Compare Ash to a FBS coach.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Compare Ash to a FBS coach.

Post by Anacomando » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:18 pm

Simply put Rob Ash is Frank Beamer. This is another 7-4 team. MSU is the VT of the FCS, always good but never gonna get to the top. You are what your past defines you as. Rob Ash is 7-4 guy. Good coach.....just never going to be elite.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Re: Compare Ash to a FBS coach.

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:08 pm

Ash never gave a scholarship to one of the Vick brothers. Detest VT and hate this comparison.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:12 pm

MSU is the Georgia if the FCS

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:13 pm

Common Cat wrote:MSU is the Georgia if the FCS
Excellent!!

gfallscat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by gfallscat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:01 am

"Big Game Bob Stoops"

I'll have a cup of hot fat, and the head of Alfredo Garcia....

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:54 am

Anacomando wrote:Simply put Rob Ash is Frank Beamer. This is another 7-4 team. MSU is the VT of the FCS, always good but never gonna get to the top. You are what your past defines you as. Rob Ash is 7-4 guy. Good coach.....just never going to be elite.
You are exactly right...except when he's 9-3,10-3, 11-2.
Pretty hard to qualify as "elite" in the FCS. If a coach approaches that level he's usually gone to FBS. Don Read probably qualifies as a "elite" in FCS. That's after he failed miserably at Oregon (9-24) and worse yet at DII Portland State (11-30-1). I believe the griz hired him because in 1985 his PSU beat the defending Nat'l Champs Bobcats and because not that many applied for the job in Missoula, then a coaching graveyard.

Buckets1234
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Buckets1234 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:45 am

Anacomando wrote:Simply put Rob Ash is Frank Beamer. This is another 7-4 team. MSU is the VT of the FCS, always good but never gonna get to the top. You are what your past defines you as. Rob Ash is 7-4 guy. Good coach.....just never going to be elite.
In the past five seasons Ash is averaging 9 wins and 3.6 losses. His 45-18 record coming into this season from the past five years includes four losses to FBS teams and four other losses in the playoffs. To quote "you are what your past defines you as" would be saying that MSU has an exceptionally good chance to make the playoffs at the very least. It's hard to quantify what "elite" means, but making the playoffs four of the past five seasons certainly defines consistency.

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:50 am

Rob Ash has coached 35 seasons averages around 7 wins per year. The 9 and 10 win seasons are called outliers. Those outliers for MSU were Denarius McGee and Cody Kirk.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:56 am

Buckets1234 wrote:
In the past five seasons Ash is averaging 9 wins and 3.6 losses. His 45-18 record coming into this season from the past five years includes four losses to FBS teams and four other losses in the playoffs. To quote "you are what your past defines you as" would be saying that MSU has an exceptionally good chance to make the playoffs at the very least. It's hard to quantify what "elite" means, but making the playoffs four of the past five seasons certainly defines consistency.
Think Rob's record is ok to good. The one thing that I wish folks bantering it around would do however is adjust it for the first year or two struggle to turn the ship that most new coaches have to do. If he didn't win a game the first year and only 50 the next it wouldn't look as nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:45 am

Anacomando wrote:Rob Ash has coached 35 seasons averages around 7 wins per year. The 9 and 10 win seasons are called outliers. Those outliers for MSU were Denarius McGee and Cody Kirk.
They are not outliers when the sampling data is completely different. The majority of those seasons came at Juniata and Drake, both places where he just didn't have a deep enough talent pool (read different data) and no recruiting advantages. That was the impetus for him applying for the MSU job. He knew he was never going to have a shot at the NC at Drake, let alone a playoff run.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:48 pm

I think it's interesting how his numbers can be played out and what conclusions are reached. Another perspective.....in the 35 years he has been coaching Drake and MSU he has actually been 7-4 just three times, i.e 3-32. He has won 8 or more games per season 10 times. Good or bad?...that's up to you. He has never had a losing season at MSU. He had two losing seasons at Drake...4-7 (1991) and 5-6 (2002). His total combined losing seasons W-L = 9-13. 35 years. For me...based on his history, I enter every season very confident we will compete well.

Oh his W-L percentage at Drake and MSU are almost the same.