Transfers

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Re: Transfers

Post by CPACAT » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:39 pm

catatonic1 wrote:so. what yer sayin'
is youve never second guessed Ash and if a a questionable transfer is added on by Ash

he's automatically a win at all costs addition?
{0r maybe he's worth a gamble}
that lately./hasn't been paying dividends

Kay

:-({|=
No need to second guess. You do enough for the whole board. Man you are an annoying troll.

IYAACYAS

33MONTEBOSTON33
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 33MONTEBOSTON33 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:11 pm

I THINK A BASIC PHILOSOPHY OF OFFENSIVE DOMINANCE WINS GAMES IS HELD BY ASH/CRAMSEY. I HAVE SEEN IT THE LAST 4 YEARS. LONG RANGE PLANNING AND FUTURE PLAYER DEVELOPMENT IS A 4 YR PROJECT. I AM NOT SURE THE DEFENSE IS GETTING A FAIR SHARE OF TALENT IN RECRUITING TRANSFERS OR FRESHMAN. SOMETHING IS BROKEN BADLY.
JUST SEEMS OFFENSE GETS ALL THE GOLD TALENT. (SORRY CAPS LOCK STUCK) ](*,) ](*,)

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:24 pm

33MONTEBOSTON33 wrote:I THINK A BASIC PHILOSOPHY OF OFFENSIVE DOMINANCE WINS GAMES IS HELD BY ASH/CRAMSEY. I HAVE SEEN IT THE LAST 4 YEARS. LONG RANGE PLANNING AND FUTURE PLAYER DEVELOPMENT IS A 4 YR PROJECT. I AM NOT SURE THE DEFENSE IS GETTING A FAIR SHARE OF TALENT IN RECRUITING TRANSFERS OR FRESHMAN. SOMETHING IS BROKEN BADLY.
JUST SEEMS OFFENSE GETS ALL THE GOLD TALENT. (SORRY CAPS LOCK STUCK) ](*,) ](*,)
The defense is very athletic and talented. Very.

They need to go have a few beers together, but in place of that they'll have to settle for knocking each other around. Time is now on their side. They need to use it wisely.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:33 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
33MONTEBOSTON33 wrote:I THINK A BASIC PHILOSOPHY OF OFFENSIVE DOMINANCE WINS GAMES IS HELD BY ASH/CRAMSEY. I HAVE SEEN IT THE LAST 4 YEARS. LONG RANGE PLANNING AND FUTURE PLAYER DEVELOPMENT IS A 4 YR PROJECT. I AM NOT SURE THE DEFENSE IS GETTING A FAIR SHARE OF TALENT IN RECRUITING TRANSFERS OR FRESHMAN. SOMETHING IS BROKEN BADLY.
The defense is very athletic and talented. Very.

They need to go have a few beers together, but in place of that they'll have to settle for knocking each other around. Time is now on their side. They need to use it wisely.
Especially the 2015 recruits. Ash went all in on defense in this class, not only in the number of recruits but the quality (at least as it looks on paper)!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:24 pm

Seems to me it's very short sighted to only try to get the best athletes on one side of the ball or the other. There is absolutely nooooooo reason that a team would focus on one side or the other. If I'm recruiting I'm going after the best on both sides. I hope comments to the contrary are unfounded. If not........ Damn. Just Damn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:19 pm

Sandland sucks. He can't compete at
FCS ( and no way at fbs) no talent at blocking or catching in traffic.
Will not be drafted in NFL or cfl.
Maybe in wfl.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:38 pm

Montanabob wrote:Sandland sucks. He can't compete at
Maybe in wfl.
Good grief! What the hell happened to this place?

No Sandland doesn't suck. He's actually quite good. He does need work on blocking technique, yes, but suck? No

Forget your lithium today?

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:53 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Montanabob wrote:Sandland sucks. He can't compete at
Maybe in wfl.
Good grief! What the hell happened to this place?

