Fields

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Fields

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:29 pm

Peter Fields just put himself on the clock. I'm not arguing with his right to make the change, although I wouldn't have done it without giving Coach Ash and this staff one more crack to turn it around. But if our program doesn't have 32-34 wins, at least a win over the grizzlies, and a couple playoff berths in the next 4 seasons, then Fields and whomever he chooses to hire need to be fired at that time. Otherwise, you have no credibility as an athletic department, because that's the performance you just fired the winningest coach in school history for. 31-18, a win in Missoula, and 2 playoff appearances the last 4 seasons. There's your benchmark, Peter, so you better be sure on this one.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Re: Fields

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:31 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:Peter Fields just put himself on the clock. I'm not arguing with his right to make the change, although I wouldn't have done it without giving Coach Ash and this staff one more crack to turn it around. But if our program doesn't have 32-34 wins, at least a win over the grizzlies, and a couple playoff berths in the next 4 seasons, then Fields and whomever he chooses to hire need to be fired at that time. Otherwise, you have no credibility as an athletic department, because that's the performance you just fired the winningest coach in school history for. 31-18, a win in Missoula, and 2 playoff appearances the last 4 seasons. There's your benchmark, Peter, so you better be sure on this one.
I have zero confidence in Fields, although letting Ash go was warranted IMO, but I also believe Fields resignation is also warranted.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:36 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:Peter Fields just put himself on the clock. I'm not arguing with his right to make the change, although I wouldn't have done it without giving Coach Ash and this staff one more crack to turn it around. But if our program doesn't have 32-34 wins, at least a win over the grizzlies, and a couple playoff berths in the next 4 seasons, then Fields and whomever he chooses to hire need to be fired at that time. Otherwise, you have no credibility as an athletic department, because that's the performance you just fired the winningest coach in school history for. 31-18, a win in Missoula, and 2 playoff appearances the last 4 seasons. There's your benchmark, Peter, so you better be sure on this one.
I have zero confidence in Fields, although letting Ash go was warranted IMO, but I also believe Fields resignation is also warranted.
:lol: pretty much how I feel as well.

Good point in the original post though- the next coach has a lot to live up to.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

imacat

Post by imacat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:37 pm

+1

I am not very proud of how Peter Fields has handled this. It is very disappointing. Not the best of days to be a Bobcat for me.
Last edited by imacat on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:39 pm

imacat wrote:
+1
+1000

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:45 pm

I wrote my letter to Waded this morning and told her both of their heads should roll. Fields is just doing this to save his own job. If she is real good, his head will roll some time next spring.

mtdoc
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by mtdoc » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:49 pm

Who hired coach Fish? That guy is making a huge splash with his recruiting.

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:50 pm

mtdoc wrote:Who hired coach Fish? That guy is making a huge splash with his recruiting.
Who did coach Fish replace and how long was THAT guy there....

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:52 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
imacat wrote:
+1
+1000
That is exactly the way I felt when Kramer was fired. I've made no secret of the fact that I was a Kramer supporter, but when I first heard that he was out, my initial reaction was not to be upset about his firing...it was "Fields...you damn well better make a good hire". I was really concerned that all the momentum that we'd built up during Kramer's tenure could very easily be undone, if we hired the wrong guy. But that didn't happen. Fields did make a good hire, and I believe he can do it again. In fact, we should have even more interest in the job this time around, simply because we're making this change at the traditional time of year, rather than May/June like last time. I don't necessarily agree that we've already got someone in mind, although I wouldn't be surprised if Cramsey has been encouraged to apply for the job. I know that 10-14 days is a pretty ambitious timeline, but I think we'd be doing ourselves a major disservice to not do full due diligence, in terms of seeing who all might be interested in the job.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:54 pm

mtdoc wrote:Who hired coach Fish? That guy is making a huge splash with his recruiting.
I agree, I like what Coach Fish is doing here, but if this football hire goes wrong, if you want consistency and credibility from your administration, Fields needs to go at that point as well. Maybe it'll be a home run, and we'll win 4 Big Sky titles in a row, make a run or 2 in the playoffs, and everything is hunky-dory, but if we go 3-4 years without as great of success as we are currently having, then Fields will have failed in his job. The football program meaning what it does to the entire athletic department/university, he better hope he gets this right.

AlphaOAlum
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by AlphaOAlum » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:54 pm

Duplicate post:
I'm wondering what Fields' record is on coaching hires?

Off the top of my head:

Men's Basketball: Fired Durham, hired Huse, fired Huse, hired Fish.

Women's Volleyball: Forced out Gantt, hired Malauulu, Fired Malauulu, (declined to hire Gantt again), hired Weindel, fired Weindel, hired Riley (?) (did I miss someone in there?)

Football: Fired Kramer (hired by Lindemann), hired Ash, fired Ash

So... 5/7 coaches he's fired were people he hired. I wish I could be that terrible and keep my job!

:shock:

Fire 'em Fields.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:57 pm

John K wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
imacat wrote:
+1
+1000
That is exactly the way I felt when Kramer was fired. I've made no secret of the fact that I was a Kramer supporter, but when I first heard that he was out, my initial reaction was not to be upset about his firing...it was "Fields...you damn well better make a good hire". I was really concerned that all the momentum that we'd built up during Kramer's tenure could very easily be undone, if we hired the wrong guy. But that didn't happen. Fields did make a good hire, and I believe he can do it again. In fact, we should have even more interest in the job this time around, simply because we're making this change at the traditional time of year, rather than May/June like last time. I don't necessarily agree that we've already got someone in mind, although I wouldn't be surprised if Cramsey has been encouraged to apply for the job. I know that 10-14 days is a pretty ambitious timeline, but I think we'd be doing ourselves a major disservice to not do full due diligence, in terms of seeing who all might be interested in the job.
Yes, 1000 times yes, we have an attractive position here, largely because of our success the past 9 years, and the Kramer era before that. I'm not saying that Fields can't get this right, just that he better. Firing Kramer had to happen, but he cost the university in that lawsuit. He made a good hire in Ash, a great hire in fact, but almost killed the men's basketball program before stepping in there. I'm skeptical, because I didn't think wholesale changes were warranted this offseason, but I hope he gets it done right, because we should have good people lining up out the door for this job.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:59 pm

imacat wrote:
+1

I am not very proud of how Peter Fields has handled this. It is very disappointing. Not the best of days to be a Bobcat for me.
How so? Is there really a "good" way to handle firing someone who holds such a high profile job? Once the decision was made to make a change, I'm not sure that there's a real gracious way to handle the public announcement. Unless you're just saying that he shouldn't have been fired at all? Unless there was something said at the press conference that I missed? I didn't start listening until it was about halfway through.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:08 pm

Any insight on our academics? When Coach Ash arrived we were in tough shape and observing a few of the players leave under Coach Ash, I'm interested in how much of a part this played into the decision. The Athletic Director is that sole individual responsible for ensuring all employees within the Athletic Department follows the rules, regulations and guidelines set forth by the NCAA. One ought to realize they cannot delegate the overall responsibilty of ensuring compliance to a coach or their assistants. That's what an administrator and their department does and let's face it, someone whose only prior experience with the huge NCAA rules and regulations requirements was as a fundraiser in Columbia, Missouri, many of the penalties MSU has experienced during the Fields era really is no longer acceptable.

CatRowdy

Post by CatRowdy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:12 pm

AlphaOAlum wrote:Duplicate post:
I'm wondering what Fields' record is on coaching hires?

Off the top of my head:

Men's Basketball: Fired Durham, hired Huse, fired Huse, hired Fish.

Women's Volleyball: Forced out Gantt, hired Malauulu, Fired Malauulu, (declined to hire Gantt again), hired Weindel, fired Weindel, hired Riley (?) (did I miss someone in there?)

Football: Fired Kramer (hired by Lindemann), hired Ash, fired Ash

So... 5/7 coaches he's fired were people he hired. I wish I could be that terrible and keep my job!

:shock:

Fire 'em Fields.
You left off he hired Binford, gave her a raise and she's a .500 coach

MeerKat

Post by MeerKat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:54 pm

Not sure where your numbers come from. Comparing your expectations for this new coach to what Ash did in his first 4 years your numbers are far exceeding those of what Ash did. In Ash's first 4 years he won 29 games made the playoffs 1 time and beat the Griz 1 time. If you're going to hold a new coach accountable to at least match his predecessor then Ash wouldn't of been here anymore. Kramer his last 4 years won 28 games (Ash 29 his first 4), Kramer made the playoffs 2 times and one other time he finished 1st but lost tiebreakers to UofM and EWU. Had it been the bracket of today 24 teams he would of made it 3 times. (Ash 1 playoff team in first 4 years). Kramer beat the Griz 2 times. (Ash 1 victory over the Griz) He took over a team from Kramer that finished the previous season 8 - 5. So why does the new coach have to win 32 to 34 games? Why does he have to make the playoffs 2 times? To be as good as Ash in his first 4 years he would need to win 29 games, beat the griz 1 time and make the playoffs 1 time. Also the new coach will be taking over a team that was 5-6 not 8-5 like Ash did.

A new coach will need some time to make the team his own. I'm not a big fan of Peter Fields but I have to say looking at the state of the program the last couple years a change needed to be made. Fields made a mistake signing him to a new contact last year and I'm guessing it will come back to bite him in the form of a buyout. But the program needed a new leader and Fields did what he had to do. When a program becomes stagnate like the Cats have the last 3 years its time for a new voice.

AlphaOAlum

Post by AlphaOAlum » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:55 pm

MeerKat wrote:
Not sure where your numbers come from. Comparing your expectations for this new coach to what Ash did in his first 4 years your numbers are far exceeding those of what Ash did. In Ash's first 4 years he won 29 games made the playoffs 1 time and beat the Griz 1 time. If you're going to hold a new coach accountable to at least match his predecessor then Ash wouldn't of been here anymore. Kramer his last 4 years won 28 games (Ash 29 his first 4), Kramer made the playoffs 2 times and one other time he finished 1st but lost tiebreakers to UofM and EWU. Had it been the bracket of today 24 teams he would of made it 3 times. (Ash 1 playoff team in first 4 years). Kramer beat the Griz 2 times. (Ash 1 victory over the Griz) He took over a team from Kramer that finished the previous season 8 - 5. So why does the new coach have to win 32 to 34 games? Why does he have to make the playoffs 2 times? To be as good as Ash in his first 4 years he would need to win 29 games, beat the griz 1 time and make the playoffs 1 time. Also the new coach will be taking over a team that was 5-6 not 8-5 like Ash did.

A new coach will need some time to make the team his own. I'm not a big fan of Peter Fields but I have to say looking at the state of the program the last couple years a change needed to be made. Fields made a mistake signing him to a new contact last year and I'm guessing it will come back to bite him in the form of a buyout. But the program needed a new leader and Fields did what he had to do. When a program becomes stagnate like the Cats have the last 3 years its time for a new voice.
Point of clarification: 3 times. 2002, 2003, 2005 (the last time they won in Bzn)

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:56 pm

MeerKat wrote: Fields made a mistake signing him to a new contact last year and I'm guessing it will come back to bite him in the form of a buyout.
Ash is owed the rest of this years contract. That is it.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

AlphaOAlum

Post by AlphaOAlum » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:57 pm

How much has MSU spent in the last decade buying out contracts for the fired coaches?

Does MSU use a consulting firm to vet coaching candidates? How much has MSU spent on that?

MeerKat

Post by MeerKat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:09 pm

AlphaOAlum wrote:
MeerKat wrote:

Point of clarification: 3 times. 2002, 2003, 2005 (the last time they won in Bzn)
Correct but only 2 times in his last 4 years