R_E_L_A_X

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

HawkAndBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

R_E_L_A_X

Post by HawkAndBobcat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:01 pm

Not to copy Aaron Rodgers but, "I've got five letters here just for everybody out there in Bobcat-land: R-E-L-A-X."

Yes I am well aware that most if not all people in the BobcatNation were quite disappointed with last Saturday's result, myself included. However we are 2-2, the same record as this time last year. Granted we have one more conference loss than last season, and with the hopes of winning the Big Sky title severely diminished we as a fan-base still have lot to look forward to:

1. We can still BEAT the University of Missoula (No one has lost that game yet contrary to what Grizzoula might think).
2. We can still make the playoffs (if we win out).
3. We can still WIN a National Championship (A longshot at best and a GIGANTICALLY daunting task, but still possible)

Just because of a well below par outing down in Flagstaff does NOT mean that this season is over. Prukop is still healthy, and we are averaging over 45 points a game. I know our defense can make any offense look like the best in the country on any given week but it really shouldn't be that difficult of a task to hold teams under 44 points (even for our defense). Take it one week at a time and we could give all of the haters a dose of what we should be, and that is a Top-Tier football program.

This season is far from over... It is the second week of October, and we have 7 more chances to redeem ourselves from the NAU debacle. And like it or not Rob Ash will be the coach of this team for the rest of the season, so we ALL should put this #FireAsh movement to bed. I agree with some of the posters on BN that Ash is not steering this program in the right direction, but Peter Fields isn't going to fire Ash after a 2-2 start. That is just the way it is, so stop wasting time talking about it. The only way we can deal with last weeks loss is to look forward to another glorious Saturday afternoon in Bobcat Stadium against a beatable Sac State, and stop bashing the players. program, and coaches on an online forum that they rarely read. We all need to RELAX, take a deep breath, and focus all energy towards helping this team beat Sacramento State!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: R_E_L_A_X

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:11 pm

I agree with everything you said. however, I can't blame people for what they are saying this week. we have been given zero reason whatsoever over the last 2 seasons to believe that our defense will be anything but atrocious. that makes many of us mad, sad, and not very positive.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:16 pm

ilovethecats wrote:I agree with everything you said. however, I can't blame people for what they are saying this week. we have been given zero reason whatsoever over the last 2 seasons to believe that our defense will be anything but atrocious. that makes many of us mad, sad, and not very positive.
I'm neither mad or sad at the team or coaches or anyone individually. I'm not that way about sports. I'll be at every game no matter what, but I'll also live in reality. Yeah, being real means I'm not positive at times. There's nothing about the D as a unit to be positive about.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:35 pm

Personally, I'm relaxed. Went through my day or two of being ticked off and disappointed and now I'm over it. We ran into a buzz saw at NAU, and didn't play as well as we are capable of, for whatever reason. In my mind, the jury is still out on what the D can become this year despite what some other posters think. I saw this D play very well against CP, and I don't care that they were primarily a running team or whatever, I saw a D with attitude, one that was fundamentally sound, hit hard, tackled well, covered well, etc.

I think this TEAM will go on a winning streak starting Saturday, regardless of how well our D plays. I have faith that they ARE going to improve as the season goes along and maybe, just maybe for once this Cat team will be playing our best football on both sides of the ball in November.

One last point, I've heard people comparing us to the Griz, does anyone believe the Griz would have beaten NAU in Flagstaff Saturday night? I don't.

I lied. One MORE last point, for whoever said that we're all but out of the running for the Big Sky title... seriously? We all knew from the get go that nobody is getting through this league unscathed, and I still think the winner might even have two league losses.
Last edited by catatac on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:37 pm

HawkAndBobcat wrote:Not to copy Aaron Rodgers but, "I've got five letters here just for everybody out there in Bobcat-land: R-E-L-A-X."

Yes I am well aware that most if not all people in the BobcatNation were quite disappointed with last Saturday's result, myself included. However we are 2-2, the same record as this time last year. Granted we have one more conference loss than last season, and with the hopes of winning the Big Sky title severely diminished we as a fan-base still have lot to look forward to:

1. We can still BEAT the University of Missoula (No one has lost that game yet contrary to what Grizzoula might think).
2. We can still make the playoffs (if we win out).
3. We can still WIN a National Championship (A longshot at best and a GIGANTICALLY daunting task, but still possible)

Just because of a well below par outing down in Flagstaff does NOT mean that this season is over. Prukop is still healthy, and we are averaging over 45 points a game. I know our defense can make any offense look like the best in the country on any given week but it really shouldn't be that difficult of a task to hold teams under 44 points (even for our defense). Take it one week at a time and we could give all of the haters a dose of what we should be, and that is a Top-Tier football program.