No Sandland doesn't suck. He's actually quite good. He does need work on blocking technique, yes, but suck? No

Forget your lithium today?
Some people seem offended when comparisons to egrizz role out. In actuality it's a compliment to becoming successful. Yes Montanabob's post indicates he needs to make a trip to the pharmacy, but it also means that this program has advanced to the point the guys like Sandland are now anonymously thrown under the bus. Goes with the territory of dealing with high expectations. If Sandland sucks in the mind of an anonymous poster in a fan forum, we are actually well beyond even where I could have imagined our program right now. I'll take it.

Buckets1234
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Buckets1234 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:43 pm

I'm just curious, do you think the staff as a whole decided not to recruit defensive players as much or as aggressively? Or do you think the offense just hit on more recruits that worked out?

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:21 am

Buckets1234 wrote:
I'm just curious, do you think the staff as a whole decided not to recruit defensive players as much or as aggressively? Or do you think the offense just hit on more recruits that worked out?
I think that at the current time the offense just has more players that have worked out. Seems to me that if you are trying to build all your players from HS recruits, you will from time to time have difficulties at various positions/units as the result of injuries, early graduations or other unplanned departures, etc. - at least at this level. More schollies at the FBS level removes some of the ups and downs. When dealing with the unplanned departures at this level, it seems to become cyclical. The need to reload a bunch of players on one or the other unit, ends up with a bunch of seasoned players all leaving at the same time and they cycle repeats. Plus, every player you expect to be a superstar doesn't turn out to be one and you may have two to three years invested before you know for sure.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:18 am

catscat wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
I think that at the current time the offense just has more players that have worked out. Seems to me that if you are trying to build all your players from HS recruits, you will from time to time have difficulties at various positions/units as the result of injuries, early graduations or other unplanned departures, etc. - at least at this level. More schollies at the FBS level removes some of the ups and downs. When dealing with the unplanned departures at this level, it seems to become cyclical. The need to reload a bunch of players on one or the other unit, ends up with a bunch of seasoned players all leaving at the same time and they cycle repeats. Plus, every player you expect to be a superstar doesn't turn out to be one and you may have two to three years invested before you know for sure.
Fa'anono 3 star
Tappan 3 star
Carter 3 star
Evans 2 star
Ojo 2 star
Hutchins 2 star
Keeton 2 star
King 2 star
Thomas 2 star
Clark 2 star
We have 21 star rated players. Ten on defense. We have six Gatorade/AA MVPs three on offense, three on defense.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:03 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:
catscat wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
Fa'anono 3 star
Tappan 3 star
Carter 3 star
Evans 2 star
Ojo 2 star
Hutchins 2 star
Keeton 2 star
King 2 star
Thomas 2 star
Clark 2 star
We have 21 star rated players. Ten on defense. We have six Gatorade/AA MVPs three on offense, three on defense.
How good you are at football when you are 18 and how good you are when you are 23 are vastly different things and the reason college football is so fascinating. If every kid was a five-star as an incoming freshman and stayed that way, there would be hardly any variance in the standings from year to year. In my opinion, being highly rated coming out of high school, particularly with the prevalence of social media and constant gratification is the worst thing that can happen to a kid.

The best players I've covered in my 10 years as a sportswriter:

Montana DE Kroy Biermann — UM was his only offer out of Hardin High. He was a 4th-round NFL draft pick.
Montana safety Colt Anderson — everyone knows the story.
Montana WR Marc Mariani — He was cut and had to walk back on his second season. NFL draft pick.
Montana RB Chase Reynolds - split a scholarship with Alex Verlanic out of high school, NFL veteran.
Montana DE Zack Wagenmann — partial scholarship, on an NFL roster.

Central Washington quarterback Mike Reilly — walked on at Washington State, didn't work, came at set records at CWU, is a CFL starter.
CWU WR Johnny Spevak — walked on at CWU, had a borderline shot at the NFL.
CWU linebacker Adam Bighill - walked on at CWU, now starts for the BC Lions.

Montana State linebacker Jody Owens - Montana State was his only Division I offer.
Montana State quarterback Jody Owens — Had MSU and Air Force offers out of high school.
Montana State defensive tackle Zach Minter — MSU was his only offer, I believe.
MSU DE Caleb Schreibeis — walk-on
MSU RB Cody Kirk — walk-on

You get my point. At this level, you don't want kids who choose FCS because they think they will be a star right away. Because, honestly, it's almost never that easy. You can be an NFL prospect and still not absolutely dominate the Big Sky. You can be very, very productive, sure. But very few guys — drop downs, 4-star recruits — dominate the league from Day 1.

