The time has come

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

The time has come

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:35 am

And move on

I don't have any confidence that this team/coaches will learn anything from yesterday.

Expect to see a shootout next week when Sac State comes to town.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Re: The time has come

Post by 94VegasCat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:40 am

I know that sometimes when a team poops their pants, coaches won't show them the tape. Just move forward mentality. We better start learning from our mistakes and quit letting the media win the conference title for us. Cookus said in their game prep, they new what our d was going to do and they worked on beating it. And like a giant drum, they did.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:17 am

I'm not a regular poster and don't want to be like some others that only post after a loss calling for someone's head. I thought that Coach Ash's quote in the BDC was worth posting. "I guess 49 point is a lot of points, and we've got to get some questions answered. We've still got the capacity to score a lot of points, so I don't think it's a huge change that has to be made. We've got to make a couple more stops.". :-k

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:23 am

rivercat wrote:I'm not a regular poster and don't want to be like some others that only post after a loss calling for someone's head. I thought that Coach Ash's quote in the BDC was worth posting. "I guess 49 point is a lot of points, and we've got to get some questions answered. We've still got the capacity to score a lot of points, so I don't think it's a huge change that has to be made. We've got to make a couple more stops.". :-k
I actually agree with his sentiment in that quote, because it's basically talking about the art of the possible. Coach certainly knows they are not going to turn into a good or dominant defense this season. However, the staff can probably still convince themselves that they can coax another stop per half out of them, and with our offense, plus the best offenses in the league already behind us, will be enough to win our remaining games.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:27 am

One step closer.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:13 am

Hawks86 wrote:One step closer.
To what?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:24 am

Midnight Oil?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:26 am

91catAlum wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:One step closer.
To what?

For some to get what they want.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Jobu
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Jobu » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:55 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
rivercat wrote:I'm not a regular poster and don't want to be like some others that only post after a loss calling for someone's head. I thought that Coach Ash's quote in the BDC was worth posting. "I guess 49 point is a lot of points, and we've got to get some questions answered. We've still got the capacity to score a lot of points, so I don't think it's a huge change that has to be made. We've got to make a couple more stops.". :-k
I actually agree with his sentiment in that quote, because it's basically talking about the art of the possible. Coach certainly knows they are not going to turn into a good or dominant defense this season. However, the staff can probably still convince themselves that they can coax another stop per half out of them, and with our offense, plus the best offenses in the league already behind us, will be enough to win our remaining games.

Sometimes I wonder if they are the best offenses in the league because they faced our defense.

But I agree; it's obvious to me that Ash has absolutely no confidence in the defense to get off the field. Ever. I think the staff is hoping that over the next few weeks they can develop to the point where they can get even a couple of stops and win it with offense.

It's a tough way to coach and a difficult thing for fans to watch, but it's where we are now.
Last edited by Jobu on Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hats for bats. Keeps bats warm.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:12 pm

Jobu wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if they are the best offenses in the league because they faced our defense.

But I agree; it's obvious to me that Ash has absolutely no confidence in the defense to get off the field. Ever. I think the staff is hoping that over the next few weeks they can develop to the point where they can get even a couple of stops and win it wi defense.

It's a tough way to coach and a difficult thing for fans to watch, but it's where we are now.
I'd say Cal Poly has the best run game in the league and EWU has the best pass offense in the league. No question. Who's better? NAU has the second best trio of receivers in the league and Cookus is a good QB. They also have a good line when healthy and a good running back. After a slow start they were taking it to UM, which I think you'd agree that UM has a great defense, in the second half with nearly 250 yards of total offense last week. So, regardless of who they play, they put up good numbers. Poly had 500 yards rushing last night.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:18 pm

We never got off the bus yesterday in all three facets. Not the first time and not the last time we play like total crap in Flag. Hate that place.

As for the D, the place we can actually improve is on the pass rush. If we can start getting to the QB, all our other guys will look more serviceable. Need to start knocking opposing QBs in their ass early and often and this D can get to 'average' or possibly 'above average'.

Here's where I'm at. I really do think we can run off 6 straight wins, but if we then lose to um, it will still be considered a disappointing season. We'll probably get a first round home game on the bid but overall the fan base will not be satisfied and the rumble of frustration will grow. If we lose other in the next 6 but beat the grizz everyone will be happy and it will be considered a great season and everyone will be excited about the playoffs and the home game. Same 8-3 record. Even 7-4 but ending the season with a big Brawl win will be satisfying to most fans.

In other words the Brawl is really what this season is boiling down to even if we make the playoffs with a loss in that game. We fans are actually that neurotic.

Personally I think 9-2 is still in the cards. A reeling Sac team at home is what we need to measure the character and psychology of this team. If this is another shootout and poor defensive performance, then we all need to settle in and hope for the best the rest of the year and enjoy the wizardry of DP. If the D shuts these guys down then I will continue to remain hopeful.

catatonic1
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catatonic1 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:28 pm

Yep, like he said....

