Clock Question

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Clock Question

Post by CelticCat » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:20 pm

I'm curious about this, I forgot I posted in here. If the clock was stopped, and it was a live ball foul, I thought the clock should be returned to the state it was in before the play began. But these are the subtle rule differences between NFL, college, and high school so perhaps I don't know the college rule book.

I e-mailed Karl Richins, who is the coordinator of football officials for the Big Sky Conference. I'll let everyone know what I find it, assuming he gets back to me.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:49 pm

CelticCat wrote:I'm curious about this, I forgot I posted in here. If the clock was stopped, and it was a live ball foul, I thought the clock should be returned to the state it was in before the play began. But these are the subtle rule differences between NFL, college, and high school so perhaps I don't know the college rule book.

I e-mailed Karl Richins, who is the coordinator of football officials for the Big Sky Conference. I'll let everyone know what I find it, assuming he gets back to me.
I would love to hear this explanation. Thanks for emailing.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Buckets1234
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Buckets1234 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:13 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
CelticCat wrote:I'm curious about this, I forgot I posted in here. If the clock was stopped, and it was a live ball foul, I thought the clock should be returned to the state it was in before the play began. But these are the subtle rule differences between NFL, college, and high school so perhaps I don't know the college rule book.

I posted this on the previous page of this thread, in case you didn't see it...
It's a bad rule that will almost certainly be changed within the next year or two. Because UND ran a play and committed the holding DURING that play, the play clock resets to 25 seconds and the game clock runs those 25 seconds on the 'ready for play' because it happened DURING a play that ended with the clock RUNNING. That penalty has nothing to do with whatever happened on the previous play (timeout, dead ball, etc.) Had they not gained the yardage necessary for the first down, MSU then should have declined the penalty and forced a fourth down decision.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:43 am

Buckets1234 wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:

It's a bad rule that will almost certainly be changed within the next year or two. Because UND ran a play and committed the holding DURING that play, the play clock resets to 25 seconds and the game clock runs those 25 seconds on the 'ready for play' because it happened DURING a play that ended with the clock RUNNING. That penalty has nothing to do with whatever happened on the previous play (timeout, dead ball, etc.) Had they not gained the yardage necessary for the first down, MSU then should have declined the penalty and forced a fourth down decision.
thanks for that explanation. I don't like it but it makes a little more sense.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:18 pm

Buckets1234 wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:

So what stops a team with the lead and with the opponents having one or zero timeouts from holding literally every play on a run as soon as they get the ball in the 4th?

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Buckets1234
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Buckets1234 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:58 am

PapaG wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:

So what stops a team with the lead and with the opponents having one or zero timeouts from holding literally every play on a run as soon as they get the ball in the 4th?
If you aren't getting first downs on the holding plays then the defense would just decline the penalties. Although your argument makes sense in certain contexts, you couldn't just always do it because eventually you would get yourself into fourth downs..holding all the time doesn't necessarily equal success. Like I said, it's just a really bad rule.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:58 am

Buckets1234 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:

If you aren't getting first downs on the holding plays then the defense would just decline the penalties. Although your argument makes sense in certain contexts, you couldn't just always do it because eventually you would get yourself into fourth downs..holding all the time doesn't necessarily equal success. Like I said, it's just a really bad rule.
The clock would restart on every play, though. Have the o-line literally tackle the defenders at the snap and you'd get yards running the ball. Declining the penalty would move the offense down the field anyhow with the clock still running.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Buckets1234
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Buckets1234 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:10 am

PapaG wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:

The clock would restart on every play, though. Have the o-line literally tackle the defenders at the snap and you'd get yards running the ball. Declining the penalty would move the offense down the field anyhow with the clock still running.
Are you hoping to run out 10 minutes by holding? This would never make sense beyond a play or two in the last couple minutes. Just for the sake of your argument, all the defense would have to do is accept the first two holding penalties and then decline the next ones and the offense would be in 3rd and 4th and a mile