This season is far from over... It is the second week of October, and we have 7 more chances to redeem ourselves from the NAU debacle. And like it or not Rob Ash will be the coach of this team for the rest of the season, so we ALL should put this #FireAsh movement to bed. I agree with some of the posters on BN that Ash is not steering this program in the right direction, but Peter Fields isn't going to fire Ash after a 2-2 start. That is just the way it is, so stop wasting time talking about it. The only way we can deal with last weeks loss is to look forward to another glorious Saturday afternoon in Bobcat Stadium against a beatable Sac State, and stop bashing the players. program, and coaches on an online forum that they rarely read. We all need to RELAX, take a deep breath, and focus all energy towards helping this team beat Sacramento State!
We don't have to win out to make the playoffs. We could easily be in with 1 more loss and quite possibly with 2 more.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:45 pm

I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the conversation this week (up until bracket went off his meds). There are real concerns and real questions getting asked, and several of the threads are on a good trajectory IMO. In classic BN form people have generally kept there crap together, and even did a good job of patiently whisking catatonic and other trolls away without the threads going into the toilet. So far it's only been bracket that has started new threads out of frustration with information that belongs in an existing thread (total egrizz move), and call out kids by name and throwing them under the bus (another total egrizz move).

Personally I'm waiting on the Sac game before I get too worried. Remember Colter previously made equally dire comments about our D and had to eat his words after Poly. He also talked about how great Poly's D was going to be, and also ate his words. I'm still hoping these guys get to average in the next 4 weeks, which just might be good enough to win the conference this year.

33MONTEBOSTON33
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 33MONTEBOSTON33 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:59 pm

I wonder if Ash is serious about his comments to the Chronicle Sunday or what? Nothing to worry about, just need to make a few changes and improvements on Defense, we will be OK. I question his comments when we have no pass rush, no sacks, linebackers not tackling or filling gaps and a secondary who cannot cover anyone.

If I was an opposing coach I would have a simple game plan for CATS. Spy Prukopf and take him out of his game like NAU. PASS, PASS, PASS. That is what will beat CATS.

I am seriously wondering if ASH is seeing the same game we are at home. First time in a long history, I left the game early. My BAD, missed the best quarter of the game. Too little too late. I now believe Ash/Cramsey still contend we need to score 50 a game to win. Yikes!!!

Sotallytober
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Sotallytober » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:02 pm

Darth Yoda wrote:Personally I'm waiting on the Sac game before I get too worried.
Sac State is terrible. Honestly, the better test will be Portland State on the road, 10/17.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:04 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:I agree with everything you said. however, I can't blame people for what they are saying this week. we have been given zero reason whatsoever over the last 2 seasons to believe that our defense will be anything but atrocious. that makes many of us mad, sad, and not very positive.
I'm neither mad or sad at the team or coaches or anyone individually. I'm not that way about sports. I'll be at every game no matter what, but I'll also live in reality. Yeah, being real means I'm not positive at times. There's nothing about the D as a unit to be positive about.
Riiight you're not that way about sports, you're more the throw most anyone under the bus type. We get it already, your confidence is broken you've given up and in your fragile emotional state you want everyone to know about it. Where's the reality in your four new born puppy defense? I'm sorry that you are such an emotional wreck right now but do yourself a favor and suck it up, grow a pair and have a stiff upper lip until you can get it together a bit more.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:20 pm

Yes, relax, I hope no one goes off the deep end over this. It isn't like they're not trying.

I think everyone is right to a certain degree. The one thing you also need to factor in is chemistry. Does MSU have it? Probably not yet. Are the Bobcats working toward it? Definitely. Will they get it? That's the big question.

Chemistry entails trusting and having confidence in yourself and everyone around you. It doesn't happen overnight and sometimes not at all. MSU is actually in a good situation. They've been beat down and exposed. They don't hold a false identity. They have a few games to find what they're looking for.