As always, it' s really only a one game season....
Always has been, always will, It will be about the Griz and really nothing else....
being little bother sucks.....
but some years not as much as most
:wink:

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:49 pm

Darth Yoda wrote:We never got off the bus yesterday in all three facets. Not the first time and not the last time we play like total crap in Flag. Hate that place.

As for the D, the place we can actually improve is on the pass rush. If we can start getting to the QB, all our other guys will look more serviceable. Need to start knocking opposing QBs in their ass early and often and this D can get to 'average' or possibly 'above average'.

Here's where I'm at. I really do think we can run off 6 straight wins, but if we then lose to um, it will still be considered a disappointing season. We'll probably get a first round home game on the bid but overall the fan base will not be satisfied and the rumble of frustration will grow. If we lose other in the next 6 but beat the grizz everyone will be happy and it will be considered a great season and everyone will be excited about the playoffs and the home game. Same 8-3 record. Even 7-4 but ending the season with a big Brawl win will be satisfying to most fans.

In other words the Brawl is really what this season is boiling down to even if we make the playoffs with a loss in that game. We fans are actually that neurotic.

Personally I think 9-2 is still in the cards. A reeling Sac team at home is what we need to measure the character and psychology of this team. If this is another shootout and poor defensive performance, then we all need to settle in and hope for the best the rest of the year and enjoy the wizardry of DP. If the D shuts these guys down then I will continue to remain hopeful.
Hopeful?

As I said earlier, the expectations are pretty low except for Prukop. That kid should win the Payton and do so on a dominant team. But the defense is still learning and trying to put the pieces together. And that fact is not going to magically disappear this season. Was Kane the answer? Apparently not, but I'm not ready to write him off just yet because he's actually making adjustments in game to try to limit the opposition. That in and of itself is an improvement. What I don't understand is after struggling at the two tackle positions for the last 2.5 seasons, why Sheridan is still there? He's a great end. He's a natural end and him moving to tackle was just supposed to be a stop gap. Yates and Thomas are prototype nose and tackle players respectively and they play like it. Both are state champ wrestlers who know how to get nasty and fight off the blockers. I'm not saying that Sheridan sucks at tackle. He doesn't. He's serviceable at tackle and that's it. He's awesome at end. I was at the Poly game. That's where he should be. Quit trying to put a square peg in a round hole all the time. I think we have the players, I just don't think we put them in the best position to succeed and that's coaching. Last year we heard Beck say the same thing about Marshall. Well Mr Model of Awesome (Beck), or whatever it is you call yourself, maybe you should take a long look in the mirror.

So until we decide to build on positive changes and not revert back to old habits, I expect nothing other than the entertainment derived from the Dakota Prukop show.

This team is like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates

We could lose every game or we could go on a roll and win the NC. Neither would surprise me.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:22 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Darth Yoda wrote:We never got off the bus yesterday in all three facets. Not the first time and not the last time we play like total crap in Flag. Hate that place.

Hopeful?

As I said earlier, the expectations are pretty low except for Prukop. That kid should win the Payton and do so on a dominant team. But the defense is still learning and trying to put the pieces together. And that fact is not going to magically disappear this season. Was Kane the answer? Apparently not, but I'm not ready to write him off just yet because he's actually making adjustments in game to try to limit the opposition. That in and of itself is an improvement. What I don't understand is after struggling at the two tackle positions for the last 2.5 seasons, why Sheridan is still there? He's a great end. He's a natural end and him moving to tackle was just supposed to be a stop gap. Yates and Thomas are prototype nose and tackle players respectively and they play like it. Both are state champ wrestlers who know how to get nasty and fight off the blockers. I'm not saying that Sheridan sucks at tackle. He doesn't. He's serviceable at tackle and that's it. He's awesome at end. I was at the Poly game. That's where he should be. Quit trying to put a square peg in a round hole all the time. I think we have the players, I just don't think we put them in the best position to succeed and that's coaching. Last year we heard Beck say the same thing about Marshall. Well Mr Model of Awesome (Beck), or whatever it is you call yourself, maybe you should take a long look in the mirror.

So until we decide to build on positive changes and not revert back to old habits, I expect nothing other than the entertainment derived from the Dakota Prukop show.