Fa'anono 3 star — recruited out of position, playing DE instead of DT earlier than they wanted him to.
Tappan 3 star — Thought he could dominate, doesn't even start.
Carter 3 star — Thought he could dominate, doesn't give the effort indicating he cares if he dominates or not now. Either way, his ceiling is not of a dominant Big Sky player.
Evans 2 star — Blown out his knee twice, shell of what he used to be, lost most of his speed, remains to be seen if he can get it back.
Ojo 2 star — Hurt his knee the first day of fall camp, tight in the hips, big body, not sure what he'll become.
Hutchins 2 star — been moved position one too many times - too light to hold the edge at his current weight, wonder if back surgery is still hindering him?
Keeton 2 star - Started at safety, FBS school wouldn't let him play corner, now he's playing corner with less than stellar results. I'll leave it at that.
King 2 star — Doesn't seem to have any desire to tackle.
Thomas 2 star — was rated two star as an offensive lineman. Tough as nails, not necessarily an impact player.
Clark 2 star— coming along, remains to be seen if he can play within a system.
Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:08 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
catscat wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
Fa'anono 3 star
Tappan 3 star
Carter 3 star
Evans 2 star
Ojo 2 star
Hutchins 2 star
Keeton 2 star
King 2 star
Thomas 2 star
Clark 2 star
How good you are at football when you are 18 and how good you are when you are 23 are vastly different things and the reason college football is so fascinating. If every kid was a five-star as an incoming freshman and stayed that way, there would be hardly any variance in the standings from year to year. In my opinion, being highly rated coming out of high school, particularly with the prevalence of social media and constant gratification is the worst thing that can happen to a kid.

Montana DE Kroy Biermann — UM was his only offer out of Hardin High. He was a 4th-round NFL draft pick.
Montana safety Colt Anderson — everyone knows the story.
Montana WR Marc Mariani — He was cut and had to walk back on his second season. NFL draft pick.
Montana RB Chase Reynolds - split a scholarship with Alex Verlanic out of high school, NFL draft pick.
Montana DE Zack Wagenmann — partial scholarship, NFL draft pick.

Central Washington quarterback Mike Reilly — walked on at Washington State, didn't work, came at set records at CWU, is a CFL starter.
CWU WR Johnny Spevak — walked on at CWU, had a borderline shot at the NFL.

Montana State linebacker Jody Owens - Montana State was his only Division I offer.
Montana State quarterback Jody Owens — Had MSU and Air Force offers out of high school.
MSU RB Cody Kirk — walk-on

You get my point. At this level, you don't want kids who choose FCS because they think they will be a star right away. Because, honestly, it's almost never that easy. You can be an NFL prospect and still not absolutely dominate the Big Sky. You can be very, very productive, sure. But very few guys — drop downs, 4-star recruits — dominate the league from Day 1.
Wagenmann and Reynolds were actually undrafted rookie free agent signings...but I see your point Colter.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:19 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
catscat wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
Fa'anono 3 star
Tappan 3 star
Carter 3 star
Evans 2 star
Ojo 2 star
Hutchins 2 star
Keeton 2 star
King 2 star
Thomas 2 star
Clark 2 star

Montana WR Marc Mariani — He was cut and had to walk back on his second season. NFL draft pick.
Montana RB Chase Reynolds - split a scholarship with Alex Verlanic out of high school, NFL veteran.

Montana State quarterback Jody Owens — Had MSU and Air Force offers out of high school.

You get my point. At this level, you don't want kids who choose FCS because they think they will be a star right away. Because, honestly, it's almost never that easy. You can be an NFL prospect and still not absolutely dominate the Big Sky. You can be very, very productive, sure. But very few guys — drop downs, 4-star recruits — dominate the league from Day 1.

