Names for New HC?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bowmat65
New Recruit

Re: Names for New HC?

Post by bowmat65 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:10 pm

wbtfg wrote:
bowmat65 wrote:Probably a long shot since he is making good money at WSU, but what about Mike Breske. He is an awesome defensive coordinator and more than ready to be a head coach at this level, IMO.
Here's an entire thread devoted to Mike Breske.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=37240

Thank you wbtfg, I totally missed that part of the thread.

RationalGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RationalGriz » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:26 pm

Macneil4025 wrote:Just so I understand this correctly, the dude had a run in with the law, and because of this he should only be allowed to coach football at CSU-Pueblo? Get over yourself!! Actually, do me a favor and email me your driver license # so I can run a background check on you. My guess is alcohol probably plaid a role in this situation! WSU sure didn't have a problem hiring Mike Leach, look what there program is doing! As a proud graduate of Montana State University I would have no problem if they hired John Wristen, PERIOD!
You are missing the point. Both MSU and UM within the last 10 years have had substantial issues with problems within their football programs that reflected poorly on both institutions. Ash was hired by MSU to clean up the program, which he had done very well. Now if you fire that guy and hire a guy with a noted character issue himself, many people are going to look at it as though winning is more important than running a clean, law abiding program. This is why it seems unlikely that the President would sign off on this hire. Wristen was probably at the top of UM's list last season, but this one incident really kept him from ever having a chance.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:30 pm

Macneil4025 wrote:Just so I understand this correctly, the dude had a run in with the law, and because of this he should only be allowed to coach football at CSU-Pueblo? Get over yourself!! Actually, do me a favor and email me your driver license # so I can run a background check on you. My guess is alcohol probably plaid a role in this situation! WSU sure didn't have a problem hiring Mike Leach, look what there program is doing! As a proud graduate of Montana State University I would have no problem if they hired John Wristen, PERIOD!
I'm saying that he likely won't be a legitimate candidate in the eyes of Peter Fields and Waded Cruzado because of this. I'm not passing and judgement and i'm not saying he should or shouldn't get the job. I'm just saying he has some bumps in his past that likely won't be overlooked by those who make the decisions.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:34 pm

wbtfg wrote:
I'm saying that he likely won't be a legitimate candidate in the eyes of Peter Fields and Waded Cruzado because of this. I'm not passing and judgement and i'm not saying he should or shouldn't get the job. I'm just saying he has some bumps in his past that likely won't be overlooked by those who make the decisions.
The real challenge here is that its all about PR. If MSU hires a coach and the headline upon their hiring is, "MSU hires accused domestic abuser as head football coach," then it's a nightmare for MSU (and not just the football team ... but actually for the far more important parts of the university as well). I feel for the coach -- reading the article and now knowing how long ago it was it seems like he should be due for a pass. But society is VERY touchy about domestic assault, especially in sports.

I wouldn't be upset if he got the job, but I would be concerned about how the press would react with the news. And then if it ever happened again while he was a coach at MSU? All hell would break loose and we'd probably be looking at a fired President.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:38 pm

RationalGriz wrote:
You are missing the point. Both MSU and UM within the last 10 years have had substantial issues with problems within their football programs that reflected poorly on both institutions. Ash was hired by MSU to clean up the program, which he had done very well. Now if you fire that guy and hire a guy with a noted character issue himself, many people are going to look at it as though winning is more important than running a clean, law abiding program. This is why it seems unlikely that the President would sign off on this hire. Wristen was probably at the top of UM's list last season, but this one incident really kept him from ever having a chance.
I believe you're right. I can't imagine that he'll be seriously considered for the job. I personally don't agree, but it's the way it is. If this had happened recently (and I suppose we all have varying definitions of "recently"), that would be different, but I think 15-20 years is a long enough probationary period, to feel confident that we wouldn't have to worry about such an incident being repeated, if he was hired at MSU. I don't mean to minimize the significance of domestic violence, but I also don't believe that people should have to pay forever, for something that happened a long time ago.

dupuyer griz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by dupuyer griz » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:40 pm

Unmentioned candidate, I'm sure he would be very interested.

I kid, good luck on your coach search. Ash will be tough to replace from the clean program perspective for sure. While I was in school there it seemed like the football team was in some new trouble every month. Ash did a great job of getting rid of that garbage and helped the MSU football team better represent the state of Montana.

