but I'm moving my comments to the future of the program instead of arguing about the past.

77matcat
Member # Retired

It should be an outside hire...

Post by 77matcat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:13 am

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122] leave the dead horse alone. It's dead.

As far as PF goes, my guess he's on notice. Tough to take on more than one vice (problem) at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

webdav
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by webdav » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:25 pm

I'd take Grinch if it means we're still playing at Christmas. :D

Mosey cue
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Mosey cue » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:42 pm

I think everyone is teaching if they think a coach making $400,000 plus bonuses is going to come to MSU. Not a Griz fan, but they have better history, and had to go down a level to get a coach who has never an iffy playoff record.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk