Cramsey for head coach?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Cramsey for head coach?

Post by onceacat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:13 pm

PapaG wrote:
nutman wrote:Situational football.

Not blaming the offense at all, just pointing out that an 'offensive genious' might be able to rally the troops to get one when it matters. After all it's a team thing, right?

As I heard someone say once 'things are never as bad, or as good as they seem'. 500 yards doesn't mean much when you had to claw your way from behind just to get a chance and possibly winning the game.

After a losing season, it's tough for me to swallow that we had any 'bests in the country' or genius tendencies. Perhaps its the tags that bother me so much. To me, a QB who took his team further through leadership is the better QB. Ash vs Stitt, this year, is pretty easy to see. Gustafson vs. Prukop? That idea probably makes people mad before they start making the comparison.
520 yards and 42 ppg a game should not be a 5-6 team. I question your agenda, given your sparse posting history. Saying offense doesn't score when "they need to" is a logical fallacy. I'd like to see some advanced stats, or even what the measurable variables are for "scoring when you need to score." Although maybe I'm just being a bit too homerish, too.
Nutman is absolutely right. Our defense was #8 in the BSC in scoring D. Not great, but better than NAU and EWU both. The offense absolutely lost the game at UND, probably SUU, and had chances to keep it close in Cheney & Flagstaff. Putting up a ton of points in garbage time & against poor to middling defenses does not make a great O.

Q: How many game winning drives did the O put together in the last 2 years? (Answer, 2, one with a backup QB) Out of how many chances?

Q: When the D kept the game close at half, and we were receiving to start the 2nd, how many times did the O close the gap? Not once that I can remember.

This O has utterly failed to seize the moment when the D has made stops and has been an absolute train wreck finishing out halves. And it has been brilliant in putting up points & yards once the game is out of reach. That speaks to some deep seated problems, and has a lot to do with why MSU decided to fire Ash. Cramsey's fingerprints are all over every single loss in the last 2 years (unless he hasn't been allowed to do his own thing and Ash has ruined everything).

I really enjoy this offense, and I like a lot of the things that Cramsey has done: but lets call a spade a spade and admit it is bat spit crazy to even think about promoting Cramsey at this point (given the offensive execution in 3 of the last 4 games, he's lucky to even still be around.)

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:17 pm

VIDEO: MSU offensive coordinator Tim Cramsey reacts to Rob Ash firing
http://skylinesportsmt.com/montana-stat ... sh-firing/

STORY: Cramsey reacts to Ash firing, will apply for MSU job
http://skylinesportsmt.com/cramsey-reac ... -head-job/

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:52 pm

PapaG wrote:
SonomaCat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
Definitely worth the time for a full watch/listen for everybody as well.
He's Chip Kelly 70 lbs. ago. Same mannerisms, same clipped speech patterns ... he'd definitely bring an energy to the top job that differs from Ash.
It is almost like he worked for him. :wink:

Bleedinbluengold

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:04 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Bleedinbluengold wrote:In any case, pretty unprofessional to say such things to a reporter or in public. Unwise at best.
Wait a second, didn't everyone on here just crucify ash for not being more fiery and emotional? Now we have a guy who makes those qualifications and all of a sudden it's unwise and unprofessional.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
uh yeah, there is a big difference between a persona on the sidelines/lockerroom and what you say to a reporter or in social media.

Montana State IS what "they" think Montana is.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:05 pm

I guess I just don't see the big deal

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:12 pm

If I was the AD I wouldn't even consider Cramsey unless he stated his intentions to pretty much clean house on the defensive side of the ball. I love Ioane but Ash was let go, that level of accountability has to extend to the defense.

Bleedinbluengold

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:13 pm

PapaG wrote:Cramsey's performance as OC should not be ignored.

Third in the nation in total offense - 520 ypg
First in offensive TDs - 61
19th in rushing offense - 216 ypg
7th in passing offense - 304 ypg

Balanced, scores TD at an insane rate, young, energetic...

he may be too young for the job, but if he doesn't get it, he's going to be the OC at an FBS school next year. That he wants to be a head coach and would likely take a pay cut by staying in Bozeman to be one should be considered as well.
and accomplished with average skill at skill positions. we basically had 1.5 guys who could score from anywhere on the field.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:17 pm

wbtfg wrote:I guess I just don't see the big deal

me neither. but what fun is that...?

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:20 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
wbtfg wrote:I guess I just don't see the big deal

me neither. but what fun is that...?
I see what they are complaining about, I think Cramsey is using every chip he has to get the job. I just don't agree that it's a bad thing. An opportunistic go getter seems like the right type to me.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:24 pm

onceacat wrote:
Nutman is absolutely right. Our defense was #8 in the BSC in scoring D. Not great, but better than NAU and EWU both. The offense absolutely lost the game at UND, probably SUU, and had chances to keep it close in Cheney & Flagstaff. Putting up a ton of points in garbage time & against poor to middling defenses does not make a great O.

Q: How many game winning drives did the O put together in the last 2 years? (Answer, 2, one with a backup QB) Out of how many chances?