Eric O
New Recruit

Post by Eric O » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:40 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Pay attention to Jeff Choate - Defensive Line Coach for Washington. He has been a part of some very successful football teams and has coached some greats. Also, he graduated from Montana-Western where he played linebacker. He would definitely understand the rivalry and has recruited players out of Montana (currently coaches Will Dissly on the Huskies defensive line). Here is his profile. He is a defensive minded coach. I'm still a Cramsey guy but Jeff would be a smooth transition for recruiting continuity.

http://www.gohuskies.com/ViewArticle.db ... =209353996

• 2014-15 – Washington – Defensive Line/Special Teams Coordinator
• 2013 – Florida – Linebackers/Special Teams Coordinator
• 2012 – Washington State – Linebackers
• 2009-2011 – Boise State – Linebackers/Special Teams Coordinator
• 2006-2008 – Boise State – Running Backs/Special Teams Coordinator
• 2005 – Eastern Illinois – Special Teams Coordinator
• 2003-2004 – Utah State – Safeties/Special Teams Coordinator
• 2002 – Utah State – Graduate Assistant
• 1997-2001 – Post Falls (Idaho) High School – Head Coach
• 1996 – Twin Falls (Idaho) High School – Defensive Coordinator
• 1994-1995 – Challis (Idaho) High School – Head Coach
• 1992-1993 – Montana Western – Linebackers
I haven't posted on this board in a couple years, but this post caught my attention. I have some friends in the coaching ranks that say Mr. Choate is very interested. I like his resume. I don't know him, but he is spoken very highly of.
Last edited by Eric O on Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:42 pm

SonomaCat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
The real challenge here is that its all about PR. If MSU hires a coach and the headline upon their hiring is, "MSU hires accused domestic abuser as head football coach," then it's a nightmare for MSU (and not just the football team ... but actually for the far more important parts of the university as well). I feel for the coach -- reading the article and now knowing how long ago it was it seems like he should be due for a pass. But society is VERY touchy about domestic assault, especially in sports.

I wouldn't be upset if he got the job, but I would be concerned about how the press would react with the news. And then if it ever happened again while he was a coach at MSU? All hell would break loose and we'd probably be looking at a fired President.
Yep...everything you said is exactly right. Domestic violence is a huge hot button issue right now, thanks to the recent incidents involving Greg Hardy, Ray Rice, and others. Hiring this guy would have a huge downside for MSU, even if he turned out to be the best coach since Vince Lombardi.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:47 pm

I just heard that Paul Petrino is a serious name in the discussion as well...
I would not be happy with that one, for personal reasons. But who knows what's true and what isn't at this point.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RationalGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RationalGriz » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:56 pm

91catAlum wrote:I just heard that Paul Petrino is a serious name in the discussion as well...
I would not be happy with that one, for personal reasons. But who knows what's true and what isn't at this point.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
My belief is that anyone named Petrino is toxic. As for Paul, many UI boosters and others in N. Idaho and E. Washington are really souring on him, not only due to on-field performance but also due to player issues and how he has handled them, which would not be welcome at MSU.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:02 pm

Eric O wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:Pay attention to Jeff Choate - Defensive Line Coach for Washington. He has been a part of some very successful football teams and has coached some greats. Also, he graduated from Montana-Western where he played linebacker. He would definitely understand the rivalry and has recruited players out of Montana (currently coaches Will Dissly on the Huskies defensive line). Here is his profile. He is a defensive minded coach. I'm still a Cramsey guy but Jeff would be a smooth transition for recruiting continuity.

I haven't posted on this board in a couple years, but this post caught my attention. I have some friends in the coaching ranks that say Mr. Choate is very interested. I like his resume. I don't know him, but he is spoken very highly of.
I did a little research on Jeff Choate. I would really like to see him be considered. I feel he would be good for recruiting,networking and contacts plus a list of candidates for assistant coaches. He has great experience with some really good, successful programs.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:06 pm

is Mike Breske available? he was fired by Mike Leach at WSU but I think he would fit the cat program pretty well.

Also, what am I missing about Jason McEndoo? I am sure to be roasted for making these comments and don't get me wrong I think he's a good O-line coach and a great guy but I don't understand the cult like following he has. Obviously he knows his football. I think he was all Pac 10 when he played for the cougs and an NFL player but his o-lines at MSU were never really that good. It seemed they were always overrated and I wasn't that impressed with the players he recruited.. Mike Person, JP Flynn and some others but there were much better o-lines in the BSC during his years at MSU?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:12 pm

Did Fields say if he was going to open this up to anyone and then as people apply we will get to see who is in the running? Or is this more closed door where they have a select few and will make their decision based on who they think they like the best? I am just curious to see the list of people that are truly interested in this job. I think the biggest thing is that people will see that they aren't rebuilding, just fixing. That is huge.

