Transfers

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Transfers

Post by gtapp » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:28 am

How are the transfers doing so far? It seems like the coaching staff was counting on the transfers to shore up the defense. Is Naotala red shirting? I haven't seen much from them so far. On a side note: Is Wilcox going to play this year?

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Transfers

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:40 am

gtapp wrote:How are the transfers doing so far? It seems like the coaching staff was counting on the transfers to shore up the defense. Is Naotala red shirting? I haven't seen much from them so far. On a side note: Is Wilcox going to play this year?
Tappan, Clark and LaBoy are getting playing time. Carter starts. Wilcox played yesterday and had one tackle.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:06 am

Imo, they're not doing anything significant. And that's a huge problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GO CATS GO!!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:11 am

BozoneCat wrote:Imo, they're not doing anything significant. And that's a huge problem.

Hard to say. They need a chance to catch their collective breath.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:16 am

I disagree, Tom. No offense, but the whole point of getting transfers is to plug-n-play. We needed these guys to be able to step in and make an impact right away. Otherwise, we should have just gone after high school kids and developed them. Not putting all my he blame on the players, coaches hold some responsibility too, but I think we can say they've been disappointing thus far, at least.

GO CATS GO!!!

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:49 am

Or maybe the coaches wanted depth. Maybe it's not always plug and play...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:03 pm

BozoneCat wrote:I disagree, Tom. No offense, but the whole point of getting transfers is to plug-n-play. We needed these guys to be able to step in and make an impact right away. Otherwise, we should have just gone after high school kids and developed them. Not putting all my he blame on the players, coaches hold some responsibility too, but I think we can say they've been disappointing thus far, at least.

Part of the point is to have depth. They've provided that. No big impact at this point.

toM StUber

catatonic1
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catatonic1 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:59 pm

If Coach Ron Ash was half the recruiting genius everyone claims he is.....
Transfers wouldn't even be needed. With Nine years under the Ash system?
Shouldn't all the recruits brought in every year, be depth fillers?

Why aren't the regular "best" in and out of "state" Recruits panning out?

:-k

Isn't intentionally going after transfers, part of the old Krameristic
"Quick stop gap, win at any cost" approach?

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:06 pm

catatonic1 wrote:If Coach Ron Ash was half the recruiting genius everyone claims he is.....

Obviously the freshmen recruits are working out just fine. We win 8-10 games every year now. The question and possible problem is directed only at the transfers. Usually transfers are brought in to compete for starting spots. The griz have survived on transfers, especially at QB for years. They have had better luck than we have but they really have depended on them!!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

catatonic1

Post by catatonic1 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:11 pm

gtapp wrote:
catatonic1 wrote:If Coach Ron Ash was half the recruiting genius everyone claims he is.....

Obviously the freshmen recruits are working out just fine. We win 8-10 games every year now. The question and possible problem is directed only at the transfers. Usually transfers are brought in to compete for starting spots. The griz have survived on transfers, especially at QB for years. They have had better luck than we have but they really have depended on them!!
True
A lot of transfers call on the Griz..

But, I can't ever remember a Griz Coach openly admitting he's hunting for transfers for certain positions in the media, since maybe Donavon?

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:34 pm

Isn't intentionally going after transfers, part of the old Krameristic
"Quick stop gap, win at any cost" approach?
Go away, troll.

GO CATS GO!!!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:38 pm

catatonic1 wrote:
gtapp wrote:

True

But, I can't ever remember a Griz Coach openly admitting he's hunting for transfers for certain positions in the media, since maybe Donavon?
Ash has his faults but you're grasping at straws here.

catatonic1

Post by catatonic1 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:50 pm

91catAlum wrote:
catatonic1 wrote:
gtapp wrote:

True

Uhmm kay....

Then lets not even consider the wasted time & scholly money spent on transfers with questionable character issuses that Ash personally checked out himself, that later needed to be sent packing?

That time and money could have been used on freshman that would now be stepping in as real depth

Now ask your, where is the line between facts and straws?

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:07 pm

catatonic1 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catatonic1 wrote:
gtapp wrote:

True

Uhmm kay....

Then lets not even consider the wasted time & scholly money spent on transfers with questionable character issuses that Ash personally checked out himself, that later needed to be sent packing?

That time and money could have been used on freshman that would now be stepping in as real depth

Now ask your, where is the line between facts and straws?
Have the griz ever relied on transfers?
Have any of those transfers ever been booted from the team?
Go away.

catatonic1

Post by catatonic1 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:12 pm

If this were a chess game...

I'd say you just put your "KING" in the cross hairs

:shock:

](*,)

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:18 pm

catatonic1 wrote:But, I can't ever remember a Griz Coach openly admitting he's hunting for transfers for certain positions in the media, since maybe Donavon?
What Ash tells the media might be different, but it's not like the Griz haven't been using transfers. Do you think those transfers just magically appeared in Missoula without the staff looking for them? Do you think that the Griz weren't expecting to have and use transfers, but had scholarships available for them by coincidence?

I know we all hate the Griz, but it's an objective fact that no team wins as many games as the Griz year after year without having a plan at each position. Those transfers they play aren't just thrown onto the roster haphazardly. The team looked for transfers at positions where they weren't as strong as they wanted to be, just like the Cats do, and just like every other team in Division I does.

(FWIW, no team wins as many games as the Cats do year after year without a plan at each position, either. They are just sometimes more open with the media about that plan.)

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

catatonic1

Post by catatonic1 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:06 pm

so. what yer sayin'
is youve never second guessed Ash and if a a questionable transfer is added on by Ash

he's automatically a win at all costs addition?
{0r maybe he's worth a gamble}
that lately./hasn't been paying dividends

Kay

:-({|=

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:13 pm

catatonic1 wrote:is youve never second guessed Ash and if a a questionable transfer is added on by Ash
I haven't taken a victory lap to go back to read my posting history, but if I did, I'd bet that the phrase "never second guessed Ash" won't come to mind. I'm just saying that hunting for a transfer at a position with little depth or no decent starter is standard operating procedure for all Division I programs. Ash apparently doesn't feel the need to keep that a secret since he figures everyone knew that. I guess he was off by one.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:59 am

The griz have had transfers that SHOULD have been sent packing, the Cats actually sent those transfers packing when they didn't work out.

One thing you said was the griz have transfers contact them. That's what Sandland did with the Cats. I think that transfer is working out alright.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:34 am

How's this for transfers? Southern Califorina has three JC transfers.
They also have transfers from; Virgina Tech, Columbia, Texas Tech, Air Force, Flordia, Oklahoma, UC San Diego, Sam Houston and two from...Cal Poly.