Names for New HC?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Slackjaw
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Names for New HC?

Post by Slackjaw » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:51 pm

seataccat wrote:is Mike Breske available? he was fired by Mike Leach at WSU but I think he would fit the cat program pretty well.

Also, what am I missing about Jason McEndoo? I am sure to be roasted for making these comments and don't get me wrong I think he's a good O-line coach and a great guy but I don't understand the cult like following he has. Obviously he knows his football. I think he was all Pac 10 when he played for the cougs and an NFL player but his o-lines at MSU were never really that good. It seemed they were always overrated and I wasn't that impressed with the players he recruited.. Mike Person, JP Flynn and some others but there were much better o-lines in the BSC during his years at MSU?

Completely agree! I have always wondered how such a great coach and players coach would be stuck in a position to have to rebuild the line like every year. And our lines were good.......considering. But never dominate.

Also, hiring someone like him would most likely result in a lot of the same crew that just delivered us a great season. We need fresh blood. Somebody new. Please! I would hope we are a university that performs a National search not just hiring the people we know. That includes not hiring Cramsey.

And those that are putting the "dream" scenario of McEndoo as head and Cramsey as OC have no clue what they are talking about. Pretty sure those two will never work together again.

If not this year?.........When?

GalataBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by GalataBobcat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:57 pm

I'm going to guess that we will be hearing names by next Monday on who will be interviewed. This time of year with the recruits, to get a coach hired very quickly is needed. My guess, you will see 5 finalists and interviews next week.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:58 pm

For some comic relief, this article I just saw seems to cover a lot of the themes being debated on this board over the last two days:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... uston-nutt

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:59 pm

Slackjaw wrote:
seataccat wrote:is Mike Breske available? he was fired by Mike Leach at WSU but I think he would fit the cat program pretty well.

Also, what am I missing about Jason McEndoo? I am sure to be roasted for making these comments and don't get me wrong I think he's a good O-line coach and a great guy but I don't understand the cult like following he has. Obviously he knows his football. I think he was all Pac 10 when he played for the cougs and an NFL player but his o-lines at MSU were never really that good. It seemed they were always overrated and I wasn't that impressed with the players he recruited.. Mike Person, JP Flynn and some others but there were much better o-lines in the BSC during his years at MSU?

And those that are putting the "dream" scenario of McEndoo as head and Cramsey as OC have no clue what they are talking about. Pretty sure those two will never work together again.
No joke, thats why we say "dream scenario" not "realistic scenario"

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:07 pm

GoCats18 wrote:Did Fields say if he was going to open this up to anyone and then as people apply we will get to see who is in the running? Or is this more closed door where they have a select few and will make their decision based on who they think they like the best? I am just curious to see the list of people that are truly interested in this job. I think the biggest thing is that people will see that they aren't rebuilding, just fixing. That is huge.
The way I heard it, it was open for a national search, then when it was narrowed down to a handful of candidates it would go somewhat public.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

rtb

Post by rtb » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:18 pm

SonomaCat wrote:For some comic relief, this article I just saw seems to cover a lot of the themes being debated on this board over the last two days:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... uston-nutt
This is awesome if you follow the randomizer from this article. The first 3 options I got were interesting, that first one is crazy.

Option 1
Mike Price and Dennis Erickson have local ties, but Gary Barnett has the system to win with this roster now.
Option 2
Early names for your school's job? Robb Akey, Jim Tressel, and Brady Hoke.
Option 3
Early names for your school's job? Karl Dorrell, Ron Prince, and Dave Wannstedt.

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:41 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Keep in mind that Choate is currently making $345,000 in salary but a pay cut to have the opportunity to run a program is worth it to some of these guys.
This is an important point that I don't think has been given much discussion.

At a certain point, there's an inflection point between salary and career satisfaction. For some, it's not about the money, but the job and money becomes less important.

