Cramsey for head coach?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SonomaCat

Re: Cramsey for head coach?

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:41 pm

wbtfg wrote:Man, Ted Dawson is the worst

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
He sounds pissed ... and loud.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:47 pm

Cramsey is going full tilt to get this job. Not sure what to think of it but I kind of like the tenacity to jump in when he sees the opportunity. I still prefer Mac but if Cramsey got the job I'd be okay with it.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:48 pm

Hawks86 wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
Definitely worth the time for a full watch/listen for everybody as well.

grizhunter
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by grizhunter » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:50 pm

Absolutely terrible !!!

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:53 pm

Yeah...kinda comes across as an over-inflated gas bag

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:54 pm

Cramsey handled that very well. Gave straight, clear, respectful answers despite some rough questions.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

nutman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by nutman » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:08 pm

I've gone on record saying i'm not a huge Cramsey fan. But, there is nothing in that interview that makes me think he couldn't handle it or was out of line.

I do think it is very odd that those who called for the head coach to be gone are calling for guys inside the program, who also helped get us to where we are today, somehow deserve the job more than coach Ash.

Quite frankly, the hire better be a damned good one. Here are a few metrics:
1. Better record than our current coach against similar competition.
2. Better record in some sort of rivalry game.
3. Better record with APR.
4. Better record winning games where they are ranked as underdogs and against top 10 teams.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:11 pm

SonomaCat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
Definitely worth the time for a full watch/listen for everybody as well.
He's Chip Kelly 70 lbs. ago. Same mannerisms, same clipped speech patterns ... he'd definitely bring an energy to the top job that differs from Ash.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:16 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Cramsey handled that very well. Gave straight, clear, respectful answers despite some rough questions.
Yep...I agree completely. He probably regrets what he said earlier about Prukop. Unfortunately, these days, you have to be vigilant about what you say at all times. Let's see how he handles himself over the next few days before writing him off as a candidate.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:17 pm

nutman wrote: I do think it is very odd that those who called for the head coach to be gone are calling for guys inside the program, who also helped get us to where we are today, somehow deserve the job more than coach Ash.
I see a very small minority of posters who blame the offense, apparently for not scoring every single time they get the ball, but even Saturday the offense put up over 500 yards on a Griz defense that shut down EWU and was a cheating punter getting a flag away from getting the ball in Griz territory and a chance to make it a one score game with plenty of time left.

What a ride

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:18 pm

John K wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:Cramsey handled that very well. Gave straight, clear, respectful answers despite some rough questions.
Yep...I agree completely. He probably regrets what he said earlier about Prukop. Unfortunately, these days, you have to be vigilant about what you say at all times. Let's see how he handles himself over the next few days before writing him off as a candidate.
I'd assume he'd at least get an interview -- the fact that he was placed as the caretaker of the program (can't remember the exact term used but that seemed to be the gist) in the interim suggests that he's the most highly regarded of the assistants remaining. I'd assume the biggest questions for him would regard the defense and who he would want to run it and how his philosophy or recruiting or whatever would differ from the status quo.

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GavinDonos » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:22 pm

PapaG wrote:
nutman wrote: I do think it is very odd that those who called for the head coach to be gone are calling for guys inside the program, who also helped get us to where we are today, somehow deserve the job more than coach Ash.
I see a very small minority of posters who blame the offense, apparently for not scoring every single time they get the ball, but even Saturday the offense put up over 500 yards on a Griz defense that shut down EWU and was a cheating punter getting a flag away from getting the ball in Griz territory and a chance to make it a one score game with plenty of time left.
Agreed. I wonder if the offense, knowing that they had to score every possession in order to keep the games competitive, may have pressed a little bit at times throughout the year. Seemed apparent to me.

FWIW I am pro cramsey and mac. Don't mind going with what we know at all.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:25 pm

Cramsey's performance as OC should not be ignored.

Third in the nation in total offense - 520 ypg
First in offensive TDs - 61
19th in rushing offense - 216 ypg
7th in passing offense - 304 ypg

Balanced, scores TD at an insane rate, young, energetic...

he may be too young for the job, but if he doesn't get it, he's going to be the OC at an FBS school next year. That he wants to be a head coach and would likely take a pay cut by staying in Bozeman to be one should be considered as well.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:28 pm

GavinDonos wrote:
Agreed. I wonder if the offense, knowing that they had to score every possession in order to keep the games competitive, may have pressed a little bit at times throughout the year. Seemed apparent to me.

FWIW I am pro cramsey and mac. Don't mind going with what we know at all.
Our tailgate was hosted by some QB Club members who are close to the program. When Mac's name came up, every single one of them said how impressive he is not only as a coach, but as a person. I wonder if Mac would come back to "run" the offense, even though he lost out to Cramsey for the OC job in 2013.

I also heard a story about how that entire hiring of the OC went down that makes me understand a little more why Ash was let go to the point I wasn't surprised at all today when the news came out. Granted these guys are pro-Mac, and I did only get one side of the story.

What a ride

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:36 pm

You have to feel for him and the rest of coaches. He is obviously worried about how to support his family. I hate to see that. He said it is part of coaching but doesn't change the emotional impact. I wish him the best of luck in his application as coach and what ever else he may do.