This team is like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates

We could lose every game or we could go on a roll and win the NC. Neither would surprise me.
I've told you my thoughts as to what happens to the kids when they get to MSU. Although I don't see the decline yet in the kids as sophomores and juniors, you have to be realistic and the North Dakota game looks to be the defining game for this season and this offense, in my opinion. I watched a high school game Friday night where the defense took away the run by loading the box with 8 to 10 kids every play. The sandlot bubble and inside screens got jumped the rest of the game and I left the game thinking it wasn't on the kids because you could see what was happening from the stands. The NAU coach had their kids ready and they went out and executed. Ours experienced a change, an unnecessary change, and when a 5'9" or so cornerback is put up against a kid half a foot taller and just as fast with bigger hands and a quarterback who gets to sit back and read all his text messages before he decides to throw it to either one of his receivers, you could easily see it coming. Yesterday was frustrating to watch and I hope our kids spend some time working on statistics...you know, two point conversions and onside kicks because we may as well give to them on our 30 intstead of theirs. We ought to be able to run a hundred plays or so and win the TOP battle again...and let's forget about all the space we had for slants early in the game while NAU was stopping our running game...

33MONTEBOSTON33
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 33MONTEBOSTON33 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:58 pm

To stop the bleeding. Fix what is broken. Personnel changes. When a guy loses his job he becomes more aggressive and competitive for playing time. Move a few O hogs onto defense, Sheridan to end and quit playing man defense in secondary. Play more zone with deep safety help. Stop the bleeding before we all bleed to death. :twisted: :twisted:

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:17 pm

Ash's quote really bothers me. I have been an Ash supporter but WTF!! It's like like telling your kid that the F was no good and maybe we can strive for a D. How do we expect the Cats to have a winning culture and attitude when the coach doesn't demand that? Do you think Lombardi or Rockne said it's okay to just get by? Heck, do you think Sonny Holland or Cliff Hysell or any prior Cat coach would endorse mediocrity? Come on Rob! We need a culture where we expect to win every game. We need a culture where mediocrity is not accepted. Mediocrity should be considered a failure and it is okay to say that..

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:32 pm

After Poly everyone was on cloud nine talking about our great offense, improvement on defense, and quality work by the coaching staff. I'll admit that Saturday we looked pretty bad but we need to remember that just one week ago optimism was the prevailing way of thinking around here. This is just one game and we certainly know that there are some glaring weaknesses but you can't scrap the whole thing just because there is a setback. Newell and Ash both talked about how they didn't like our preparation leading up to NAU. Hopefully this will prove to be a game where the team learned that you can't take a week or even a practice off. I thought that leading up to Poly we looked pretty good with players and coaches working hard and pushing in the right direction. If we can approach each week from here on out with that kind of intensity I think we'll see improvement.

All this talk about our D being hopeless and Ash sucks and Kane sucks needs to wait until the end of the year. This season these are our players and coaches and as fans and alums all we can do is hope they get better. If at the end of the season we look back at a bust then it will be appropriate to talk about where to place blame and what we should do going forward.

77matcat
Member # Retired

The time has come

Post by 77matcat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:12 pm

Wait. Wait. Hold the horses. If one of the captains and the head coach recognized the team wasn't focused or prepping for the game appropriately why didn't someone call a timeout and call a team meeting???

Do we just take a passive approach and hope all works out??? Coaching staff has to be able to read their team and know how to motivate.

Team didn't get off the buss and sounds like the attitude was apparent at practice. IMHO Someone missed a basic responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:22 pm

utucats wrote:After Poly everyone was on cloud nine talking about our great offense, improvement on defense, and quality work by the coaching staff. I'll admit that Saturday we looked pretty bad but we need to remember that just one week ago optimism was the prevailing way of thinking around here. This is just one game and we certainly know that there are some glaring weaknesses but you can't scrap the whole thing just because there is a setback. Newell and Ash both talked about how they didn't like our preparation leading up to NAU. Hopefully this will prove to be a game where the team learned that you can't take a week or even a practice off. I thought that leading up to Poly we looked pretty good with players and coaches working hard and pushing in the right direction. If we can approach each week from here on out with that kind of intensity I think we'll see improvement.

All this talk about our D being hopeless and Ash sucks and Kane sucks needs to wait until the end of the year. This season these are our players and coaches and as fans and alums all we can do is hope they get better. If at the end of the season we look back at a bust then it will be appropriate to talk about where to place blame and what we should do going forward.
I agree with you. And this is the real point, not whether or not things can be fixed. I would add, support and cheer-on to hope they get better.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:39 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
utucats wrote:After Poly everyone was on cloud nine talking about our great offense, improvement on defense, and quality work by the coaching staff. I'll admit that Saturday we looked pretty bad but we need to remember that just one week ago optimism was the prevailing way of thinking around here. This is just one game and we certainly know that there are some glaring weaknesses but you can't scrap the whole thing just because there is a setback. Newell and Ash both talked about how they didn't like our preparation leading up to NAU. Hopefully this will prove to be a game where the team learned that you can't take a week or even a practice off. I thought that leading up to Poly we looked pretty good with players and coaches working hard and pushing in the right direction. If we can approach each week from here on out with that kind of intensity I think we'll see improvement.

I agree with you. And this is the real point, not whether or not things can be fixed. I would add, support and cheer-on to hope they get better.
Just like the old days