Now, if we're only talking salary and a guy is making the same as a position coach as he would as a head coach, it would seem fitting that this guy would take the head coach job, pending that he is qualified.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GRZZ » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:14 pm

cats2506 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:Did Fields say if he was going to open this up to anyone and then as people apply we will get to see who is in the running? Or is this more closed door where they have a select few and will make their decision based on who they think they like the best? I am just curious to see the list of people that are truly interested in this job. I think the biggest thing is that people will see that they aren't rebuilding, just fixing. That is huge.
The way I heard it, it was open for a national search, then when it was narrowed down to a handful of candidates it would go somewhat public.
I remember being somewhat surprised when MSU hired Ash that there were public forums. Am I remembering that correctly?

I know that is common for most positions on college campuses, including athletic directors, but is it that common for coaches? Most don't want their current employers/players/recruits to know they are even talking to someone unless they get the job. Ash was hired in June, so it is a little different in the calendar year because no one is in an immediate position to up and jump ship, but I wonder if Fields will indeed end up making the finalists public in some regard, and if that will have more of an impact on who does and doesn't apply versus anything else discussed thus far.

And, as an outsider, I think those of you who think MSU can't attract quality candidates don't fully respect how few upper tier FCS jobs there are and the gap between what UM, MSU, NDSU, NH, and a few others have compared to everyone else at this level. The biggest issue is what we are allowed to pay them, but it seems like that is continually creeping up.

“I think I've heard every coach that's coached against the Grizzlies this year sit up here and say, ‘You know, we're better than those guys, and we can beat those guys,' ” said Kramer. “You know what? The truth is you ain't. So shut. The heck. Up.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:26 pm

GRZZ wrote:And, as an outsider, I think those of you who think MSU can't attract quality candidates don't fully respect how few upper tier FCS jobs there are and the gap between what UM, MSU, NDSU, NH, and a few others have compared to everyone else at this level. The biggest issue is what we are allowed to pay them, but it seems like that is continually creeping up.
I agree, I think there will a lot of guys interested in the job. It's a better job than it was when Ash took it over I think because of the stadium improvements and the improvements made around campus during the Ash years.

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:19 pm

Hauck :coffee:

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:17 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Slackjaw wrote:

No joke, thats why we say "dream scenario" not "realistic scenario"
In all seriousness, is there tension between Cramsey and Mac? Does Iaone get along with either?

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:34 pm

You need to remember that when talking salary the figures may not add up to what some highly paid assistant coaches make at FBS schools. However, when you add in the perks and other income they can earn, we end up in the ballpark. Plus, being a successful head coach can lead to much higher opportunities. Bottom line is that this is a good opportunity for an assistant coach at an F B S school.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:53 pm

msuhunter wrote:Hauck :coffee:
I hung out with him after the Appy State playoff game back in 2009. He's good friends with a griz buddy of mine. I grilled him on some past stuff I had heard about him. Every answer he give me was a good one. On a personal level, I liked the guy. Plus he was buying coors lights for me, a Cat fan. Say what you want. Just having him on our sideline would kill half of the griz nation fans. Lol....

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:28 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
I hung out with him after the Appy State playoff game back in 2009. He's good friends with a griz buddy of mine. I grilled him on some past stuff I had heard about him. Every answer he give me was a good one. On a personal level, I liked the guy. Plus he was buying coors lights for me, a Cat fan. Say what you want. Just having him on our sideline would kill half of the griz nation fans. Lol....
He is one of the few names that would make me put Bobcat Stadium in my rearview mirror. The guy may have bought you a beer, but he is classless.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:13 pm

allcat wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
He is one of the few names that would make me put Bobcat Stadium in my rearview mirror. The guy may have bought you a beer, but he is classless.
Agree- he is unacceptable period!

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:00 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
allcat wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
Agree- he is unacceptable period!
Why is he unacceptable? A proven track record as a FCS head coach. We need wholesale changes. And he for sure would bring a new attitude and edge to the team.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:15 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:32 pm

We will not hire Hauck so not sure why people keep mentioning it. Funny how people talk about swagger and having pride and then mention a classless POS who hates the Cats.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:34 pm

utucats wrote:We will not hire Hauck so not sure why people keep mentioning it. Funny how people talk about swagger and having pride and then mention a classless POS who hates the Cats.
It's absurd.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:41 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
utucats wrote:We will not hire Hauck so not sure why people keep mentioning it. Funny how people talk about swagger and having pride and then mention a classless POS who hates the Cats.
It's absurd.
but funny 8)