As a coach I'd rather have it that way than the other. It's like the kid who heaves up a three pointer and it somehow goes in and he now thinks he's a great 3 point shooter. :lol: Then he misses the next 20 in a row. At least MSU doesn't have that problem...yet. 8-[

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Darth Yoda

Post by Darth Yoda » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:22 pm

Sotallytober wrote:
Darth Yoda wrote:Personally I'm waiting on the Sac game before I get too worried.
Sac State is terrible. Honestly, the better test will be Portland State on the road, 10/17.
True. That game will be an actual test, but that doesn't mean we can't assess our D against a weak opponent. In some ways there's more on the line since we really don't have an excuse for playing bad. I want us to play a great defensive game. I want Sac under 400 yards without any big plays over 30 yards. I want our new born puppies to get to the QB a whole bunch, and register multiple sacks. I want at least 2 turnovers. If Sac has their best game of the season this weekend on the road in Bozeman, then I'm going to lose hope.

I don't see anybody arguing that we are good on D. The debate is centered around if any of this is fixable. There's the [bracket] camp that says no way. There's the Colter camp that says anything is possible, but highly doubtful based on the performance thus far. There are guys like me that think we can actually get to at least average and that's probably good enough to compete for the BSC title based on the fact that other good teams in the conference have also looked like crap. I'm sure there are guys out there not willing to post that think we will get our poop in a group and start playing good, possibly great, defense before it's all said and done. We will see.

If we have any hope at all this year, I'd like us to be able to brush off last week and play a solid game this Saturday. This game is important for our D and I'm anxious to see how we do.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:46 pm

Every team in the Big Sky has at least one glaring problem. I guess we'll all find out in the end whose glaring problems\weaknesses are fixable and whose aren't... and who will win the Big Sky despite the problems.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:48 pm

33MONTEBOSTON33 wrote:I wonder if Ash is serious about his comments to the Chronicle Sunday or what? Nothing to worry about, just need to make a few changes and improvements on Defense, we will be OK. I question his comments when we have no pass rush, no sacks, linebackers not tackling or filling gaps and a secondary who cannot cover anyone.

If I was an opposing coach I would have a simple game plan for CATS. Spy Prukopf and take him out of his game like NAU. PASS, PASS, PASS. That is what will beat CATS.

I am seriously wondering if ASH is seeing the same game we are at home. First time in a long history, I left the game early. My BAD, missed the best quarter of the game. Too little too late. I now believe Ash/Cramsey still contend we need to score 50 a game to win. Yikes!!!
I've been as hard on the coaches as anyone the last few days. But seriously, what the hell do you want or expect Coach Ash to say outwardly to the press? It's coach-speak, and I'm glad he's not throwing any players under the bus and he's taking some level of responsibility for not having the team prepared. My guess is that the discussions in the coaching offices and film room are a lot different than what he says to the press.

Now, that said, I'd sure love to see some of that show up on the field for a change, starting this Saturday!

GO CATS GO!!!

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:01 pm

Darth Yoda wrote:I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the conversation this week (up until bracket went off his meds). There are real concerns and real questions getting asked, and several of the threads are on a good trajectory IMO. In classic BN form people have generally kept there crap together, and even did a good job of patiently whisking catatonic and other trolls away without the threads going into the toilet. So far it's only been bracket that has started new threads out of frustration with information that belongs in an existing thread (total egrizz move), and call out kids by name and throwing them under the bus (another total egrizz move).

Personally I'm waiting on the Sac game before I get too worried. Remember Colter previously made equally dire comments about our D and had to eat his words after Poly. He also talked about how great Poly's D was going to be, and also ate his words. I'm still hoping these guys get to average in the next 4 weeks, which just might be good enough to win the conference this year.
Not saying I agree with the way he did it, but what exactly is so wrong about calling a spade a spade? Some players are not playing well, and that's a fact. Why is it an "egriz" move to call out a poor performance? This isn't little league where everyone kid's gets a ribbon and a pat on the back, these are young adults, not kids, playing a game, with many of them being compensated with a quality education free of cost (please don't turn this into a debate about whether college athletes should be paid, but anyone who has or is dealing with student loans understands what a huge blessing it is to have a free education). Again, not saying we should single out people and go on a long tirade about how they suck at life, but I get the impression that some on this board think it's sacrilegious to speak of any poor performance by any single player. Long story short, people really need to learn to quit being so sensitive and understand people are entitled to their own opinions without suggesting that this board has turned "egriz."

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:24 pm

In highschool you can mke up for some mistakes by having a ciuple of studs that cover them up. In D1 you can't. Everyone must be on the same page, and the defense has to perform as a well-oiled machine. To do that they must play together so each of them knows how the rest are going to cover and fill an rush. When you have 9 new players on the unit it will take time and there may be a lot of hiccups especially when you play top teams early. We now have a chance to let the defense mold into unit before we play SUU ISU and UM. If we continue to struggle through the next 5 weeks, then we can say there is a problem.