Punters are people too!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:17 pm

seataccat wrote:is Mike Breske available? he was fired by Mike Leach at WSU but I think he would fit the cat program pretty well.

Also, what am I missing about Jason McEndoo? I am sure to be roasted for making these comments and don't get me wrong I think he's a good O-line coach and a great guy but I don't understand the cult like following he has. Obviously he knows his football. I think he was all Pac 10 when he played for the cougs and an NFL player but his o-lines at MSU were never really that good. It seemed they were always overrated and I wasn't that impressed with the players he recruited.. Mike Person, JP Flynn and some others but there were much better o-lines in the BSC during his years at MSU?
From the Oklahoma State website: McEndoo coached seven Bobcat All-Americans and 11 first team All-Big Sky selections, including Jeff Bolton, an All-America center who earned the 2005 Rimington Award as Division I-AA’s top player at that position. He also coached 2010 consensus All-America Mike Person (a seventh round choice by San Francisco in the 2011 NFL Draft), and 2012 first-team All-Big Sky and honorable mention All-America choice Shaun Sampson. In 2011, two Bobcat O-linemen – Conrad Burbank and Alex Terrien – earned All-America honors. MSU’s offensive front led the Big Sky in fewest sacks allowed in 2006 and 2008, and the Bobcats led the league in rushing yards in 2008. Under McEndoo’s guidance, the offensive line was a leadership hub in the Bobcat program. At least one offensive lineman served as a team captain in 10 of McEndoo’s 12 seasons.

He was also a magician of getting more out of his lineman when the numbers were down or they weren't as talented. I'm not sure how that would be considered overrated but you are entitled to your opinion of measuring success.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:31 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
seataccat wrote:is Mike Breske available? he was fired by Mike Leach at WSU but I think he would fit the cat program pretty well.

From the Oklahoma State website: McEndoo coached seven Bobcat All-Americans and 11 first team All-Big Sky selections, including Jeff Bolton, an All-America center who earned the 2005 Rimington Award as Division I-AA’s top player at that position. He also coached 2010 consensus All-America Mike Person (a seventh round choice by San Francisco in the 2011 NFL Draft), and 2012 first-team All-Big Sky and honorable mention All-America choice Shaun Sampson. In 2011, two Bobcat O-linemen – Conrad Burbank and Alex Terrien – earned All-America honors. MSU’s offensive front led the Big Sky in fewest sacks allowed in 2006 and 2008, and the Bobcats led the league in rushing yards in 2008. Under McEndoo’s guidance, the offensive line was a leadership hub in the Bobcat program. At least one offensive lineman served as a team captain in 10 of McEndoo’s 12 seasons.

He was also a magician of getting more out of his lineman when the numbers were down or they weren't as talented. I'm not sure how that would be considered overrated but you are entitled to your opinion of measuring success.
I agree VIM, there were a bunch of years where we lost OL to season ending injuries or some other reason and he had to do a lot of patching and he seemed to always get the best out of these guys. I feel he would be a great head coach. He is an excellent recruiter and a good team builder. He is a good family man and has high integrity.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:47 pm

Sorry if this name has already been tossed out there but what about Bruce Barnum? Talk about a drastic turnaround over there at PSU.... that guy has those kids playing their guts out for him.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:52 pm

I don't think mSU is in a position to buy out anyones contract.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

rtb

Post by rtb » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:25 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Eric O wrote:

I did a little research on Jeff Choate. I would really like to see him be considered. I feel he would be good for recruiting,networking and contacts plus a list of candidates for assistant coaches. He has great experience with some really good, successful programs.
I have done a little research and completely agree. This is the first one I've looked at that got me excited about the possibility. I love that he has Montana connections, that he has coached at all three phases(even if offense was just two years), is defensive minded, has been a HC and AD(yes it was high school, but still shows ability to run things from a managerial level), and obviously has strong ties throughout the west and into Florida. I can't find a reason why he wouldn't be a great choice.

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:32 pm

rtb wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
Eric O wrote:

I have done a little research and completely agree. This is the first one I've looked at that got me excited about the possibility. I love that he has Montana connections, that he has coached at all three phases(even if offense was just two years), is defensive minded, has been a HC and AD(yes it was high school, but still shows ability to run things from a managerial level), and obviously has strong ties throughout the west and into Florida. I can't find a reason why he wouldn't be a great choice.
Plus, Chris Peterson runs a clean program top to bottom. Choate has learned from one of the best in that department.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:42 pm

Keep in mind that Choate is currently making $345,000 in salary but a pay cut to have the opportunity to run a program is worth it to some of these guys.