Q: When the D kept the game close at half, and we were receiving to start the 2nd, how many times did the O close the gap? Not once that I can remember.

This O has utterly failed to seize the moment when the D has made stops and has been an absolute train wreck finishing out halves. And it has been brilliant in putting up points & yards once the game is out of reach. That speaks to some deep seated problems, and has a lot to do with why MSU decided to fire Ash. Cramsey's fingerprints are all over every single loss in the last 2 years (unless he hasn't been allowed to do his own thing and Ash has ruined everything).

I really enjoy this offense, and I like a lot of the things that Cramsey has done: but lets call a spade a spade and admit it is bat spit crazy to even think about promoting Cramsey at this point (given the offensive execution in 3 of the last 4 games, he's lucky to even still be around.)
Nationally:

#1 offense in TDs
#3 offense in yards per game
#5 offense in points per game ... lead the Big Sky by a full touchdown

I can't take you seriously anymore. If this year's team had an Elvis Akpla, Demetrius Crawford, and Shawn Johnson, it would have set records and you'd still be whining about it.

The defense gave up 426 yards RUSHING to North Dakota, by the way, and it's the offense's fault when they put up 38 points and 480 yards of offense on their own? That's the opinion of someone either blinded by bias or ignorant of the game of football.

8th in the Big Sky in defense with 35 points per game given up, with 14 points to D-II Ft. Lewis, 7 points to 2-9 FCS ETSU, and 13 points to 2-9 Sac State being the only games where the opposing offense was held to under 28 points. Whoopity Freaking Doo. Cal-Poly, a 4 win team, was the only other team held under 34 points.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:36 pm

PapaG wrote:
onceacat wrote:

Nationally:

#1 offense in TDs

I can't take you seriously anymore. If this year's team had an Elvis Akpla, Demetrius Crawford, and Shawn Johnson, it would have set records and you'd still be whining about it.

The defense gave up 426 yards RUSHING to North Dakota, by the way, and it's the offense's fault when they put up 38 points and 480 yards of offense on their own? That's the opinion of someone either blinded by bias or ignorant of the game of football.

8th in the Big Sky in defense with 35 points per game given up, with 14 points to D-II Ft. Lewis, 7 points to 2-9 FCS ETSU, and 13 points to 2-9 Sac State being the only games where the opposing offense was held to under 28 points. Whoopity Freaking Doo. Cal-Poly, a 4 win team, was the only other team held under 34 points.
+1

I don't know how I feel about cramsey being head coach, but trying to put any blame on the offense for this season is just nuts.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Bleedinbluengold

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:37 pm

PapaG wrote:
onceacat wrote:

Nationally:

#1 offense in TDs

Regardless of stats, two other stats in football mean way more: (1) Turnover margin and (2) scoring defense. Were we not at the bottom of the conference and the nation in both?

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:42 pm

Bleedinbluengold wrote:
Regardless of stats, two other stats in football mean way more: (1) Turnover margin and (2) scoring defense. Were we not at the bottom of the conference and the nation in both?
13 defensive turnovers for the season. 105th nationally.

15 offensive turnovers for the season. 31st nationally.

-2 for the season in TO margin, which was 76th, but it's clear which unit didn't hold up their end on turnovers.

Another example of the offense doing their part while the defense was well below average.

What a ride

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:47 pm

Bleedinbluengold wrote:
PapaG wrote:
onceacat wrote:

Nationally:

#1 offense in TDs

105/123 in turnovers gained. Top 3rd in the nation in turnovers lost. That's a fail on the defense.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:54 pm

I must say I'm intrigued at the possibility of Cramsey as HC. He's a fiery ultra-competitive guy that the offensive kids seem to love. I like that he's a no-BS tell it like it is type of guy also. More truth, less coach-speak. I still want to see who else applies, but I think Cramsey should get serious consideration.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bleedinbluengold

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:56 pm

PapaG wrote:
Bleedinbluengold wrote:

-2 for the season in TO margin, which was 76th, but it's clear which unit didn't hold up their end on turnovers.

Another example of the offense doing their part while the defense was well below average.
And scoring defense (which is all that matters) was what? Were we better than ETSU even?

griz5700
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by griz5700 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:56 pm

His comments about Pookup only playing for him plus that video of his reaction to the firings...I'm thinking he's not your guys next HC.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:57 pm

Bleedinbluengold wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Bleedinbluengold wrote:

And scoring defense (which is all that matters) was what? Were we better than ETSU even?
Cats were 97th nationally at 34.3.

ETSU was 112th at 37.8.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:58 pm

griz5700 wrote:His comments about Pookup only playing for him plus that video of his reaction to the firings...I'm thinking he's not your guys next HC.
You Griz fans just can't help yourselves.

:roll:

What a ride

bobcatmaniac
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bobcatmaniac » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:59 pm

griz5700 wrote:His comments about Pookup only playing for him plus that video of his reaction to the firings...I'm thinking he's not your guys next HC.
If he said that, it shows that he is not mature enough for the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk