Clock Question

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Clock Question

Post by PapaG » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:26 pm

Holding on UND with 53 seconds left. MSU has to accept because the play was a first down.

Why did the clock start after the penalty reset? It's my understanding that the NCAA got rid of running the clock after offensive penalties with less than 2 minutes left years ago.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Clock Question

Post by allcat » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:28 pm

PapaG wrote:Holding on UND with 53 seconds left. MSU has to accept because the play was a first down.

Why did the clock start after the penalty reset? It's my understanding that the NCAA got rid of running the clock after offensive penalties with less than 2 minutes left years ago.
That confused me too.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:29 pm

PapaG wrote:Holding on UND with 53 seconds left. MSU has to accept because the play was a first down.

Didn't we call a TO before the play anyway? Clock shouldn't have been running to begin with.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:31 pm

CatBlitz wrote:

Didn't we call a TO before the play anyway? Clock shouldn't have been running to begin with.
No. MSU was out of timeouts because they had to take one on an earlier offensive series. Just a horrible performance all the way around.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:32 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:

No. MSU was out of timeouts because they had to take one on an earlier offensive series. Just a horrible performance all the way around.
Either way, the clock shouldn't have been running though, no?

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:48 pm

Why didn't ash say something then. He'll probably bring it up in the post game...

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:50 pm

technoCat wrote:Why didn't ash say something then. He'll probably bring it up in the post game...
Nah, he'll have to watch film first, then he'll write them a really stern letter.

GO CATS GO!!!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:51 pm

Yes we had called a timeout before that play, the clock was
not running before the play.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

catknip
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catknip » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:51 pm

technoCat wrote:Why didn't ash say something then. He'll probably bring it up in the post game...
He should have fought for this. Reminds me of the game many years ago against Washing State; Gilbert got out of bounds with time to kick a FG for the win. Ash simply walked into the locker room with the challenge flag in his pocket.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:15 pm

was so confused by this play. if this is how it works, why wouldn't an offense hold on every single play even with a couple minutes left. there is no way that is how it should happen.

Whisky_Ditch
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Whisky_Ditch » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:20 pm

No chance that was the right call.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Clock Question

Post by CelticCat » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:46 pm

If the only reason the clock was stopped was because of a penalty, the clock will start again at the ready. Them's the rules.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:58 pm

catknip wrote:
He should have fought for this. Reminds me of the game many years ago against Washing State; Gilbert got out of bounds with time to kick a FG for the win. Ash simply walked into the locker room with the challenge flag in his pocket.

I was in Pullman for that game. I kept saying what about the the receiver getting out! None of the MSU fans around me seemed to see it.
I've been thinking I was wrong for all these years.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:59 pm

CelticCat wrote:If the only reason the clock was stopped was because of a penalty, the clock will start again at the ready. Them's the rules.
As was mentioned it seems you could run off a lot of time or gain a huge advantage by forcing the defense not to accept. How is that not a strategy if those are the rules?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:05 pm

Clock would run the next play whether you accepted the penalty or not...

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:20 pm

CelticCat wrote:Clock would run the next play whether you accepted the penalty or not...
Then we should call up Eck and tell him to start holding if we have a lead with two minutes left! :lol:

Whisky_Ditch
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Whisky_Ditch » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:31 pm

CelticCat wrote:If the only reason the clock was stopped was because of a penalty, the clock will start again at the ready. Them's the rules.
But wasn't the clocked stopped on 3rd down to begin with?

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:17 am

Whisky_Ditch wrote:
But wasn't the clocked stopped on 3rd down to begin with?
yes. we called our final timeout after 2nd down, before third down. they ran a play, got a 1st down, but was brought back for holding. the clock kept running so when all was said and done there was about a minute run off the clock with that one third down play.

there has to be more to this. i don't know all the rules but watch a ton of football. if this is how it can be played, every team at every level playing with a lead would intentionally hold to run the clock at the end of the game. and as we saw yesterday just one penalty can run off a minute. any team with the ball near the 50 could just hold a few times and run off 3-4 minutes...

can't wait to hear about this explanation in qbc this week. lol.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:20 am

Has anyone written Foolerton about this yet to get his take on it?

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Buckets1234
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Buckets1234 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:38 am

It's a bad rule that will almost certainly be changed within the next year or two. Because UND ran a play and committed the holding DURING that play, the play clock resets to 25 seconds and the game clock runs those 25 seconds on the 'ready for play' because it happened during a play that ended with the clock running. Had they not gained the yardage necessary for the first down MSU then should have declined the penalty and forced a fourth down decision. Terrible rule. Judging from the Miami/Duke ending though, they have bigger problems on their hands.