I thought he did a good job being interviewed.

nutman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by nutman » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:48 pm

It is important to separate stats into game situations. This year, in the first quarter, when needed to go up on an opponent we missed. In 6 games this season, it happened. Great, we had 500 yards, but when the situation demanded a score, we didn't have the answer. Did they press? Absolutely, but now that's an excuse?

Our running backs were the second leading rusher in many games. Not exactly a statistical recipe that reaffirms balance. Is it possible that we couldn't open up downfield passes because we didn't have a dynamic rushing attack?

Is it possible that we were down 17-7 early in the second quarter due to giving up 2 short field tds that put tremendous pressure on the defense? Is it possible that the defense lost a little swagger after that? It seemed obvious to me that the whole team was flat in the second quarter. Seemed like a lead of 14-3 would have changed the complexion of the game. Just like Northern Arizona, North Dakota, SUU, Portland State, Eastern Washington, etc. It was a pattern, watch the film.

But, let's fall in love with the yardage totals. It always makes me nervous when a coach is willing to stake his whole team on say 'the best quarterback in the country'. That meant nothing this year and I don't think it helps the team build cohesiveness.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:01 pm

nutman wrote:It is important to separate stats into game situations. This year, in the first quarter, when needed to go up on an opponent we missed. In 6 games this season, it happened. Great, we had 500 yards, but when the situation demanded a score, we didn't have the answer. Did they press? Absolutely, but now that's an excuse?

Our running backs were the second leading rusher in many games. Not exactly a statistical recipe that reaffirms balance. Is it possible that we couldn't open up downfield passes because we didn't have a dynamic rushing attack?

Is it possible that we were down 17-7 early in the second quarter due to giving up 2 short field tds that put tremendous pressure on the defense? Is it possible that the defense lost a little swagger after that? It seemed obvious to me that the whole team was flat in the second quarter. Seemed like a lead of 14-3 would have changed the complexion of the game. Just like Northern Arizona, North Dakota, SUU, Portland State, Eastern Washington, etc. It was a pattern, watch the film.

But, let's fall in love with the yardage totals. It always makes me nervous when a coach is willing to stake his whole team on say 'the best quarterback in the country'. That meant nothing this year and I don't think it helps the team build cohesiveness.
I get what you're saying...to some extent. The offense definitely had lulls at times, and often failed to move the ball at key junctures of many games. But, when you average more than 40 points per game, and are held under 35 only once, you should win a lot of games...like almost all of them. On the other hand, when you give up 50 or more three times, and allow an average of 34.3 points (44.2 against legit FCS teams), the offense is the only reason we weren't 2-9, instead of 5-6. You can't expect any offense, no matter how good they are, to score every time they have the ball. If we had just an average defense this year (it didn't have to be great...just average), we would have finished at or near the top of the BSC.
Last edited by John K on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:03 pm

nutman wrote:In 6 games this season, it happened. Great, we had 500 yards, but when the situation demanded a score, we didn't have the answer.
MSU had more offensive TDs than any other team in the country.

5.5 TDs/game

If you need 6 or 7 TDs to win a game, regardless of when the TDs come, the offense isn't the issue.

MSU averaged 42 ppg. Montana, with offensive genius Stitt, averaged 32 ppg, yet they are hosting a playoff game.

This blaming the offense stuff seems unreasonable to me. Again, are they supposed to score on every possession? That's not at all realistic.

What a ride

nutman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by nutman » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:25 pm

Situational football.

Not blaming the offense at all, just pointing out that an 'offensive genious' might be able to rally the troops to get one when it matters. After all it's a team thing, right?

As I heard someone say once 'things are never as bad, or as good as they seem'. 500 yards doesn't mean much when you had to claw your way from behind just to get a chance and possibly winning the game.

After a losing season, it's tough for me to swallow that we had any 'bests in the country' or genius tendencies. Perhaps its the tags that bother me so much. To me, a QB who took his team further through leadership is the better QB. Ash vs Stitt, this year, is pretty easy to see. Gustafson vs. Prukop? That idea probably makes people mad before they start making the comparison.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:30 pm

nutman wrote:Situational football.

Not blaming the offense at all, just pointing out that an 'offensive genious' might be able to rally the troops to get one when it matters. After all it's a team thing, right?

As I heard someone say once 'things are never as bad, or as good as they seem'. 500 yards doesn't mean much when you had to claw your way from behind just to get a chance and possibly winning the game.

After a losing season, it's tough for me to swallow that we had any 'bests in the country' or genius tendencies. Perhaps its the tags that bother me so much. To me, a QB who took his team further through leadership is the better QB. Ash vs Stitt, this year, is pretty easy to see. Gustafson vs. Prukop? That idea probably makes people mad before they start making the comparison.
520 yards and 42 ppg a game should not be a 5-6 team. I question your agenda, given your sparse posting history. Saying offense doesn't score when "they need to" is a logical fallacy. I'd like to see some advanced stats, or even what the measurable variables are for "scoring when you need to score." Although maybe I'm just being a bit too homerish, too.

What a ride