Fields

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Fields

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:05 am

I'd like to know what peoples expectations and job qualifications are for an AD. The only thing I've learned is that they must make perfect hirings every time and only fire people exactly when needed.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:11 am

Hawks86 wrote:I'd like to know what peoples expectations and job qualifications are for an AD. The only thing I've learned is that they must make perfect hirings every time and only fire people exactly when needed.
I'm pretty sure that their job is also to build great new facilities on a regular basis, all the while never raising ticket prices to anywhere even near the cross-state rival charges ... because raising ticket prices is bad and new facilities are good.

They also need to accept the fact that anytime anything good happens in the department, the praise will belong to a coach/player/president/waterboy/fans/flying spaghetti monster/etc. When anything that is perceived as bad happens, the blame is all on the AD.

This is kind of a fun game. :D

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:02 pm

SonomaCat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:I'd like to know what peoples expectations and job qualifications are for an AD. The only thing I've learned is that they must make perfect hirings every time and only fire people exactly when needed.
I'm pretty sure that their job is also to build great new facilities on a regular basis, all the while never raising ticket prices to anywhere even near the cross-state rival charges ... because raising ticket prices is bad and new facilities are good.

They also need to accept the fact that anytime anything good happens in the department, the praise will belong to a coach/player/president/waterboy/fans/flying spaghetti monster/etc. When anything that is perceived as bad happens, the blame is all on the AD.

Fields nailed it with Fish...if he does well in replacing Ash (and I think he will...particularly with President Cruzado helping from the dugout) then I think we can safely say he has been very successful recently. Huse wasn't handled correctly...Kramer's termination was a tire fire, but second chances are a real thing, and he seems to have embraced this reality.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:08 pm

Don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere but there will also be student athletes on the search committee.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:12 pm

1) Be a leader of the university
2) Be a leader in the community
3) Experience with smaller sports programs (skiing, rodeo, tennis etc.)
4) Demonstrated ability to leverage funding sources from the community at large for capital improvement projects

Not an exhaustive list, but a lot of specifics fit into those categories. Fields is not a leader, he is a MANAGER, because he has never been willing to institute change when change was tough but still needed. Ash's termination was a job saving move, as others have eluded to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:39 pm

I'm really interested in hearing from the fire Fields crowd on this.

Why is Fields the only one that gets blamed for things? He gets almost zero compliments and gets almost zero support from anyone on this message board. Why is that?

With the Ash firing:
People are happy about the Ash firing and say it was time, but then say it's also time for Fields to go....shouldn't we be happy he made the move to let Ash go, shouldn't we give him credit for letting Ash go? I look at Ash being let go as Fields and the Presidents set of expectations were not being met by one of his employees and after a lot of conversations.

People that are unhappy with the Ash firing say Peter should have gone instead. Do you honestly think Cruzado wasn't 1000% behind this decision? Cruzado wanted Ash gone because we weren't winning, Fields made the call and helped with the decision but to not put blame at the President's door step does a disservice to Fields.

Fields made a mistake (in my opinion) with how he handled the Huse situation, however he more than redeemed it with the Fish hire. Again why are we not giving Fields any credit for hiring a guy that is doing some BIG things with the basketball program? People are actually excited about watching basketball again.

Again people give Cruzado all the credit for the end zone and other major projects but neglect all the funds that i KNOW Fields collected.

I'd honestly like to hear real feedback why in the world we should fire Fields, give me examples of something he is doing or has done that warrants his firing? And please keep the very vague comments away, i've already got all i can read of those.

I'm trying to understand why I should advocate for the firing of a guy that IMO hasn't done ANYTHING to deserve being relieved of his position.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:51 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:I'm really interested in hearing from the fire Fields crowd on this.

Why is Fields the only one that gets blamed for things? He gets almost zero compliments and gets almost zero support from anyone on this message board. Why is that?

With the Ash firing:
People are happy about the Ash firing and say it was time, but then say it's also time for Fields to go....shouldn't we be happy he made the move to let Ash go, shouldn't we give him credit for letting Ash go? I look at Ash being let go as Fields and the Presidents set of expectations were not being met by one of his employees and after a lot of conversations.

People that are unhappy with the Ash firing say Peter should have gone instead. Do you honestly think Cruzado wasn't 1000% behind this decision? Cruzado wanted Ash gone because we weren't winning, Fields made the call and helped with the decision but to not put blame at the President's door step does a disservice to Fields.

Fields made a mistake (in my opinion) with how he handled the Huse situation, however he more than redeemed it with the Fish hire. Again why are we not giving Fields any credit for hiring a guy that is doing some BIG things with the basketball program? People are actually excited about watching basketball again.

Again people give Cruzado all the credit for the end zone and other major projects but neglect all the funds that i KNOW Fields collected.

I'd honestly like to hear real feedback why in the world we should fire Fields, give me examples of something he is doing or has done that warrants his firing? And please keep the very vague comments away, i've already got all i can read of those.

I'm trying to understand why I should advocate for the firing of a guy that IMO hasn't done ANYTHING to deserve being relieved of his position.
I really connect with this post; I haven't quite understood this Fields bashing either.

The Huse situation was the warm-up to the Ash situation; by all accounts a great guy, a cancer survivor, who just wasn't getting it done. It was clear Peter held Huse in high esteem and wanted to believe he could turn it around; he couldn't. Ash's situation was very similar, except this time, Fields took the necessary action immediately (this is the first season it was truly justifiable to fire Coach Ash).

Fish was an OUTSTANDING hire...he will be great at MSU when he gets a team full of his own recruits playing to the level he expects, and then he'll jump ship to a bigger job...we should PRAY that every coach we hire does so good he gets coaxed up to the next level.

Fields did a GREAT...not good...GREAT job at that press conference yesterday. That was a nearly impossible task, and he handled it professionally and appropriately. This "on to the next guy" witch hunt is out of control. NEWSFLASH: Fields IS NOT GETTING FIRED RIGHT NOW. What he IS going to do is hire the NEXT HEAD FOOTBALL COACH. I would venture a guess that if he whiffs on this hire, he won't be around to make the next one...but we won't know that for a few years now.

RedCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by RedCat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:01 pm

I agree with the previous couple of posts. The majority of people on the board seem to really dislike Fields, but don't provide much substance as to why.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:26 pm

I think Fish is going to be a great hire, but I'm not ready to proclaim that Fields hit a home run yet. Yes, they won 2 games last weekend and Tyler Hall looks like the Real Deal. I was at the game Friday and I was impressed, and excited for the future. But it's November. Let's not put Fish in the Hall of Fame just yet. If he wins a couple conference titles, then I'm ready to credit Fields for a great hire.

I'm not one of the "fire Fields" people, just pointing out that it's a bit early to credit him with a great hire. Let's give it a couple seasons.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:31 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:I'm really interested in hearing from the fire Fields crowd on this.

With the Ash firing:

I really connect with this post; I haven't quite understood this Fields bashing either.

The Huse situation was the warm-up to the Ash situation; by all accounts a great guy, a cancer survivor, who just wasn't getting it done. It was clear Peter held Huse in high esteem and wanted to believe he could turn it around; he couldn't. Ash's situation was very similar, except this time, Fields took the necessary action immediately (this is the first season it was truly justifiable to fire Coach Ash).

Fish was an OUTSTANDING hire...he will be great at MSU when he gets a team full of his own recruits playing to the level he expects, and then he'll jump ship to a bigger job...we should PRAY that every coach we hire does so good he gets coaxed up to the next level.