I was actually concerned more about how the NAU defensive line handled our offensive line. Prukop have very little time to stand back there and pass. When he ran.....they tracked him down quickly.

2024 Resume dominance

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:53 pm

Helcat72 wrote:In highschool you can mke up for some mistakes by having a ciuple of studs that cover them up. In D1 you can't. Everyone must be on the same page, and the defense has to perform as a well-oiled machine. To do that they must play together so each of them knows how the rest are going to cover and fill an rush. When you have 9 new players on the unit it will take time and there may be a lot of hiccups especially when you play top teams early. We now have a chance to let the defense mold into unit before we play SUU ISU and UM. If we continue to struggle through the next 5 weeks, then we can say there is a problem.

I was actually concerned more about how the NAU defensive line handled our offensive line. Prukop have very little time to stand back there and pass. When he ran.....they tracked him down quickly.
Very true. That's what I was trying to say, but you did a better job of it.

MSU has played a roller coaster schedule. DII Fort Lewis, 16 days off, lightning bolt offense of EWU, Poly option game, 7,200 feet Flagstaff after a loooong flight and a tough NAU spread (whatever it's called) offense. Hard to get synced up on that schedule.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:00 pm

Helcat72 wrote:In highschool you can mke up for some mistakes by having a ciuple of studs that cover them up. In D1 you can't. Everyone must be on the same page, and the defense has to perform as a well-oiled machine. To do that they must play together so each of them knows how the rest are going to cover and fill an rush. When you have 9 new players on the unit it will take time and there may be a lot of hiccups especially when you play top teams early. We now have a chance to let the defense mold into unit before we play SUU ISU and UM. If we continue to struggle through the next 5 weeks, then we can say there is a problem.

I agree with you about the O-line. I just really don't understand why they aren't more dominant. it's probably the biggest, most experienced O-line we've ever had, but they've been average at best so far this season. It's sort of amazing that we're still scoring so many points, even without great O-line play. It seems like they've generally done a pretty good job in run blocking, but the pass protection has to get better. I would guess that has something to do with why Prukop has struggled with his accuracy at times.

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:13 pm

msuhunter wrote:
Darth Yoda wrote:I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the conversation this week (up until bracket went off his meds). There are real concerns and real questions getting asked, and several of the threads are on a good trajectory IMO. In classic BN form people have generally kept there crap together, and even did a good job of patiently whisking catatonic and other trolls away without the threads going into the toilet. So far it's only been bracket that has started new threads out of frustration with information that belongs in an existing thread (total egrizz move), and call out kids by name and throwing them under the bus (another total egrizz move).

Not saying I agree with the way he did it, but what exactly is so wrong about calling a spade a spade? Some players are not playing well, and that's a fact. Why is it an "egriz" move to call out a poor performance? This isn't little league where everyone kid's gets a ribbon and a pat on the back, these are young adults, not kids, playing a game, with many of them being compensated with a quality education free of cost (please don't turn this into a debate about whether college athletes should be paid, but anyone who has or is dealing with student loans understands what a huge blessing it is to have a free education). Again, not saying we should single out people and go on a long tirade about how they suck at life, but I get the impression that some on this board think it's sacrilegious to speak of any poor performance by any single player. Long story short, people really need to learn to quit being so sensitive and understand people are entitled to their own opinions without suggesting that this board has turned "egriz."
They are not well compensated. They are amateurs. The NCAA has been very inflexible on this point. They are 18-22 year old boys. Some have forgotten what it is like to be that young. Some criticisms are not constructive. These are your Bobcats, nobody else - these boys.

Lovethecats75
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Lovethecats75 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:14 pm

New O line coach. Not sure but may have out in some different blocking assignments and not everyone is on the same page yet.

Griznationalist

Post by Griznationalist » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:17 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
msuhunter wrote:

They are not well compensated. They are amateurs. The NCAA has been very inflexible on this point. They are 18-22 year old boys. Some have forgotten what it is like to be that young. Some criticisms are not constructive. These are your Bobcats, nobody else - these boys.
Re: "Why is it an 'egriz' move to call out a poor performance?"

It's not. After all, it's a move invented by Hysell and Kramer. They paved the bus route with Bobcat players named in the Bzmn Daily Chron. Point well taken that Ash is more classy. But so is every Griz coach since Gene Carlson.