Fa'anono 3 star — recruited out of position, playing DE instead of DT earlier than they wanted him to.
Carter 3 star — Thought he could dominate, doesn't give the effort indicating he cares if he dominates or not now. Either way, his ceiling is not of a dominant Big Sky player.
Evans 2 star — Blown out his knee twice, shell of what he used to be, lost most of his speed, remains to be seen if he can get it back.
Ojo 2 star — Hurt his knee the first day of fall camp, tight in the hips, big body, not sure what he'll become.
Hutchins 2 star — been moved position one too many times - too light to hold the edge at his current weight, wonder if back surgery is still hindering him?
Keeton 2 star - Started at safety, FBS school wouldn't let him play corner, now he's playing corner with less than stellar results. I'll leave it at that.
Thomas 2 star — was rated two star as an offensive lineman. Tough as nails, not necessarily an impact player.
My comment is a response about the effort put forth recruiting offense vs recruiting defense. So I'm not sure why you're responding to me.

Do you think the coaches recruit offense harder and shirk their duties toward the D?

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:47 am

I think you have an interesting point too, Colter but I'm not sure if you were trying to directly address what bracket was saying. I think he is just pointing out the balance in recruitment from the outset (before players have had a chance to grow into their britches), and I actually think he has a good point here.

It looks like you accidentally put in Jody Owens twice (second time as QB). Who were you referring to the second time?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:49 am

DriscollCat wrote:I think you have an interesting point too, Colter but I'm not sure if you were trying to directly address what bracket was saying. I think he is just pointing out the balance in recruitment from the outset (before players have had a chance to grow into their britches), and I actually think he has a good point here.

It looks like you accidentally put in Jody Owens twice (second time as QB). Who were you referring to the second time?
Denarius...I think.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:00 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:I think you have an interesting point too, Colter but I'm not sure if you were trying to directly address what bracket was saying. I think he is just pointing out the balance in recruitment from the outset (before players have had a chance to grow into their britches), and I actually think he has a good point here.

Denarius...I think.
Thanks Vim.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:24 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
catscat wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
Fa'anono 3 star
Tappan 3 star
Carter 3 star
Evans 2 star
Ojo 2 star
Hutchins 2 star
Keeton 2 star
King 2 star
Thomas 2 star
Clark 2 star

My comment is a response about the effort put forth recruiting offense vs recruiting defense. So I'm not sure why you're responding to me.

Do you think the coaches recruit offense harder and shirk their duties toward the D?
Bracket, I know that I have seen a video where some of our defense and offense coaching staff described how they have a tug of war over many of the recruits. I also have read interviews with coach Ash where he talked about recruiting for both sides of the ball and if I remember right he talked about emphasizing the D. Sorry I can't seem to find the links to those but hopefully another kind and more knowledgeable Cat fan can provide them for you and all who are interested.
I do hope that no one jumps down your throat about your question and accuses you of trying to start a coach bash or tells you that you should already know how to find the info you asked about. Thankfully there aren't many posters here that fit in that bracket but there is at least one. Good luck in the future.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:28 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
catscat wrote:
Buckets1234 wrote:
Fa'anono 3 star
Tappan 3 star
Carter 3 star
Evans 2 star
Ojo 2 star
Hutchins 2 star
Keeton 2 star
King 2 star
Thomas 2 star
Clark 2 star

Bracket, I know that I have seen a video where some of our defense and offense coaching staff described how they have a tug of war over many of the recruits. I also have read interviews with coach Ash where he talked about recruiting for both sides of the ball and if I remember right he talked about emphasizing the D. Sorry I can't seem to find the links to those but hopefully another kind and more knowledgeable Cat fan can provide them for you and all who are interested.
I do hope that no one jumps down your throat about your question and accuses you of trying to start a coach bash or tells you that you should already know how to find the info you asked about. Thankfully there aren't many posters here that fit in that bracket but there is at least one. Good luck in the future.
Oh hardy-har-har. Good one Bloe Jobcat! That's okay. I can do my own work. No help needed here. I asked Colter for his opinion, not really a specific question, but it's somewhat rhetorical as I'm fairly certain I know the answer.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:33 pm

Just trying to help you out buddy. Again good luck in the future.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!