Fields did a GREAT...not good...GREAT job at that press conference yesterday. That was a nearly impossible task, and he handled it professionally and appropriately. This "on to the next guy" witch hunt is out of control. NEWSFLASH: Fields IS NOT GETTING FIRED RIGHT NOW. What he IS going to do is hire the NEXT HEAD FOOTBALL COACH. I would venture a guess that if he whiffs on this hire, he won't be around to make the next one...but we won't know that for a few years now.
+1

I don't know where all the fields hate comes from either.

I am an Ash supporter, and I don't believe that Fields wanted to get rid of him at all. No inside information, just intuition from his demeanor and the apparent preoccupation of his mind during the press conference.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:52 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:

With the Ash firing:

+1

I am an Ash supporter, and I don't believe that Fields wanted to get rid of him at all. No inside information, just intuition from his demeanor and the apparent preoccupation of his mind during the press conference.
My o.p. was not made to say that Fields should be fired today, it was made to say that he's gambled his job with this move, and will need to be held to account if we don't maintain at least our current level of performance, with all facets of the football program. If we hire a coach that wins a ton without sullying our program with questionable recruiting, great for Peter, good job. But if it doesn't go that way, and there's a decent chance IMO that it won't, Fields will need to be fired at that time, again in my opinion.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:56 pm

Goldstone, my post was definitely not directed at you.

In most jobs you are held accountable for the decisions you make. I have no problem with anyone being held accountable as it is the way of the world.

Sorry if my post came across as directed at you, it was mostly out of frustration due to the fire fields crowd that can never (IMO) state why fields shouldn't have a job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:16 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:Goldstone, my post was definitely not directed at you.

In most jobs you are held accountable for the decisions you make. I have no problem with anyone being held accountable as it is the way of the world.

Sorry if my post came across as directed at you, it was mostly out of frustration due to the fire fields crowd that can never (IMO) state why fields shouldn't have a job
i think you summed it up well above. fields is in charge of all msu athletics. he is the one accountable for their strengths and failures. i think it was posted in another thread that of fields 8 hires, he has had to fire 6 of them for poor performance. in several of those cases i thought his inability to make these decisions sooner really hurt us. mens basketball comes to mind.

i admit i don't know everything in his job description. but it seems to me that if we have sports doing so poorly that we have to fire the coach, and fields hired them, doesn't it eventually fall on fields? is there anything he can do that would warrant being let go if it is not lousy hires?

my personal opinion is this move was a hail mary by fields. if this new coach pans out and does what ash could not then he'll be around for a while. if not, i think he's gone. i just don't know how you can have so many poor hires as an AD and not be on the hot seat.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:21 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:Goldstone, my post was definitely not directed at you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you look at his record, he's got pluses and minuses. He hired Ash who was absolutely the right guy we needed. He hired Fish who has potential to be a star. He saw the EZ project finally get done. He hired JOHN STOCKTON to assistant women's basketball. And now he's fired Ash when he needed to.

But then....

He mishandled the firing of Kramer very badly. He's struck out on every volleyball coach. He kept Huse too long and gave him an extension only to have to buy it out.

I guess I could go either way, but lately he's been a bit more impressive. Let's see what he digs up for our new coach. I think he finds someone better than most of us expect.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:24 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
SonomaCat wrote:

Fields nailed it with Fish...if he does well in replacing Ash (and I think he will...particularly with President Cruzado helping from the dugout) then I think we can safely say he has been very successful recently. Huse wasn't handled correctly...Kramer's termination was a tire fire, but second chances are a real thing, and he seems to have embraced this reality.
My thoughts exactly. Completely bungled both of these firings from the standpoint of timing. Huse was fired 2 years too late, after a baffling contract extension, and Kramer should have been fired in January or whenever the news came out about the lack of institutional control , not in June (or whenever it was) after the trials for his former players. Just stupid. I'd argue that he pulled the trigger a year too soon on Ash, but now we'll never know. I understand that every termination he's made has had a different set of circumstances, but it's frustrating from my perspective how consistently inconsistent he is in all of the terminations he's made, not just in FB and MBB.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:35 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
SonomaCat wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Completely bungled both of these firings from the standpoint of timing. Huse was fired 2 years too late, after a baffling contract extension, and Kramer should have been fired in January or whenever the news came out about the lack of institutional control , not in June (or whenever it was) after the trials for his former players. Just stupid. I'd argue that he pulled the trigger a year too soon on Ash, but now we'll never know. I understand that every termination he's made has had a different set of circumstances, but it's frustrating from my perspective how consistently inconsistent he is in all of the terminations he's made, not just in FB and MBB.
i can agree with this. i'm certainly not screaming from the rooftop that fields needs to go. i guess i'm just a little surprised that there are people who think it's crazy to want fields gone because he's doing so perfect. he has done some good things no doubt. ash was an excellent hire. stadium expansion was under his watch and brought a new excitement to football. obviously other things as well. but man, the things you guys mentioned above have got to at least make a case for the guys unhappy with fields right? hell, how many volleyball coaches have we had in the last 10 years? mens hoops has been in the toilet. hopefully fish is the guy to turn it around and that'll certainly be a feather in fields cap. womens basketball has been bad as well.

i guess i just look at all the sports. are any of them thriving? with all of the coaching turnover it sure doesn't seem like it. has attendance risen in any of our sports in the last 3-5 years? football had a couple conference championships; have we had others? if collectively many of our sports are underachieving or regressing, eventually you have to go beyond firing the coaches, and fire the guy that's been firing the coaches.... :wink:

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:48 pm

In addition, I would argue that Cruzado was the driving force behind the completion of the end zone project, not Fields. Fields other problem is that he comes across as so blase, and is about as interesting as a lump of clay. He shows no excitement or passion for Bobcat Athletics, yet he's the AD? How does that work?

Just as the Ash Bashers thought that there's a better, more expressive, outwardly passionate coach out there to lead the football team, I think MSU could do better with new blood at AD with someone that shows a bit of energy. Does that make sense?

94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:53 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
SonomaCat wrote:

i can agree with this. i'm certainly not screaming from the rooftop that fields needs to go. i guess i'm just a little surprised that there are people who think it's crazy to want fields gone because he's doing so perfect. he has done some good things no doubt. ash was an excellent hire. stadium expansion was under his watch and brought a new excitement to football. obviously other things as well. but man, the things you guys mentioned above have got to at least make a case for the guys unhappy with fields right? hell, how many volleyball coaches have we had in the last 10 years? mens hoops has been in the toilet. hopefully fish is the guy to turn it around and that'll certainly be a feather in fields cap. womens basketball has been bad as well.

i guess i just look at all the sports. are any of them thriving? with all of the coaching turnover it sure doesn't seem like it. has attendance risen in any of our sports in the last 3-5 years? football had a couple conference championships; have we had others? if collectively many of our sports are underachieving or regressing, eventually you have to go beyond firing the coaches, and fire the guy that's been firing the coaches.... :wink:
This too. It seems he's happy with the status quo and not pushing ALL athletic departments to perform better.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:26 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:

With the Ash firing:

+1

My o.p. was not made to say that Fields should be fired today, it was made to say that he's gambled his job with this move, and will need to be held to account if we don't maintain at least our current level of performance, with all facets of the football program. If we hire a coach that wins a ton without sullying our program with questionable recruiting, great for Peter, good job. But if it doesn't go that way, and there's a decent chance IMO that it won't, Fields will need to be fired at that time, again in my opinion.
Yeah, I think our conversation was somewhat tangential to the main point, Goldstone. I think you and I are actually pretty closely aligned regarding this stuff.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:15 am

DriscollCat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:

With the Ash firing:

+1

Yeah, I think our conversation was somewhat tangential to the main point, Goldstone. I think you and I are actually pretty closely aligned regarding this stuff.
Yep, seems so on the whole scenario here, from coach Ash to Peter Fields I think we basically agree. I wasn't offended or anything by any of the chatter on this thread, just felt I needed to clarify my position slightly.